sipgate

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Roger Barrett, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. anyone else having problems. I cant call PSTN and if I ring my other sip
    number it rings briefly and diverts straight to voicemail.
    Roger Barrett, Feb 10, 2006

  2. Roger Barrett

    John DH Guest

    "Roger Barrett" <> wrote in message
    news:0i3Hf.39429$...
    > anyone else having problems. I cant call PSTN and if I ring my other sip
    > number it rings briefly and diverts straight to voicemail.

    Just checked mine, rings and rings, ignoring voicemail.
    John DH, Feb 10, 2006

  3. Roger Barrett

    Guest

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:36:12 GMT, "Roger Barrett"
    <> wrote:

    >anyone else having problems. I cant call PSTN and if I ring my other sip
    >number it rings briefly and diverts straight to voicemail.

    Sipgate are well known for providing poor service more so than any
    other voip provider in the UK perhaps even the world and you can bet
    your boots they will all have gone off boozing somewhere at lunchtime
    until Monday morning at the earlest.
    , Feb 10, 2006
  4. Roger Barrett

    Paul Cupis Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:36:12 GMT, "Roger Barrett"
    > <> wrote:
    >>anyone else having problems. I cant call PSTN and if I ring my other sip
    >>number it rings briefly and diverts straight to voicemail.

    > Sipgate are well known for providing poor service more so than any
    > other voip provider in the UK perhaps even the world and you can bet
    > your boots they will all have gone off boozing somewhere at lunchtime
    > until Monday morning at the earlest.

    Roger, meet our resident sipgate-hater: Dexter.
    Paul Cupis, Feb 10, 2006
  5. Roger Barrett

    Guest

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:51:33 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:36:12 GMT, "Roger Barrett"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>anyone else having problems. I cant call PSTN and if I ring my other sip
    >>>number it rings briefly and diverts straight to voicemail.

    >> Sipgate are well known for providing poor service more so than any
    >> other voip provider in the UK perhaps even the world and you can bet
    >> your boots they will all have gone off boozing somewhere at lunchtime
    >> until Monday morning at the earlest.

    >Roger, meet our resident sipgate-hater: Dexter.

    Since when have you been a Sipgate supporter Paul I thought you
    where a fan of a real voip provider " Voipfone"not a third rate one .
    , Feb 10, 2006
  6. Roger Barrett

    Paul Cupis Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:51:33 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    > wrote:
    >>Roger, meet our resident sipgate-hater: Dexter.

    > Since when have you been a Sipgate supporter Paul I thought you
    > where a fan of a real voip provider " Voipfone"not a third rate one .

    I have never professed to be a fan or not of either sipgate or voipfone
    or any other voip provider.

    Not that any of your post actually addresses my previous post.
    Paul Cupis, Feb 10, 2006
  7. Roger Barrett

    Guest

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:24:53 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:51:33 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>Roger, meet our resident sipgate-hater: Dexter.

    >> Since when have you been a Sipgate supporter Paul I thought you
    >> where a fan of a real voip provider " Voipfone"not a third rate one .

    >I have never professed to be a fan or not of either sipgate or voipfone
    >or any other voip provider.

    Must have got you mixed up with someone else then .
    , Feb 10, 2006
  8. Thus spaketh Paul Cupis:
    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:51:33 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Roger, meet our resident sipgate-hater: Dexter.

    >> Since when have you been a Sipgate supporter Paul I thought you
    >> where a fan of a real voip provider " Voipfone"not a third rate one .

    > I have never professed to be a fan or not of either sipgate or
    > voipfone or any other voip provider.
    >
    > Not that any of your post actually addresses my previous post.

    Plus Sipgate is a real VoIP Provider, other than the odd one or two hiccups it
    is and excellent service.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 10, 2006
  9. Roger Barrett

    Paul Guest

    > anyone else having problems. I cant call PSTN and if I ring my other sip
    > number it rings briefly and diverts straight to voicemail.

