Six Quick Mozilla/Firefox Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., May 15, 2005.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4, and am absolutely
    thrilled! Thanks everyone for recommending this to me! It took me a while,
    but I finally took the plunge and will never go back to IE6, except to see
    how my webpages look there. I also downloaded NN 7.2 and Opera 8 (free
    version), btw. (The catalyst to get me to change was this CNN article about
    IE's share slipping, btw:

    http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/05/13/internet.explorer.ap/index.html)

    Questions:

    1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs, such as Ad-Aware, SpyBot
    S&D,etc.? I still use IE6 and Netscape occasionally, as well as OE6 for
    email and newsgroups.

    2) I have set my maximum cache to 2000 KB (= 2MB). Is this too small?

    3) Is there any way to force Firefox to refresh everytime I visit a page,
    like I did with IE6?

    4) The built-in google toolbar is too small, horizontally. With IE6, I had
    it stretch across half the browser page. Is there anyway to lengthen the
    toolbar box?

    5) The back button is also too small when compared to IE6's. This is causing
    me to misclick on a regular basis. Is there a way to enlarge this?

    6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla", at
    least according to this:

    How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.

    Thanks! I'll check back tomorrow!

    Julie

    Julie P., May 15, 2005

  2. Julie P. wrote:
    > I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4, and am absolutely
    > thrilled! Thanks everyone for recommending this to me! It took me a while,
    > but I finally took the plunge and will never go back to IE6, except to see
    > how my webpages look there. I also downloaded NN 7.2 and Opera 8 (free
    > version), btw. (The catalyst to get me to change was this CNN article about
    > IE's share slipping, btw:
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/05/13/internet.explorer.ap/index.html)
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs, such as Ad-Aware, SpyBot
    > S&D,etc.? I still use IE6 and Netscape occasionally, as well as OE6 for
    > email and newsgroups.

    No.

    > 2) I have set my maximum cache to 2000 KB (= 2MB). Is this too small?

    Well, I usually set it to about 50 megs.

    > 3) Is there any way to force Firefox to refresh everytime I visit a page,
    > like I did with IE6?

    Well, you can hold down the shift key ... but

    > 4) The built-in google toolbar is too small, horizontally. With IE6, I had
    > it stretch across half the browser page. Is there anyway to lengthen the
    > toolbar box?

    eeahhuurhhhh....

    > 5) The back button is also too small when compared to IE6's. This is causing
    > me to misclick on a regular basis. Is there a way to enlarge this?

    A little Mazola for your Mozilla

    > 6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla", at
    > least according to this:
    >
    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >
    > How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.
    >
    > Thanks! I'll check back tomorrow!

    Yeah, me too.

    Whew! Anyone ever tell you that your're high maintenance?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 15, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >> I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4, and am absolutely
    >> thrilled! Thanks everyone for recommending this to me! It took me a
    >> while, but I finally took the plunge and will never go back to IE6,
    >> except to see how my webpages look there. I also downloaded NN 7.2 and
    >> Opera 8 (free version), btw. (The catalyst to get me to change was this
    >> CNN article about IE's share slipping, btw:
    >>
    >> http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/05/13/internet.explorer.ap/index.html)
    >>
    >> Questions:
    >>
    >> 1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs, such as Ad-Aware, SpyBot
    >> S&D,etc.? I still use IE6 and Netscape occasionally, as well as OE6 for
    >> email and newsgroups.

    > No.
    >
    >> 2) I have set my maximum cache to 2000 KB (= 2MB). Is this too small?

    > Well, I usually set it to about 50 megs.

    Ok, I guess I can go a little higher. I used to have an account on a
    Unix/Sun server, and had only about 20 MB of space, so the manager
    recommended setting your maximum cache on Netscape 4.77 to 2 MB back then.

    >> 3) Is there any way to force Firefox to refresh everytime I visit a page,
    >> like I did with IE6?

