Site advertisments using all my CPU.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 14, 2007.

  1. It seems on some sites that they can use all my available CPU
    at times, seriously screwing up my computer, I have to close the
    window to stop it.
    Why are these c*nts stealing my CPU?

    And more to the point how do I stop it.

    Some of the sites which might serve as an example

    http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/NG7?x=27&post=ng7 &code=2fw&y=15

    http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=2856

    And a lot of the tabloid newspapers such as the sun star mirror etc..

    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/

    http://www.mirror.co.uk/

    They don't do it al the time but ofen enough to annoy me.

    What can I do to stop these b*stards????

    Sorry about the underlining. (not my fault obviusly)

    TIA

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 14, 2007

  2. Lord Turkey Cough

    Uncle Grumpy Guest

    On Dec 14, 10:21 am, "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote:

    > Why are these c*nts stealing my CPU?
    >
    > And more to the point how do I stop it.
    >
    > Some of the sites which might serve as an example

    Loaded every site you listed, each in a different tab, no problem.

    It's not them, it's your computer.

    Uncle Grumpy, Dec 14, 2007

  3. Lord Turkey Cough

    peter Guest

    Open Task Manager ..Procesess and see what actually is taking up your
    cycles...It also would help to list some specs of your system.
    peter

    peter, Dec 14, 2007
  4. "Uncle Grumpy" <> wrote in message
    > On Dec 14, 10:21 am, "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Why are these c*nts stealing my CPU?
    >>
    >> And more to the point how do I stop it.
    >>
    >> Some of the sites which might serve as an example

    > Loaded every site you listed, each in a different tab, no problem.

    I do but it is still annoying and soometime they cripple it so it is hard to
    close the tab (if you can find it)

    > It's not them, it's your computer.

    No it is them they are in a word B*STARDS, they know what they are doing to
    my
    computer and do it initentinally.
    I hope they go to hell.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 14, 2007
  5. It's a semperon 3000+ with Radeon exppress 2000 onboard
    graphics ('fairly' new computer).

    I want to stop the problem happening in the first place, I know
    how to stop it, I have done that hundreds of times and I am
    fed up with it.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 14, 2007
  6. Lord Turkey Cough

    TheCroW Guest

    Did visit the sites you mentioned (I have Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Windows XP
    Home SP2 Dutch version) and I have no other CPU load then normal. Not even a
    spike in CPU usage when going to those links.
    I did have serious CPU load troubles though with the previous version of
    Firefox. Don't know which version you have?

    Menno

    TheCroW, Dec 14, 2007
  7. Lord Turkey Cough

    Paul Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > It seems on some sites that they can use all my available CPU
    > at times, seriously screwing up my computer, I have to close the
    > window to stop it.
    > Why are these c*nts stealing my CPU?
    >
    > And more to the point how do I stop it.
    >
    > Some of the sites which might serve as an example
    >
    > http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/NG7?x=27&post=ng7 &code=2fw&y=15
    >
    > http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=2856
    >
    > And a lot of the tabloid newspapers such as the sun star mirror etc..
    >
    > http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/
    >
    > http://www.mirror.co.uk/
    >
    > They don't do it al the time but ofen enough to annoy me.
    >
    > What can I do to stop these b*stards????
    >

    > Sorry about the underlining. (not my fault obviusly)
    >

    > TIA

    One trick I use, is I remove the Adobe Flash plugin from my
    Firefox plugins. That means no Flash adverts can play in
    Firefox. If I really need to review a site that uses
    Flash, I do it in Explorer. I leave the Flash plugin installed
    there.

    In your soccerbase.com example, that loaded my CPU to 25%, due to
    the scrolling things on either side of the page. For the uk.weather.com,
    that registered pretty close to 0% on my computer. (P4 3.1GHz).

    On the mirror.co.uk page, the "Latest News" thing near the top of the
    page, is an animated image. When that bar updates, it uses 25% of
    my CPU. Once the text finishes updating, CPU drops to 0%.

    So you can use my Flash plugin trick, and try again.

