    tolerant of scratches?

    Sincerely
    CJ
    Monkey Man, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Monkey Man

    Whovian Guest

    "Monkey Man" <> wrote in
    news:cg9Eb.1176$:

    > Is there something I can look for when buying a new DVD player with
    > regards to skipping DVDs?
    > My current player will skip if there is the slightest scratch or
    > fingerprint on a DVD, but I put the same DVD in my computer without
    > cleaning it and it plays better.
    > Is there a feature to look for when buying a DVD player that makes it
    > more tolerant of scratches?
    >
    > Sincerely
    > CJ

    What kind of DVD player do you have and how old is it? I asked about this
    in rec.video.dvd.players and someone said Toshiba does the best job of
    error correction. Can't say for sure if that's true. I now have 3 DVD
    players. My 2½ year old Sony behaves the way you describe. My 1½ year old
    Pioneer does a little better, but not by much. I just bought a new JVC and
    I tested it with a disc I know to be bad and it played perfectly.
    Whovian, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Monkey Man

    Monkey Man Guest

    "Whovian" <> wrote in message
    > "Monkey Man" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Is there something I can look for when buying a new DVD player with
    > > regards to skipping DVDs?
    > > My current player will skip if there is the slightest scratch or
    > > fingerprint on a DVD, but I put the same DVD in my computer without
    > > cleaning it and it plays better.
    > > Is there a feature to look for when buying a DVD player that makes it
    > > more tolerant of scratches?
    > >
    > > Sincerely
    > > CJ
    > >

    > What kind of DVD player do you have and how old is it? I asked about this
    > in rec.video.dvd.players and someone said Toshiba does the best job of
    > error correction. Can't say for sure if that's true. I now have 3 DVD
    > players. My 2½ year old Sony behaves the way you describe. My 1½ year old
    > Pioneer does a little better, but not by much. I just bought a new JVC and
    > I tested it with a disc I know to be bad and it played perfectly.

    I have a Samsung that is about 3 years old. I just wondered if there was a
    feature to look for.
    And I do think JVC puts out some better stuff. I'm not all that crazy about
    Sony.
    Monkey Man, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Monkey Man

    Whovian Guest

    "Monkey Man" <> wrote in

    > I have a Samsung that is about 3 years old. I just wondered if there
    > was a feature to look for.
    > And I do think JVC puts out some better stuff. I'm not all that crazy
    > about Sony.

    Well, like I said, I asked the very same question and I didn't really get
    much of an answer except regarding brand preference. The age of your player
    could definitely be a factor. My players have gotten worse at dealing with
    scratches/smudges over time. So I'm kind of resigned to having to buy a new
    player every couple of years once they start going bad.

    Good luck.
    Whovian, Dec 18, 2003
  5. It's all in the wrist, plus it helps if the surface of the water is fairly
    still when you fling 'em.

    swac
    Stephen Cooke, Dec 18, 2003