    > Well, you can hold down the shift key ... but
    >
    >> 4) The built-in google toolbar is too small, horizontally. With IE6, I
    >> had it stretch across half the browser page. Is there anyway to lengthen
    >> the toolbar box?

    > eeahhuurhhhh....
    >
    >> 5) The back button is also too small when compared to IE6's. This is
    >> causing me to misclick on a regular basis. Is there a way to enlarge
    >> this?

    > A little Mazola for your Mozilla
    >
    >> 6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla",
    >> at least according to this:
    >>
    >> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >>
    >> How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.
    >>
    >> Thanks! I'll check back tomorrow!

    > Yeah, me too.
    >

    > Whew! Anyone ever tell you that your're high maintenance?

    Yeah, I like to call it being a perfectionist, though some call it being too
    obsessive. :)
    I guess you're a night owl too--either that, or live in Hawaii or Europe!

    Julie P., May 15, 2005
  4. Julie P. wrote:
    > Yeah, I like to call it being a perfectionist, though some call it being too
    > obsessive. :)
    > I guess you're a night owl too--either that, or live in Hawaii or Europe!

    I'm on the west coast of Virginia.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 15, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    Brian Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    >> I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4

    [snip]
    >> 1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs

    [snip]
    > No.

    No, BUT, you'll most likely find NO spyware anyway as a result of
    switching to Firefox. I just did yet another spyware scan and came
    up totally clean again after another three months surfing with FF!

    Brian, May 15, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    Scraggy Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >> Yeah, I like to call it being a perfectionist, though some call it
    >> being too obsessive. :)
    >> I guess you're a night owl too--either that, or live in Hawaii or
    >> Europe!

    > I'm on the west coast of Virginia.

    I'm only a Brit but ??!! Err.. East? or are you on the peninsula?
    --
    Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into a even
    smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose

    Scraggy, May 15, 2005
  7. Julie P.

    Old Gringo Guest

    Julie P. wrote:
    > I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4, and am absolutely
    > thrilled! Thanks everyone for recommending this to me! It took me a while,
    > but I finally took the plunge and will never go back to IE6, except to see
    > how my webpages look there. I also downloaded NN 7.2 and Opera 8 (free
    > version), btw. (The catalyst to get me to change was this CNN article about
    > IE's share slipping, btw:
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/05/13/internet.explorer.ap/index.html)
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs, such as Ad-Aware, SpyBot
    > S&D,etc.? I still use IE6 and Netscape occasionally, as well as OE6 for
    > email and newsgroups.
    >
    > 2) I have set my maximum cache to 2000 KB (= 2MB). Is this too small?
    >
    > 3) Is there any way to force Firefox to refresh everytime I visit a page,
    > like I did with IE6?
    >
    > 4) The built-in google toolbar is too small, horizontally. With IE6, I had
    > it stretch across half the browser page. Is there anyway to lengthen the
    > toolbar box?
    >
    > 5) The back button is also too small when compared to IE6's. This is causing
    > me to misclick on a regular basis. Is there a way to enlarge this?
    >
    > 6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla", at
    > least according to this:
    >
    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >
    > How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.
    >
    > Thanks! I'll check back tomorrow!
    >
    > Julie

    Good Morning Julie P. I would like to suggest Thunderbird:
    To go along with FireFox. Great companion. Nice email and news reader.
    Good Luck

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, May 15, 2005
  8. Julie P.

    Joel Rubin Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 04:27:57 -0400, "Julie P."
    <> wrote:

    >6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla", at
    >least according to this:
    >
    >http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >
    >How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.

    Mozilla is from the same people who make Firefox. The main difference
    between NN and Mozilla is that Mozilla is open source - anyone can
    download the source code and a few geniuses can actually suggest
    modifications or fixes. They already share a lot of source code.

    If you already have both NN and Firefox you probably don't need
    Mozilla, unless you are collecting software.

    http://www.mozilla.org

    Joel Rubin, May 15, 2005
  9. Julie P.