    The files I have in my junk directory, are "npswf32.dll" and
    "NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe". I presume they must have been in my
    Firefox plugins directory at one time.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 14, 2007
  8. "TheCroW" <> wrote in message
    > Did visit the sites you mentioned (I have Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Windows XP
    > Home SP2 Dutch version) and I have no other CPU load then normal. Not even
    > a spike in CPU usage when going to those links.
    > I did have serious CPU load troubles though with the previous version of
    > Firefox. Don't know which version you have?

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127
    Firefox/2.0.0.11

    It is intermittant, happens occasionally when I have lots of tabs open
    then one tab becomes problematic and pushes the cpu to 100.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 14, 2007
  9. "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fjug17$n62$...
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >> It seems on some sites that they can use all my available CPU
    >> at times, seriously screwing up my computer, I have to close the
    >> window to stop it.
    >> Why are these c*nts stealing my CPU?
    >>
    >> And more to the point how do I stop it.
    >>
    >> Some of the sites which might serve as an example
    >>
    >> http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/NG7?x=27&post=ng7 &code=2fw&y=15
    >>
    >> http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=2856
    >>
    >> And a lot of the tabloid newspapers such as the sun star mirror etc..
    >>
    >> http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/
    >>
    >> http://www.mirror.co.uk/
    >>
    >> They don't do it al the time but ofen enough to annoy me.
    >>
    >> What can I do to stop these b*stards????
    >>

    >> Sorry about the underlining. (not my fault obviusly)
    >>

    >> TIA

    > One trick I use, is I remove the Adobe Flash plugin from my
    > Firefox plugins. That means no Flash adverts can play in
    > Firefox. If I really need to review a site that uses
    > Flash, I do it in Explorer. I leave the Flash plugin installed
    > there.
    >
    > In your soccerbase.com example, that loaded my CPU to 25%, due to
    > the scrolling things on either side of the page. For the uk.weather.com,
    > that registered pretty close to 0% on my computer. (P4 3.1GHz).

    Yes that Soccorbase uses about 50% CPU, the weather one is intermittant
    it is low now but sometimes it pushes the CPU to 100%, it might depend
    on the advertisment.
    How do i remove the plugins specifically.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 14, 2007
  10. Lord Turkey Cough

    Andy Luddy Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fjug17$n62$...
    >> Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >>> It seems on some sites that they can use all my available CPU
    >>> at times, seriously screwing up my computer, I have to close the
    >>> window to stop it.
    >>> Why are these c*nts stealing my CPU?
    >>>
    >>> And more to the point how do I stop it.
    >>>
    >>> Some of the sites which might serve as an example
    >>>
    >>> http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/NG7?x=27&post=ng7 &code=2fw&y=15
    >>>
    >>> http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=2856
    >>>
    >>> And a lot of the tabloid newspapers such as the sun star mirror etc..
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mirror.co.uk/
    >>>
    >>> They don't do it al the time but ofen enough to annoy me.
    >>>
    >>> What can I do to stop these b*stards????
    >>>

    >>> Sorry about the underlining. (not my fault obviusly)
    >>>

    >>> TIA

    >> One trick I use, is I remove the Adobe Flash plugin from my
    >> Firefox plugins. That means no Flash adverts can play in
    >> Firefox. If I really need to review a site that uses
    >> Flash, I do it in Explorer. I leave the Flash plugin installed
    >> there.
    >>
    >> In your soccerbase.com example, that loaded my CPU to 25%, due to
    >> the scrolling things on either side of the page. For the uk.weather.com,
    >> that registered pretty close to 0% on my computer. (P4 3.1GHz).

    > Yes that Soccorbase uses about 50% CPU, the weather one is intermittant
    > it is low now but sometimes it pushes the CPU to 100%, it might depend
    > on the advertisment.
    > How do i remove the plugins specifically.
    >
    >> On the mirror.co.uk page, the "Latest News" thing near the top of the
    >> page, is an animated image. When that bar updates, it uses 25% of
    >> my CPU. Once the text finishes updating, CPU drops to 0%.
    >>
    >> So you can use my Flash plugin trick, and try again.
    >>
    >> The files I have in my junk directory, are "npswf32.dll" and
    >> "NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe". I presume they must have been in my
    >> Firefox plugins directory at one time.
    >>
    >> Paul

    If it is a Flash animation issue, are you using the Flashblock
    extension? It blocks Flash from running until you click on a "Play"
    button (the traditional right-pointing triangle), which would seem
    easier to do that disabling Flash entirely and using IE when you need to
    see Flash.

