    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in
    news:QgZWb.273$:

    > Do these things really work, or are they just a scam?

    Assuming you mean the crank device that polishes disks (sold under DVD
    Doctor, CD Doctor, Game Doctor, etc.), they work fine on shallow scratches.
    I use one on CDs periodically. They leave the disk surface looking rather
    cloudy, but it's apparently transparent at the 90 deg angle the laser
    requires.

    Geo
    --
    George Mealer
    geo*AT*snarksoft*DOT*com

    "Alright, it's Saturday night...I have no date, a two-liter bottle
    of Shasta, and my all-Rush mix tape. Let's rock!" -- Philip J. Fry
    George Mealer, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Grand Inquisitor

    Bill Davison Guest

    I have the Skip Doctor and have used it twice, each time on an DVD that stalled
    in a particular spot and would not play. It fixed the problem in each case.

    Bill Davison, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Grand Inquisitor

    unclejr Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote...
    > Do these things really work, or are they just a scam?

    I have found that SoftScrub cleanser (in either Lemon OR Orange
    flavor!) works just as well for much less cost..

    HTH,

    -Junior
    unclejr, Feb 13, 2004
  5. Grand Inquisitor

    Bratboy Guest

    Milage may vary, I bought one of the powerd versions of Doctor to fix a DVD
    and it actually in my case did more harm than good but some ppl really swear
    by it. My suggestion would be to buy from a place you know you can return it
    and test it on a cd or 2 to see if it works for you. I do know from what I
    had read before I bought one that the powered one is supposed to do a
    better/even job than the crank handle version.

    Bratboy, Feb 13, 2004
  6. "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    > Milage may vary, I bought one of the powerd versions of Doctor to fix a

    DVD
    > and it actually in my case did more harm than good

    My experience also.
    ominousspiritous, Feb 14, 2004
  7. Grand Inquisitor

    SRT Guest

    "ominousspiritous"
    <o123misssn456ous789spfdwweirit9887ofewfusYOURsaaafsewqfCLaffadfOTHES@at654t
    biYOURCLOTHEaaaaaaaaaSfds.c321om> wrote in message

    > "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    > > Milage may vary, I bought one of the powerd versions of Doctor to fix a

    > DVD
    > > and it actually in my case did more harm than good

    > My experience also.

    My experience (negative) also on a DVD. However, it did help on a CD to a
    degree - stopped or removed the skip but still left some distortion.

    srt
    SRT, Feb 14, 2004
  8. Grand Inquisitor

    Anubis

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Old thread, but, it showed up as the second listing using google

    This is a very old thread, but people still read it, for instance this thread shows up as high as the second listening depending what you type. To those of you who are reading this, however you found it I just wanted to weigh in. 1st, my fist skip doctor was a handcrank model, it's slow and very tedious. In addition, it doesn't work as well because the speed varies and if the teeth on the gears break, causing it to briefly stop the disc from rotating while the wheel is spinning. I remember last year, when I moved in the dorms, thinking how I could make extra money I got a skipdr. with a PS3 wheel, it worked so well, that's when it hit me that I could make money off this. I started buying games that were said to be "not working", on the internet. In the past year I've fixed about 230-240 I can count on one hand how many it couldn't repair, Most of these I've sold, just use the correct wheel. Some are labeled as PS3 or Blu ray or XBOX360, all SkipDr's are exactly the same except for the wheel, the wheels are interchangeable, so you buy one type and you can get new wheels that work on different types of discs for $7 off ebay,that also comes with more resurfacing fluid, and the Blu-Ray wheel works on Blu-Ray movies and PS3 games and vice versa regarding the PS3 wheel, their just different colors. Bottom Line- it works. It even works on XBOX360 games without a scratch that you can play and then it gives you an error, my copy of MW3 did this almost every time I played and each time I played, if it came up once, it would come up several times, now it hasn't in 3 months and most of that 3 months was during the summer break over summer. I still didn't get to play alot, but more than I can now class has returned. Highly reccommended, it will pay for itself many times over.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
    Anubis, Sep 10, 2012