Sipura SPA921: Sipgate and SMSListo

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Chris Davies, Jul 7, 2009.

  1. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    I have a colleague who has just purchased a Linksys/Sipura SPA921
    phone. We've got him registered with Sipgate and SMSListo (betamax),
    and the phone now works happily with Sipgate.

    I'd like to persuade the dialplan to route certain calls out via smslist,
    but this particular variant of the Sipura software does not provide
    specific slots for entering additional gateways. I've tried this test
    dialplan, and it works fine on my SPA3102:

    ( [15]0000 S0 | xx. <:mad:sip.smslisto.com:5060;usr=hisuser;pwd=hispass;nat=yes> )

    Unfortunately, even though he has $10 or so credit on his smslisto
    account, it gives him the message "Your account doesn't have enough
    credits to make this call." when he tries it.

    Further, even if we do finally get this working, I don't see where to
    put his registered telephone number in the authentication string, so
    it looks like it's going to be an uphill struggle to get outbound CLID
    presented correctly.

    Any suggestions for either of these problems, please?

    Many thanks,
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jul 7, 2009

  2. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Rob <> wrote:
    > That sounds suspiciously like the message you get from Sipgate .....

    I wondered about this. But given my test dialplan, shouldn't a number
    such as 00441423nnnnnn attempt to route via SMSListo?

    ( [15]0000 S0 | xx. <:mad:sip.smslisto.com:5060;usr=hisuser;pwd=hispass;nat=yes> )

    To confirm my ATA dialed via SMSListo, I also tried a number (such as
    01423nnnnnn) without the leading 00 and got the expected error message
    response from SMSListo (something like "You must start your number with
    two zeros...").

    Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jul 7, 2009

  3. Chris Davies

    Jono Guest

    Rob wrote on 07/07/2009 :
    > ( [15]0000 S0 | xx. <:mad:sip.smslisto.com:5060;usr=hisuser;pwd=hispass;nat=yes>
    > )

    What do the gaps achieve?

    I've never seen the above format for an SPA's dialplan.

    I didn't think you could use "gateway" type dialling on non SPA3x0x
    devices...never tried, mind.
    Jono, Jul 7, 2009
  4. Chris Davies

    Jono Guest

    Chris wrote on :

    > ( [15]0000 S0 | xx. <:mad:sip.smslisto.com:5060;usr=hisuser;pwd=hispass;nat=yes> )

    What do the gaps achieve?

    I've never seen the above format for an SPA's dialplan.

    I didn't think you could use "gateway" type dialling on non SPA3x0x
    devices...never tried, mind.

    It would be worth capturing what the device is actually doing using the
    syslog feature.
    Jono, Jul 7, 2009
  5. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Rob <> wrote:
    > Sorry, I'm not familiar with your device/dialplan, I was just passing a
    > hopefully helpful comment on the recorded message received :)

    It's appreciated, thank you
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jul 8, 2009
  6. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Jono <> wrote:
    > What do the gaps achieve?

    Readability

    > It would be worth capturing what the device is actually doing using the
    > syslog feature.

    We're doing that.

    Further googling suggests that you can't route "x." type patterns
    via an explicit gateway on the SPA921 (although you can on the
    SPA3102). Apparently this is (probably a) fault.

    I've discovered mysipswitch is dead (at least to new subscribers) and
    the replacement requires Silverlight before it'll do anything
    whatsoever. Sigh.

    I'm struggling with pbxes.org right now. Surely it can't be that hard
    to get a device to talk to two SIP providers and feed them the right
    authentication/activation credentials?

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jul 8, 2009
  7. Chris Davies

    Hongtian Guest

    On 7 July, 20:36, Chris Davies <> wrote:
    > I have a colleague who has just purchased a Linksys/Sipura SPA921
    > phone. We've got him registered with Sipgate and SMSListo (betamax),
    > and the phone now works happily with Sipgate.
    >
    > I'd like to persuade the dialplan to route certain calls out via smslist,
    > but this particular variant of the Sipura software does not provide
    > specific slots for entering additional gateways. I've tried this test
    > dialplan, and it works fine on my SPA3102:
    >
    > ( [15]0000 S0 | xx. <:mad:sip.smslisto.com:5060;usr=hisuser;pwd=hispass;nat=yes> )
    >
    > Unfortunately, even though he has $10 or so credit on his smslisto
    > account, it gives him the message "Your account doesn't have enough
    > credits to make this call." when he tries it.
    >
    > Further, even if we do finally get this working, I don't see where to
    > put his registered telephone number in the authentication string, so
    > it looks like it's going to be an uphill struggle to get outbound CLID
    > presented correctly.
    >
    > Any suggestions for either of these problems, please?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Chris

    Hi Chris,

    I would like to suggest you try miniSipServer. MSS is a professional
    IPPBX for windows platform. In this called number analysis table, you
    can configure the route type to different external line according to
    different called prefix. It is very easy.

