    there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
    posts each and every day?

    Norm Strong

    normanstrong, Dec 17, 2003

  2. normanstrong

    Peter James Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:43:53 GMT, "normanstrong"
    <> wrote:

    >I just started subscribing to this group; it's way too big. Isn't
    >there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
    >posts each and every day?
    >
    >Norm Strong

    Just down-load the message headers first. And then the bodies of
    those messages that you think might be of interest to you.
    You could also use the filters on your Newsreader to filter out those
    subjects that are of no interest to you.
    If your Newsreader, and I see you are using Outlook Express, will not
    allow you to filter this way, consider getting a better newsreader.

    --

    Peter James
    Change AT to @ to reply

    Peter James, Dec 17, 2003

  3. "normanstrong" <> writes:

    > I just started subscribing to this group; it's way too big. Isn't
    > there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
    > posts each and every day?

    Sure. Go right ahead.

    Phil Stripling, Dec 17, 2003
  4. normanstrong

    RustY © Guest

    "normanstrong" <> wrote in message
    > I just started subscribing to this group; it's way too big. Isn't
    > there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
    > posts each and every day?

    Just look at the headers and read the ones that you are interested in.
    That's what we all do.
    --
    For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

    RustY ©, Dec 17, 2003
  5. normanstrong wrote:

    > I just started subscribing to this group; it's way too big. Isn't
    > there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
    > posts each and every day?
    >
    > Norm Strong

    As with any newsgroup, sort by thread (show only threads with unread
    posts). Ignore threads that don't interest you, read those that do.

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Dec 17, 2003
  6. If you are using Outlook express I suggest you start with the top line
    menu; choose "View" then "Current View" then click on "Group messages by
    Conversation" That will show only one line for each thread or subject
    group. Clicking on the "+" sign will display all the responses in the
    thread. You can also tell Outlook to show the un-read messages in a
    different font/color than read messages. That should help a lot.

    Play with the other settings, you may find some you will like.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 17, 2003
  7. normanstrong

    Alan Browne Guest

    Find a way to get Mighty George P. off the group.

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Dec 17, 2003
  8. normanstrong

    Jim Townsend Guest

    normanstrong wrote:

    > I just started subscribing to this group; it's way too big. Isn't
    > there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
    > posts each and every day?
    >
    > Norm Strong

    You can't divide newsgroups. You'd have to form *new* ones of a similar nature
    under the same hierarchy. (ie. rec.photo.digital.slr)

    There's a formal procedure for creating new groups. Anyone can do it. If you
    care to give it a try, here is how it's done:

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1/

    Jim Townsend, Dec 18, 2003
  9. normanstrong

    Mark B. Guest

    "Peter James" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:43:53 GMT, "normanstrong"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I just started subscribing to this group; it's way too big. Isn't
    > >there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
    > >posts each and every day?
    > >
    > >Norm Strong

    > Just down-load the message headers first. And then the bodies of
    > those messages that you think might be of interest to you.
    > You could also use the filters on your Newsreader to filter out those
    > subjects that are of no interest to you.
    > If your Newsreader, and I see you are using Outlook Express, will not
    > allow you to filter this way, consider getting a better newsreader.

    OE does work that way.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 18, 2003
  10. normanstrong

    Ron Hunter Guest

    normanstrong wrote:

    > I just started subscribing to this group; it's way too big. Isn't
    > there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
    > posts each and every day?
    >
    > Norm Strong

    Humm. Bet you complain when you get two scoops for the price of one.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 18, 2003
  11. normanstrong

    Double D Guest

    In article <>, ess says...
    > normanstrong wrote:
    >
    > > I just started subscribing to this group; it's way too big. Isn't
    > > there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
    > > posts each and every day?
    > >
    > > Norm Strong

    > You can't divide newsgroups. You'd have to form *new* ones of a similar nature
    > under the same hierarchy. (ie. rec.photo.digital.slr)
    >
    > There's a formal procedure for creating new groups. Anyone can do it. If you
    > care to give it a try, here is how it's done:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1/

    Digital photography is at a peak right now. I'm talking HOT. I am not
    saying that things will reverse and start to swing toward film again, but
    things will probably eventually level off a little.

    If you are interested in creating other groups based on digital
    photography, start a poll thread in here first. That will help give you a
    little more credibility when you propose new groups. New groups need to
    be justified.

    DD

    Double D, Dec 18, 2003
  12. normanstrong

    Double D Guest

    In article <xM5Eb.128016$>,
    says...

    > Find a way to get Mighty George P. off the group.

