SKINNY

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by David Spalding, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. What is "SKINNY"

    David Spalding, Jan 24, 2004

  2. David Spalding

    Neil Smith Guest

    Skinny, is what my wife is not ;-)

    Neil Smith, Jan 24, 2004

  3. I am serious. What is SKINNY?

    David Spalding, Jan 25, 2004
  4. David Spalding wrote:
    > What is "SKINNY"

    Try a search enginee next time like the www.google.com and and use the
    search words "skinny voip" and voila
    http://www.protocols.com/pbook/VoIP.htm.
    ---- <snip> ----

    Skinny

    Cisco protocol

    Skinny Client Control Protocol (SCCP). Telephony systems are moving to a
    common wiring plant. The end station of a LAN or IP- based PBX must be
    simple to use, familiar and relatively cheap. The H.323 recommendations are
    quite an expensive system. An H.323 proxy can be used to communicate with
    the Skinny Client using the SCCP. In such a case the telephone is a skinny
    client over IP, in the context of H.323. A proxy is used for the H.225 and
    H.245 signalling.

    The skinny client (i.e. an Ethernet Phone) uses TCP/IP to transmit and
    receive calls and RTP/UDP/IP to/from a Skinny Client or H.323 terminal for
    audio. Skinny messages are carried above TCP and use port 2000.

    The messages consist of Station message ID messages.

    ---- </snip> ----

    /Mats

    Mats Karlsson, Jan 25, 2004
  5. Thank you. I will take your advice and do a search.

    David Spalding, Jan 25, 2004
  6. You don't need to - he already did it for you and posted a link to the
    definition.

    James Calivar, Jan 25, 2004
  7. David Spalding

    Erik Guest

    "David Spalding" <> wrote in

    > What is "SKINNY"

    Skinny is what locks you into Cisco proprietry stuff and keeps you paying
    premium prices for crashing and unsecure VoIP technology ...

    Erik, Jan 27, 2004
  8. David Spalding

    Arcaidy Guest

    I'm curious to know what experience you have had with this "Cisco proprietry
    stuff and keeps you paying
    premium prices for crashing and unsecure VoIP technology ". I'm going to
    guess that it equals somewhere close to none. I'm sick of hearing how
    costly, unsecure and unstable Cisco's VOIP stuff is. I run a 1500 device
    install of Call Manager and haven't had an "unsecure" issue yet. The system
    has had 100 % up time out side of SLA. And the price is along the same lines
    or cheaper than any other COMPARABLE soloution. Anyone that has any
    experience at all knows that it is not that the IP PBX/Soft Switch that cost
    $$, it's the phones, Gateways and network gear.

    Arcaidy, Feb 2, 2004
  9. David Spalding

    Steve Blair Guest

    Arcaidy wrote:
    > I'm curious to know what experience you have had with this "Cisco proprietry
    > stuff and keeps you paying
    > premium prices for crashing and unsecure VoIP technology ". I'm going to
    > guess that it equals somewhere close to none. I'm sick of hearing how
    > costly, unsecure and unstable Cisco's VOIP stuff is. I run a 1500 device
    > install of Call Manager and haven't had an "unsecure" issue yet. The system
    > has had 100 % up time out side of SLA. And the price is along the same lines
    > or cheaper than any other COMPARABLE soloution. Anyone that has any
    > experience at all knows that it is not that the IP PBX/Soft Switch that cost
    > $$, it's the phones, Gateways and network gear.

    We no longer use Call Manager but while ours was in place
    it had a 100% uptime record as well. You mention phones being a
    significant piece of the cost. This is what drove us away from
    Call Manager. Our user base is large with a diverse set of
    telephone set requirements. In the end we couldn't get the mix
    of sets, features and price that we needed.

    $0.02 - Steve

    Steve Blair, Feb 5, 2004