Site-to-Site VPN with PIX 506E

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Lou Chorich, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Lou Chorich

    Lou Chorich Guest

    I'd appreciate advice from the group regarding setup of a site-to-site VPN
    using a Cisco Secure PIX 506E Firewall. I'm considering the purchase of two
    of these firewalls to help my small company set up a secure connection
    between two offices. I have a programming background, but this type of work
    is new to me.

    I would like to link two office locations together for the purpose of
    transferring some files back and forth between two Dell PowerVault NAS (one
    at each location). Each site has a fixed IP address.

    I read the documentation from Cisco's web site, and the configuration of the
    firewalls seems straightforward. However, I've never used a site-to-site
    VPN before.

    My question: Once the site-to-site VPN connection is established, can I
    simply map a network drive to the IP address of the remote system and expect
    the PIX boxes to transmit the data via the VPN? Could it really be that
    easy or am I missing something? Do I have to configure Windows XP Pro to
    create the VPN connection. I didn't think so since the PIX boxes seem to be
    fully in charge of the VPN connection.

    Is the PIX box well suited to the task I'd like to accomplish? If I get
    stuck and need to call an IT consultant, I would at least like to know that
    I supplied the correct hardware! I'm willing to learn, so any
    recommendations of an appropriate book are welcomed. But if my questions
    lead you to believe I should outsource this job, let me know.

    Thanks for your thoughts,

    Lou Chorich

    Lou Chorich, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Lou Chorich

    Rik Bain Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 22:45:40 -0600, Lou Chorich wrote:

    > My question: Once the site-to-site VPN connection is established, can I
    > simply map a network drive to the IP address of the remote system and
    > expect the PIX boxes to transmit the data via the VPN? Could it really
    > be that easy or am I missing something? Do I have to configure Windows
    > XP Pro to create the VPN connection. I didn't think so since the PIX
    > boxes seem to be fully in charge of the VPN connection.

    The tunnel will forward all unicast IP traffic (depending in IPSEC
    policy). Any "windows" drive mappings will rely on the higher layer
    protocols to make them work, just as you would expect over any other
    cross-subnet routing device.

    > Is the PIX box well suited to the task I'd like to accomplish? If I get
    > stuck and need to call an IT consultant, I would at least like to know
    > that I supplied the correct hardware! I'm willing to learn, so any
    > recommendations of an appropriate book are welcomed. But if my
    > questions lead you to believe I should outsource this job, let me know.

    If you get stuck and purchased the PIX from cisco/reseller you should be
    able to call TAC and have someone help you out. Either way, the
    equipment is well suited for your task.

    Rik Bain, Dec 27, 2003