    Parko Guest

    Julie P. wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:

    > I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4, and am absolutely
    > thrilled! Thanks everyone for recommending this to me! It took me a while,
    > but I finally took the plunge and will never go back to IE6, except to see
    > how my webpages look there. I also downloaded NN 7.2 and Opera 8 (free
    > version), btw. (The catalyst to get me to change was this CNN article
    > about IE's share slipping, btw:

    http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/05/13/internet.explorer.ap/index.html)

    > Questions:
    >
    > 1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs, such as Ad-Aware, SpyBot
    > S&D,etc.? I still use IE6 and Netscape occasionally, as well as OE6 for
    > email and newsgroups.
    >
    > 2) I have set my maximum cache to 2000 KB (= 2MB). Is this too small?
    >
    > 3) Is there any way to force Firefox to refresh everytime I visit a page,
    > like I did with IE6?
    >
    > 4) The built-in google toolbar is too small, horizontally. With IE6, I had
    > it stretch across half the browser page. Is there anyway to lengthen the
    > toolbar box?
    >
    > 5) The back button is also too small when compared to IE6's. This is
    > causing me to misclick on a regular basis. Is there a way to enlarge this?
    >
    > 6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla", at
    > least according to this:
    >
    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >
    > How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.
    >
    > Thanks! I'll check back tomorrow!
    >
    > Julie

    A couple of points. Spyware can still get onto your system through installed
    programs. Type 'about:config' in the Firefox address bar to open up and
    manually edit the configuration files for Firefox. Promptly visit Firefox
    Extensions and install a few of the neato plugins. Adblock, TinyURLcreator
    are two good ones to begin with. Themes will install new icon sets and is
    worth a look. The default browser cache for Firefox is 50000kb, not 2000kb.
    The Mozilla browser/Email/Newsreader/HTML editor is now discontinued, and
    has been replaced by Firefox and Thunderbird. Netscape Navigator is so sad
    it doesn't deserve further comment.

    Finally, go here: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/
    Look at 'Tips and Tricks' to change the size of the Google Search bar
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, May 15, 2005
  10. Scraggy wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> Julie P. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yeah, I like to call it being a perfectionist, though some call it
    >>> being too obsessive. :)
    >>> I guess you're a night owl too--either that, or live in Hawaii or
    >>> Europe!

    >> I'm on the west coast of Virginia.

    > I'm only a Brit but ??!! Err.. East? or are you on the peninsula?

    What, don't you think I know where I am? I'm near the mighty Powell
    River. On a clear day you can see Kentucky and Tennessee from here.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 15, 2005
  11. Julie P.

    Scraggy Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Scraggy wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:

    >>> I'm on the west coast of Virginia.

    >> I'm only a Brit but ??!! Err.. East? or are you on the peninsula?

    > What, don't you think I know where I am? I'm near the mighty Powell
    > River. On a clear day you can see Kentucky and Tennessee from here.

    Impressive.
    http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/pao/issues/powellriver/powellriver.htm

    Play "Duelling Banjos" a lot?

    Scraggy, May 15, 2005
  12. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >>> I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4

    > [snip]
    >>> 1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs

    > [snip]
    >> No.

    > No, BUT, you'll most likely find NO spyware anyway as a result of
    > switching to Firefox. I just did yet another spyware scan and came
    > up totally clean again after another three months surfing with FF!

    Ok, thanks Brian! The best thing now is Ad-Aware no longer finds those
    tracking cookies, now that I use Firefox. Although it still finds negligible
    objects.

