Sipura 2000 behind Draytek 2900VG

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by John Geddes, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. John Geddes

    John Geddes Guest

    I am trying to set up 4 VOIP numbers for Sipgate - two using the VOIP
    ports on a Draytek 2900VG router, and two ports on aSipura-2000 behind
    the router.

    The VOIP ports on the Draytek router work fine.

    The Sipura is more fussy.

    I CAN make the Sipura work, but (so far) only if :

    - I set its address as the DMZ for the router (and that means that the
    VOIP ports on the router stop working). I hope that I can set up
    individual Port Forwarding to avoid use of DMZ setting but haven't got
    that far yet

    - But (crucially) I also have to set the Sipura to use DHCP addressing
    on my LAN. It will not offer dialtone if I use a fixed IP address.

    DHCP is fine for testing, but no good long-term, as I need to tell the
    router which IP address to use for DMZ/port forwarding, but using DHCP I
    cannot be sure that the Sipura would be allocated the same address again
    after a power failure - it would presumably depend upon the sequence in
    which the various devices rebooted.

    Looking at the Sipura documentation, I cannot see any help on this one.
    Surely most people must be using their Sipura-2000 behind a router, so
    wouldn't they want to set a fixed local IP address?

    Have I got a dud specimen that cannot cope with fixed IP, or is there
    some other setting I need to check?

    John Geddes
    England

    John Geddes, Mar 4, 2005

  2. John Geddes

    Ivor Jones Guest

    John Geddes wrote:
    > I am trying to set up 4 VOIP numbers for Sipgate - two using the
    > VOIP ports on a Draytek 2900VG router, and two ports on
    > aSipura-2000 behind the router.
    >
    > The VOIP ports on the Draytek router work fine.
    >

    > The Sipura is more fussy.
    >
    > I CAN make the Sipura work, but (so far) only if :
    >
    > - I set its address as the DMZ for the router (and that means that
    > the VOIP ports on the router stop working). I hope that I can set up
    > individual Port Forwarding to avoid use of DMZ setting but haven't
    > got that far yet
    >
    > - But (crucially) I also have to set the Sipura to use DHCP
    > addressing on my LAN. It will not offer dialtone if I use a fixed
    > IP address.
    > DHCP is fine for testing, but no good long-term, as I need to tell
    > the router which IP address to use for DMZ/port forwarding, but
    > using DHCP I cannot be sure that the Sipura would be allocated the
    > same address again after a power failure - it would presumably
    > depend upon the sequence in which the various devices rebooted.
    >

    > Looking at the Sipura documentation, I cannot see any help on this
    > one. Surely most people must be using their Sipura-2000 behind a
    > router, so wouldn't they want to set a fixed local IP address?
    >

    > Have I got a dud specimen that cannot cope with fixed IP, or is
    > there some other setting I need to check?
    >
    > John Geddes
    > England

    I can't help with the Draytek router, but my Sipura works fine behind my
    Netgear DM602 modem/router. I initially tried giving it a fixed IP but it
    didn't work so I set it to use DHCP and it works fine, it's been rebooted
    several times but always takes the same IP address.

    BTW there are known compatibility issues on Sipgate with *some* Draytek
    routers and *some* ATA's, it may be worth an email to Sipgate tech
    support.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 5, 2005

  3. John Geddes

    Roger Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > John Geddes wrote:
    >> I am trying to set up 4 VOIP numbers for Sipgate - two using the
    >> VOIP ports on a Draytek 2900VG router, and two ports on
    >> aSipura-2000 behind the router.
    >>
    >> The VOIP ports on the Draytek router work fine.
    >>

    >> The Sipura is more fussy.
    >>
    >> I CAN make the Sipura work, but (so far) only if :
    >>
    >> - I set its address as the DMZ for the router (and that means that
    >> the VOIP ports on the router stop working). I hope that I can set up
    >> individual Port Forwarding to avoid use of DMZ setting but haven't
    >> got that far yet
    >>
    >> - But (crucially) I also have to set the Sipura to use DHCP
    >> addressing on my LAN. It will not offer dialtone if I use a fixed
    >> IP address.
    >> DHCP is fine for testing, but no good long-term, as I need to tell
    >> the router which IP address to use for DMZ/port forwarding, but
    >> using DHCP I cannot be sure that the Sipura would be allocated the
    >> same address again after a power failure - it would presumably
    >> depend upon the sequence in which the various devices rebooted.
    >>

    >> Looking at the Sipura documentation, I cannot see any help on this
    >> one. Surely most people must be using their Sipura-2000 behind a
    >> router, so wouldn't they want to set a fixed local IP address?
    >>

    >> Have I got a dud specimen that cannot cope with fixed IP, or is
    >> there some other setting I need to check?
    >>
    >> John Geddes
    >> England

    > I can't help with the Draytek router, but my Sipura works fine behind my
    > Netgear DM602 modem/router. I initially tried giving it a fixed IP but it
    > didn't work so I set it to use DHCP and it works fine, it's been rebooted
    > several times but always takes the same IP address.
    >
    > BTW there are known compatibility issues on Sipgate with *some* Draytek
    > routers and *some* ATA's, it may be worth an email to Sipgate tech
    > support.
    >
    > Ivor

    John
    I've got mine behind a USR router with a fixed IP address and it works fine.
    I dont have to forward ports either. If you have a UPnP option on the
    draytek make sure its enabled and that should save you having to forward
    anything.

