    particular person wants from me........... the job Ive applied for
    dosent require hell of a lot of knowledge/skills.

    Frustrated trying to work this out now.......... :)

    XPD, Nov 29, 2007

  2. XPD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb XPD typed:
    > Recently I was asked to expand on my list of skills that is in my CV
    > regarding a job application........ now, I'm into everything to do
    > with computers really, from hardware to software, internet, networking
    > and all in between, so how the hell would I go about expanding my CV
    > list ?
    >
    > Theres so much stuff that Ive done/used that I could be here all year
    > writing them out....... how have others done their CV skillsets ? Did
    > you put down "Advanced Windows XP knowledge" or every little thing
    > that you know in XP ? ie: Edit registry, install programs, click the
    > mouse, check device drivers and so on...........
    >
    > Im happy with playing with all sorts of s/ware etc, but Im def no
    > expert at all I have done and just dont know what the hell this
    > particular person wants from me........... the job Ive applied for
    > dosent require hell of a lot of knowledge/skills.
    >
    > Frustrated trying to work this out now.......... :)

    Maybe a re-working of this post in the 'Skill Set" field?
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 29, 2007

  3. XPD

    JohnO Guest

    On Nov 29, 1:18 pm, XPD <> wrote:
    > Recently I was asked to expand on my list of skills that is in my CV
    > regarding a job application........ now, I'm into everything to do
    > with computers really, from hardware to software, internet, networking
    > and all in between, so how the hell would I go about expanding my CV
    > list ?
    >
    > Theres so much stuff that Ive done/used that I could be here all year
    > writing them out....... how have others done their CV skillsets ? Did
    > you put down "Advanced Windows XP knowledge" or every little thing
    > that you know in XP ? ie: Edit registry, install programs, click the
    > mouse, check device drivers and so on...........
    >
    > Im happy with playing with all sorts of s/ware etc, but Im def no
    > expert at all I have done and just dont know what the hell this
    > particular person wants from me........... the job Ive applied for
    > dosent require hell of a lot of knowledge/skills.
    >
    > Frustrated trying to work this out now.......... :)

    Just write down the stuff you think they understand and want. Too much
    detail and they will cease to have an attention span.

    JohnO, Nov 29, 2007
  4. XPD

    impossible Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    > Recently I was asked to expand on my list of skills that is in my CV
    > regarding a job application........ now, I'm into everything to do
    > with computers really, from hardware to software, internet, networking
    > and all in between, so how the hell would I go about expanding my CV
    > list ?
    >
    > Theres so much stuff that Ive done/used that I could be here all year
    > writing them out....... how have others done their CV skillsets ? Did
    > you put down "Advanced Windows XP knowledge" or every little thing
    > that you know in XP ? ie: Edit registry, install programs, click the
    > mouse, check device drivers and so on...........
    >
    > Im happy with playing with all sorts of s/ware etc, but Im def no
    > expert at all I have done and just dont know what the hell this
    > particular person wants from me........... the job Ive applied for
    > dosent require hell of a lot of knowledge/skills.
    >
    > Frustrated trying to work this out now.......... :)

    Employers want to know **how** you will apply your skills to add value to
    their business. So talk about specific projects you've undertaken that
    illustrate this. For example, instead of saying, "I know XP", describe how
    this knowledge contributed to improving the way Department Z performed --
    the time/money you saved them, etc.

    impossible, Nov 29, 2007
  5. XPD

    steve Guest

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:18:46 -0800, XPD wrote:

    > Recently I was asked to expand on my list of skills that is in my CV
    > regarding a job application........ now, I'm into everything to do with
    > computers really, from hardware to software, internet, networking and
    > all in between, so how the hell would I go about expanding my CV list ?
    >
    > Theres so much stuff that Ive done/used that I could be here all year
    > writing them out....... how have others done their CV skillsets ? Did
    > you put down "Advanced Windows XP knowledge" or every little thing that
    > you know in XP ? ie: Edit registry, install programs, click the mouse,
    > check device drivers and so on...........
    >
    > Im happy with playing with all sorts of s/ware etc, but Im def no expert
    > at all I have done and just dont know what the hell this particular
    > person wants from me........... the job Ive applied for dosent require
    > hell of a lot of knowledge/skills.
    >
    > Frustrated trying to work this out now.......... :)

    Were you asked by a pers^H^H^H^H hr person, or a pim^H^H^H employment
    consultant? If so, just add loads of random buzzwords - hopefully enough
    to intrigue/entertain the potential employer. It's so stupid that these
    people are allowed to add an extra hurdle to what's plenty stressful
    already, especially when you usually end up doing all the work anyway.

    Must fix this keyboard.

    steve, Nov 29, 2007
  6. XPD

    bok Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Recently I was asked to expand on my list of skills that is in my CV
    > regarding a job application........ now, I'm into everything to do
    > with computers really, from hardware to software, internet, networking
    > and all in between, so how the hell would I go about expanding my CV
    > list ?
    >
    > Theres so much stuff that Ive done/used that I could be here all year
    > writing them out....... how have others done their CV skillsets ? Did
    > you put down "Advanced Windows XP knowledge" or every little thing
    > that you know in XP ? ie: Edit registry, install programs, click the
    > mouse, check device drivers and so on...........
    >
    > Im happy with playing with all sorts of s/ware etc, but Im def no
    > expert at all I have done and just dont know what the hell this
    > particular person wants from me........... the job Ive applied for
    > dosent require hell of a lot of knowledge/skills.
    >
    > Frustrated trying to work this out now.......... :)

    Prospective employers will mainly be interested in work experience,
    skills and credentials that are relevant to the position you are
    applying for.

    A CV should generally fit on 2 printed a4 sheets (or less), anything
    longer than 3 pages is too long.

    Most CVs conform to a common structure, but I guess you know that and
    are looking for hints on how much detail to include.

    A CV normally begins with a personal profile. If you are applying for a
    technical IT role I'd aim to make this factual and free of opinion or
    hyperbole.

    The other major sections of a CV are reverse chronological lists of
    - work experience
    - education, training including qualifications achieved
    - optional list of hobbies and interests.

    The work experience list should cover your entire career (even if not
    directly related to the position you are applying for). Describe
    achievements or what you contributed to the business rather than your
    job description or duties.

    A CV normally includes a summary of the applicants key skills. I doubt
    there would be many prospective employers interested in minutiae at the
    level of 'edit registry, install programs .... Just provide a bulleted
    list of the significant products and technologies you have experience
    with. Here is an example I copied from a CV I found in a google search:

    Languages: Oracle (Forms/Reports 6i, PL/SQL, Reports, Developer 2000),
    MS C++,C , Visual Basic 6 , VBS , API , ASP

    DBMS: Oracle 7, Oracle 8i, Oracle9i

    Multimedia: HTML, Front Page , Corel Draw , Corel Photo Paint,
    Macromedia Fireworks, Director 8

    Op Sys: DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 9x, NT, ME, Windows 2000, WinXP, SuSE
    Linux

    Utils/Apps: FTP, MS Word , Access , Excel

    bok, Nov 29, 2007