    Julie P., May 15, 2005
  13. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >> I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4, and am absolutely
    >> thrilled! Thanks everyone for recommending this to me! It took me a
    >> while, but I finally took the plunge and will never go back to IE6,
    >> except to see how my webpages look there. I also downloaded NN 7.2 and
    >> Opera 8 (free version), btw. (The catalyst to get me to change was this
    >> CNN article about IE's share slipping, btw:
    >>
    >> http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/05/13/internet.explorer.ap/index.html)
    >>
    >> Questions:
    >>
    >> 1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs, such as Ad-Aware, SpyBot
    >> S&D,etc.? I still use IE6 and Netscape occasionally, as well as OE6 for
    >> email and newsgroups.
    >>
    >> 2) I have set my maximum cache to 2000 KB (= 2MB). Is this too small?
    >>
    >> 3) Is there any way to force Firefox to refresh everytime I visit a page,
    >> like I did with IE6?
    >>
    >> 4) The built-in google toolbar is too small, horizontally. With IE6, I
    >> had it stretch across half the browser page. Is there anyway to lengthen
    >> the toolbar box?
    >>
    >> 5) The back button is also too small when compared to IE6's. This is
    >> causing me to misclick on a regular basis. Is there a way to enlarge
    >> this?
    >>
    >> 6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla",
    >> at least according to this:
    >>
    >> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >>
    >> How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.
    >>
    >> Thanks! I'll check back tomorrow!
    >>
    >> Julie
    >>

    > Good Morning Julie P. I would like to suggest Thunderbird:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
    > To go along with FireFox. Great companion. Nice email and news reader.
    > Good Luck

    Hi George, thank you. I hope at some point to be able to use Thunderbird,
    but it is causing me some problems now, so I will have to stick with OE6 for
    the time being.

    Julie P., May 15, 2005
  14. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Joel Rubin" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 15 May 2005 04:27:57 -0400, "Julie P."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla", at
    >>least according to this:
    >>
    >>http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >>
    >>How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.

    > Mozilla is from the same people who make Firefox. The main difference
    > between NN and Mozilla is that Mozilla is open source - anyone can
    > download the source code and a few geniuses can actually suggest
    > modifications or fixes. They already share a lot of source code.
    >
    > If you already have both NN and Firefox you probably don't need
    > Mozilla, unless you are collecting software.
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org

    Thanks for the link. Ok, I guess Mozilla Suite is the product that contains
    the Mozilla browser. I do actually collect software, so this would be nice
    to have too. Plus it's good to be trained on multiple platforms, even IE6
    and NN7.2.

    Julie P., May 15, 2005
  15. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Parko" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:
    >
    >> I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4, and am absolutely
    >> thrilled! Thanks everyone for recommending this to me! It took me a
    >> while,
    >> but I finally took the plunge and will never go back to IE6, except to
    >> see
    >> how my webpages look there. I also downloaded NN 7.2 and Opera 8 (free
    >> version), btw. (The catalyst to get me to change was this CNN article
    >> about IE's share slipping, btw:
    >>

    > http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/05/13/internet.explorer.ap/index.html)
    >>
    >> Questions:
    >>
    >> 1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs, such as Ad-Aware, SpyBot
    >> S&D,etc.? I still use IE6 and Netscape occasionally, as well as OE6 for
    >> email and newsgroups.
    >>
    >> 2) I have set my maximum cache to 2000 KB (= 2MB). Is this too small?
    >>
    >> 3) Is there any way to force Firefox to refresh everytime I visit a page,
    >> like I did with IE6?
    >>
    >> 4) The built-in google toolbar is too small, horizontally. With IE6, I
    >> had
    >> it stretch across half the browser page. Is there anyway to lengthen the
    >> toolbar box?
    >>
    >> 5) The back button is also too small when compared to IE6's. This is
    >> causing me to misclick on a regular basis. Is there a way to enlarge
    >> this?
    >>
    >> 6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla",
    >> at
    >> least according to this:
    >>
    >> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >>
    >> How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.
    >>
    >> Thanks! I'll check back tomorrow!
    >>
    >> Julie

    > A couple of points. Spyware can still get onto your system through
    > installed
    > programs. Type 'about:config' in the Firefox address bar to open up and
    > manually edit the configuration files for Firefox.