    Andy

    Andy Luddy, Dec 14, 2007
  11. Lord Turkey Cough

    Paul Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fjug17$n62$...
    >> Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >>> It seems on some sites that they can use all my available CPU
    >>> at times, seriously screwing up my computer, I have to close the
    >>> window to stop it.
    >>> Why are these c*nts stealing my CPU?
    >>>
    >>> And more to the point how do I stop it.
    >>>
    >>> Some of the sites which might serve as an example
    >>>
    >>> http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/NG7?x=27&post=ng7 &code=2fw&y=15
    >>>
    >>> http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=2856
    >>>
    >>> And a lot of the tabloid newspapers such as the sun star mirror etc..
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mirror.co.uk/
    >>>
    >>> They don't do it al the time but ofen enough to annoy me.
    >>>
    >>> What can I do to stop these b*stards????
    >>>

    >>> Sorry about the underlining. (not my fault obviusly)
    >>>

    >>> TIA

    >> One trick I use, is I remove the Adobe Flash plugin from my
    >> Firefox plugins. That means no Flash adverts can play in
    >> Firefox. If I really need to review a site that uses
    >> Flash, I do it in Explorer. I leave the Flash plugin installed
    >> there.
    >>
    >> In your soccerbase.com example, that loaded my CPU to 25%, due to
    >> the scrolling things on either side of the page. For the uk.weather.com,
    >> that registered pretty close to 0% on my computer. (P4 3.1GHz).

    > Yes that Soccorbase uses about 50% CPU, the weather one is intermittant
    > it is low now but sometimes it pushes the CPU to 100%, it might depend
    > on the advertisment.
    > How do i remove the plugins specifically.
    >
    >> On the mirror.co.uk page, the "Latest News" thing near the top of the
    >> page, is an animated image. When that bar updates, it uses 25% of
    >> my CPU. Once the text finishes updating, CPU drops to 0%.
    >>
    >> So you can use my Flash plugin trick, and try again.
    >>
    >> The files I have in my junk directory, are "npswf32.dll" and
    >> "NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe". I presume they must have been in my
    >> Firefox plugins directory at one time.
    >>
    >> Paul

    Search for a "plugins" folder on your computer. It might be -
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins

    Look for the named files. Move the npswf32.dll file out of
    the plugins, and store it in another folder on your C: drive.
    I moved the NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe, but I don't know if that
    one is as critical or not.

    Note that web pages can be quite flexible. A lot of sites,
    once they discover you don't have Flash installed, they will
    substitute animated GIF images instead. So you won't get relief
    from all forms of advertising.

    To see what plugins are active, go to the place you type
    URLs in Firefox and enter

    about:plugins

    That is how I check that the plugin has been successfully moved.
    You'd have to quit Firefox and start a copy running again,
    then do the "about:plugins" thing, to see that it has been
    removed as an active plugin.

    There is also a tool called "Flashblock", but I haven't tested
    this. What this does, is allow the Flash stuff to download,
    but then the window where the flash would go is blanked out.
    The advantage of this, is the web page code shouldn't substitute
    animated GIFs in place of the Flash (because it thinks you are
    seeing the Flash advertising).

    http://flashblock.mozdev.org/installation1.html

    I'm happy enough with my current solution, because on the most
    annoying sites, the blinking and flashing is more subdued than
    it used to be. But I haven't completely killed the advertising,
    and they can still use animated GIFs if they want.

    As far as I know, if you run the Flash installer again, it will
    install flash on all the browsers it can find. So if that happens,
    I'd have to pull the DLL and whatever else out of the plugins
    folder, yet again.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 14, 2007
  12. "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fjujvt$2ft$...
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:

    >>> One trick I use, is I remove the Adobe Flash plugin from my
    >>> Firefox plugins. That means no Flash adverts can play in
    >>> Firefox. If I really need to review a site that uses
    >>> Flash, I do it in Explorer. I leave the Flash plugin installed
    >>> there.
    >>>
    >>> In your soccerbase.com example, that loaded my CPU to 25%, due to
    >>> the scrolling things on either side of the page. For the uk.weather.com,
    >>> that registered pretty close to 0% on my computer. (P4 3.1GHz).