    You can use external lines features of MSS to register to your voip
    providers, such as sipgate or smslist.

    I suggest you change your voip network to following topology:

    voip_providers <---> miniSipServer <---> SIP phones(SPA921)

    In another way, there is a simple step by step document that maybe can
    benefit you.

    http://www.myvoipapp.com/minisipserver/faq/setup_ippbx_for_small_business_step_by_step/
    Hongtian, Jul 9, 2009
  8. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Hongtian <> wrote:
    > I would like to suggest you try miniSipServer. MSS is a professional
    > IPPBX for windows platform.

    Sorry, the idea of having a proper VoIP phone that then requires a PC
    to do its routing just doesn't cut it for me.

    Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jul 9, 2009
  9. Chris Davies

    Jono Guest

    Chris Davies laid this down on his screen :
    > Hongtian <> wrote:
    >> I would like to suggest you try miniSipServer. MSS is a professional
    >> IPPBX for windows platform.

    > Sorry, the idea of having a proper VoIP phone that then requires a PC
    > to do its routing just doesn't cut it for me.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    ....then why have a single line VoIP phone when you want at least a two
    line phone?
    Jono, Jul 9, 2009
  10. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Jono <> wrote:
    > ...then why have a single line VoIP phone when you want at least a two
    > line phone?

    Where did I say I wanted a two line phone?

    I want the ability to register with one SIP provider (sipgate) so that the
    phone can accept inbound calls, and the ability to route outbound calls
    via another provider (smslisto) so that I can get cheaper call costs. My
    SPA3102 does this. It appears that the SPA921 can't get it right.

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jul 9, 2009
  11. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Jono <> wrote:
    > You want to use one line for incoming and one line for outgoing calls.
    > Two lines.

    No I don't. I want to accept inbound calls from one VoIP provider and
    to be able to make outbound calls via another VoIP provider.

    However, no matter which way it's described, the bottom line is that
    the various flakey sources of documentation appear to suggest this may
    be possible, but in practice it probably isn't. At least on this version
    of the Sipura software.

    Unless anyone can definitely say otherwise.

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jul 10, 2009
  12. Chris Davies

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Chris Davies <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    :
    : No I don't. I want to accept inbound calls from one VoIP provider and
    : to be able to make outbound calls via another VoIP provider.

    Which, with the device you have, would appear to require two "lines" with
    each provider set up on a separate one.

    : However, no matter which way it's described, the bottom line is that
    : the various flakey sources of documentation appear to suggest this may
    : be possible, but in practice it probably isn't. At least on this
    : version of the Sipura software.
    :
    : Unless anyone can definitely say otherwise.

    I can't say for sure as I don't know the device, but the advice you have
    been given so far would suggest this.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jul 10, 2009
  13. Chris Davies

    alexd Guest

    Chris Davies wrote:

    > Jono <> wrote:
    >> You want to use one line for incoming and one line for outgoing calls.
    >> Two lines.

    > No I don't. I want to accept inbound calls from one VoIP provider and
    > to be able to make outbound calls via another VoIP provider.

    AKA a two line phone.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:14:14 up 65 days, 7:14, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.14, 0.12
    alexd, Jul 10, 2009
  14. Chris Davies

    Graham. Guest

    >>> ...then why have a single line VoIP phone when you want at least a two
    >>> line phone?

    >> Where did I say I wanted a two line phone?
    >>

    > Erm, below:
    >
    >> I want the ability to register with one SIP provider (sipgate) so that
    >> the
    >> phone can accept inbound calls (Line One), and the ability to route
    >> outbound calls via another provider (smslisto) (Line Two) (T so that I
    >> can get cheaper call costs. My SPA3102 does this. It appears that the
    >> SPA921 can't get it right.

    > The phone is doing what the spec says it does.
    >
    > You want to use one line for incoming and one line for outgoing calls. Two
    > lines.
    >
    > Linksys do do models above the Single line phone you have that are capable
    > of achieving what you want.
    >
    > You could, if you want, pay a provider, such as Gradwell to provide you
    > with a PSTN number which you could forward to your SMSListo sip address;
    > then set up your Single line phone to register with SMSListo. Job done.

