Sipura low ring voltage problem ...

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Giasone, May 1, 2004.

  1. Giasone

    Giasone Guest

    I am having trouble with my Sipura SPA-2000 (through BroadVoice). I am
    fairly sure that the problem is related to low ring voltage.

    I have had several problems related to caller ID. I cannot get caller ID to
    show up on my InTeleScreener device and I have trouble with call-waiting
    caller ID on some older Uniden 900Mhz phones (DXI 386-2).

    I am unable to experiment with the Sipura because the regional settings are
    locked by BroadVoice.

    Today, I bought a voltage meter so that I could check actual ring voltage. I
    still have my SBC POTS line as well as the BroadVoice sipura to compare.

    Sure enough, the SBC POTS line consistently provided an AC ring voltage of
    84-85 volts.

    Running the same test, the Sipura only provided a maximum ring voltage of
    44-45 volts even though the configuration says that it should be set to 70
    volts with a range of 60-90 volts.

    I was very careful with my measurements and used a .1 microfarad capacitor
    to filter out DC when measuring AC ring voltage.

    Based on these findings, I have to assume that the Sipura is probably
    defective, or that it needs a firmware update.

    Has anybody else run into a similar problem? Is the unit defective and
    should I ask for a replacement, or is this common across all Sipuras?

    Other than this issue, the Sipura has worked extremely well. I currently
    have BroadVoice as well as FWD on line 2 running.
    Giasone, May 1, 2004