  1. Sipgate number unobtainable again this morning when dialling from
    Telewest, T-Mobile & Three. Getting engaged tone or "The number you have
    dialled has not been recognised" :-(
    bacillus cereus, May 18, 2005

  2. bacillus cereus

    Roger Guest

    "bacillus cereus" <> wrote in message
    news:JbBie.34336$...
    > Sipgate number unobtainable again this morning when dialling from
    > Telewest, T-Mobile & Three. Getting engaged tone or "The number you have
    > dialled has not been recognised" :-(

    same from abroad and from BT - getting a bit sick of this
    Roger, May 18, 2005

  3. bacillus cereus

    Roger, May 18, 2005
  4. "Roger" <> wrote in message

    > "bacillus cereus" <> wrote in message
    >> Sipgate number unobtainable again this morning when dialling from
    >> Telewest, T-Mobile & Three. Getting engaged tone or "The number you have
    >> dialled has not been recognised" :-(

    > same from abroad and from BT - getting a bit sick of this

    Working from here (Birmingham) okay on BT & T/W lines.
    Mike Fletcher, May 18, 2005
  5. bacillus cereus

    ^^artnada^^ Guest

    In news:lOCie.34371$,
    Mike Fletcher <> pop his head above the parapit
    and spewed forth:
    || "Roger" <> wrote in message
    ||| "bacillus cereus" <> wrote in message
    ||| same from abroad and from BT - getting a bit sick of this
    || Working from here (Birmingham) okay on BT & T/W lines.

    Fine here - calling to both my sipgate numbers from mobile phone.
    ^^artnada^^, May 18, 2005
  6. bacillus cereus

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "^^artnada^^" <> wrote in message
    > In news:lOCie.34371$,
    > Mike Fletcher <> pop his head above the
    > parapit and spewed forth:
    > || "Roger" <> wrote in message
    > message
    > have
    > || Working from here (Birmingham) okay on BT & T/W lines.
    >
    > Fine here - calling to both my sipgate numbers from mobile phone.

    Ok here too. No known issues at present.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 18, 2005
  7. bacillus cereus

    Roger Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "^^artnada^^" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:lOCie.34371$,
    >> Mike Fletcher <> pop his head above the
    >> parapit and spewed forth:
    >> have
    >>
    >> Fine here - calling to both my sipgate numbers from mobile phone.

    > Ok here too. No known issues at present.
    >
    > Ivor

    Its back here now as well - was definitely a system fault as I was either
    getting number unobtainable or "it is not possible to connect this call" -
    wasnt getting through to voicemail. I've asked them to tell me what they're
    going to do stop this happening again but given the longest its been stable
    is a week has anyone experience of a provider with better reliability?
    Roger, May 18, 2005
  8. bacillus cereus

    Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 06:23:37 GMT, bacillus cereus
    <> wrote:

    >Sipgate number unobtainable again this morning when dialling from
    >Telewest, T-Mobile & Three. Getting engaged tone or "The number you have
    >dialled has not been recognised" :-(

    01.30 today I could dial sip to sip but not into the outside world and
    could not dial into sip from outside all seems fine now but has
    someone else has said I also am getting bloody sick of Sipgate.
    I wonder what excuse they will come up with this time or who they will
    try to blame .
    , May 18, 2005
  9. bacillus cereus

    Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:15:34 +0100, "Roger" <>
    wrote:

    >Its back here now as well - was definitely a system fault as I was either
    >getting number unobtainable or "it is not possible to connect this call" -
    >wasnt getting through to voicemail. I've asked them to tell me what they're
    >going to do stop this happening again but given the longest its been stable
    >is a week has anyone experience of a provider with better reliability?

    I have been with Voipphone nearly the same lenght of time I have been
    with Sipgate and so far there have been no problems it is only Sipgate
    that is mentioned anywhere regarding continual problems .
    It is good people saying Sipgate is free it isn't free at all if you
    want to make a call to a Telewest or BT number you have to pay
    and it is long passed the time when Sipgate should either get it right
    once and for all or called it a day and buggered off back to the
    Fatherland then we would all know where we where at .
    On the other hand no matter what Ivor or anyone else thinks I am more
    or less convinced BT has got something to do with all these problems .
    , May 18, 2005
  10. bacillus cereus

    Ian Guest

    "Roger" <> wrote in message

    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "^^artnada^^" <> wrote in message
    > >> In news:lOCie.34371$,
    > >> Mike Fletcher <> pop his head above the
    > >> parapit and spewed forth:

    message

    you
    > >> have
    > >>
    > >> Fine here - calling to both my sipgate numbers from mobile phone.