    Apologies for the stupid question but when you turn DHCP off in the sipura
    you are setting the gateway and DNS addresses on the same page arent you?
    Roger.

    Roger, Mar 5, 2005
  4. John Geddes

    Mike Guest

    "John Geddes" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to set up 4 VOIP numbers for Sipgate - two using the VOIP ports
    >on a Draytek 2900VG router, and two ports on aSipura-2000 behind the
    >router.
    >
    > The VOIP ports on the Draytek router work fine.
    >

    > The Sipura is more fussy.
    >
    > I CAN make the Sipura work, but (so far) only if :
    >
    > - I set its address as the DMZ for the router (and that means that the
    > VOIP ports on the router stop working). I hope that I can set up
    > individual Port Forwarding to avoid use of DMZ setting but haven't got
    > that far yet
    >
    > - But (crucially) I also have to set the Sipura to use DHCP addressing on
    > my LAN. It will not offer dialtone if I use a fixed IP address.
    >
    > DHCP is fine for testing, but no good long-term, as I need to tell the
    > router which IP address to use for DMZ/port forwarding, but using DHCP I
    > cannot be sure that the Sipura would be allocated the same address again
    > after a power failure - it would presumably depend upon the sequence in
    > which the various devices rebooted.
    >

    > Looking at the Sipura documentation, I cannot see any help on this one.
    > Surely most people must be using their Sipura-2000 behind a router, so
    > wouldn't they want to set a fixed local IP address?
    >

    > Have I got a dud specimen that cannot cope with fixed IP, or is there some
    > other setting I need to check?
    >
    > John Geddes
    > England

    I also have a Sipura 2000 behind a Draytek, (2600plus). I agree that its
    behaviour in not registering when in static IP mode is bizarre! I have
    found that it even "plays dead" in being inaccessible to browser or voice
    menu if you do give it a fixed IP.

    There is a jumper on the board, does anyone know what it does?

    Mike Hill

    Mike, Mar 5, 2005
  5. John Geddes

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > "John Geddes" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    >> Have I got a dud specimen that cannot cope with fixed IP, or is
    >> there some other setting I need to check?

    > I also have a Sipura 2000 behind a Draytek, (2600plus). I agree
    > that its behaviour in not registering when in static IP mode is
    > bizarre! I have found that it even "plays dead" in being
    > inaccessible to browser or voice menu if you do give it a fixed IP.
    >
    > There is a jumper on the board, does anyone know what it does?
    >
    > Mike Hill

    Interesting to know I'm not the only one who can't get a fixed IP to work
    in the SPA-2000. However in my own personal experience it hasn't been a
    problem as every time I've rebooted things it has always kept the same
    address.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 5, 2005
  6. John Geddes

    Roger Guest

    Roger, Mar 5, 2005
  7. John Geddes

    wkearney99 Guest

    > Interesting to know I'm not the only one who can't get a fixed IP to work
    > in the SPA-2000. However in my own personal experience it hasn't been a
    > problem as every time I've rebooted things it has always kept the same
    > address.

    The only time I've seen something like this is was due to the device not
    setting all the needed values. A device often needs not only the IP address
    but also the netmask and the gateway address. DHCP automagically hands
    these values (and sometimes a few more) whereas they'd have to manually set
    for a static address. Is it a matter of the menus in the Sipura lacking the
    setup choices to even configure these values?

    wkearney99, Mar 5, 2005
  8. John Geddes

    Mike Guest

    "Roger" <> wrote in message

    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> John Geddes wrote:
    >>> I am trying to set up 4 VOIP numbers for Sipgate - two using the
    >>> VOIP ports on a Draytek 2900VG router, and two ports on
    >>> aSipura-2000 behind the router.
    >>>
    >>> The VOIP ports on the Draytek router work fine.
    >>>

