"SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW" - Trailer!!!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by J. Alfred Prufrock, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. J. Alfred Prufrock, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Official title is now "The World of Tomorrow" according to IMDB and here is plot summary:

    Set in New York City circa 1939, the film centers on a reporter who notices that the world's scientists are disappearing.
    Teamed with a skilled pilot and an adventurous colleague, it's up to her to thwart the plans of a mad scientist bent on world domination.

    J. Alfred Prufrock, Dec 20, 2003

  3. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Peter Briggs Guest

    J. Alfred Prufrock <> wrote:

    > Official title is now "The World of Tomorrow" according to IMDB and here
    > is plot summary:
    >
    > Set in New York City circa 1939, the film centers on a reporter who
    > notices that the world's scientists are disappearing. Teamed with a
    > skilled pilot and an adventurous colleague, it's up to her to thwart the
    > plans of a mad scientist bent on world domination.

    This thing's been pissing me off for a year or so, as it's exactly the
    kind of thing I float by studios, and they look at me like I'm insane.

    I hope these guys don't drop the ball with it...

    Peter Briggs, Dec 20, 2003
  4. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Wade365 Guest

    << This thing's been pissing me off for a year or so, as it's exactly the
    kind of thing I float by studios, and they look at me like I'm insane. >>

    I feel the same way about velcro.

    Wade365, Dec 21, 2003
  5. J. Alfred Prufrock wrote:
    > Any of you guys seen this trailer yet???

    Yes, it looks like crap. What kind of film has dialogue like "Oh, my
    God" anymore? And the Nazi allegory is somewhat ironic.

    Tallulah Blanket, Dec 21, 2003
  6. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Tallulah Blanket <> wrote:

    > Yes, it looks like crap. What kind of film has dialogue like "Oh, my
    > God" anymore?

    Any documentary about 9-11, or anything depicting real life?

    Peter Briggs, Dec 21, 2003
  7. J. Alfred Prufrock

    John Savard Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:46:03 +0000,
    pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote, in part:

    >This thing's been pissing me off for a year or so, as it's exactly the
    >kind of thing I float by studios, and they look at me like I'm insane.

    Well, of course. Everybody knows that only Spielberg and Lucas can get
    away with this kind of thing.

    John Savard

    John Savard, Dec 21, 2003
  8. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Peter Briggs Guest

    John Savard <> wrote:

    > Well, of course. Everybody knows that only Spielberg and Lucas can get
    > away with this kind of thing.

    I hope the FX look better in the finished film than they do in the
    trailer, though. I'm a sucker for "Rocketeer"-esque retro sci-fi.

    Peter Briggs, Dec 21, 2003
  9. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Jay G Guest

    "J. Alfred Prufrock" <> wrote ...
    > Any of you guys seen this trailer yet???

    http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/skycaptainandtheworldoftomorrow/skycaptain_large.html

    > Looks like it is not yet finished as music is from"STARGATE SG-1"

    Pretty much every trailer uses music from some other source.
    That's because most of the time trailers are edited together
    before the actual film is, and the score for a film isn't recorded
    until the film is in it's final edit. It's pretty much the last thing
    done on a film.

    This is also the reason why trailers often feature footage that
    isn't in the final film, because the trailer was edited using
    existing footage, before the final cut of the film was made.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Dec 21, 2003
  10. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Is the title really "Sky Captain and... " now? How lame. Were they
    afraid of audience confusion with Roland Emmerich's impending flop The
    Day After Tomorrow?

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 21, 2003
  11. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Joshua Zyber <> wrote:

    > Is the title really "Sky Captain and... " now? How lame. Were they
    > afraid of audience confusion with Roland Emmerich's impending flop The
    > Day After Tomorrow?

    Oh, I don't know. I think it's kinda cute!

    Peter Briggs, Dec 21, 2003
  12. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Peter Briggs" <pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Is the title really "Sky Captain and... " now? How lame. Were they
    > > afraid of audience confusion with Roland Emmerich's impending flop

    The
    > > Day After Tomorrow?

