Size of similar messages in Outlook Express is ballooning

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ima Goodlay, Sep 28, 2003.

  1. Ima Goodlay

    Ima Goodlay Guest

    Over a period of 6 months I composed and sent hundreds of messages,
    all with similar content and all with a file size between 40 and 60K
    including a 30K attachment.

    A month ago the file size doubled to 100K although the message and
    attachment remained the same. Two weeks ago the file size rose to 200K
    and today my simple messages and attachment are 730K.

    The content of the messages has been the same for 7 months and the
    Word Doc attachment has remained virtually unchanged.

    I have ran scan disk, defrag, and 3 virus checkers. I received perhaps
    20 MS patch viruses over the last month; none were opened, all were
    trashed on receipt. I updated the real security patches from Microsoft
    on a timely basis. I use AVG and scan for viruses daily; updates are
    checked for daily.

    I've visited http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/ and surfed the Internet
    including Google for a fix and I continue to surf.

    I have Win XP Pro and Outlook Express 6.

    I am posting this message in 2 news groups -
    24hoursupport.helpdesk
    microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

    Thanks for any help you can give me.

    Ima

    -----
    Ima Goodlay, Sep 28, 2003

  2. Ima Goodlay

    Jammer Guest

    :(

    Jammer, Sep 28, 2003

  3. Ima Goodlay

    Liz Guest

    Open Word, on the Tools menu> click Options> Save tab>
    Uncheck the box "Allow fast saves"> OK.
    Save the document and the file should now shrink in size.

    When you enabled "Allow fast saves", Word will now save the
    document from the original file size. Word saved your changes
    to the end of your existing document, this resulted the size increase.

    "Ima Goodlay" wrote

    Liz, Sep 28, 2003
  4. Ima Goodlay

    Ima Goodlay Guest

    I looked and the "Allow fast saves" box was not checked. The problem
    is with the message. It is 700K. When the Doc is attached the total
    size is 730K.

    Ima

    -----

    Ima Goodlay, Sep 28, 2003
  5. Ima Goodlay

    Liz Guest

    "Liz" <> wrote
    > Open Word, on the Tools menu> click Options> Save tab>
    > Uncheck the box "Allow fast saves"> OK.
    > Save the document and the file should now shrink in size.
    >
    > When you enabled "Allow fast saves", Word will now save the

    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Correction: I mean Will Not

    Liz, Sep 28, 2003
  6. Ima Goodlay

    Liz Guest

    Did you compose your message using Word?
    Try cut & paste the message to a new document
    excluding the "Carriage Return". See if this helps.

    "Ima Goodlay" wrote

    Liz, Sep 28, 2003
  7. Ima Goodlay

    Ima Goodlay Guest

    Yes, I think that is a solution. Still testing it and will get back to
    you later. Thank you.

    Ima

    -----

    Ima Goodlay, Sep 29, 2003
  8. Ima Goodlay

    Mike Calkins Guest

    It still could be a virus.... Microsoft Office products have longed been
    plagued by 'macro' viruses. Check on www.microsoft.com and search on macro
    virus.

    Mike

    Mike Calkins, Sep 29, 2003
  9. Ima Goodlay

    Liz Guest

    My pleasure, Ima. I hope it got sorted out already. :)

    By the way, if you are concerned about virii, here is
    an article on avoiding macro viruses.
    http://www.sans.org/resources/macro.htm

    Liz, Sep 29, 2003
  10. Ima Goodlay

    Ima Goodlay Guest

    I quit pasting from Word and the file size is back to normal.

    Thanks!

    Ima

    -----.

    Ima Goodlay, Oct 7, 2003