    >> Yes that Soccorbase uses about 50% CPU, the weather one is intermittant
    >> it is low now but sometimes it pushes the CPU to 100%, it might depend
    >> on the advertisment.
    >> How do i remove the plugins specifically.
    >>
    >>> On the mirror.co.uk page, the "Latest News" thing near the top of the
    >>> page, is an animated image. When that bar updates, it uses 25% of
    >>> my CPU. Once the text finishes updating, CPU drops to 0%.
    >>>
    >>> So you can use my Flash plugin trick, and try again.
    >>>
    >>> The files I have in my junk directory, are "npswf32.dll" and
    >>> "NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe". I presume they must have been in my
    >>> Firefox plugins directory at one time.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    > Search for a "plugins" folder on your computer. It might be -
    > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins
    >
    > Look for the named files. Move the npswf32.dll file out of
    > the plugins, and store it in another folder on your C: drive.
    > I moved the NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe, but I don't know if that
    > one is as critical or not.
    >
    > Note that web pages can be quite flexible. A lot of sites,
    > once they discover you don't have Flash installed, they will
    > substitute animated GIF images instead. So you won't get relief
    > from all forms of advertising.
    >
    > To see what plugins are active, go to the place you type
    > URLs in Firefox and enter
    >
    > about:plugins

    Seems rather comlicated and low level.
    I thouoght it might have a menu todo such things for you.
    I believe Internet Explorer does.

    > That is how I check that the plugin has been successfully moved.
    > You'd have to quit Firefox and start a copy running again,
    > then do the "about:plugins" thing, to see that it has been
    > removed as an active plugin.
    >
    > There is also a tool called "Flashblock", but I haven't tested
    > this. What this does, is allow the Flash stuff to download,
    > but then the window where the flash would go is blanked out.
    > The advantage of this, is the web page code shouldn't substitute
    > animated GIFs in place of the Flash (because it thinks you are
    > seeing the Flash advertising).
    >
    > http://flashblock.mozdev.org/installation1.html
    >
    > I'm happy enough with my current solution, because on the most
    > annoying sites, the blinking and flashing is more subdued than
    > it used to be. But I haven't completely killed the advertising,
    > and they can still use animated GIFs if they want.
    >
    > As far as I know, if you run the Flash installer again, it will
    > install flash on all the browsers it can find. So if that happens,
    > I'd have to pull the DLL and whatever else out of the plugins
    > folder, yet again.

    Yes it seems a bit of a 'chore'.

    Thinking about it is sites which use advertisinig which screw things
    up. However some seem to be OK, for example Utube, I don't
    recall that ever being a problem. However if I do hit a problem
    I know it will be one of the 'usual suspects' sites.

    Anyway I have found something which might help
    http://www.download3k.com/Antivirus-Report-Video-Ads-Blocker.html
    I have not tried it yet though.

    Posible I might have some sort of malware but I have never had anything
    reported
    by AVG

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 14, 2007
  13. "Andy Luddy" <> wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:

    >>> One trick I use, is I remove the Adobe Flash plugin from my
    >>> Firefox plugins. That means no Flash adverts can play in
    >>> Firefox. If I really need to review a site that uses
    >>> Flash, I do it in Explorer. I leave the Flash plugin installed
    >>> there.
    >>>
    >>> In your soccerbase.com example, that loaded my CPU to 25%, due to
    >>> the scrolling things on either side of the page. For the uk.weather.com,
    >>> that registered pretty close to 0% on my computer. (P4 3.1GHz).

    >> Yes that Soccorbase uses about 50% CPU, the weather one is intermittant
    >> it is low now but sometimes it pushes the CPU to 100%, it might depend
    >> on the advertisment.
    >> How do i remove the plugins specifically.
    >>
    >>> On the mirror.co.uk page, the "Latest News" thing near the top of the
    >>> page, is an animated image. When that bar updates, it uses 25% of
    >>> my CPU. Once the text finishes updating, CPU drops to 0%.
    >>>
    >>> So you can use my Flash plugin trick, and try again.
    >>>
    >>> The files I have in my junk directory, are "npswf32.dll" and
    >>> "NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe". I presume they must have been in my
    >>> Firefox plugins directory at one time.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    > If it is a Flash animation issue, are you using the Flashblock extension?
    > It blocks Flash from running until you click on a "Play" button (the
    > traditional right-pointing triangle), which would seem easier to do that
    > disabling Flash entirely and using IE when you need to see Flash.

