Sites which pass the Mozilla Popup Blocker

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by joe, Apr 6, 2005.

  1. joe

    joe Guest

    joe, Apr 6, 2005

  2. joe

    Arne Guest

    Arne, Apr 6, 2005

  3. John Thompson, Apr 7, 2005
  4. joe

    mike555 Guest

    mike555, Apr 7, 2005
  5. joe

    Moz Champion Guest

    Moz Champion, Apr 7, 2005
  6. joe

    joe Guest

    "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    news:J_05e.531377$...
    > joe wrote:
    >> http://www.weather.com/
    >> http://www.heartcenteronline.com/index2.cfm
    >> http://www.health.harvard.edu/hhp/index.jsp
    >>
    >> I started a list and will announce the breakers here by adding replies.
    >>
    >> -joe
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    > Are you using the pop up from plug in blocker as specified here?
    > http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007682.html
    >

    > the feature has been built in for the last several versions, all you have
    > to do is enable it

    I enabled it, went back to foodnetwork.com and no popups. Then I went back
    to weather.com and got a popup. All the popups appear on the homepages I
    mention.

    Answer this for me: if junk mail is illegal, then why isn't spam/junk
    email??

    joe, Apr 7, 2005
  7. joe

    Moz Champion Guest

    joe wrote:
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>joe wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.weather.com/
    >>>http://www.heartcenteronline.com/index2.cfm
    >>>http://www.health.harvard.edu/hhp/index.jsp
    >>>
    >>>I started a list and will announce the breakers here by adding replies.
    >>>
    >>>-joe
    >>>http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    >>Are you using the pop up from plug in blocker as specified here?
    >>http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007682.html
    >>

    >>the feature has been built in for the last several versions, all you have
    >>to do is enable it

    > I enabled it, went back to foodnetwork.com and no popups. Then I went back
    > to weather.com and got a popup. All the popups appear on the homepages I
    > mention.
    >
    > Answer this for me: if junk mail is illegal, then why isn't spam/junk
    > email??
    >
    > -joe
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    junk mail isnt illegal
    spam/junk mail isnt either. The recent anti-spam bill passed by Congress
    makes it illegal for an American company to continue spamming you after
    you tell them 3 times not to, but of course doesnt apply to spam/junk
    from anywhere else, and of course doesnt apply to any non Americans <g>
    Moz Champion, Apr 7, 2005
  8. joe

    Moz Champion Guest

    joe wrote:
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>joe wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.weather.com/
    >>>http://www.heartcenteronline.com/index2.cfm
    >>>http://www.health.harvard.edu/hhp/index.jsp
    >>>
    >>>I started a list and will announce the breakers here by adding replies.
    >>>
    >>>-joe
    >>>http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    >>Are you using the pop up from plug in blocker as specified here?
    >>http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007682.html
    >>

    >>the feature has been built in for the last several versions, all you have
    >>to do is enable it

    > I enabled it, went back to foodnetwork.com and no popups. Then I went back
    > to weather.com and got a popup. All the popups appear on the homepages I
    > mention.
    >
    > Answer this for me: if junk mail is illegal, then why isn't spam/junk
    > email??
    >
    > -joe
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    What value did you use as the integer in the pref?
    Use a value of 3 to get the full blocking ability

    There are actually 4 values for the pref
    0 allow pop-up
    1 block most but allow a few according to a white list
    2 block
    3 block, including those in the whitelist

    what homepages did you mention? Any page can be a homepage
    Moz Champion, Apr 7, 2005
  9. joe

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:48:24 GMT, in message
    <st65e.50654$>, Moz Champion wrote:

    > junk mail isnt illegal
    > spam/junk mail isnt either. The recent anti-spam bill passed by Congress
    > makes it illegal for an American company to continue spamming you after
    > you tell them 3 times not to,

    So if you tell 'Cheating Wives 1023 Inc' three times not to spam you,
    then even so, 'Cheating Wives 1247 Inc' (which curiously has the same
    officers and uses the the same email list) can spam you legally?

    --
    Cheers
    Ralph

    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?
    Ralph Fox, Apr 7, 2005
  10. joe

    Charani Guest

    Charani, Apr 7, 2005
  11. >>>>> "Charani" == Charani <> writes:

    Charani> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:16:30 GMT, joe wrote:
    >> http://www.weather.com/
    >> http://www.heartcenteronline.com/index2.cfm
    >> http://www.health.harvard.edu/hhp/index.jsp
    >>
    >> I started a list and will announce the breakers here by adding
    >> replies.

    Charani> No pop ups popped up on any of the sites above, using
    Charani> Mozilla SeaMonkey.

    These sites also work OK for me (Mozilla 1.8b2, build 2005040112), but I
    get a pop-under window at <http://www.tvparty.com>.

