    Does anybody know why this is happening?

    Cheers.
    Joe.
    Joe, Aug 11, 2007

  2. Joe

    Joe Guest

    For 'messaga' pls read 'message'.

    ;-)

    Joe.
    Joe, Aug 11, 2007

  3. Joe

    meerkat Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    news:UBnvi.49165$...

    > Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >
    > www.kic.me.uk
    >
    > What happens when I click it is this......
    >
    > The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to
    > install something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.
    >
    > Does anybody know why this is happening?

    You`ve got a problem !.
    It takes me straight to the Kic website.
    meerkat, Aug 11, 2007
  4. Joe

    Vanguard Guest

    "Joe" wrote in message

    > Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >
    > www.kic.me.uk
    >
    > What happens when I click it is this......
    >
    > The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to
    > install something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.
    >
    > Does anybody know why this is happening?

    Probably because you don't have a legitimate copy of MS Office
    installed, or a trial version has since expired. When installing, the
    user can select some features that will load (by getting installed at
    that time) when they are requested. Looks like you clicked somewhere on
    that site for a document that requires a feature gets installed from MS
    Office. Since you don't have MS Office, you can't install whatever
    feature is wanted. If the problem is viewing an MS doc, Microsoft has
    read-only viewers for several of their doc formats (see their download
    site for various viewers).

    The "kick me" site wants to download and install an ActiveX control on
    your host. I wouldn't allow this site to load their garbage code on my
    host. You'll have to ask the webmaster at that site what their AX
    control wants to do.
    Vanguard, Aug 11, 2007
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >>
    >> www.kic.me.uk
    >>
    >> What happens when I click it is this......
    >>
    >> The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to
    >> install something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know why this is happening?
    >>

    > You`ve got a problem !.
    > It takes me straight to the Kic website.

    So your system opens the site just fine? No messages?

    Thanks.
    Joe.
    Joe, Aug 11, 2007
  6. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "Joe" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >>
    >> www.kic.me.uk
    >>
    >> What happens when I click it is this......
    >>
    >> The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to
    >> install something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know why this is happening?

    > Probably because you don't have a legitimate copy of MS Office installed,
    > or a trial version has since expired. When installing, the user can
    > select some features that will load (by getting installed at that time)
    > when they are requested. Looks like you clicked somewhere on that site
    > for a document that requires a feature gets installed from MS Office.
    > Since you don't have MS Office, you can't install whatever feature is
    > wanted. If the problem is viewing an MS doc, Microsoft has read-only
    > viewers for several of their doc formats (see their download site for
    > various viewers).
    >
    > The "kick me" site wants to download and install an ActiveX control on
    > your host. I wouldn't allow this site to load their garbage code on my
    > host. You'll have to ask the webmaster at that site what their AX control
    > wants to do.

    I only have MS Word 2000 installed, and that's been there for app., 7 years.
    The original CDs if any are long gone and I don't even recall having it as I
    had it on my PC when I bought it. I've only ever upgraded my OS from Win ME
    to Win XP. Would uninstalling the Word program help this problem? I can't of
    course re-install it if it doesn't do the trick.

    Joe.
    Joe, Aug 11, 2007
  7. Joe

    Vanguard Guest

    "Joe" wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" wrote ...
    >>
    >>> "Joe" wrote ...
    >>>
    >>> Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >>>
    >>> www.kic.me.uk
    >>>
    >>> What happens when I click it is this......
    >>>
    >>> The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to
    >>> install something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.
    >>>
    >>> Does anybody know why this is happening?

    >> Probably because you don't have a legitimate copy of MS Office
    >> installed, or a trial version has since expired. When installing,
    >> the user can select some features that will load (by getting
    >> installed at that time) when they are requested. Looks like you
    >> clicked somewhere on that site for a document that requires a feature
    >> gets installed from MS Office. Since you don't have MS Office, you
    >> can't install whatever feature is wanted. If the problem is viewing
    >> an MS doc, Microsoft has read-only viewers for several of their doc
    >> formats (see their download site for various viewers).
    >>
    >> The "kick me" site wants to download and install an ActiveX control
    >> on your host. I wouldn't allow this site to load their garbage code
    >> on my host. You'll have to ask the webmaster at that site what their
    >> AX control wants to do.
    >>

    > I only have MS Word 2000 installed, and that's been there for app., 7
    > years. The original CDs if any are long gone and I don't even recall
    > having it as I had it on my PC when I bought it. I've only ever
    > upgraded my OS from Win ME to Win XP. Would uninstalling the Word
    > program help this problem? I can't of course re-install it if it
    > doesn't do the trick.

