    3)if my network id is 192.168.0 and my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, how
    should one come up with the subnet number.could the subnet be any number for
    the site.

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29sbGlucw==?=, Jan 6, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Y29sbGlucw==?=

    Nerd32768 Guest

    "collins" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > 1) if one wants to create and maintain a single site & have a domain tree

    of
    > multiple child domains. do they add a domain controller from each domain

    > the site. if so do they need to configure each as a bridgrhead server.
    >
    > 2) if one wants to create a forest root domain with multiple child

    domains.
    > if the company has offices in different countries and wants the child

    domains
    > to represent these branches. where do they create the child donains. is it

    on
    > the domain controllers off-site or on-site. should they always also have

    vpn

    www.learntosubnet.com

    Nerd32768, Jan 6, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Y29sbGlucw==?=

    Kurt Guest

    "collins" <> wrote in message
    1) if one wants to create and maintain a single site & have a domain tree
    of
    multiple child domains. do they add a domain controller from each domain to
    the site. if so do they need to configure each as a bridgrhead server.

    --Yes. Only one site, all DCs for child domains in the site.

    2) if one wants to create a forest root domain with multiple child domains.
    if the company has offices in different countries and wants the child
    domains
    to represent these branches. where do they create the child donains. is it
    on
    the domain controllers off-site or on-site. should they always also have
    vpn
    connection establish when they decide to create the child domain.

    --The DCs shold be at the remote locations. Only minimal replication should
    be required between the parent and child domains. Delegate the DNS zones to
    the child domains. You'll need a connection to create toeh domains. Whether
    VPN, Private (T1, E1, etc) or whatever is up to you.

    3)if my network id is 192.168.0 and my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, how
    should one come up with the subnet number.could the subnet be any number
    for
    the site.

    --If your network is 192.168.0 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, there
    are no subnets, your mask encompasses the whole Class C network. You can use
    CIDR addressing to increase the size (i.e. 192.168.0 mask 255.255.254.0
    creates a network from 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.1.254 with 512 addresses
    instead od 256). Since you are using private addressing, you can just choose
    networks at random. Leave as much room between them for growth as you want.
    Note that VPNs can be routed or bridged, so you don't necessarily need
    subnets to connect sites. Obviously if you have a domain tree structure
    between sites subnetting is desirable.

    Kurt, Jan 7, 2005