    Emily

    --
    "If it seem slow, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay."
    Emily Jackson
    Emily Jackson, Apr 7, 2005
  12. joe

    Travis Evans Guest

    On 04/06/2005 03:16 PM, joe wrote:
    > http://www.weather.com/

    On Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223
    Firefox/1.0.1 without the "Popups Must Die!" extension (haven't gotten
    around to installing it yet), I have not gotten any popups from
    weather.com, and I visit that site fairly often. (However, I don't have
    any plugins like Flash currently enabled, if that makes a difference.)

    --
    Travis
    [The email address on this post is valid, but may change from time to
    Travis Evans, Apr 7, 2005
  13. joe

    > joe wrote:
    >> "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    >>>Are you using the pop up from plug in blocker as specified here?
    >>>http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007682.html
    >>>

    >>>the feature has been built in for the last several versions, all you have
    >>>to do is enable it

    >> I enabled it, went back to foodnetwork.com and no popups. Then I went
    >> back to weather.com and got a popup. All the popups appear on the
    >> homepages I mention.
    >>
    >> Answer this for me: if junk mail is illegal, then why isn't spam/junk
    >> email??
    >>
    >> -joe
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    > What value did you use as the integer in the pref?
    > Use a value of 3 to get the full blocking ability
    >
    > There are actually 4 values for the pref
    > 0 allow pop-up
    > 1 block most but allow a few according to a white list
    > 2 block
    > 3 block, including those in the whitelist
    >
    > what homepages did you mention? Any page can be a homepage

    I used a value of 2. But won't that ruin the few sites where I need to use a
    popup to log in?

    joe, Apr 8, 2005
  14. joe

    joe Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:eek:...
    > On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:48:24 GMT, in message
    > <st65e.50654$>, Moz Champion
    > wrote:
    >
    >> junk mail isnt illegal
    >> spam/junk mail isnt either. The recent anti-spam bill passed by Congress
    >> makes it illegal for an American company to continue spamming you after
    >> you tell them 3 times not to,

    > So if you tell 'Cheating Wives 1023 Inc' three times not to spam you,
    > then even so, 'Cheating Wives 1247 Inc' (which curiously has the same
    > officers and uses the the same email list) can spam you legally?
    >

    >> but of course doesnt apply to spam/junk
    >> from anywhere else, and of course doesnt apply to any non Americans <g>

    > --
    > Cheers
    > Ralph
    >
    > Which is worse, ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?

    IMO yes. :(

    Perhaps someone should do a servey: "have you EVER replied to a popup?" If
    the result came back 90% NO 10% Yes then perhaps spammers will see that
    paying for spam has a low return. These people will do anything to make more
    money (the Bible says that the LOVE of money is the root of all evil - not
    just money itself.) and if someone could get across to them that they are
    not getting any returns, their "love" with be directed somewhere else... God
    willing.

    I use hotmail and MS started a "tell us what is spam" policy when you
    delete/empty your Junk Mail Folder. I have noticed a decrease in porn and
    penis-enhancer spam. Now I started getting so-called "Christian dating"
    spam.

    The disadvantage of telling the spammer not to email you is that they now
    know they have a "hit" (a valid email address) and will sell your address to
    other spammers. Also, you may be openning a virus email.

    joe, Apr 8, 2005
  15. On 2005-04-07, Moz Champion <> wrote:

    > junk mail isnt illegal
    > spam/junk mail isnt either. The recent anti-spam bill passed by Congress
    > makes it illegal for an American company to continue spamming you after
    > you tell them 3 times not to, but of course doesnt apply to spam/junk
    > from anywhere else, and of course doesnt apply to any non Americans <g>

    Well, they didn't call it "CAN-SPAM" for nothing, you know...

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Apr 8, 2005
  16. joe

    Moz Champion Guest

    joe wrote:
    > "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    > message news:eek:...
    >
    >>On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:48:24 GMT, in message
    >><st65e.50654$>, Moz Champion
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>junk mail isnt illegal
    >>>spam/junk mail isnt either. The recent anti-spam bill passed by Congress
    >>>makes it illegal for an American company to continue spamming you after
    >>>you tell them 3 times not to,

    >>So if you tell 'Cheating Wives 1023 Inc' three times not to spam you,
    >>then even so, 'Cheating Wives 1247 Inc' (which curiously has the same
    >>officers and uses the the same email list) can spam you legally?
    >>

    >>>but of course doesnt apply to spam/junk
    >>>from anywhere else, and of course doesnt apply to any non Americans <g>

    >>--
    >>Cheers
    >>Ralph
    >>
    >>Which is worse, ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares?