    Or do that for free using Sipgate lines, and pbxes to forward incoming
    calls to the smslisto URI (which is precisely what I do)

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jul 11, 2009
  15. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Graham. <> wrote:
    > Or do that for free using Sipgate lines, and pbxes to forward incoming
    > calls to the smslisto URI (which is precisely what I do)

    I've been really struggling with pbxes. Can I contact you offlist to
    talk about specific configurations? (My reply-to is valid, and my from
    is mostly safe.)

    Thanks
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jul 11, 2009
  16. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Graham. <> wrote:
    > Or do that for free using Sipgate lines, and pbxes to forward incoming
    > calls to the smslisto URI (which is precisely what I do)

    OK. Here's was Graham explained to me (after a number of emails back
    and forth - thank you!)

    Background

    - Phone can only register to one provider
    - Phone cannot contact other providers directly - even outbound
    - I want to use Sipgate for inbound (geographic number)
    - I want to use SMSListo for outbound (cheap calls)
    - I want to be able to present one of a (small) selection of CLIs
    - I want to be able to use Sipgate's voicemail

    Deliverable

    - Everything above, except the last two items:
    - multiple CLI; the solution provides only for a single CLI
    presentation
    - easy access to Sipgate's voicemail; the solution requires me to
    program a button on my phone to call the Sipgate 020 voicemail
    number and then answer the prompts for my id and password

    Process

    - Register a free account on Sipgate to obtain geographic number
    - Register a free account on pbxes.com
    - Register an account on SMSListo and purchase credit

    - Configure the phone to register with SMSListo, as described at
    http://www.smslisto.com/en/sip.html

    - Configure the phone with a trivial dialplan "xx." to route everything
    out to SMSListo

    - Test outbound by dialing a known number in international format. For
    example 00442070431320 (Ivor's speaking clock line)

    - Configure pbxes.com to register with Sipgate
    TRUNK
    trunk name: [sipgate 7 digit ID]
    user name: [sipgate 7 digit ID]
    password: [password]
    sip server: sipgate.co.uk
    register: yes

    everything else leave default or blank

    - Configure pbxes.com to send inbound calls to SMSListo
    INBOUND ROUTE
    trunk: [Sipgate 7 digit ID]
    set destination: regular hours
    sip uri:
    force regular hours

    everything else leave default or blank

    - Wait a few minutes for the whole system to stablise

    - Test inbound by dialing your Sipgate number from a (real) phone
    line.

    Pbxes.com should show a call record in the "Call Monitor" section;
    otherwise check that it has registered with Sipgate

    If you're really lucky your phone will ring; otherwise double check
    to ensure your phone really has registered with SMSListo

    - Create a useful dialplan for your phone (beyond the scope of this email)

    Thanks again, Graham.
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jul 17, 2009
  17. Chris Davies

    Graham. Guest

    > - Create a useful dialplan for your phone (beyond the scope of this email)

    Here is my PAP2 dial plan with line breaks for readability
    (<01:00441>x.|
    <08:00448>x.|
    <02:00442>x.|
    <03:00443>x.|
    <07:00447>x.|
    <:0044161>[2-9]xxxxxxS0|
    <0161:0044161 >[2-9]xxxxxxS0|
    00x.|
    <11:00447private95>|
    <12:00447private59>|
    <13:00447private67>|
    <14:00447private13>)

    Just the basics really so numbers can be dialled in local, national
    or international format, the same as a Manchester landline.
    Note how the family's mobile numbers can be speed-dialled
    with 11-14

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jul 17, 2009
  18. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Graham. <> wrote:
    > Here is my PAP2 dial plan with line breaks for readability

    Thanks for that. I was intending to separate the process of configuring
    a Sipura type dialplan from the process of getting one's phone connected
    to Sipgate and SMSListo.

    However, for the record, here's what I provided my colleague (who's based
    in USA but is working as part of our UK group). It allows US NANP dialing
    as well as UK dialing, with international numbers being accessed via 00
    (rather than 011):

    (
    < 50000 : 00442070437777 > S0 Sipgate voicemail (-ish)
    < 123 : 00442070431320 > S0 What's the time, Mr Wolf?
    < : 0044113### > #xxx Head Office DDI
    < : 0044113 > [23]xxxxxx Default to Leeds area code
    00[1-9]xxxxxxxxxx. International
    < : 00 > 1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx US (NANP)
    < : 001 > [2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx US (domestic)
    0< : 044 > [1-8][0-9]xxxxxxxx S0 UK national and non-geo
    0< : 044 > 1[2-9]xxxxxxx UK short national
    0< : 044 > [58]xxxxxxx. UK special
    )

    My own is somewhat more complex, so I've not posted it here, as my SPA3102
    allows routing via multiple providers (and therefore implicitly supports
    multiple outbound CLI presentations)

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Jul 17, 2009