    > > Ok here too. No known issues at present.
    > >
    > > Ivor
    > >

    > Its back here now as well - was definitely a system fault as I was either
    > getting number unobtainable or "it is not possible to connect this call" -
    > wasnt getting through to voicemail. I've asked them to tell me what

    they're
    > going to do stop this happening again but given the longest its been

    stable
    > is a week has anyone experience of a provider with better reliability?

    FWIW I have used voiptalk.org for nearly 12 months now for all my incoming
    and outgoing for Business use, about 20 - 30 calls a day. The only faults in
    that time was one gateway outage causing about 30 mins disruption and one
    CLi problem which was fixed in 20 mins.
    The service does cost, But you get what you pay for.

    Ian
    Ian, May 18, 2005
  11. bacillus cereus

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 11:43:42 +0100, wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:15:34 +0100, "Roger" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Its back here now as well - was definitely a system fault as I was either
    >>getting number unobtainable or "it is not possible to connect this call" -
    >>wasnt getting through to voicemail. I've asked them to tell me what they're
    >>going to do stop this happening again but given the longest its been stable
    >>is a week has anyone experience of a provider with better reliability?

    >I have been with Voipphone nearly the same lenght of time I have been
    >with Sipgate and so far there have been no problems it is only Sipgate
    >that is mentioned anywhere regarding continual problems .
    > It is good people saying Sipgate is free it isn't free at all if you
    >want to make a call to a Telewest or BT number you have to pay
    >and it is long passed the time when Sipgate should either get it right
    >once and for all or called it a day and buggered off back to the
    >Fatherland then we would all know where we where at .
    >On the other hand no matter what Ivor or anyone else thinks I am more
    >or less convinced BT has got something to do with all these problems .

    Its difficult to know for sure, but why would BT be obstructing
    Sipgate alone, rather than any of the many other VoIP providers in the
    UK?

    I tend to think it just comes down to poor management of their UK
    network. They are apparently trying to manage everything remotely from
    Germany, and that strategy is not working effectively.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, May 18, 2005
  12. bacillus cereus

    Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:38:25 +0800, Chris Blunt
    <> wrote:

    >Its difficult to know for sure, but why would BT be obstructing
    >Sipgate alone, rather than any of the many other VoIP providers in the
    >UK?

    I have found out since I last posted that other voip providers in the
    UK where effected last night and early today also .
    Even so I still hold Sipgate responsible for the fact that it is they
    who we pay or money to for calls and it is up to Sipgate to jump on
    who is responsible in a very determined way which they do not seem to
    be doing otherwise the problems would not be still occurring .
    , May 18, 2005
  13. Mike Fletcher wrote:
    > "Roger" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"bacillus cereus" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Sipgate number unobtainable again this morning when dialling from
    >>>Telewest, T-Mobile & Three. Getting engaged tone or "The number you have
    >>>dialled has not been recognised" :-(

    >>same from abroad and from BT - getting a bit sick of this
    >>

    > Working from here (Birmingham) okay on BT & T/W lines.

    service came back on around 8.45am
    bacillus cereus, May 18, 2005
  14. On Wed, 18 May 2005 11:00:02 +0100, wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 May 2005 06:23:37 GMT, bacillus cereus
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Sipgate number unobtainable again this morning when dialling from
    >>Telewest, T-Mobile & Three. Getting engaged tone or "The number you have
    >>dialled has not been recognised" :-(

    >01.30 today I could dial sip to sip but not into the outside world and
    >could not dial into sip from outside all seems fine now but has
    >someone else has said I also am getting bloody sick of Sipgate.
    >I wonder what excuse they will come up with this time or who they will
    >try to blame .

    Well, it is a free service...

    If you want a paid for service with support, then companies like mine
    are happy to offer that. We can also port sipgate customer's phone
    numbers into our system so you can keep your number.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, May 19, 2005
  15. bacillus cereus

    Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:57:25 +0100, Peter Gradwell
    <> wrote:

    >If you want a paid for service with support, then companies like mine
    >are happy to offer that. We can also port sipgate customer's phone
    >numbers into our system so you can keep your number.

    If I wanted a paid for service at YOUR prices I would not have thrown
    out my two BT lines and be throwing out my Telewest line in July.
    Please do not try and make out that all free VOIP services are rubbish
    Peter I have one line from Voipphone which I got within a couple of
    weeks of getting the Sipgate service which has never been down so
    far and like Sipgate a free local number and call charges the same has
    Sipgates .
    , May 19, 2005
  16. Peter Gradwell <> wrote:
    [...]
    > If you want a paid for service with support, then companies like
    > mine are happy to offer that. We can also port sipgate customer's
    > phone numbers into our system so you can keep your number.