    Not sure what you are talking about.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 14, 2007
  14. "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in message
    > It seems on some sites that they can use all my available CPU
    > at times, seriously screwing up my computer, I have to close the
    > window to stop it.
    > Why are these c*nts stealing my CPU?
    >
    > And more to the point how do I stop it.
    >
    > Some of the sites which might serve as an example
    >
    > http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/NG7?x=27&post=ng7 &code=2fw&y=15
    >
    > http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=2856
    >
    > And a lot of the tabloid newspapers such as the sun star mirror etc..
    >
    > http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/
    >
    > http://www.mirror.co.uk/
    >
    > They don't do it al the time but ofen enough to annoy me.
    >
    > What can I do to stop these b*stards????
    >

    > Sorry about the underlining. (not my fault obviusly)

    Seems like the easiest soluution in the long run would be to write my
    own browser, plug ins and java and operating system.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 14, 2007
  15. Lord Turkey Cough

    Paul Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:

    > Seems like the easiest soluution in the long run would be to write my
    > own browser, plug ins and java and operating system.

    You can do that. They released the source to Netscape years ago, and
    you could use that as your code base. I've got a copy of the source
    somewhere.

    Something a little simpler, might be to try another browser.
    I haven't looked at Opera for a few years, but if you're bored,
    try this out. Even if this doesn't work properly with every site,
    maybe you'll get some value from it.

    http://www.opera.com/

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 14, 2007
  16. ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.fan.mozilla.]

    On 2007-12-14, Lord Turkey Cough <> wrote:

    > It seems on some sites that they can use all my available CPU
    > at times, seriously screwing up my computer, I have to close the
    > window to stop it.

    Use the NoScript extension to allow only the scripts you need to run.

    http://noscript.net

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Dec 14, 2007
  17. "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fjv1lj$8t0$...
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >

    >> Seems like the easiest soluution in the long run would be to write my
    >> own browser, plug ins and java and operating system.
    >>

    > You can do that. They released the source to Netscape years ago, and
    > you could use that as your code base. I've got a copy of the source
    > somewhere.
    >
    > Something a little simpler, might be to try another browser.
    > I haven't looked at Opera for a few years, but if you're bored,
    > try this out. Even if this doesn't work properly with every site,
    > maybe you'll get some value from it.

    Actually it seems the problem is not so much the browser but the add-ons.
    You would have to make the browser do what the add ons should do.
    But disabling adds would be a good idea, afterall who wants them anyway.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 14, 2007
  18. Lord Turkey Cough

    Uncle Grumpy Guest

    On Dec 14, 4:47 pm, "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote:
    > "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in messagenews:l4y8j.6495$...

    > Seems like the easiest soluution in the long run would be to write my
    > own browser, plug ins and java and operating system.

    If that would get you outta here, I wish you nothing but the best.

    Uncle Grumpy, Dec 15, 2007
  19. "Uncle Grumpy" <> wrote in message
    > On Dec 14, 4:47 pm, "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote:
    >> "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in
    >> messagenews:l4y8j.6495$...

    >> Seems like the easiest soluution in the long run would be to write my
    >> own browser, plug ins and java and operating system.

    > If that would get you outta here, I wish you nothing but the best.

    Grumpy git.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Dec 15, 2007
  20. Lord Turkey Cough

    Dan C Guest

    Uncle Grumpy wrote:
    > On Dec 14, 4:47 pm, "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote:
    >> "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in messagenews:l4y8j.6495$...

    >> Seems like the easiest soluution in the long run would be to write my
    >> own browser, plug ins and java and operating system.

    > If that would get you outta here, I wish you nothing but the best.

    Uncle,
    Sorry, a waste, too subtle.

    Dan C, Dec 15, 2007