    If I were to import one from the US - would I have any problems besides
    the power supply?
    , May 20, 2005

  2. Bob L Guest

    On 20 May 2005 02:06:26 -0700, "" <>
    wrote:

    >Any reason why this unit numerically costs the same in pounds as it
    >does in dollars? Another case of Rip-off Britain?
    >
    >If I were to import one from the US - would I have any problems besides
    >the power supply?

    Price ?
    cost of unit + duty + carriage + courier handling costs - then vat on
    top of the lot could well be close to the UK normal price.

    You may be lucky with the power supply if it is a switched mode one as
    many will work from 90volts to 230volts, if not that will be another
    expense for you..
    Bob L, May 20, 2005

  3. Ivor Jones Guest

    wrote:
    > Any reason why this unit numerically costs the same in pounds as it
    > does in dollars? Another case of Rip-off Britain?
    >
    > If I were to import one from the US - would I have any problems
    > besides the power supply?

    Can't see why you would. I imported my SPA-2000 from the US and apart from
    the PSU having a US plug it works fine. A shaver adaptor fixed that..!

    Don't forget Customs & Excise will probably rip you off for import duty
    and VAT.....

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 20, 2005
  4. digit Guest

    "" <> wrote in

    > Any reason why this unit numerically costs the same in pounds as it
    > does in dollars? Another case of Rip-off Britain?
    >
    > If I were to import one from the US - would I have any problems besides
    > the power supply?

    This happens everytime a company uses a distributer. My guess is that in
    the long run SIPURA will lose out as the far east is up and running at this
    product NOW..
    digit, May 21, 2005
  5. Re: Sipura SPA3000 in UK

    My SPA3k came with a switched-mode PSU with snap-on adapters available
    to fit in different country's sockets, some of the US vendors have the
    UK ones. Or like you suggest, a shaver adaptor would do the trick.

    VAT and duty isn't too bad, the real rip off is the carrier's brokerage
    charges, usually in the order of a tenner.

    My spa3k has quite a lot of background noise on the FXS port, if I'd
    ordered it from the UK I would have returned it for an exchange, but to
    do that to the US is so much of a pain that I've not bothered...
    Stuart Henderson, May 23, 2005
  6. Guest

    Re: Sipura SPA3000 in UK

    The prices I mentioned were all ex vat (and US sales tax). Duty is
    negligible really.

    This is still no excuse for rip-off pricing. I'll just buy different
    product, or import one.
    , May 23, 2005
  7. Guest

    , May 23, 2005