    I'm happy with Sipgate except for the fact that I have a few problems and
    I've notified them of this. They responded immediately with a supposed
    solution. This didn't work and I've since emailed them 3 times asking for
    further assistance - without any acknowledgement or reply!!!

    Problems are:

    1. Voicemail used to work - now (all of a sudden) doesn't (that is calls are
    not passed on to voicemail when the stated number of seconds ringing has
    elapsed - simply lose the ringing tone and line goes silent). (Looks like a
    fault at their end, especially as voicemail used to work perfectly and I've
    done nothing to the system or setup - it just suddenly ceased to work)!

    2. New SMS service not working - I can't send an SMS via the web site (even
    though the system takes my money) - nothing arrives at the UK mobile
    concerned. (This HAS to be a fault at their end)?

    3. Can't access the voicemail setup menu (to listen to messages or record a
    personal greeting) via my Sipgate phone (50000). Just get the recorded
    message at their end and nothing happen when I press 0 or 1 (for example).
    CAN do this from an ordinary line dialling the 0207 number. They did say to
    change DTMF to 'info' on my Linksys PAP2 ATA but this (surprisingly - as
    it's a standard problem, apparently) has NOT done the trick.

    Can anyone throw any light or offer any suggestions?

    I'm not a professional Sipgate knocker, incidentally - all I want is a
    system which works and they are failing to respond to my requests for help
    after a single unsuccessful attempt!

    Many thanks.

    Paul
    Paul, Feb 10, 2006
  10. Thus spaketh Paul:
    > "Roger Barrett" <> wrote in message
    >> anyone else having problems. I cant call PSTN and if I ring my other
    >> sip number it rings briefly and diverts straight to voicemail.
    >>

    > I'm happy with Sipgate except for the fact that I have a few problems
    > and I've notified them of this. They responded immediately with a
    > supposed solution. This didn't work and I've since emailed them 3
    > times asking for further assistance - without any acknowledgement or
    > reply!!!
    > Problems are:
    >
    > 1. Voicemail used to work - now (all of a sudden) doesn't (that is
    > calls are not passed on to voicemail when the stated number of
    > seconds ringing has elapsed - simply lose the ringing tone and line
    > goes silent). (Looks like a fault at their end, especially as
    > voicemail used to work perfectly and I've done nothing to the system
    > or setup - it just suddenly ceased to work)!
    > 2. New SMS service not working - I can't send an SMS via the web site
    > (even though the system takes my money) - nothing arrives at the UK
    > mobile concerned. (This HAS to be a fault at their end)?
    >
    > 3. Can't access the voicemail setup menu (to listen to messages or
    > record a personal greeting) via my Sipgate phone (50000). Just get
    > the recorded message at their end and nothing happen when I press 0
    > or 1 (for example). CAN do this from an ordinary line dialling the
    > 0207 number. They did say to change DTMF to 'info' on my Linksys PAP2
    > ATA but this (surprisingly - as it's a standard problem, apparently)
    > has NOT done the trick.
    > Can anyone throw any light or offer any suggestions?
    >
    > I'm not a professional Sipgate knocker, incidentally - all I want is a
    > system which works and they are failing to respond to my requests for
    > help after a single unsuccessful attempt!
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Paul

    Setting DTMF Tx Method to Info should do the trick, try setting in the
    regional settings DTMF Playback Length to 1.2 (experiment) and DTMF Playback
    Level to -7.

    --
    For £5 when referred to easyMobile contact me via
    www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 11, 2006
  11. "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote...

    > > 3. Can't access the voicemail setup menu (to listen to messages or
    > > record a personal greeting) via my Sipgate phone (50000). Just get
    > > the recorded message at their end and nothing happen when I press 0
    > > or 1 (for example).

    > Setting DTMF Tx Method to Info should do the trick, try setting in the
    > regional settings DTMF Playback Length to 1.2 (experiment) and DTMF
    > Playback Level to -7.