    > Oh, I don't know. I think it's kinda cute!

    Box office poison is what it is. Though I suppose this type of movie is
    destined to tank no matter what they call it. Actual quality aside
    (obviously I haven't seen it yet), I'm surprised the studio would sink
    movie into a genre (retro sci-fi) that has never connected with
    audiences.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 22, 2003
  13. Peter Briggs wrote:
    > Tallulah Blanket <> wrote:
    >

    >>Yes, it looks like crap. What kind of film has dialogue like "Oh, my
    >>God" anymore?

    > Any documentary about 9-11, or anything depicting real life?

    FIlms aren't real life. They're supposed to be better than that. Or at
    least more imaginative.

    Tallulah Blanket, Dec 22, 2003
  14. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Joshua Zyber <> wrote:

    > Box office poison is what it is. Though I suppose this type of movie is
    > destined to tank no matter what they call it. Actual quality aside
    > (obviously I haven't seen it yet), I'm surprised the studio would sink
    > movie into a genre (retro sci-fi) that has never connected with
    > audiences.

    "Mass audiences", you mean? Well, yeah. But some of these films:
    "Rocketeer", "Iron Giant" (yes, even "The Shadow"...a guilty pleasure)
    are beloved after the event.

    Hell, you could even throw the camp "Flash Gordon" and the last 2 "Star
    Wars" movies in there as "Retro" succesful retro examples, I guess.

    I'm also fairly convinced that the movie WILL be terrible, as you say,
    but just seeing those "Iron Giant"/Gort mutations stomping around on
    cars is enough to bring out the grinning, freckly 10 year old in me.

    Peter Briggs, Dec 22, 2003
  15. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Tallulah Blanket <> wrote:

    > > Any documentary about 9-11, or anything depicting real life?

    > FIlms aren't real life. They're supposed to be better than that.

    Much as a I love movies more than anything else, I still wouldn't trade
    them for my life.

    Peter Briggs, Dec 22, 2003
  16. J. Alfred Prufrock

    John Savard Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 05:18:11 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote, in part:

    >Box office poison is what it is. Though I suppose this type of movie is
    >destined to tank no matter what they call it. Actual quality aside
    >(obviously I haven't seen it yet), I'm surprised the studio would sink
    >movie into a genre (retro sci-fi) that has never connected with
    >audiences.

    It is true that Rocketeer and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    did not do terribly well at the box office. Did Wild, Wild West do any
    better?

    But I think you're defining the genre too narrowly.

    Think Star Wars, which begat Battlestar Galactica.

    Think Indiana Jones, which begat Tomb Raider.

    This is simply one more attempt to take the old "serials" and reinvent
    them for a modern audience. The genre is a bit different, in order to
    provide some distance from those two films.

    Perhaps, though, you are right that this won't work, and so Hollywood
    should cast its net wider in looking for action-adventure melodrama.
    It might look to the science-fiction movies of the 1950s; for example,
    Forbidden Planet. Oh, wait, someone else has already done *that* too,
    spinning off a highly (well, moderately) successful TV and movie
    franchise. Or it might look to traditional sagas and epics, such as
    the Elder Edda. Oh, wait, there's that guy in New Zealand...

    Audiences do want to be entertained. And action-adventure melodrama is
    one entertaining type of movie. So Hollywood will look widely both for
    existing properties, and for genres in which new characters and
    locales can be created, to make such films. There will be flops, and
    successes.

    John Savard

    John Savard, Dec 22, 2003
  17. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Jordan Lund Guest

    pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote in message news:<1g6d8r0.okth4m1tgp43sN%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk>...

    > I'm also fairly convinced that the movie WILL be terrible, as you say,
    > but just seeing those "Iron Giant"/Gort mutations stomping around on
    > cars is enough to bring out the grinning, freckly 10 year old in me.

    They're almost identical to the giant robots in the old Superman
    cartoon from the 40s. Cool!

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Dec 22, 2003