sky digital out again?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. Is out for me, anyone else?
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 5, 2006

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    JohnO Guest

    Nope
    JohnO, Apr 5, 2006

  3. "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Nope

    FTA feeds still ok aswell.
    Gavin & Sandy, Apr 5, 2006
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:27:59 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Is out for me, anyone else?

    Did you pay your bill? :)
    Craig Shore, Apr 5, 2006
  5. news.xtra.co.nz

    Mercury Guest

    "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    > Is out for me, anyone else?

    Its OK down here.
    Mercury, Apr 5, 2006
  6. "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:27:59 +1200, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Is out for me, anyone else?

    > Did you pay your bill? :)

    He he perhaps not.

    I phoned sky, and , turning mysky off / on fixed it.

    Mysky has so many quirks it is not funny.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 5, 2006
  7. "Gavin & Sandy" <> wrote in message
    > "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    >> Nope
    >>

    > FTA feeds still ok aswell.

    Seems plug in/plug out did the trick.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 6, 2006
  8. "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message

    > "Gavin & Sandy" <> wrote in message
    > > "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    > >> Nope
    > >>

    > > FTA feeds still ok aswell.
    > >

    > Seems plug in/plug out did the trick.

    Zenith decoder?
    Gavin & Sandy, Apr 6, 2006
  9. "Gavin & Sandy" <> wrote in message

    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Gavin & Sandy" <> wrote in message
    >> > "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    >> >>

    >> > FTA feeds still ok aswell.
    >> >

    >> Seems plug in/plug out did the trick.

    > Zenith decoder?

    mysky

    It never did this before except on last thursday....so, assumed it was the
    satellite again.

    Mysky has lots and lots of 'minor' bugs. Actually, I'm surprised the mysky
    software ever made it past production testing.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 6, 2006
  10. news.xtra.co.nz

    d Guest

    In article <vE_Yf.11183$>,
    says...
    > Mysky has lots and lots of 'minor' bugs. Actually, I'm surprised the mysky
    > software ever made it past production testing.

    I doubt it did.

    Sky decided to sell it to you, bugs and all, and have you paying for it
    while they worked them out.

    1) You get your box.
    2) They get your money.
    3) They can fix them at their leisure (See 2)

    Life on the (b)leeding edge of technology I'm afraid.

    D.
    d, Apr 6, 2006
  11. news.xtra.co.nz

    Richard Guest

    d wrote:

    > I doubt it did.
    >
    > Sky decided to sell it to you, bugs and all, and have you paying for it
    > while they worked them out.
    >
    > 1) You get your box.
    > 2) They get your money.
    > 3) They can fix them at their leisure (See 2)
    >
    > Life on the (b)leeding edge of technology I'm afraid.

    The tesing probarbly consisted of getting a panel of joe average people, showing
    the mysky to them, and asking "would you pay $599 to get these capabilities?" -
    once they had the target percentage saying yes, then development ceased :)
    Richard, Apr 6, 2006
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > d wrote:
    >
    > > I doubt it did.
    > >
    > > Sky decided to sell it to you, bugs and all, and have you paying for it
    > > while they worked them out.
    > >
    > > 1) You get your box.
    > > 2) They get your money.
    > > 3) They can fix them at their leisure (See 2)
    > >
    > > Life on the (b)leeding edge of technology I'm afraid.

    > The tesing probarbly consisted of getting a panel of joe average people,

    showing
    > the mysky to them, and asking "would you pay $599 to get these

    capabilities?" -
    > once they had the target percentage saying yes, then development ceased :)

    They didnt develop anything. The box is exactly the same as the one that has
    been in use in Australia for at least the last 9 months
    Craig Sutton, Apr 6, 2006
  13. news.xtra.co.nz

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > > d wrote:
    > >
    > > > I doubt it did.
    > > >
    > > > Sky decided to sell it to you, bugs and all, and have you paying for it
    > > > while they worked them out.
    > > >
    > > > 1) You get your box.
    > > > 2) They get your money.
    > > > 3) They can fix them at their leisure (See 2)
    > > >
    > > > Life on the (b)leeding edge of technology I'm afraid.

    > > The tesing probarbly consisted of getting a panel of joe average people,

    > showing
    > > the mysky to them, and asking "would you pay $599 to get these

    > capabilities?" -
    > > once they had the target percentage saying yes, then development ceased :)

    > They didnt develop anything. The box is exactly the same as the one that has
    > been in use in Australia for at least the last 9 months

    You might be interested in an alternative to mysky that has been
    developed locally here in NZ. Its called myPVR, and whilst it can't
    decode the sky feed, it does provide considerably more features. Have a
    look at http://www.openmedia.co.nz for details.

    One big feature is unlike mysky, myPVR is your PVR. Yes you can
    actually own the hardware :)

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Apr 6, 2006
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    shannon Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    >>"Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>>The tesing probarbly consisted of getting a panel of joe average people,

    >>showing
    >>
    >>>the mysky to them, and asking "would you pay $599 to get these

    >>capabilities?" -
    >>
    >>>once they had the target percentage saying yes, then development ceased :)

    >>They didnt develop anything. The box is exactly the same as the one that has
    >>been in use in Australia for at least the last 9 months

    > You might be interested in an alternative to mysky that has been
    > developed locally here in NZ. Its called myPVR, and whilst it can't
    > decode the sky feed, it does provide considerably more features. Have a
    > look at http://www.openmedia.co.nz for details.
    >
    > One big feature is unlike mysky, myPVR is your PVR. Yes you can
    > actually own the hardware :)
    >
    > Steve

    Do you provide an EPG service for your product ?
    shannon, Apr 6, 2006
  15. news.xtra.co.nz

    Fishb8 Guest

    > "Gavin & Sandy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Gavin & Sandy" <> wrote in message

    >>> Seems plug in/plug out did the trick.