    Managed to get it working on my Sipura 2002. I'm using the 'Info' setting at
    DTFM Length/Level of 0.15/-10 (was 0.1 and -16 out-of-the-box)

    HTH

    Keith L
    Keith Lawrence, Feb 11, 2006
  12. Roger Barrett

    Paul Guest

    > Thus spaketh Paul:
    >> "Roger Barrett" <> wrote in message
    >>> anyone else having problems. I cant call PSTN and if I ring my other
    >>> sip number it rings briefly and diverts straight to voicemail.
    >>>

    >> I'm happy with Sipgate except for the fact that I have a few problems
    >> and I've notified them of this. They responded immediately with a
    >> supposed solution. This didn't work and I've since emailed them 3
    >> times asking for further assistance - without any acknowledgement or
    >> reply!!!
    >> Problems are:
    >>
    >> 1. Voicemail used to work - now (all of a sudden) doesn't (that is
    >> calls are not passed on to voicemail when the stated number of
    >> seconds ringing has elapsed - simply lose the ringing tone and line
    >> goes silent). (Looks like a fault at their end, especially as
    >> voicemail used to work perfectly and I've done nothing to the system
    >> or setup - it just suddenly ceased to work)!
    >> 2. New SMS service not working - I can't send an SMS via the web site
    >> (even though the system takes my money) - nothing arrives at the UK
    >> mobile concerned. (This HAS to be a fault at their end)?
    >>
    >> 3. Can't access the voicemail setup menu (to listen to messages or
    >> record a personal greeting) via my Sipgate phone (50000). Just get
    >> the recorded message at their end and nothing happen when I press 0
    >> or 1 (for example). CAN do this from an ordinary line dialling the
    >> 0207 number. They did say to change DTMF to 'info' on my Linksys PAP2
    >> ATA but this (surprisingly - as it's a standard problem, apparently)
    >> has NOT done the trick.
    >> Can anyone throw any light or offer any suggestions?
    >>
    >> I'm not a professional Sipgate knocker, incidentally - all I want is a
    >> system which works and they are failing to respond to my requests for
    >> help after a single unsuccessful attempt!
    >>
    >> Many thanks.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Setting DTMF Tx Method to Info should do the trick, try setting in the
    > regional settings DTMF Playback Length to 1.2 (experiment) and DTMF
    > Playback Level to -7.
    >

    > --
    > For £5 when referred to easyMobile contact me via
    > www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk

    Thanks for response. I had already set the DTMF Tx Method to INFO (no
    improvement!). There is no mention of DTMF playback length or Level under
    Regional (or anywhere else for that matter)!!

    What are the AVT and Inband DTMF methods - worth trying?

    Have you any other ideas!? (Grateful if so).

    What do you think about failure of SMS to work and failure of Voicemail to
    cut in? Could it be anything at my end (I don't see how it could be ..
    but)!?

    Regards,

    Paul
    Paul, Feb 11, 2006
  13. Roger Barrett

    Paul Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Thus spaketh Paul:
    >>> "Roger Barrett" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> I'm happy with Sipgate except for the fact that I have a few problems
    >>> and I've notified them of this. They responded immediately with a
    >>> supposed solution. This didn't work and I've since emailed them 3
    >>> times asking for further assistance - without any acknowledgement or
    >>> reply!!!
    >>> Problems are:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Voicemail used to work - now (all of a sudden) doesn't (that is
    >>> calls are not passed on to voicemail when the stated number of
    >>> seconds ringing has elapsed - simply lose the ringing tone and line
    >>> goes silent). (Looks like a fault at their end, especially as
    >>> voicemail used to work perfectly and I've done nothing to the system
    >>> or setup - it just suddenly ceased to work)!
    >>> 2. New SMS service not working - I can't send an SMS via the web site
    >>> (even though the system takes my money) - nothing arrives at the UK
    >>> mobile concerned. (This HAS to be a fault at their end)?
    >>>
    >>> 3. Can't access the voicemail setup menu (to listen to messages or
    >>> record a personal greeting) via my Sipgate phone (50000). Just get
    >>> the recorded message at their end and nothing happen when I press 0
    >>> or 1 (for example). CAN do this from an ordinary line dialling the
    >>> 0207 number. They did say to change DTMF to 'info' on my Linksys PAP2
    >>> ATA but this (surprisingly - as it's a standard problem, apparently)
    >>> has NOT done the trick.
    >>> Can anyone throw any light or offer any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> I'm not a professional Sipgate knocker, incidentally - all I want is a
    >>> system which works and they are failing to respond to my requests for
    >>> help after a single unsuccessful attempt!
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> Setting DTMF Tx Method to Info should do the trick, try setting in the
    >> regional settings DTMF Playback Length to 1.2 (experiment) and DTMF
    >> Playback Level to -7.
    >>

