Sizing an image for reproduction onto 6x4 or 7x5 ...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob Keel, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. Rob Keel

    Rob Keel Guest

    Hi,

    Looking for some advice please.

    I'm fairly new to digital photography and I own a Pentax Optio 555. The
    maximum resolution is 2592 x 1944.

    Fairly soon, I am going to get some images reproduced using an online
    printing service but what I would like to know is how the image will
    look when printed on a 6x4 or 7x5. How does it all work?

    Do I need to resize the images myself to a certain size prior to
    uploading the images to the online printing service? If so, is there
    any free software that will help me get it right?

    Many thanks,

    --
    Rob.

    Rob Keel, Jun 29, 2005

  2. Rob Keel

    Annika1980 Guest

    Fairly soon, I am going to get some images reproduced using an online
    printing service but what I would like to know is how the image will
    look when printed on a 6x4 or 7x5. How does it all work?

    Do I need to resize the images myself to a certain size prior to
    uploading the images to the online printing service? If so, is there
    any free software that will help me get it right?

    Without re-sizing the pic your prints will be cropped since the ratios
    are different from what your camera gives you. When I'm getting prints
    made I always crop to the correct ratio so the idiots at the photo
    place don't crop in the wrong place.
    I also usually re-size to 300 dpi so for a 6x4 pic that's 1800x1200, or
    2100x1500 for a 7x5.

    Annika1980, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Rob Keel

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Rob Keel wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Looking for some advice please.
    >
    > I'm fairly new to digital photography and I own a Pentax Optio 555. The
    > maximum resolution is 2592 x 1944.
    >
    > Fairly soon, I am going to get some images reproduced using an online
    > printing service but what I would like to know is how the image will
    > look when printed on a 6x4 or 7x5. How does it all work?
    >
    > Do I need to resize the images myself to a certain size prior to
    > uploading the images to the online printing service? If so, is there
    > any free software that will help me get it right?

    You don't need to resize, you need to crop the top or sides
    of the image to get it to fit into the dimensions you desire.

    Your Pentax surely came with a CD containing some form of
    editing software. You should be able to do it with that.

    Jim Townsend, Jun 29, 2005
  4. Rob Keel

    Rob Keel Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:

    > Fairly soon, I am going to get some images reproduced using an online
    > printing service but what I would like to know is how the image will
    > look when printed on a 6x4 or 7x5. How does it all work?
    >
    > Do I need to resize the images myself to a certain size prior to
    > uploading the images to the online printing service? If so, is there
    > any free software that will help me get it right?
    >
    > Without re-sizing the pic your prints will be cropped since the ratios
    > are different from what your camera gives you. When I'm getting
    > prints made I always crop to the correct ratio so the idiots at the
    > photo place don't crop in the wrong place.
    > I also usually re-size to 300 dpi so for a 6x4 pic that's 1800x1200,
    > or 2100x1500 for a 7x5.

    Thanks for the info Annika.

    --
    Rob.

    Rob Keel, Jun 29, 2005
  5. Rob Keel

    Rob Keel Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:

    > Rob Keel wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Looking for some advice please.
    > >
    > > I'm fairly new to digital photography and I own a Pentax Optio 555.
    > > The maximum resolution is 2592 x 1944.
    > >
    > > Fairly soon, I am going to get some images reproduced using an
    > > online printing service but what I would like to know is how the
    > > image will look when printed on a 6x4 or 7x5. How does it all work?
    > >
    > > Do I need to resize the images myself to a certain size prior to
    > > uploading the images to the online printing service? If so, is there
    > > any free software that will help me get it right?

    > You don't need to resize, you need to crop the top or sides
    > of the image to get it to fit into the dimensions you desire.
    >
    > Your Pentax surely came with a CD containing some form of
    > editing software. You should be able to do it with that.

    Yes, it came with ACDSee 5.0. Will have a look around.

    Thanks for the info/advice Jim.

    --
    Rob.

    Rob Keel, Jun 29, 2005
  6. Rob Keel

    Markeau Guest

    "Rob Keel" <robkeel@[removethis]gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Looking for some advice please.
    >
    > I'm fairly new to digital photography and I own a Pentax Optio 555.
    > The
    > maximum resolution is 2592 x 1944.
    >
    > Fairly soon, I am going to get some images reproduced using an
    > online
    > printing service but what I would like to know is how the image will
    > look when printed on a 6x4 or 7x5. How does it all work?
    >
    > Do I need to resize the images myself to a certain size prior to
    > uploading the images to the online printing service? If so, is there
    > any free software that will help me get it right?

    If your cam takes 3:4 ratio pics and you don't want to mess with
    cropping, order 5x7 prints - if "zoomed" there will be very little
    cropped off the long edge, or if non-zoomed there will be a small bit
    of white on each short edge.

    Similarly, if you crop to 5x7 size you will typically get better
    results than cropping to 4x6 size.

    Markeau, Jun 30, 2005