    >>> The Sipura is more fussy.
    >>>
    >>> I CAN make the Sipura work, but (so far) only if :
    >>>
    >>> - I set its address as the DMZ for the router (and that means that
    >>> the VOIP ports on the router stop working). I hope that I can set up
    >>> individual Port Forwarding to avoid use of DMZ setting but haven't
    >>> got that far yet
    >>>
    >>> - But (crucially) I also have to set the Sipura to use DHCP
    >>> addressing on my LAN. It will not offer dialtone if I use a fixed
    >>> IP address.
    >>> DHCP is fine for testing, but no good long-term, as I need to tell
    >>> the router which IP address to use for DMZ/port forwarding, but
    >>> using DHCP I cannot be sure that the Sipura would be allocated the
    >>> same address again after a power failure - it would presumably
    >>> depend upon the sequence in which the various devices rebooted.
    >>>

    >>> Looking at the Sipura documentation, I cannot see any help on this
    >>> one. Surely most people must be using their Sipura-2000 behind a
    >>> router, so wouldn't they want to set a fixed local IP address?
    >>>

    >>> Have I got a dud specimen that cannot cope with fixed IP, or is
    >>> there some other setting I need to check?
    >>>
    >>> John Geddes
    >>> England

    >> I can't help with the Draytek router, but my Sipura works fine behind my
    >> Netgear DM602 modem/router. I initially tried giving it a fixed IP but it
    >> didn't work so I set it to use DHCP and it works fine, it's been rebooted
    >> several times but always takes the same IP address.
    >>
    >> BTW there are known compatibility issues on Sipgate with *some* Draytek
    >> routers and *some* ATA's, it may be worth an email to Sipgate tech
    >> support.
    >>
    >> Ivor
    >>

    > John
    > I've got mine behind a USR router with a fixed IP address and it works
    > fine.
    > I dont have to forward ports either. If you have a UPnP option on the
    > draytek make sure its enabled and that should save you having to forward
    > anything.
    >
    > Apologies for the stupid question but when you turn DHCP off in the sipura
    > you are setting the gateway and DNS addresses on the same page arent you?
    > Roger.

    Aaaah, yes. I had turned off DHCP with the voice menu and not looked at
    the gateway and DNS addresses. With these appropriately set it does indeed
    work with a static IP!

    Mike.

    Mike, Mar 5, 2005
  9. John Geddes

    Ian Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message news:<42299421$0$8742$>...
    > "John Geddes" <> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to set up 4 VOIP numbers for Sipgate - two using the VOIP ports
    > >on a Draytek 2900VG router, and two ports on aSipura-2000 behind the
    > >router.
    > >
    > > The VOIP ports on the Draytek router work fine.
    > >

    > > The Sipura is more fussy.
    > >
    > > I CAN make the Sipura work, but (so far) only if :
    > >
    > > - I set its address as the DMZ for the router (and that means that the
    > > VOIP ports on the router stop working). I hope that I can set up
    > > individual Port Forwarding to avoid use of DMZ setting but haven't got
    > > that far yet
    > >

    > > - But (crucially) I also have to set the Sipura to use DHCP addressing on
    > > my LAN. It will not offer dialtone if I use a fixed IP address.
    > >
    > > DHCP is fine for testing, but no good long-term, as I need to tell the
    > > router which IP address to use for DMZ/port forwarding, but using DHCP I
    > > cannot be sure that the Sipura would be allocated the same address again
    > > after a power failure - it would presumably depend upon the sequence in
    > > which the various devices rebooted.
    > >

    > > Looking at the Sipura documentation, I cannot see any help on this one.
    > > Surely most people must be using their Sipura-2000 behind a router, so
    > > wouldn't they want to set a fixed local IP address?
    > >

    > > Have I got a dud specimen that cannot cope with fixed IP, or is there some
    > > other setting I need to check?
    > >
    > > John Geddes
    > > England

    > I also have a Sipura 2000 behind a Draytek, (2600plus). I agree that its
    > behaviour in not registering when in static IP mode is bizarre! I have
    > found that it even "plays dead" in being inaccessible to browser or voice
    > menu if you do give it a fixed IP.
    >
    > There is a jumper on the board, does anyone know what it does?
    >
    > Mike Hill

    Hi

    When you turned off the DHCP, You did assign it a valid gateway and
    DNS server ddnt you? The only time I have seen this is when users turn
    off DHCP using the IVR as the quickstart guide doesnt mention the DNS
    server address setting which is 161 followed by the dns server
    address..

    Sort of classic problem realy. Shame they dont update the guides a bit
    more

    Ian

    Ian, Mar 5, 2005
  10. John Geddes

    Guest

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:23:34 +0000, John Geddes <>
    wrote:

    >I am trying to set up 4 VOIP numbers for Sipgate - two using the VOIP
    >ports on a Draytek 2900VG router,
    >The VOIP ports on the Draytek router work fine.

    I would be interested to know about your results with the Drayteks ports.

    What service(s) are you using the Drayteks ports with? FWD?

    Are or have you used one or both of the ports between 2 draytek units to create
    your own private line? Results?

    , Mar 6, 2005