    >> Zenith decoder?
    >>

    > mysky
    >
    > It never did this before except on last thursday....so, assumed it was the
    > satellite again.
    >
    > Mysky has lots and lots of 'minor' bugs. Actually, I'm surprised the mysky
    > software ever made it past production testing.

    What bugs have you found? I'm really happy with MySky. Easy to use, very
    convenient and allows me to retire a couple of remotes.
    Fishb8, Apr 6, 2006
  16. "Fishb8" <> wrote in message

    > "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Gavin & Sandy" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "news.xtra.co.nz" <> wrote in message

    >>> Zenith decoder?
    >>>

    >> mysky
    >>
    >> It never did this before except on last thursday....so, assumed it was
    >> the satellite again.
    >>
    >> Mysky has lots and lots of 'minor' bugs. Actually, I'm surprised the
    >> mysky software ever made it past production testing.

    > What bugs have you found? I'm really happy with MySky. Easy to use, very
    > convenient and allows me to retire a couple of remotes.

    Well, firstly, receiving 'atmospheric conditions have caused loss of
    signal', and needing to reset.

    The well known '...searching' bug. This also causes the mysky to freeze, or
    drop the output signal to the telly.

    Setting series links recordings that suddenly stop working (ie, tv3 news
    just stopped recording one day).

    Missing the end of recordings - but, I have found a clumsy fix for that now.

    Recording 'skips' - happened to me once - it was like playing a corrupt
    dvd, where the program cannot playback so it jumps forward a few minutes.

    All of these are things that should just not happen.

    Overall, i am happy with mysky but the glitches are frustrating.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 7, 2006
  17. news.xtra.co.nz

    Steven Ellis Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Steven Ellis wrote:
    > >
    > > You might be interested in an alternative to mysky that has been
    > > developed locally here in NZ. Its called myPVR, and whilst it can't
    > > decode the sky feed, it does provide considerably more features. Have a
    > > look at http://www.openmedia.co.nz for details.
    > >
    > > One big feature is unlike mysky, myPVR is your PVR. Yes you can
    > > actually own the hardware :)
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > Do you provide an EPG service for your product ?

    I'm in talks to try and provide an official NZ EPG rather than the
    existing hacks. Wish me luck.

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Apr 7, 2006
  18. news.xtra.co.nz

    shannon Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >>Steven Ellis wrote:
    >>
    >>>You might be interested in an alternative to mysky that has been
    >>>developed locally here in NZ. Its called myPVR, and whilst it can't
    >>>decode the sky feed, it does provide considerably more features. Have a
    >>>look at http://www.openmedia.co.nz for details.
    >>>
    >>>One big feature is unlike mysky, myPVR is your PVR. Yes you can
    >>>actually own the hardware :)
    >>>
    >>>Steve
    >>>

    >>Do you provide an EPG service for your product ?

    > I'm in talks to try and provide an official NZ EPG rather than the
    > existing hacks. Wish me luck.
    >
    > Steve

    I'm using GBPVR and xmltv at the moment, so I'm acutely aware of the
    problem, and you definitely get my best wishes for your luck in that
    endeavour.
    shannon, Apr 7, 2006
  19. news.xtra.co.nz

    sub Guest

    "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message

    > You might be interested in an alternative to mysky that has been
    > developed locally here in NZ. Its called myPVR, and whilst it can't
    > decode the sky feed, it does provide considerably more features. Have a
    > look at http://www.openmedia.co.nz for details.
    >
    > One big feature is unlike mysky, myPVR is your PVR. Yes you can
    > actually own the hardware :)

    When you say it has been developed here locally in NZ, did any software
    actually get developed here? The screenshots just look like MythTV. Or do
    you mean "developed" as in "sourced hardware, made software images for
    installing on said hardware"? Anyway, good to see another user doing this
    sort of thing in NZ. Good luck to you.

    I'm also a developer of local home grown PVR software, namely GB-PVR (see
    www.gbpvr.com).

    BTW, I'll be interested to see what sort of pricing you come up with for
    your hardware.
    sub, Apr 8, 2006
  20. "Steven Ellis" <> wrote in message

    > shannon wrote:
    >> Steven Ellis wrote:
    >> >
    >> > You might be interested in an alternative to mysky that has been
    >> > developed locally here in NZ. Its called myPVR, and whilst it can't
    >> > decode the sky feed, it does provide considerably more features. Have a
    >> > look at http://www.openmedia.co.nz for details.
    >> >
    >> > One big feature is unlike mysky, myPVR is your PVR. Yes you can
    >> > actually own the hardware :)
    >> >
    >> > Steve
    >> >

    >> Do you provide an EPG service for your product ?

    > I'm in talks to try and provide an official NZ EPG rather than the
    > existing hacks. Wish me luck.
    >
    > Steve

    kiwis broadcasting businesses are total wankers.

    These are just tv guides for gods sake . These companies are holding NZ PVR
    technology in the dark ages in the hope of some far away future profit
    making. In the meantime they sit on their arses denying the people of NZ
    access to the simplest of information while not developing anything useful
    themselves. "If we can't have it then you can't have it na na na"
    attitude.

    In fact, this warrants a serious complaint to the commerce commission.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 10, 2006