    Does the popup asking for MS Office CDs also mention what it wants to
    install, like what document type? Microsoft's download site has viewers
    for Word, Excel, Access, XPS, and others.

    If you uninstall Word and don't have the install CDs for it then you
    won't be able to reinstall it. If you use Word for editing documents,
    uninstalling it means you'll lose its use thereafter. But then you're
    in a limbo situation where if it needs to get reinstalled, like a hard
    drive failure, you won't be able to install it. You could uninstall
    Word and then install Open Office to get similar doc support
    (http://www.openoffice.org/). For MS Office, you can go into the
    Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel and select the Change button
    for that product to then change the settings for many of the features
    within the product. You could then ensure that none are set to "install
    on demand" (or whatever Microsoft calls it) that would prompt for the
    CDs if the feature was requested. I've never had just Word installed so
    I don't know if it has a Change button in Add/Remove Programs.

    The site is using an AX control. It is likely that it is causing the
    problem. You might want to ask the site why they need the AX control
    and why it instigates a prompt to install an Office feature. I refused
    to allow it to install so I don't know what it does.

    http://support.microsoft.com/search...=prompts for install cd&adv=&mode=s&cat=False
    Vanguard, Aug 11, 2007
  8. Joe

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 18:54:44 GMT, Joe wrote:

    >Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >
    >www.kic.me.uk

    Somebody needs to go on a webdesign / publishing course it's got too
    much in the way of font / color changes green blue yellow all mixed up
    on 1 line. Font sizes changing all the time.

    >What happens when I click it is this......
    >
    >The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to install
    >something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.
    >
    >Does anybody know why this is happening?

    Firewall Logs - stopping

    d.m2.net - ActiveX
    www.paperclip.org.uk - ActiveX
    3 lots of searchscotland - Ads
    2 lots of doubleclick - Ads

    Another set of FP for webpage developers, and the new overbloated format
    to create pages,

    xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" x

    This doesn't help
    <link rel="File-List" href="carnival_files/filelist.xml">

    MSIE isn't great on XML, my site (no you won't get a URL) is XHTML
    served out and XML, Most browsers cope with this MSIE doesn't even load
    the page, it tries to save it.

    Or code like, what version of Office

    <!--[if gte mso 9]>
    <xml><o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1027"/>
    </xml><![endif]-->

    Which when loaded writes out different text to the browser.

    Loaded okay in SeaMonkey 1.1.4 with a firewall that blocks a lot of
    stuff like AX, Scripting.

    Did load in MSIE 6 , XP SP2, PC has bits of Visio and Word 2003
    installed, some later versions were removed.

    Me
    why?, Aug 11, 2007
  9. Joe

    ded Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message

    > Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >
    > www.kic.me.uk
    >
    > What happens when I click it is this......
    >
    > The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to
    > install something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.
    >
    > Does anybody know why this is happening?
    >
    > Cheers.
    > Joe.

    The site loads fine for me in IE and FF, there are no pop-ups concerning
    plug-ins or ActiveX etc.

    What exactly happens when you click on the link - assuming it is IE you
    are using? What version of IE?

    Could it be a Windows automatic Update that is overlaying and seeking
    a file from MS Office?

    Is it only with this site that you get the pop-up?

    What exactly is the wording of the pop up? The file that it is seeking
    and it directs you to install a MS Office CD, post full details and we will
    look it up, it maybe possible to download whatever the required file is
    from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search.aspx?displaylang=en

    This is not uncommon with OEM pre-installed MS software, auto update
    may prompt for a non existant installation disk, though normally segments
    can be downloaded and the update directed to the download etc, though I
    can't figure why that site would cause a prompt? Fonts maybe?
    Or it could a conflict with an older version of IE?
    Post details of the exact wording of the message, OS, and version of IE
    Also your installation of OE is a bit out of date...When did you last update
    your version of Windows/IE/OE?
    ded, Aug 11, 2007
  10. Joe wrote:

    > Would uninstalling the Word program help this problem? I can't of
    > course re-install it if it doesn't do the trick.

    If you really want to uninstall it, go ahead and then go get OpenOffice.
    It's free.

    http://openoffice.org/

    BTW, why would anyone want to visit that horrible web site? :)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 11, 2007
  11. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "ded" <> wrote in message news:f9l5lv$i55$...

