    procedure is for configuring it. Can I just plug in an analog phone,
    pick it up, and punch some numbers in?

    , Jul 1, 2006

  2. Pat Coghlan Guest

    It needs a SIP server to talk to. You'll either need to find a service
    provider that lets you bring your own device (BYOD), e.g. Zingotel, or
    hook up with a service like Skype.

    The Sipura has a web interface (I think at 192.168.10.1) and understands
    tone commands from the telephone.

    Pat Coghlan, Jul 1, 2006

  3. "Pat Coghlan" <> wrote in message
    > It needs a SIP server to talk to. You'll either need to find a service
    > provider that lets you bring your own device (BYOD), e.g. Zingotel, or
    > hook up with a service like Skype.
    >
    > The Sipura has a web interface (I think at 192.168.10.1) and understands
    > tone commands from the telephone.
    > wrote:
    >> I just bought a Sipura 1000 off eBay, and I'm wondering what the
    >> procedure is for configuring it. Can I just plug in an analog phone,
    >> pick it up, and punch some numbers in?

    Skype doesn't use SIP. However, there are tons of other providers, both paid
    and free (with the latter you generally can't place calls to the PSTN, i.e.
    to normal telephones: this is called "PSTN termination" service). Check
    these out out:

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Finarea SA
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/VOIP Service Providers Residential

    As free service, I like:

    http://www.freeworlddialup.com/
    http://www.voxalot.com/action/home

    As guide to configuring the SPA-1000 (in the hope that the device you bought
    is not locked to a specific provider) you may read the manual "ATA User
    Guide (SPA-1000/1001/2000/2100/3000)" at http://www.sipura.com/support/ .
    Note: it's not for the faint of heart ;-)

    Good luck,

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Jul 1, 2006
  4. Guest

    I don't see anything about 192.168.10.1 in the manual. I'm not sure
    what the IP address of this thing is.

    Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    > "Pat Coghlan" <> wrote in message
    > > It needs a SIP server to talk to. You'll either need to find a service
    > > provider that lets you bring your own device (BYOD), e.g. Zingotel, or
    > > hook up with a service like Skype.
    > >
    > > The Sipura has a web interface (I think at 192.168.10.1) and understands
    > > tone commands from the telephone.
    > > wrote:
    > >> I just bought a Sipura 1000 off eBay, and I'm wondering what the
    > >> procedure is for configuring it. Can I just plug in an analog phone,
    > >> pick it up, and punch some numbers in?
    > >>

    > Skype doesn't use SIP. However, there are tons of other providers, both paid
    > and free (with the latter you generally can't place calls to the PSTN, i.e.
    > to normal telephones: this is called "PSTN termination" service). Check
    > these out out:
    >
    > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Finarea SA
    > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/VOIP Service Providers Residential
    >
    > As free service, I like:
    >
    > http://www.freeworlddialup.com/
    > http://www.voxalot.com/action/home
    >
    > As guide to configuring the SPA-1000 (in the hope that the device you bought
    > is not locked to a specific provider) you may read the manual "ATA User
    > Guide (SPA-1000/1001/2000/2100/3000)" at http://www.sipura.com/support/ .
    > Note: it's not for the faint of heart ;-)
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Enzo

    , Jul 1, 2006
  5. Jono Guest

    wrote:
    || I don't see anything about 192.168.10.1 in the manual. I'm not sure
    || what the IP address of this thing is.
    || Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    ||| "Pat Coghlan" <> wrote in message
    ||| Skype doesn't use SIP. However, there are tons of other providers,
    ||| both paid and free (with the latter you generally can't place calls
    ||| to the PSTN, i.e. to normal telephones: this is called "PSTN
    ||| termination" service). Check these out out:
    ||| http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Finarea SA
    ||| http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/VOIP Service Providers Residential
    ||| As free service, I like:
    ||| http://www.freeworlddialup.com/
    ||| http://www.voxalot.com/action/home
    ||| As guide to configuring the SPA-1000 (in the hope that the device
    ||| you bought is not locked to a specific provider) you may read the
    ||| manual "ATA User Guide (SPA-1000/1001/2000/2100/3000)" at
    ||| http://www.sipura.com/support/ . Note: it's not for the faint of
    ||| heart ;-)
    ||| Good luck,
    ||| Enzo

    Connetc it to your router, plug a phone in, dial ****, then enter 110# &
    listen. The SPA will read back its IP address.

    Jono, Jul 1, 2006
  6. Pat Coghlan Guest

    Plug it into your router type ARP -A in a DOS window. This will show
    you the IP address of the Sipura.

    I have the SPA-2100 which uses 192.168.10.1.

    -Pat

    Pat Coghlan, Jul 1, 2006
  7. Guest

    Thanks for the help.

    I gave the Sipura an IP address and was able to connect to the web
    interface.

    However, when I called the IP of my Sipura from my SJphone softphone
    program,
    it said the phone wasn't there. Any ideas how to make a quick test
    call?