    > IMO yes. :(
    >
    > Perhaps someone should do a servey: "have you EVER replied to a popup?" If
    > the result came back 90% NO 10% Yes then perhaps spammers will see that
    > paying for spam has a low return. These people will do anything to make more
    > money (the Bible says that the LOVE of money is the root of all evil - not
    > just money itself.) and if someone could get across to them that they are
    > not getting any returns, their "love" with be directed somewhere else... God
    > willing.
    >
    > I use hotmail and MS started a "tell us what is spam" policy when you
    > delete/empty your Junk Mail Folder. I have noticed a decrease in porn and
    > penis-enhancer spam. Now I started getting so-called "Christian dating"
    > spam.
    >
    > The disadvantage of telling the spammer not to email you is that they now
    > know they have a "hit" (a valid email address) and will sell your address to
    > other spammers. Also, you may be openning a virus email.
    >
    > -joe
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    Joes quite corrrect

    And thats the failure of the spam law. Many people thought it would
    mean something but all it really does is force the spammers to switch
    identities now and then, or use overseas identities which are exempt of
    course.

    The only true way to stop spam is to make it costly for the spammers to
    stay in business. And anyone can do that, simply by reporting the
    websites the spam uses (to sell it goods, as image resources, as 'sign
    off' sites) to the ISP hosting them. The only ISPs that dont co-operate
    are closed (actually cut off) by their networks (all the major networks
    have stringent anti-spam provisions).

    The laws wont assist you here, its the guidelines and restrictions of
    the PRIVATE firms who provide internet access and hosting. They are the
    key. By using those, you can effectively shut down a spammer that by any
    other means was operating with impunity.
    Moz Champion, Apr 8, 2005
  17. joe

    Moz Champion Guest

    joe wrote:
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>joe wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    >>>I enabled it, went back to foodnetwork.com and no popups. Then I went
    >>>back to weather.com and got a popup. All the popups appear on the
    >>>homepages I mention.
    >>>
    >>>Answer this for me: if junk mail is illegal, then why isn't spam/junk
    >>>email??
    >>>
    >>>-joe
    >>>http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    >>What value did you use as the integer in the pref?
    >>Use a value of 3 to get the full blocking ability
    >>
    >>There are actually 4 values for the pref
    >>0 allow pop-up
    >>1 block most but allow a few according to a white list
    >>2 block
    >>3 block, including those in the whitelist
    >>
    >>what homepages did you mention? Any page can be a homepage

    > I used a value of 2. But won't that ruin the few sites where I need to use a
    > popup to log in?

    Depends on how the pop up is generated. Remember only UNREQUESTED pop
    ups are blocked. If you click on a link that generates a pop up, you
    will still get it, as its a request.
    Moz Champion, Apr 8, 2005
  18. joe

    Moz Champion Guest

    Emily Jackson wrote:

    > Charani> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:16:30 GMT, joe wrote:
    > >> http://www.weather.com/
    > >> http://www.heartcenteronline.com/index2.cfm
    > >> http://www.health.harvard.edu/hhp/index.jsp
    > >>
    > >> I started a list and will announce the breakers here by adding
    > >> replies.

    > Charani> No pop ups popped up on any of the sites above, using
    > Charani> Mozilla SeaMonkey.
    >
    > These sites also work OK for me (Mozilla 1.8b2, build 2005040112), but I
    > get a pop-under window at <http://www.tvparty.com>.
    >
    > Emily

    Are you using the blcok pop ups from plug ins preference?
    Moz Champion, Apr 8, 2005
  19. joe

    > joe wrote:
    >> "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    >>>Are you using the pop up from plug in blocker as specified here?
    >>>http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007682.html
    >>>

    >>>the feature has been built in for the last several versions, all you have
    >>>to do is enable it

    >> I enabled it, went back to foodnetwork.com and no popups. Then I went
    >> back to weather.com and got a popup. All the popups appear on the
    >> homepages I mention.
    >>
    >> Answer this for me: if junk mail is illegal, then why isn't spam/junk
    >> email??
    >>
    >> -joe
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

    > junk mail isnt illegal
    > spam/junk mail isnt either. The recent anti-spam bill passed by Congress
    > makes it illegal for an American company to continue spamming you after
    > you tell them 3 times not to, but of course doesnt apply to spam/junk from
    > anywhere else, and of course doesnt apply to any non Americans <g>

    I set the preference (privacy...plugins) to a value of 3:
    [1] visited weather.com and got a popup,
    [2] closed and reopened Mozilla Firefox, visited weather.com and got a
    popup, and
    [3] turned off and rebooted my machine, visited weather.com and got a popup.

    In typing this post I went to dictionary.com ('opened', not 'openned' :) and
    got a popup. The sites which require a popup to log in still work.

    joe, Apr 8, 2005
  20. joe

    joe Guest

    joe, Apr 8, 2005