    >> --
    >> For £5 when referred to easyMobile contact me via
    >> www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk
    >>

    > Thanks for response. I had already set the DTMF Tx Method to INFO (no
    > improvement!). There is no mention of DTMF playback length or Level under
    > Regional (or anywhere else for that matter)!!
    >
    > What are the AVT and Inband DTMF methods - worth trying?
    >
    > Have you any other ideas!? (Grateful if so).
    >
    > What do you think about failure of SMS to work and failure of Voicemail to
    > cut in? Could it be anything at my end (I don't see how it could be ..
    > but)!?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Paul

    LATER:
    Sorry - found it (Advanced View)!! I'm a bit slow on the uptake tonight.
    Will try messing with these settings - most grateful.
    Paul, Feb 11, 2006
  14. Roger Barrett

    Tony Jones Guest

    I suppose its only a matter of time before these providers fall over /
    disappear. Neither of them have any uk presence (except maybe 1 or 2
    employees) and sooner or later things will go pear-shaped for them. I
    read recently a spanish provider "disappeared" leaving lots of
    subscribers with disfunctional incoming numbers. Unsurprisingly the
    so-called operator was also a 1 or 2 man band.
    Tony Jones, Feb 11, 2006
  15. "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:36:12 GMT, "Roger Barrett"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>anyone else having problems. I cant call PSTN and if I ring my other sip
    >>>number it rings briefly and diverts straight to voicemail.

    >> Sipgate are well known for providing poor service more so than any
    >> other voip provider in the UK perhaps even the world and you can bet
    >> your boots they will all have gone off boozing somewhere at lunchtime
    >> until Monday morning at the earlest.

    > Roger, meet our resident sipgate-hater: Dexter.

    Dont worry - Im well used to his rants.If I could be bothered I'd try and
    find a better provider especially with the number of dropped calls I get
    these days (which has got much worse in the past month) They fixed this
    problem 5 mins after I posted though.
    Roger Barrett, Feb 11, 2006
  16. Roger Barrett

    alexd Guest

    Tony Jones wrote:

    > I suppose its only a matter of time before these providers fall over /
    > disappear. Neither of them have any uk presence (except maybe 1 or 2
    > employees)

    Why would it matter whether they have any UK presence?

    > and sooner or later things will go pear-shaped for them. I
    > read recently a spanish provider "disappeared" leaving lots of
    > subscribers with disfunctional incoming numbers. Unsurprisingly the
    > so-called operator was also a 1 or 2 man band.

    Perhaps you'd like to inform the group what number of people a VoIP operator
    requires to operate successfully?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    10:22:15 up 16 days, 14:40, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.08
    alexd, Feb 11, 2006
  17. Roger Barrett

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > "Roger Barrett" <> wrote in message
    > > anyone else having problems. I cant call PSTN and if I
    > > ring my other sip number it rings briefly and diverts
    > > straight to voicemail.

    My system failed to register for about 2 minutes yesterday at 1621 to
    1623, according to the log file. It's ok now, have you checked the
    voicemail settings on the website..?