    Thanks Parko. I did that, but those settings are above my head. That's ok
    though!

    Promptly visit Firefox
    > Extensions and install a few of the neato plugins. Adblock, TinyURLcreator
    > are two good ones to begin with. Themes will install new icon sets and is
    > worth a look.

    Ok, good to know this too. I do use snipURL already, which is on my links
    bar. I will check out Adblock and see if it is different from my pop-up
    blocker.

    The default browser cache for Firefox is 50000kb, not 2000kb.
    > The Mozilla browser/Email/Newsreader/HTML editor is now discontinued, and
    > has been replaced by Firefox and Thunderbird. Netscape Navigator is so sad
    > it doesn't deserve further comment.

    I agree, although I still use Composer for creating certain webpages. And I
    like their new pop-up blocker.

    > Finally, go here: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/
    > Look at 'Tips and Tricks' to change the size of the Google Search bar

    Thanks. I did check, but there were no instructions on lengthening the
    google toolbar search box, only tips on how to remove padding from the
    navigation toolbar.

    Julie P., May 15, 2005
  16. Julie P.

    Parko Guest

    Julie P. wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:

    > Thanks. I did check, but there were no instructions on lengthening the
    > google toolbar search box, only tips on how to remove padding from the
    > navigation toolbar.

    Yes there are. Something like this:

    Change the width of the Search Bar

    By default, the Search bar on the toolbar is relatively small. To specify
    your own width in pixels, add the following code to your userChrome.css
    file:

    /* Make the Search box flex wider
    (in this case 400 pixels wide) */
    #search-container, #searchbar {
    -moz-box-flex: 400 !important;
    }

    Copy and paste.
    Good luck
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Defenestrate Windows!

    Parko, May 15, 2005
  17. Scraggy wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> Scraggy wrote:

    >>> I'm only a Brit but ??!! Err.. East? or are you on the peninsula?

    >> What, don't you think I know where I am? I'm near the mighty Powell
    >> River. On a clear day you can see Kentucky and Tennessee from here.

    > Impressive.
    > http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/pao/issues/powellriver/powellriver.htm
    >
    > Play "Duelling Banjos" a lot?

    Yeah, it's the only song I have loaded on the iPod. I brush my tooth and
    go out onto the porch and ... you know the rest.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 15, 2005
  18. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Parko" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:
    >
    >> Thanks. I did check, but there were no instructions on lengthening the
    >> google toolbar search box, only tips on how to remove padding from the
    >> navigation toolbar.

    > Yes there are. Something like this:
    >
    > Change the width of the Search Bar
    >
    > By default, the Search bar on the toolbar is relatively small. To specify
    > your own width in pixels, add the following code to your userChrome.css
    > file:
    >
    > /* Make the Search box flex wider
    > (in this case 400 pixels wide) */
    > #search-container, #searchbar {
    > -moz-box-flex: 400 !important;
    > }
    >
    > Copy and paste.
    > Good luck

    Thanks Parko! You are right. I will take a look into this. It is a
    multi-step procedure, since you have to create a file called "chrome" first,
    so it will take me some time and research, since I am new to Firfox.

    Julie P., May 16, 2005
  19. Julie P.

    elaich Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in news:uMCdnbU-Ga3ikBrfRVn-
    :

    > I'm on the west coast of Virginia.

    LMAO. Not many people will get this one.

    --
    "No sports writers were harmed during the making of this post. And what I
    want to know is - why not?"

    elaich, May 16, 2005
  20. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "elaich" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Rôgêr <> wrote in news:uMCdnbU-Ga3ikBrfRVn-
    > :
    >
    >> I'm on the west coast of Virginia.

    > LMAO. Not many people will get this one.

    I'm right next door to Rôgêr - the east coast of Oregon ;o)

    Toolman Tim, May 16, 2005