    modem ISP services in average has enough bandwidth to USA?? The
    Sipphone claims that it only needs 64K upstream/downstream of
    bandwidth for good sound quality, is this really true?? Thanks!

    T.T., Jan 17, 2004

  2. T.T.

    Linus Surguy Guest

    (T.T.) wrote:
    >Sipphone claims that it only needs 64K upstream/downstream of
    >bandwidth for good sound quality, is this really true?? Thanks!

    That is exactly the same bandwidth that is used by a standard PSTN call across
    the phone network, - so the answer is yes.

    LInus

    www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.8p/1.5p South Africa 8p US, France, Germany Italy 3p
    Looking for VoIP? We will gateway SIP & IAX to and from the PSTN.

    Linus Surguy, Jan 17, 2004

  3. T.T.

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Linus Surguy <> wrote:
    > (T.T.) wrote:
    >> Sipphone claims that it only needs 64K upstream/downstream of
    >> bandwidth for good sound quality, is this really true?? Thanks!

    > That is exactly the same bandwidth that is used by a standard PSTN call
    > across the phone network, - so the answer is yes.

    Though a PSTN phone call has a lot less protocol overhead.

    The question is whether aggressive compression can make up for that.

    miguel
    --
    Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

    Miguel Cruz, Jan 18, 2004
  4. T.T.

    VoIP Guy Guest

    With the overhead, a g711 (64k) actually ends up using around 80K.

    VoIP Guy, Jan 25, 2004
  5. T.T.

    T.T. Guest

    (Linus Surguy) wrote in message news:<40091c70.1028220502@10.0.0.3>...
    > (T.T.) wrote:
    > >Sipphone claims that it only needs 64K upstream/downstream of
    > >bandwidth for good sound quality, is this really true?? Thanks!

    > That is exactly the same bandwidth that is used by a standard PSTN call across
    > the phone network, - so the answer is yes.
    >
    > LInus

    Just to clarify, the 64K upstream/downstream used by standard PSTN,
    are we talking about Kbps or K Bytes/sec??
    I just tried to test the connection speed from San Francisco to Taiwan
    using this site (http://speed.anet.net.tw/), and I'm getting this
    number:

    191 Kbps
    23.4 K Bytes/sec

    Am I OK to use those SIPPhones for free international phone calls over
    Internet between San Francisco and Taiwan?? Many thanks!
    By the way, I'm using SBC/Yahoo DSL broadband services on my
    computer...

    T.T., Feb 5, 2004
  6. T.T.

    Linus Surguy Guest

    (T.T.) wrote:

    > (Linus Surguy) wrote in message news:<40091c70.1028220502@10.0.0.3>...
    >> (T.T.) wrote:
    >> >Sipphone claims that it only needs 64K upstream/downstream of
    >> >bandwidth for good sound quality, is this really true?? Thanks!

    >> That is exactly the same bandwidth that is used by a standard PSTN call across
    >> the phone network, - so the answer is yes.

    >Just to clarify, the 64K upstream/downstream used by standard PSTN,
    >are we talking about Kbps or K Bytes/sec??
    >I just tried to test the connection speed from San Francisco to Taiwan
    >using this site (http://speed.anet.net.tw/), and I'm getting this
    >number:
    >
    >191 Kbps
    >23.4 K Bytes/sec
    >
    >Am I OK to use those SIPPhones for free international phone calls over
    >Internet between San Francisco and Taiwan?? Many thanks!
    >By the way, I'm using SBC/Yahoo DSL broadband services on my
    >computer...

    No problem. In answer to your question 'standard' telephone circuits use 64 K
    bits per second, if you use G.711 code for VoIP, the protocol overheads tend to
    grow that to 74 K bits per second.

    If you find you havnt got enough due to the international element, use a
    compressed codec such as GSM or G.729a.

    Linus

    www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5p South Africa 8p US, France, Germany Italy 3p
    Looking for VoIP? We will gateway SIP & IAX to and from the PSTN.

    Linus Surguy, Feb 5, 2004
  7. T.T.

    T.T. Guest

    (Linus Surguy) wrote in message news:<40220132.404568488@10.0.0.3>...
    > (T.T.) wrote:
    >
    > > (Linus Surguy) wrote in message news:<40091c70.1028220502@10.0.0.3>...
    > >>
    > >> That is exactly the same bandwidth that is used by a standard PSTN call across
    > >> the phone network, - so the answer is yes.

    > >Just to clarify, the 64K upstream/downstream used by standard PSTN,
    > >are we talking about Kbps or K Bytes/sec??
    > >I just tried to test the connection speed from San Francisco to Taiwan
    > >using this site (http://speed.anet.net.tw/), and I'm getting this
    > >number:
    > >
    > >191 Kbps
    > >23.4 K Bytes/sec
    > >
    > >Am I OK to use those SIPPhones for free international phone calls over
    > >Internet between San Francisco and Taiwan?? Many thanks!
    > >By the way, I'm using SBC/Yahoo DSL broadband services on my
    > >computer...

    > No problem. In answer to your question 'standard' telephone circuits use 64 K
    > bits per second, if you use G.711 code for VoIP, the protocol overheads tend to
    > grow that to 74 K bits per second.
    >
    > If you find you havnt got enough due to the international element, use a
    > compressed codec such as GSM or G.729a.
    >
    > Linus

    Thanks, Linus! :)
    By the way, just to update, the connection speed test from San
    Francisco to Taiwan (Taipei) using my SBC/Yahoo DSL services is:

    304.5 Kbps
    37.3 K Bytes/sec

    By the way, the only SIPPhone services that I know of right now is
    just the http://www.sipphone.com - is there any other companies that
    are doing SIPPhone?? It seems that other companies are also selling
    those SIPPhone adapters that is compatible with the SIPPhone.com
    services, which adapter should I buy?? Also, the compressed codec such
    as GSM or G.729a, are you talking about "software codec" (that require
    a PC) or "hardware codec (embedded inside of the SIPPhone adapter or
    SIPPhone phone)?? Thanks!

    Is there any good book that talk more about this SIP technology??
    Thanks!

    T.T., Feb 6, 2004