    > I'm happy with Sipgate except for the fact that I have a
    > few problems and I've notified them of this. They
    > responded immediately with a supposed solution. This
    > didn't work and I've since emailed them 3 times asking
    > for further assistance - without any acknowledgement or
    > reply!!!

    Unusual, I will see what I can find out.

    > Problems are:
    >
    > 1. Voicemail used to work - now (all of a sudden) doesn't
    > (that is calls are not passed on to voicemail when the
    > stated number of seconds ringing has elapsed - simply
    > lose the ringing tone and line goes silent). (Looks like
    > a fault at their end, especially as voicemail used to
    > work perfectly and I've done nothing to the system or
    > setup - it just suddenly ceased to work)!

    Just tested it with two of my Sipgate numbers, works fine on both - are
    you calling from Sipgate or PSTN..? Not that it should make a difference,
    just curious.

    > 2. New SMS service not working - I can't send an SMS via
    > the web site (even though the system takes my money) -
    > nothing arrives at the UK mobile concerned. (This HAS to
    > be a fault at their end)?

    This was a problem when the SMS service was first switched on, but AFAIK
    has been ok since. It's worked every time I've tried a test, but I must
    confess since I get 30 free SMS per month from the Orange website plus 5
    free a day from my Orange PAYG phone, I tend not to use services that cost
    me money ;-)

    > 3. Can't access the voicemail setup menu (to listen to
    > messages or record a personal greeting) via my Sipgate
    > phone (50000). Just get the recorded message at their end
    > and nothing happen when I press 0 or 1 (for example). CAN
    > do this from an ordinary line dialling the 0207 number.
    > They did say to change DTMF to 'info' on my Linksys PAP2
    > ATA but this (surprisingly - as it's a standard problem,
    > apparently) has NOT done the trick.

    Hmm, this one is interesting. I have a Sipura 2000 which is functionally
    similar to the PAP2 and setting DTMF to SIP INFO works fine for me.

    > Can anyone throw any light or offer any suggestions?
    >
    > I'm not a professional Sipgate knocker, incidentally -
    > all I want is a system which works and they are failing
    > to respond to my requests for help after a single
    > unsuccessful attempt!

    As I said, I've always had excellent response. Try again, if they don't
    answer this time email me off group and I will see what I can find out.

    ivor at g6urp dot co dot uk works most of the time..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 11, 2006
  18. Roger Barrett

    Guest

    On 11 Feb 2006 01:45:44 -0800, "Tony Jones" <>
    wrote:

    >I suppose its only a matter of time before these providers fall over /
    >disappear. Neither of them have any uk presence (except maybe 1 or 2
    >employees)

    Yes, it is possible that these companies only have a few people
    working for them, and possibly not in the UK. That's how they provide
    a service at low cost.

    Let's compare that with BT, who have loads and loads of employees, and
    don't seem to be able to make a profit out of their ever-decreasing
    share of the telecoms market. They are busy moving themselves into the
    computer systems and services sector to keep in business.

    Which do you think sounds like a more stable long-term bet?
    , Feb 11, 2006
  19. <> wrote:
    > grumble gripe sipgate blah.

    How did you sneak out of my killfile? I see you've not changed any.

    Re-plonk, then.

    --
    An autobiography is an obituary in serial form with the last installment
    missing.
    Peter Corlett, Feb 12, 2006
  20. Roger Barrett

    Guest

    On 12 Feb 2006 20:51:38 GMT, (Peter
    Corlett) wrote:

    ><> wrote:
    >> grumble gripe sipgate blah.

    >How did you sneak out of my killfile? I see you've not changed any.

    No intention of changing if something is good and worthy of praise
    they get it from me same if it is bad they get it from me also only
    difference it isn't praise they get. When Sipgete match the standard
    of service and provide that set by voipfone and quite a few other
    providers then I will shut my gob but not until . I never give up and
    never will give up on a company that walks out on customers on a
    Friday afternoon leaving them without service for almost three days .
    , Feb 12, 2006