Site-to-site VPN Cisco 1811 - wireless

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Robert Jacobs, Dec 2, 2009.

  1. Thank you in advance for your help, experts.

    I have a family friend that owns a small company with 2 locations (10
    pcs on one end, and 5 on the other). They have static IP addresses -
    their internet connection is a Wireless connection (DSL and Cable not
    available).

    He would like to setup some way for the PCs at both locations to be
    able to talk to each other. I am thinking about purchasing 2 x Cisco
    1811 routers, connecting them to the ethernet connection provided by
    the wireless devices located at each location, and setting up a site-
    to-site VPN connection using these devices.

    First of all, does this sound like something that's workable/doable?
    Second, if it is doable, does anybody know these routers well enough
    to tell me if it is something that I should be able to do within the
    SDM (GUI), or if there will be a lot of command line configuration
    required. And, finally, can anybody give me the steps I would have to
    perform to get this to work properly - or a website I can go to that
    will give me a step-by-step procedure to complete this task with these
    routers.

    We don't have a ton of money, just enough for the equipment, and want
    to make sure it's something that will even be possible if the
    equipment is purchased in this scenario - before delving head first
    into it. And if it is possible, we want to make sure it's something
    that we'll be able to actually do ourselves - hence the step-by-step
    procedures requested.

    I am very tech savy, and actually had my CCNA quite a few years ago,
    so I know my way around most routers (for the most part). However,
    things have changed, and I want to make sure I can handle this before
    commiting to him.

    Thanks a bunch, experts - you're my saving grace...
    Robert Jacobs, Dec 2, 2009

  2. On Dec 2, 2:47 pm, Aaron Leonard <> wrote:
    > ~ Thank you in advance for your help, experts.
    > ~
    > ~ I have a family friend that owns a small company with 2 locations (10
    > ~ pcs on one end, and 5 on the other).  They have static IP addresses -
    > ~ their internet connection is a Wireless connection (DSL and Cable not
    > ~ available).
    > ~
    > ~ He would like to setup some way for the PCs at both locations to be
    > ~ able to talk to each other.  I am thinking about purchasing 2 x Cisco
    > ~ 1811 routers, connecting them to the ethernet connection provided by
    > ~ the wireless devices located at each location, and setting up a site-
    > ~ to-site VPN connection using these devices.
    > ~
    > ~ First of all, does this sound like something that's workable/doable?
    > ~ Second, if it is doable, does anybody know these routers well enough
    > ~ to tell me if it is something that I should be able to do within the
    > ~ SDM (GUI), or if there will be a lot of command line configuration
    > ~ required.  And, finally, can anybody give me the steps I would have to
    > ~ perform to get this to work properly - or a website I can go to that
    > ~ will give me a step-by-step procedure to complete this task with these
    > ~ routers.
    > ~
    > ~ We don't have a ton of money, just enough for the equipment, and want
    > ~ to make sure it's something that will even be possible if the
    > ~ equipment is purchased in this scenario - before delving head first
    > ~ into it.  And if it is possible, we want to make sure it's something
    > ~ that we'll be able to actually do ourselves - hence the step-by-step
    > ~ procedures requested.
    > ~
    > ~ I am very tech savy, and actually had my CCNA quite a few years ago,
    > ~ so I know my way around most routers (for the most part).  However,
    > ~ things have changed, and I want to make sure I can handle this before
    > ~ commiting to him.
    > ~
    > ~ Thanks a bunch, experts - you're my saving grace...
    >
    > What kind of wireless are you talking about?  3G (CDMA/GSM)?
    >
    > That would be doable with a pair of pair of 3G-equipped 881s (or, more
    > expensively, with higher end routers with 3G HWICs - but not the 1811,
    > which doesn't have 3G.)http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps10082/data...
    >
    > Set up the 3G cellular interface on each router to access your provider.
    > Then configure the IPsec tunnel between the sites.  Should work fine.
    >
    > I don't know whether or not SDM can configure the whole shebang.  In any
    > case, the routers should come with tech support to help you get it
    > set up.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Aaron

    Aaron, thanks. It's a wireless provider, not a cellular (3g)
    provider. It is basically radio waves that come into the building
    through a wireless receiver - and they basically give us an ethernet
    port. It's practially the same thing as DSL/Cable - except it's
    wireless... No cell phone cards or anything like that.

    I would also like to know how to "Then configure the IPsec tunnel
    between the sites. Should work fine.". That's the part I'm not sure
    on, and wondering if there's maybe a step-by-step procedure? Thanks
    again.
    Robert Jacobs, Dec 2, 2009

  3. Robert Jacobs

    Rob Guest

    Robert Jacobs <> wrote:
    > Aaron, thanks. It's a wireless provider, not a cellular (3g)
    > provider. It is basically radio waves that come into the building
    > through a wireless receiver - and they basically give us an ethernet
    > port. It's practially the same thing as DSL/Cable - except it's
    > wireless... No cell phone cards or anything like that.

