    the handset gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve things ?

    TIA

    JP

    John P, Oct 27, 2006

  2. John P

    Telephoneman Guest

    "John P" <> wrote in message
    news:45423845$0$1380$...
    >I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous people we
    >speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased the handset
    >gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve things ?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > JP

    If it's of any help I had the same problem with a couple of Sipura 841s,
    which were US spec. After I downloaded the latest UK firmware (I think I got
    it from the voiptalk site?) they were fine.

    Liam

    Telephoneman, Oct 31, 2006

  3. John P

    Tim Bray Guest

    John P wrote:
    > I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous people
    > we speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased the
    > handset gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve things ?

    Possibly turning down the ear piece volume.

    The echo canceller may well be at work, lowering the microphone gain.

    Basically, if what comes out of the ear piece is going back into the
    microphone, then the echo canceller is going to be doing work.

    Also, which codec are you using? Use G.711a. If you are using G.729
    or G.723, then many listeners will perceive the received audio to be
    quiet.

    It isn't because it is quiet, just because they can't hear properly and
    so describe it as quiet.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Nov 4, 2006
  4. John P

    John P Guest

    Telephoneman wrote:
    > "John P" <> wrote in message
    >> I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous people we
    >> speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased the handset
    >> gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve things ?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> JP

    > If it's of any help I had the same problem with a couple of Sipura 841s,
    > which were US spec. After I downloaded the latest UK firmware (I think I got
    > it from the voiptalk site?) they were fine.

    Thanks - I will have a look at that.

    John P, Nov 5, 2006
  5. John P

    John P Guest

    Tim Bray wrote:
    > John P wrote:
    >> I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous
    >> people we speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased
    >> the handset gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve
    >> things ?

    > Possibly turning down the ear piece volume.
    >

    > The echo canceller may well be at work, lowering the microphone gain.
    >

    > Basically, if what comes out of the ear piece is going back into the
    > microphone, then the echo canceller is going to be doing work.
    >
    > Also, which codec are you using? Use G.711a. If you are using G.729
    > or G.723, then many listeners will perceive the received audio to be quiet.
    >
    > It isn't because it is quiet, just because they can't hear properly and
    > so describe it as quiet.

    Using G711u - should I change that to G711a ?

    John P, Nov 5, 2006
  6. John P

    Tim Guest

    John P wrote:

    > Using G711u - should I change that to G711a ?

    Yes.

    Tim

    Tim, Nov 14, 2006