    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >>
    >> www.kic.me.uk
    >>
    >> What happens when I click it is this......
    >>
    >> The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to
    >> install something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.
    >>
    >> Does anybody know why this is happening?
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >> Joe.
    >>

    > The site loads fine for me in IE and FF, there are no pop-ups concerning
    > plug-ins or ActiveX etc.
    >
    > What exactly happens when you click on the link - assuming it is IE you
    > are using? What version of IE?
    >
    > Could it be a Windows automatic Update that is overlaying and seeking
    > a file from MS Office?
    >
    > Is it only with this site that you get the pop-up?
    >
    > What exactly is the wording of the pop up? The file that it is seeking
    > and it directs you to install a MS Office CD, post full details and we
    > will
    > look it up, it maybe possible to download whatever the required file is
    > from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search.aspx?displaylang=en
    >
    > This is not uncommon with OEM pre-installed MS software, auto update
    > may prompt for a non existant installation disk, though normally segments
    > can be downloaded and the update directed to the download etc, though I
    > can't figure why that site would cause a prompt? Fonts maybe?
    > Or it could a conflict with an older version of IE?
    > Post details of the exact wording of the message, OS, and version of IE
    > Also your installation of OE is a bit out of date...When did you last
    > update
    > your version of Windows/IE/OE?

    Thanks everyone.

    It appears the site is trying to load something from a CD as it says
    "Preparing to install MS Office features from CD-ROM drive E:". It then says
    "CD-ROM Drive is not available". (The actual drive is okay though).
    I think it looks like it's trying to install fonts...'from what these
    replies have said. It also says "Error1706".

    The site however does 'not' ask me to allow installation of any AX. Does
    that mean I have it already? Can I uninstall it?
    I don't know much about AX...'is it harmful?

    Joe.
    Joe, Aug 11, 2007
  12. Joe

    Joe Guest

    > BTW, why would anyone want to visit that horrible web site? :)

    Erm.....'I have to take the photos for that horrible site tomorrow. lol.

    Joe.

    P.S. It is pretty ugly I have to admit, but I didn't write it. Mainly coz I
    couldn't anyway. I don't know html.
    Joe, Aug 11, 2007
  13. Joe

    Plato Guest

    Joe wrote:

    > Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >
    > www.kic.me.uk
    >
    > What happens when I click it is this......
    >
    > The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to install
    > something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.

    Doesn't matter, any site that 'demands" that you have office is NOT a
    good site to visit....

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 11, 2007
  14. Joe

    nobody > Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >
    > www.kic.me.uk
    >
    > What happens when I click it is this......
    >
    > The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to install
    > something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.
    >
    > Does anybody know why this is happening?
    >
    > Cheers.
    > Joe.

    Nothing apparently bad on the website:
    Using http://web-sniffer.net/

    <head>
    5,000 people to the Colzium estate between Glasgow and Stirling, Scotland">
    content="kilsyth,international,carnival,festival,music,august,14th,lanarkshire,events,glasgow,free
    entry,family,samba,latin,jazz,rock,colzium,drums,dance,asian,african,scottish
    ">
    <title>Kilsyth International Carnival</title>
    </head>
    <frameset cols="100%,*" border="0">
    <frame src="http://www.paperclip.org.uk/carnival.htm" name="uk2.net">
    <noframes>
    <head>
    URL=http://www.paperclip.org.uk/carnival.htm">
    </head>
    alink="#000000">
    href="http://www.paperclip.org.uk/carnival.htm">Kilsyth International
    Carnival</a></font>
    </noframes>
    </frameset>
    nobody >, Aug 11, 2007
  15. Joe

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Bada bing Plato <|@|.|> bada bang:
    > Joe wrote:
    >>
    >> Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >>
    >> www.kic.me.uk
    >>
    >> What happens when I click it is this......
    >>
    >> The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to install
    >> something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.

    > Doesn't matter, any site that 'demands" that you have office is NOT a
    > good site to visit....

    I was able to view this site with Firefox on Linux with no
    problem, so it doesn't 'demand' that you have MS Office.
    However, the ugliness of the site *and* the generated source code
    behind it are more than enough reason to run to the nearest
    eye-wash sattion.

    That said, I don't think it is an ActiveX issue, but it might
    have to do with Office being detected, but not up to the page's
    standards. It's probably IE that is asking for help rendering
    the site.

    Mike "too ugly for my browser?" Yetto
    --
    "There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free
    government ought to be to trust no man living with power to
    Mike Yetto, Aug 11, 2007
  16. Joe

    ded Guest

    "Mike Yetto" <> wrote in message
    > Bada bing Plato <|@|.|> bada bang:
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >>>
    >>> www.kic.me.uk
    >>>
    >>> What happens when I click it is this......
    >>>
    >>> The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to
    >>> install
    >>> something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.