    LOL. Easier said than done.

    DD

    Double D, Dec 18, 2003
  13. normanstrong

    Mark Herring Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I just started subscribing to this group; it's way too big. Isn't
    >there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
    >posts each and every day?
    >
    >Norm Strong

    Filter out anything with the words "Sigma" or "Foveon", and it will be
    easier......;)

    Merry Christmas
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Dec 18, 2003
  14. normanstrong

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <xM5Eb.128016$>,
    says...
    > Find a way to get Mighty George P. off the group.

    He's still here? I haven't seen him in a few weeks. My killfile must be
    working overtime :)

    --
    __________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Dec 18, 2003
  15. normanstrong

    Trevor S Guest

    "normanstrong" <> wrote in news:de3Eb.416037
    $ao4.1350911@attbi_s51:

    > I just started subscribing to this group; it's way too big. Isn't
    > there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
    > posts each and every day?

    Like everything in the Intenet, speed reading is essential. Takes me about
    10 mins twice a day for this group, I don't consider it anywhere near busy
    enough to warrant splitting.

    Perhaps learn to use OE a litte better, or better yet get a decent
    newsreader ;)

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, Dec 18, 2003
  16. normanstrong

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "normanstrong" <> stated
    that:

    >I just started subscribing to this group; it's way too big. Isn't
    >there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
    >posts each and every day?

    It helps a lot it if you ignore-thread the really big threads, which are
    nearly always flame wars, or pointless arguments with loons like George
    "3=11!" Preddy. (I say this despite the fact that I waste too much time
    participating in such threads myself.)

    Having done that, sort the threads by subject, then just scan the
    subject lines for things of interest to you.
    I find that doing this makes it quite easy to keep up with the group (&
    the other newsgroups that I read on most days.)

    Lionel, Dec 18, 2003
  17. normanstrong

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that Double D <> stated that:

    >In article <>, ess says...
    >> normanstrong wrote:
    >> There's a formal procedure for creating new groups. Anyone can do it. If you
    >> care to give it a try, here is how it's done:

    >Digital photography is at a peak right now. I'm talking HOT. I am not
    >saying that things will reverse and start to swing toward film again, but
    >things will probably eventually level off a little.

    <nods> Yes, very likely.

    >If you are interested in creating other groups based on digital
    >photography, start a poll thread in here first. That will help give you a
    >little more credibility when you propose new groups. New groups need to
    >be justified.

    Yep. The process is also long, tedious, & intensely political. I've been
    involved in a few new group proposals, & they're a pain in the arse.
    Most people give up long before it comes time to put the proposal to a
    vote.

    Lionel, Dec 18, 2003
  18. normanstrong

    Steve Young Guest

    > >> normanstrong wrote:
    > >> There's a formal procedure for creating new groups. Anyone can .
    > >> do itIf you care to give it a try, here is how it's done:

    > > Double D <> stated that:
    > >Digital photography is at a peak right now. I'm talking HOT. I am not
    > >saying that things will reverse and start to swing toward film again, but
    > >things will probably eventually level off a little.

    > "Lionel" <> wrote
    > <nods> Yes, very likely.

    It'll prolly peak around March / April, as this years new Christmas crop finds
    their way to Usenet and to this newsgroup, with all their newbie questions. It
    happens every year. Right now we're just seeing the "which camera should I buy
    for Christmas?" folks. The next ones will be "how do I get a picture to my hard
    drive from this new fangled device?"

    > >If you are interested in creating other groups based on digital
    > >photography, start a poll thread in here first. That will help give you a
    > >little more credibility when you propose new groups. New groups need to
    > >be justified.

    > Yep. The process is also long, tedious, & intensely political. I've been
    > involved in a few new group proposals, & they're a pain in the arse.
    > Most people give up long before it comes time to put the proposal to a
    > vote.

    Yep!, and one would need to rally a few thick skinned leaders to spar with
    admin, good luck finding them ;)

    Steve Young

    Steve Young, Dec 18, 2003
  19. normanstrong

    Guest

    normanstrong <> wrote:
    > I just started subscribing to this group; it's way too big. Isn't
    > there some way to divide it up so I don't have to wade through 500
    > posts each and every day?

    Get a better newsreader.

    , Dec 18, 2003
  20. normanstrong

    Guest

    Mark B. <> wrote:

    > OE does work that way.

    So who says you have to use OE for reading newsgroups. OE is a terrible software
    package, esp. for reading newsgroups. A better choice is Free Agent.

    , Dec 18, 2003