    Why on earth would somebody sign up for a VoIP service that's even
    more expensive than BT?

    --
    PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger for full key

    Please contribute to the beer fund and a tidier house:
    http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZpndc
    Peter Corlett, May 19, 2005
  17. bacillus cereus

    Guest

    On 19 May 2005 16:23:15 GMT, (Peter
    Corlett) wrote:

    >Peter Gradwell <> wrote:
    >[...]
    >> If you want a paid for service with support, then companies like
    >> mine are happy to offer that. We can also port sipgate customer's
    >> phone numbers into our system so you can keep your number.

    >Why on earth would somebody sign up for a VoIP service that's even
    >more expensive than BT?

    Exactly my point Peter I have noticed before that Gradwell always
    jumps in when he sees anyone posting anything derogatory about a
    competitor in the hope of bagging another customer, reminds me of a
    fox waiting its chance to snatch a hen from the pen .
    , May 19, 2005
  18. bacillus cereus

    Dave Gill Guest

    Peter Corlett <> wrote:

    > Why on earth would somebody sign up for a VoIP service that's even
    > more expensive than BT?

    Forgive me, but how is £4.70/month more expensive than £10.50/month and
    how is 1.5p/min daytime rate more expensive than 3p/min daytime rate?

    Yes I know BT have a 5.5p/hour evening rate, but I don't tend to have
    hour long phone calls (at any time of day).

    Of course there are CPS options for use with BT, but you did say more
    expensive than BT, not more expensive than 18866. ;-)

    Although I must admit, the Gradwell offering would be more attractive
    with an inclusive minutes option...

    Dave Gill, May 19, 2005
  19. Dave Gill <> wrote:
    > Peter Corlett <> wrote:
    >> Why on earth would somebody sign up for a VoIP service that's even
    >> more expensive than BT?

    > Forgive me, but how is £4.70/month more expensive than £10.50/month
    > and how is 1.5p/min daytime rate more expensive than 3p/min daytime
    > rate?

    Obviously you never call mobiles or 08xx then either.

    While those are the prices that Gradwell charge you, you need to
    consider the costs of infrastructure to deliver calls to their switch
    which you have to pay. Anything looks cheap if you miss out half the
    costs :)

    When I last totted it up, the end-user cost of the bandwidth from a BT
    ADSL line to a VoIP provider was in the order of 0.6p/min with a G.711
    codec. If you're not using G.711, you're no longer comparing like with
    like.

    (As an aside, if my maths was correct, I'm not particularly surprised
    that BT has set UBC pricing to be similar to what they charge to carry
    that same data over the PSTN.)

    > Yes I know BT have a 5.5p/hour evening rate, but I don't tend to
    > have hour long phone calls (at any time of day).

    Nor, apparently, do you call mobiles or 08xx numbers.

    > Of course there are CPS options for use with BT, but you did say
    > more expensive than BT, not more expensive than 18866. ;-)

    BT do have more than Option 1, you know :)

    > Although I must admit, the Gradwell offering would be more
    > attractive with an inclusive minutes option...

    If he threw in about four hours worth, perhaps.

    --
    Gravitation can not be held responsible for people falling in love.
    - Albert Einstein
    Peter Corlett, May 20, 2005
  20. bacillus cereus

    Dave Gill Guest

    Peter Corlett <> wrote:

    > Dave Gill <> wrote:

    > > Yes I know BT have a 5.5p/hour evening rate, but I don't tend to
    > > have hour long phone calls (at any time of day).

    > Nor, apparently, do you call mobiles or 08xx numbers.

    If I want to call a mobile, I'll use my mobile. ;-) And believe it or
    not, Telewest (my current fixed-line supplier) is more expensive than
    Gradwell for Daytime and Evening calls to mobiles...

    I avoid using 08XX numbers whenever possible (apart from 0800/0808 of
    course...). 0845/0870 have outlived their usefulness, and 0871 is just
    a (sneaky) revenue earner (IMHO).

    > > Of course there are CPS options for use with BT, but you did say
    > > more expensive than BT, not more expensive than 18866. ;-)

    > BT do have more than Option 1, you know :)

    Telewest also has options that are more expensive than the £10.50/month
    offering, which are of even less use to me.

    > > Although I must admit, the Gradwell offering would be more
    > > attractive with an inclusive minutes option...

    > If he threw in about four hours worth, perhaps.

    I was wondering about a tariff around the £7 - £7.50 mark with, maybe,
    500 minutes included.

    Dave Gill, May 20, 2005