    it really mean that I can call UK geographic number from anywhere abroad at
    a cost of 1.19 p/min?

    divoch
    divoch, Mar 11, 2010

  2. divoch <> wrote:
    > On the Sipgate website: " All tariffs are valid world-wide. It doesn't
    > matter where your sipgate telephone is attached to the Internet." So, does
    > it really mean that I can call UK geographic number from anywhere abroad at
    > a cost of 1.19 p/min?

    Yes, assuming you have an internet connection there. That's a major
    advantage of VOIP! All VOIP connections have the same property.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Mar 12, 2010

  3. On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:19:32 -0000, "divoch"
    <> wrote:

    >On the Sipgate website: " All tariffs are valid world-wide. It doesn't
    >matter where your sipgate telephone is attached to the Internet." So, does
    >it really mean that I can call UK geographic number from anywhere abroad at
    >a cost of 1.19 p/min?
    >
    >divoch

    Yes.

    With Vyke it's around 2.5p per hour to UK landlines.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 12, 2010
  4. divoch

    Chris Blunt Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On the Sipgate website: " All tariffs are valid world-wide. It doesn't
    >matter where your sipgate telephone is attached to the Internet." So, does
    >it really mean that I can call UK geographic number from anywhere abroad at
    >a cost of 1.19 p/min?

    Yes, that's exactly what it means. I've been using Sipgate to do this
    for years to call the UK from where I live in Asia.

    The days are almost gone now where telecoms tariffs are dependant on
    geographic distance. In many cases it can be cheaper to call a
    telephone number on the other side of the world than it is to call a
    mobile in the house next door.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Mar 12, 2010
  5. divoch

    Graham. Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message news:eUemn.315499$2...
    > On the Sipgate website: " All tariffs are valid world-wide. It doesn't matter where your sipgate telephone is attached to the
    > Internet." So, does it really mean that I can call UK geographic number from anywhere abroad at a cost of 1.19 p/min?
    >
    > divoch

    Yes, that's a natural consequence of VoIP, not specifically Sipgate
    but...
    .... 1.19 p/min & 9.90 p/min to call a mobile?
    Daylight robbery! ;-)
    Have a look at
    http://www.smartvoip.com/en/calling-rates.html
    You could still use Sipgate for incoming calls.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Mar 12, 2010
  6. divoch

    Steve Guest

    > > On the Sipgate website: " All tariffs are valid world-wide. It doesn't

    matter where your sipgate telephone is attached to the
    > > Internet." So, does it really mean that I can call UK geographic number

    from anywhere abroad at a cost of 1.19 p/min?

    > > divoch

    > Yes, that's a natural consequence of VoIP, not specifically Sipgate
    > but...
    > ... 1.19 p/min & 9.90 p/min to call a mobile?
    > Daylight robbery! ;-)
    > Have a look at
    > http://www.smartvoip.com/en/calling-rates.html
    > You could still use Sipgate for incoming calls.

    So how much does it cost to use smartvoip? I assume you have to pay them a
    minimum amount to start using the service, so if you were making UK only
    calls then they woldn't be free would they? These voip providers are less
    than honest about the true cost of the service.
    Steve, Mar 13, 2010
  7. divoch

    donkeydave Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > > Have a look at
    > > http://www.smartvoip.com/en/calling-rates.html
    > > You could still use Sipgate for incoming calls.

    > So how much does it cost to use smartvoip? I assume you have to pay them

    > minimum amount to start using the service, so if you were making UK only
    > calls then they woldn't be free would they? These voip providers are less
    > than honest about the true cost of the service.

    UK calls are FREE (so it says) so you should not have to pay them a bean to
    use it.
    DD
    donkeydave, Mar 13, 2010
  8. divoch

    Sam Guest

    donkeydave writes:
    > "Steve" <> wrote
    > > > Have a look at
    > > > http://www.smartvoip.com/en/calling-rates.html
    > > > You could still use Sipgate for incoming calls.

    > > So how much does it cost to use smartvoip? I assume you have to pay them
    > > a minimum amount to start using the service, so if you were making UK only
    > > calls then they woldn't be free would they? These voip providers are less
    > > than honest about the true cost of the service.

    > UK calls are FREE (so it says) so you should not have to pay them a bean to
    > use it.

    ** SmartVoip reserves the right after a certain amount of calls to start
    charging the default rate. FREE CALLS are available for users with
    Freedays.

    1.1p per minute to UK landlines when you're out of free days:
    http://smartvoip.com/en/freetrial.html

    Intial minimum topup is 15 Euros.

    On another page which you only seem to be able to reach after logging in
    to your account (http://www.smartvoip.com/en/free.html):

    Buying credit entitles you to 90 Freedays (unless stated otherwise).
    This means you can call all countries marked as "Free" in our rates list
    for a period of 90 days at no costs. When the 90 days are over, the
    normal rate will be charged for these destinations. You can get more
    Freedays by topping up your account with credit.

    New users can try SmartVoip out for free for a total of 60 minutes.
    During this trial period you can only call the destinations marked as
    free. Register your account by buying credit in order to extend your
    free calls.

    Registered users get max 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured
    over the last 7 days and per unique IP address. Unused free minutes
    cannot be taken to the following week(s). If limit is exceeded the
    normal rates apply. During your Freedays you can call all destinations
    listed as "Free" for free. When you have run out of Freedays, the normal
    rates apply. You can get new Freedays by buying credit.
    Sam, Mar 13, 2010
  9. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx__s_p_a_m__@__t_r_a_p__gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:19:32 -0000, "divoch"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On the Sipgate website: " All tariffs are valid world-wide. It doesn't
    >>matter where your sipgate telephone is attached to the Internet." So, does
    >>it really mean that I can call UK geographic number from anywhere abroad
    >>at
    >>a cost of 1.19 p/min?
    >>
    >>divoch

    > Yes.
    >
    > With Vyke it's around 2.5p per hour to UK landlines.

    Is there a minimum spend (top-up)?
    divoch
    divoch, Mar 13, 2010
  10. On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:53:54 -0000, "divoch"
    <> wrote:

    >"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx__s_p_a_m__@__t_r_a_p__gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:19:32 -0000, "divoch"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On the Sipgate website: " All tariffs are valid world-wide. It doesn't
    >>>matter where your sipgate telephone is attached to the Internet." So, does
    >>>it really mean that I can call UK geographic number from anywhere abroad
    >>>at
    >>>a cost of 1.19 p/min?
    >>>
    >>>divoch

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> With Vyke it's around 2.5p per hour to UK landlines.

    >Is there a minimum spend (top-up)?
    >divoch

    Min top-up is: £10 , €10, 10 NOK or $10 depending on which currency
    you wish to choose to top up with.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 14, 2010