    They clearly don't want anyone to know what they're up to... read all
    the great information there by all means, but DON'T give them your
    images if you value them.
    mark_ellis, Sep 21, 2006

  2. mark_ellis

    Marvin Guest

    mark_ellis wrote:
    > I was looking for a site to discuss digital photography and perhaps
    > upload some stuff to be critiqued... I found http://www.ukexpert.co.uk
    > which looks excellent in terms of content.
    >
    > I noticed their T&Cs state that you give them copyright to your images
    > for them or their "associated companies" to do with they wish!
    >
    > When you post anything on the boards, messages don't get posted until
    > an Admin looks at them, and any questions I asked about "what
    > companies" and "what commercial use" were blocked. When I PMd the site
    > admins asking them privately for that information, they banned my
    > account and IP address...
    >
    > They clearly don't want anyone to know what they're up to... read all
    > the great information there by all means, but DON'T give them your
    > images if you value them.

    That site is not unique. One should always look into a
    site's policy on copyright before uploading anything.
    Marvin, Sep 21, 2006

  3. mark_ellis wrote:
    > I was looking for a site to discuss digital photography and perhaps
    > upload some stuff to be critiqued... I found http://www.ukexpert.co.uk
    > which looks excellent in terms of content.
    >
    > I noticed their T&Cs state that you give them copyright to your images
    > for them or their "associated companies" to do with they wish!
    >
    > When you post anything on the boards, messages don't get posted until
    > an Admin looks at them, and any questions I asked about "what
    > companies" and "what commercial use" were blocked. When I PMd the site
    > admins asking them privately for that information, they banned my
    > account and IP address...
    >
    > They clearly don't want anyone to know what they're up to... read all
    > the great information there by all means, but DON'T give them your
    > images if you value them.

    Let's see the agreement:

    ukexpert user agreement

    Registration to this system is free of charge! We do insist that you
    abide by the rules and policies contained in this user agreement. If
    you agree to the terms, please click on the Agree box at the end of the
    page, and then click on Register. Please do not skip reading this user
    agreement, it is very short, and very important.

    Members must be aged 18 or over and by clicking Agree you declare that
    you are over the age of 18.

    The system will ask you for an email address, to be accepted this must
    be an address that is not with one of the anonymous email address
    providers, such as Hotmail, Lycos, Yahoo, Google Mail, etc. Your
    email address is not normally shown to other members. The email
    address given to you by your Broadband provider is usually the best to
    use and the most likely to be accepted.

    Although the administrators and moderators of ukexpert.co.uk will
    attempt to keep all objectionable material off this system, it is
    impossible for us to review all messages and images. All messages
    express the views of their author. You agree that you take full
    responsibility for all material that you post, and that you will meet
    any costs incurred due to legal actions relating to your use of the
    system, or to material that you upload. ukexpert is based in the UK,
    and UK law applies.

    By clicking the Agree box, you warrant that you will not post any
    messages or photographs that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated,
    hateful, harassing, threatening, or that otherwise violate any laws.
    The operators of ukexpert.co.uk may of course remove any message or
    image or member access at any time for any reason and without
    explanation. They may also of course edit, move, or decide to start,
    continue, or cease to display any uploaded material as they please.

    Please note that ukexpert is building a collection of quality
    photographs in its photos and videos area. If you submit photos to us
    for inclusion in the system/collection then please help ensure they get
    released for viewing by not uploading any poor quality images, nor
    small cut down versions of photos, nor ones with names or other
    information included on them. It is also very helpful to others
    viewing the photos if you complete the description field, so please
    always do. All descriptions and photo names should be in English.
    The system currently accepts photos and videos from new members of up
    to 8,000 KB in file size per photo, that is just under 8MB per photo.

    By submitting images and messages and other material to ukexpert.co.uk
    you warrant that you are the copyright owner and that you grant
    ukexpert.co.uk permanent copyright ownership equal to your own for all
    materials uploaded. This includes a permanent right for ukexpert.co.uk
    and its associated systems and companies to make use of them in any way
    they see fit, including but not limited to use in advertising and
    promotional material. This means you can continue to do as you please
    with your photos and messages and other materials uploaded but by
    adding these items to the ukexpert collection/system you are granting
    ukexpert the right to also do as it pleases with all content submitted
    to the system. You agree that any material uploaded to the system or
    created on it, including but not limited to photographs, messages, and
    user IDs, may be retained as the property of ukexpert.co.uk

    This User Agreement may be updated from time to time and you agree to
    be bound by the current version at all times. To check for the latest
    version log out of the system and then use the Register button to view
    this page. You may of course cease using the system at any time if you
    wish, this does not of course affect material already uploaded. There
    is no user option to delete or remove photographs, messages, ukexpert
    user names, or other material from the system once created or uploaded.
    The system operates on an 'as is' basis and no warranties or
    guarantees of any sort are given or implied.

    After getting all of that out of the way, do enjoy using the system and
    we hope that you make lots of new friends here, and welcome aboard!

    Should you like what you see and wish to donate to the system, either
    as a one off thing or a regular subscription, information on how to do
    so is here. You can also view the donations system at any time using
    the Fun & Info option on the right hand side of the menu at the top of
    every page.

    Okay, agreeing to this doesn't prevent you from still using your photos
    any way you want but it does grant them the right to use them any way
    they like.
    This is like what happened when Yahoo aquired Geocities, the users
    raised a big stink over that and they pulled back on those plans,
    however I don't recall Yahoo making a statement like "This includes a
    permanent right for ukexpert.co.uk and its associated systems and
    companies to make use of them in any way they see fit, including but
    not limited to use in advertising and promotional material."
    The term "associated systems and companies" could mean anything. it
    could mean that they could publish those pics in a magazine advertising
    for their company or their associates company.
    It sounds like they just want to get free photos for their own purposes.
    Israel Rodriguez, Sep 22, 2006
  4. mark_ellis

    mark_ellis Guest

    Yes, it takes them until Para 7 to notify the reader that the own your
    content (how many people read that far down). The other worry is the
    next section which states - they can change these conditions, but
    whatever happens, even if you don't like the changes, they shall keep
    your content... you will not be permitted to delete it!

    The other point is that if you submit anything of too low a quality
    (size), they reject it... they simply will not allow people to post
    anything which isn't likely to be valuable to them and their "related
    companies", which says to me they are only interested in one thing -
    making cash from those who don't read the T&Cs.
    mark_ellis, Sep 25, 2006