    Do they provide you with a single ethernet port where you can connect
    only a single PC without providing your own router, or does the device
    have multiple ports and/or you could connect your own switch and have
    many pcs access the internet without further hardware and/or software?

    I ask this because it is very likely that the box you got from the
    provider already is a router and provides NAT functionality to translate
    many internal PC addresses to a single external address.

    It will be more difficult to connect another router to such a device
    and then setup IPsec tunnels.

    > I would also like to know how to "Then configure the IPsec tunnel
    > between the sites. Should work fine.". That's the part I'm not sure
    > on, and wondering if there's maybe a step-by-step procedure? Thanks
    > again.

    If you need to ask this, it might be better to ask a supplier to
    configure everything for you, or to go with another manufacturer who
    is more oriented towards do-it-yourself installation of their equipment
    without too much expertise.
    Rob, Dec 3, 2009
  4. On Dec 3, 3:41 am, Rob <> wrote:
    > Robert Jacobs <> wrote:
    > > Aaron, thanks.  It's a wireless provider, not a cellular (3g)
    > > provider.  It is basically radio waves that come into the building
    > > through a wireless receiver - and they basically give us an ethernet
    > > port.  It's practially the same thing as DSL/Cable - except it's
    > > wireless...  No cell phone cards or anything like that.

    > Do they provide you with a single ethernet port where you can connect
    > only a single PC without providing your own router, or does the device
    > have multiple ports and/or you could connect your own switch and have
    > many pcs access the internet without further hardware and/or software?
    >
    > I ask this because it is very likely that the box you got from the
    > provider already is a router and provides NAT functionality to translate
    > many internal PC addresses to a single external address.
    >
    > It will be more difficult to connect another router to such a device
    > and then setup IPsec tunnels.
    >
    > > I would also like to know how to "Then configure the IPsec tunnel
    > > between the sites.  Should work fine.".  That's the part I'm not sure
    > > on, and wondering if there's maybe a step-by-step procedure?  Thanks
    > > again.

    > If you need to ask this, it might be better to ask a supplier to
    > configure everything for you, or to go with another manufacturer who
    > is more oriented towards do-it-yourself installation of their equipment
    > without too much expertise.

    -Do they provide you with a single ethernet port where you can connect
    -only a single PC without providing your own router, or does the
    device
    -have multiple ports and/or you could connect your own switch and have
    -many pcs access the internet without further hardware and/or
    software?

    That's a good question - I'm not really sure. I would assume it's
    just a modem type device, but you know what they say about assuming.

    As far as asking for a step-by-step procedure, it's not that I don't
    think I would be able to figure it out myself, it's that I'd like to
    see an example of performing this operation, so I can see what the SDM
    looks like for this procedure. I currently maintain 3 x Cisco 2800
    series routers for the company I work for, and have setup one site-to-
    site vpn, however, it was done in a completely different environment,
    and it's an older version of the SDM. I just want to see what the
    steps look like using this particular router/SDM.
    Robert Jacobs, Dec 3, 2009
  5. Robert Jacobs schrieb:
    > Thank you in advance for your help, experts.
    >
    > I have a family friend that owns a small company with 2 locations (10
    > pcs on one end, and 5 on the other). They have static IP addresses -
    > their internet connection is a Wireless connection (DSL and Cable not
    > available).
    >
    > He would like to setup some way for the PCs at both locations to be
    > able to talk to each other. I am thinking about purchasing 2 x Cisco
    > 1811 routers....

    Hello Robert,

    if you have not yet purchased the hardware - did you consider to set up
    the whole thing with a little ASA5505 instead of the 1811 at each end?
    It comes with a SSL webfrontend and a wizard within for setting up the
    ipsec site to site.
    Costs for the 2 ASAs should be less, too, I think.

    Regards,
    Claudio
    Claudio Schnell da Silva, Dec 3, 2009
  6. Robert Jacobs

    Techno_Guy Guest

    On Dec 3, 2:12 pm, Claudio Schnell da Silva <>
    wrote:
    > Robert Jacobs schrieb:
    >
    > > Thank you in advance for your help, experts.

    > > I have a family friend that owns a small company with 2 locations (10
    > > pcs on one end, and 5 on the other).  They have static IP addresses -
    > > their internet connection is a Wireless connection (DSL and Cable not
    > > available).

    > > He would like to setup some way for the PCs at both locations to be
    > > able to talk to each other.  I am thinking about purchasing 2 x Cisco
    > > 1811 routers....

    > Hello Robert,
    >
    > if you have not yet purchased the hardware - did you consider to set up
    > the whole thing with a little ASA5505 instead of the 1811 at each end?
    > It comes with a SSL webfrontend and a wizard within for setting up the
    > ipsec site to site.
    > Costs for the 2 ASAs should be less, too, I think.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Claudio

    before you do anything, I would suggest you should call the internet
    provider to make sure they do not block ipsec. I have seen some
    wireless providers that do.
    Techno_Guy, Dec 3, 2009