    Pat Coghlan wrote:
    > Plug it into your router type ARP -A in a DOS window. This will show
    > you the IP address of the Sipura.
    >
    > I have the SPA-2100 which uses 192.168.10.1.
    >
    > -Pat
    >
    > wrote:
    > > I don't see anything about 192.168.10.1 in the manual. I'm not sure
    > > what the IP address of this thing is.
    > >
    > > Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Pat Coghlan" <> wrote in message

    > >> Skype doesn't use SIP. However, there are tons of other providers, both paid
    > >> and free (with the latter you generally can't place calls to the PSTN, i.e.
    > >> to normal telephones: this is called "PSTN termination" service). Check
    > >> these out out:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Finarea SA
    > >> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/VOIP Service Providers Residential
    > >>
    > >> As free service, I like:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.freeworlddialup.com/
    > >> http://www.voxalot.com/action/home
    > >>
    > >> As guide to configuring the SPA-1000 (in the hope that the device you bought
    > >> is not locked to a specific provider) you may read the manual "ATA User
    > >> Guide (SPA-1000/1001/2000/2100/3000)" at http://www.sipura.com/support/ .
    > >> Note: it's not for the faint of heart ;-)
    > >>
    > >> Good luck,
    > >>
    > >> Enzo

    , Jul 2, 2006
  8. In order for the Sipura to recognize your telephone/softphone, you must
    create an account for it, and configure the phone accordingly (i.e., with
    the same user/password -- the password is often also called "secret").

    For a beginner, configuring a Sipura device can be a daunting task: I
    suggest you to start with a base configurtion created by the Web Wizard
    available form Voxilla.com (and, possibly, refine it later manually). To do
    that:

    - Go to http://voxilla.com/
    - Create an account for yourself, and log in
    - Go to http://voxilla.com/spaconfig.php
    - Fill in the form to the best of your knowledge, and click on "Configure My
    SPA".

    Cheers --

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Jul 2, 2006
  9. Guest

    I just want to use it without a SIP proxy server right now, so it
    doesn't really make sense to have a user id/password/SIP server name.

    Does it work without a SIP proxy?

    Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    > In order for the Sipura to recognize your telephone/softphone, you must
    > create an account for it, and configure the phone accordingly (i.e., with
    > the same user/password -- the password is often also called "secret").
    >
    > For a beginner, configuring a Sipura device can be a daunting task: I
    > suggest you to start with a base configurtion created by the Web Wizard
    > available form Voxilla.com (and, possibly, refine it later manually). To do
    > that:
    >
    > - Go to http://voxilla.com/
    > - Create an account for yourself, and log in
    > - Go to http://voxilla.com/spaconfig.php
    > - Fill in the form to the best of your knowledge, and click on "Configure My
    > SPA".
    >
    > Cheers --
    >
    > Enzo
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the help.
    > >
    > > I gave the Sipura an IP address and was able to connect to the web
    > > interface.
    > >
    > > However, when I called the IP of my Sipura from my SJphone softphone
    > > program,
    > > it said the phone wasn't there. Any ideas how to make a quick test
    > > call?
    > >

    > > Pat Coghlan wrote:
    > >> Plug it into your router type ARP -A in a DOS window. This will show
    > >> you the IP address of the Sipura.
    > >>
    > >> I have the SPA-2100 which uses 192.168.10.1.
    > >>
    > >> -Pat

    , Jul 2, 2006
  10. Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, you can do that, but things can become
    complicated if SPA and peering softphone lie behind different NAT routers
    (in that case, a common proxy on the open Internet helps also to work around
    such NAT issues). On the other hand, it should be fine if both are on the
    same LAN.

    What you want to achieve is called "direct IP-to-IP call". See e.g.
    http://www.sipura.com/Documents/faq/Section_2.html#3 (it refers to the
    two lins of a SPA-2000, but, as the FAQ says, it may be used for two
    separate SPA -- or a SPA and another SIP client). The important thing
    in your case is to check "Ans Call w/o Reg".

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Jul 3, 2006
  11. Guest

    Thanks, Enzo. It seems to work.

    Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    > Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, you can do that, but things can become
    > complicated if SPA and peering softphone lie behind different NAT routers
    > (in that case, a common proxy on the open Internet helps also to work around
    > such NAT issues). On the other hand, it should be fine if both are on the
    > same LAN.
    >
    > What you want to achieve is called "direct IP-to-IP call". See e.g.
    > http://www.sipura.com/Documents/faq/Section_2.html#3 (it refers to the
    > two lins of a SPA-2000, but, as the FAQ says, it may be used for two
    > separate SPA -- or a SPA and another SIP client). The important thing
    > in your case is to check "Ans Call w/o Reg".
    >
    > Enzo
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > >I just want to use it without a SIP proxy server right now, so it
    > > doesn't really make sense to have a user id/password/SIP server name.
    > >
    > > Does it work without a SIP proxy?
    > >
    > > Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
    > >> In order for the Sipura to recognize your telephone/softphone, you must
    > >> create an account for it, and configure the phone accordingly (i.e., with
    > >> the same user/password -- the password is often also called "secret").
    > >>
    > >> For a beginner, configuring a Sipura device can be a daunting task: I
    > >> suggest you to start with a base configurtion created by the Web Wizard
    > >> available form Voxilla.com (and, possibly, refine it later manually). To
    > >> do
    > >> that:
    > >>
    > >> - Go to http://voxilla.com/
    > >> - Create an account for yourself, and log in
    > >> - Go to http://voxilla.com/spaconfig.php
    > >> - Fill in the form to the best of your knowledge, and click on "Configure
    > >> My
    > >> SPA".
    > >>
    > >> Cheers --
    > >>
    > >> Enzo