    seem to get hundreds of irrelevent pages come up whatever way I try to
    phrase it.

    Richard Sherman
    Richard Sherman, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Richard Sherman

    licknlabia Guest

    For my company's exchange setup, we have the following for 115 users ( 150
    at one point )

    2 servers setup like this....

    2gb of RAM
    1- 36gb OS
    1- 36gb Exchange
    2- 74gb mirrored for Logs
    1 - external Array with 420gb capacity (array is dual bus) split into two
    210gb RAID 5 drives.
    Dual 2.4 Zeons w/ HT.

    2nd server connects to the other half the array.

    We keep half the company on one and half on the other so not everyone loses
    their email in the event of server failure and we have an Exchange Front End
    server for this setup for OWA.

    You need to consider whether the company will be using mailbox quotas to
    determine disk space, but definitely for performance I wouldn't get anything
    lower than 2ghz and 2gb of RAM for anything more than 75 users. We cap ours
    at 1.5gb because anything over that, Outlook starts exhibiting problems.

    What we have is overkill but where I work we are extremely paranoid and have
    redundancy for all critical systems, so for this it is better to overkill if
    possible as having an exchange failure is not fun to go thru when you don't
    have redundancy, trust me I know.

    ISA Setup -

    When loading the ISA mmc, it brings down a P3 1.1ghz and 1.5gb of RAM for
    about 15 - 20 sec and we only use it for DMZ, VPN (not more than 10 users at
    any given time) and for terminating SSL for a couple of internal web/SFTP
    sites, and of course performance thru a TS session is obviously worse even
    on a 100mb LAN.

    so go figure.....

    "Richard Sherman" <> wrote in message
    I'm just starting a job where one of the requirements is to provide
    technical assistance to the sales team. Namely advising on server
    requirements for small to medium size customers running 2000 with
    exchange and ISA. My experience has been in 2nd line support on
    existing servers/networks.
    My question is where can I find help with deciding on server
    requirements?
    I've tried using google but I'm obviously not very good with it cos I

    licknlabia, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Richard Sherman

    billyw Guest

    if it is sme's with under 50 users i'd go for sbs2k as the solution, bearing
    in mind the limitations of it.
    As for the actual server, the only limitations that i usually find myself
    working to is budget.
    Hence it's as much as i can get for the available budget. i appreciate that
    this sounds a bit simplistic but in my experience it has usually come down
    to this.
    Budget apart, i'd look at the type of industry.. for instance if they are in
    the print industry they will require a lot of hard drive capacity because of
    file size.

    billyw, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Richard Sherman

    licknlabia Guest

    very true about the budget.

    ahh, tell the morons to share out files in a central location so they don't
    email them if they don't have to.

    we recently had ID10T try and send a 100mb file thru email to our remote
    location NY that has a 1mb/1mb DSL line and then CC'd someone that sits
    across from him. Had to give him the big brother talk and this is of course
    after we put a 10mb limit on incoming attachment sizes.....

    enough ranting...

    licknlabia, Jul 31, 2003
  5. Richard Sherman

    Gary - US Guest

    Wow.....how did you get a job you were not qualified for?

    --

    Semper Fi & God Bless America,

    Gary-US MCNGP #20 & retired Jarhead

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    ** Kindly Do The Needful **

    Gary - US, Jul 31, 2003
  6. Richard Sherman

    billyw Guest

    same way you did..

    billyw, Jul 31, 2003
  7. On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:57:14 -0500, "Gary - US"
    <> wrote:

    >Wow.....how did you get a job you were not qualified for?

    By being the best that applied for the job :)

    I have MCSE NT4 and will shortly finish my MCSE 2000. My only lack of
    qualification for the job is a lack of experience with choosing server
    requirements. The majority of the job is doing installs, upgrades and
    fixes for the customers. Which is what I've been doing for the last 7
    years (Unix, NT4 and 2000), but unfortunately the systems were spec'd
    by our HQ, so I don't have that experience.

    I will have support from my predecessor in the post who has been
    promoted within the company. I just wanted to try and get ahead before
    I start next week.
    Richard Sherman, Jul 31, 2003
  8. Richard Sherman

    KLXrider Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:00:27 +0100, Richard Sherman
    <> wrote:

    >I'm just starting a job where one of the requirements is to provide
    >technical assistance to the sales team. Namely advising on server
    >requirements for small to medium size customers running 2000 with
    >exchange and ISA. My experience has been in 2nd line support on
    >existing servers/networks.
    >My question is where can I find help with deciding on server
    >requirements?
    >I've tried using google but I'm obviously not very good with it cos I
    >seem to get hundreds of irrelevent pages come up whatever way I try to
    >phrase it.
    >
    >Richard Sherman

    RTFM

    every product lists its requirements.

    IDIOT!!!!
    KLXrider, Jul 31, 2003
  9. Richard Sherman

    KLXrider Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:53:53 -0400, Frisbee® MCNGP
    <> wrote:

    >Don't you know that SIZE DOESN'T MATTER?

    Is that what your wife tells you......
    KLXrider, Jul 31, 2003
  10. "KLXrider" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:53:53 -0400, Frisbee® MCNGP
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Don't you know that SIZE DOESN'T MATTER?

    > Is that what your wife tells you......

    I thought -I- had poor peripheral vision.

    --
    Fris "YOUR AD HERE" bee® MCNGP #13

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Jul 31, 2003
  11. Richard Sherman

    Andy Foster Guest

    "Myrt Webb" <> wrote in message
    > Rich:
    >
    > As you finding out this mailing list has more BS than
    > anything else. Sometimes it is hard to separate the fly
    > shit from the pepper.

    Mailing list ?
    Why am I always the last to know ?

    Andy
    Andy Foster, Jul 31, 2003
  12. Richard Sherman

    Consultant Guest

    no, you'd use that as a minimum. then you would determine your number of
    users and adjust your hardware accordingly.

    Consultant, Jul 31, 2003
  13. Richard Sherman, Jul 31, 2003
  14. I need to spend a lot more time reading around the Microsoft site :)
    Richard Sherman, Jul 31, 2003
  15. Richard Sherman

    KLXrider Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:05:23 +0100, Richard Sherman
    <> wrote:

    >And you'd run Windows 2000 on what Microsoft says it needs? and call
    >me an idiot.

    No, but if I were clueless as to what my minimum requirements were I
    would read the documentation. It is there for a reason.
    KLXrider, Jul 31, 2003
  16. Richard Sherman

    billyw Guest

    i'd disagree to an extent.

    minimun reqs are a sales gimick.
    think of it this way.
    to drive an F1 car the basic req's are 2 arms 2 legs and the power of sight.
    to drive like schu, it takes a good bit more

    so wrong

    billyw, Jul 31, 2003
  17. Richard Sherman

    Cheeseburger Guest

    Why bother, you'll still be an Idiot!

    Cheeseburger, Jul 31, 2003
  18. Excellent data!
    Would it be better to put the full company email (replicate) on each of the
    2 servers and then just assign half of the company to one amd the other half
    of the company to the other server for load balancing and full email/data
    available if one server goes down?

    Diana K Brown, Jul 31, 2003
  19. No, you laugh at the requirements MS lists and at a minimum triple it!

    Diana K Brown, Jul 31, 2003
  20. Richard Sherman

    Consultant Guest

    that's a given