    >> Doesn't matter, any site that 'demands" that you have office is NOT a
    >> good site to visit....
    >>

    > I was able to view this site with Firefox on Linux with no
    > problem, so it doesn't 'demand' that you have MS Office.
    > However, the ugliness of the site *and* the generated source code
    > behind it are more than enough reason to run to the nearest
    > eye-wash sattion.
    >
    > That said, I don't think it is an ActiveX issue, but it might
    > have to do with Office being detected, but not up to the page's
    > standards. It's probably IE that is asking for help rendering
    > the site.
    >
    > Mike "too ugly for my browser?" Yetto

    There is no doubt that all who have viewed have found it to be one
    seriously ugly and poorly designed site, but I have to admit that I am
    quite intriqued by the headlining act, "David Sneddon and the Peatbog
    Faeries" and also on the bill are the "Kinch Mirage belly dancers" and
    a disco pimp! And part of the site is in Arabic, Urdu and I think a
    Chinese dialect too? All in the Scottish highlands and just £2 entry.
    ded, Aug 12, 2007
  17. Joe

    Vanguard Guest

    "Joe" wrote in message

    > Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >
    > www.kic.me.uk
    >
    > What happens when I click it is this......
    >
    > The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to
    > install something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.
    >
    > Does anybody know why this is happening?

    The site calls out for several fonts:

    Arial
    Geneva
    Helvetica
    SunSans
    Tahoma
    Trebuchet MS
    Verdana

    In the Fonts applet in Control Panel, are those fonts listed? While
    Office 2000 installs those fonts
    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837463/en-us), maybe your particular
    Word install didn't include them. I didn't find a download link from
    Microsoft to get the Office fonts, but I hear but cannot verify that the
    Office 2007 compatibility Pack includes fonts
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en).

    If the site renders under the Internet security zone, is that zone
    configured to enable font downloads? You might try setting it to Prompt
    you when a site wants to download a new font (I already have those fonts
    so no download is needed so no prompting, either). I set font download
    in IE to Disabled since I'm not interested in getting Chinese fonts
    because I don't read Chinese.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826712
    https://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140129(office.10).aspx#wininstaller_topic6
    So I guess an ActiveX control could request an advertised component of
    MS-Office.
    Vanguard, Aug 12, 2007
  18. Joe

    Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote:

    >The site however does 'not' ask me to allow installation of any AX. Does
    >that mean I have it already? Can I uninstall it?
    >I don't know much about AX...'is it harmful?

    Control panel/Internet Options/advanced
    activeX or now called Active Content.

    "An ActiveX control can be an extremely insecure way to provide a
    feature. Because it is a Component Object Model (COM) object, it can
    do anything the user can do from that computer. It can read from and
    write to the registry, and it has access to the local file system.
    From the moment a user downloads an ActiveX control, the control may
    be vulnerable to attack because any Web application on the Internet
    can repurpose it, that is, use the control for its own ends whether
    sincere or malicious."
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa752035.aspx

    --

    http://wannabepoet.net/img/0001/Mexican.jpg
    , Aug 12, 2007
  19. Mike Yetto wrote:
    > Bada bing Plato <|@|.|> bada bang:
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >>>
    >>> www.kic.me.uk
    >>>
    >>> What happens when I click it is this......
    >>>
    >>> The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to install
    >>> something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.

    >> Doesn't matter, any site that 'demands" that you have office is NOT a
    >> good site to visit....
    >>

    > I was able to view this site with Firefox on Linux with no
    > problem, so it doesn't 'demand' that you have MS Office.
    > However, the ugliness of the site *and* the generated source code
    > behind it are more than enough reason to run to the nearest
    > eye-wash sattion.
    >
    > That said, I don't think it is an ActiveX issue, but it might
    > have to do with Office being detected, but not up to the page's
    > standards. It's probably IE that is asking for help rendering
    > the site.

    Okay here in lynx. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 12, 2007
  20. Joe

    Mitch Guest

    In article <UBnvi.49165$>, Joe
    <> wrote:

    > Could someone 'test' this link for me?
    >
    > www.kic.me.uk
    >
    > What happens when I click it is this......
    >
    > The homepage opens and then a messaga pops up telling me it needs to install
    > something from the MS Office CDs, which I don't have.
    >
    > Does anybody know why this is happening?

    My first guess is that the page tries to open a document of MS Office
    type, which you don't have.
    No problem.
    Go download OpenOffice or NeoOffice or one of the other free package
    suites. They're great, and they can open almost anything made in a
    Microsoft program (the rest of the kinds no one should be using.)
    Mitch, Aug 12, 2007