sipgate tries to force customer to send passport / driving licence

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2013.

  1. Guest

    Woody Guest

    "Anti-Spam" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 17:37:36 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, å < Þ @ Þ.Þ > wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem.
    >>> Recently
    >>> sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it
    >>> says:
    >>> "We have recently changed the security policy on our website.
    >>> This
    >>> means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You
    >>> will
    >>> shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account
    >>> email
    >>> address. "

    >>I wonder how rarely you log in. I was asked to change my
    >>password in January
    >>2012 and have not (yet) been asked to add or change anything
    >>since then.

    > If we are talking about www.sipgate.co.uk then I have been with
    > them
    > for years and have not been asked to change my password. The
    > only
    > thing thats comes up on their web page (and has done so for
    > some time)
    > near the top of the page, when you log in, is this message.
    >
    > "Important notice: In order to be able to contact the emergency
    > services from your sipgate account, you have to configure and
    > activate
    > your emergency location! Please be sure to submit your correct
    > and
    > valid UK address as foreign addresses are not accepted. Without
    > doing
    > so, making an emergency call is not possible and could put you
    > and
    > your loved ones in jeopardy should an emergency occur!
    > Configure now"
    >
    > I have not bothered with it, because I have a landline phone as
    > well.

    I have two accounts with Sipgate and haven't look at either for
    may 4-5 years but both came up correctly when I logged in. I
    couldn't remember the password for the second account and they
    sent me a new one almost immediately.

    Has the OP considered that maybe Sipgate just don't like him?

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
    Woody, Apr 9, 2013

  2. Guest

    Graham. Guest

    >I have two accounts with Sipgate and haven't look at either for
    >may 4-5 years but both came up correctly when I logged in. I
    >couldn't remember the password for the second account and they
    >sent me a new one almost immediately.
    >
    >Has the OP considered that maybe Sipgate just don't like him?

    My experience is the same as Harold. I got an email regarding each
    account in December 2011. My original passwords were only 5 characters
    long, so maybe its a genuine tightening up of security rather than
    "firefighting"

    Here's the text:

    sipgate Change
    password
    sipgate GmbH * Gladbacher Str. 74 * 40219 Duesseldorf
    Your account number:

    Dear ,

    We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
    means that you will need to create a new log-in password.

    Please click on the following link within 24 hours to create your new
    password:

    https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/...
    Thank you!

    If you have any further queries, please contact our support team at:

    Kind Regards,
    your sipgate team

    Questions? Send an email to:
    sipgate GmbH * Gladbacher Str. 74 * 40219 Duesseldorf
    Fax +49 211/30203322 * tNr. 106/5724/7147 * HRB 39841 Duesseldorf
    V.A.T. ID: DE219349391 * Company directors: Tim Mois/Thilo Salmon

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 9, 2013

  3. Woody wrote:

    > Has the OP considered that maybe Sipgate just don't like him?

    As I already suggested, he could be using a throwaway email address that
    it not easily traceable to a real person.
    David Woolley, Apr 9, 2013
  4. Guest

    Nick Guest

    On 06/04/2013 15:07, J G Miller wrote:

    > Looking at the call rates at
    >
    > <http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php>
    >
    > they appear to be significantly more expensive than other, just as good,
    > alternative VOIP providers.

    DID for free monthly rental? Who does it cheaper?

    The great thing about voip is you can use different providers for making
    and receiving calls.
    Nick, Apr 10, 2013
  5. On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:11:55 +0100, Nick <> wrote:

    > On 06/04/2013 15:07, J G Miller wrote:
    >
    >> Looking at the call rates at
    >>
    >> <http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php>
    >>
    >> they appear to be significantly more expensive than other, just as good,
    >> alternative VOIP providers.
    >>

    > DID for free monthly rental? Who does it cheaper?

    That plus very reliable outgoing calls - can not recall any one-way speech
    or NU as I occasionally encounter with Localphone and Betamax. Also their
    server is happy to maintain multiple registrations and offer calls to all,
    unlike many who only offer calls to the last registered client.

    I so wish I had a Sipgate.com account too. Is anyone willing to sell one?

    Anthony R. Gold, Apr 10, 2013
  6. J G Miller <miller@yoyo_ORG> writes
    >Looking at the call rates at
    >
    > <http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php>
    >
    >they appear to be significantly more expensive than other, just as good,
    >alternative VOIP providers.

    Broad sweeping statements like that are both useless and inaccurate for
    those who use routeing rules to direct outgoing calls through one VOIP
    provider or another, based on the number being called. My routing rules
    include the following routes - Landline, Landline using 18185, justvoip,
    voip.co.uk and sipgate. Not one of those is cheapest for all
    destinations and not one is most expensive for all destinations!

    For me sipgate is cheapest by miles for calls to Zimbabwean mobiles and
    nearer to home, 0871 numbers. Justvoip wins hands down on UK
    geographic, European and USA calls at 0.00p/minute using free minutes
    earned by calling Zimbabwean landlines at the justvoip rate which is
    lower than anyone else's - I currently have 355 free days!

    Does anyone use a single VOIP provider for ALL outgoing calls?

    Malcolm
    Malcolm Loades, Apr 10, 2013
  7. Guest

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Malcolm Loades
    <> scribeth thus
    >J G Miller <miller@yoyo_ORG> writes
    >>Looking at the call rates at
    >>
    >> <http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php>
    >>
    >>they appear to be significantly more expensive than other, just as good,
    >>alternative VOIP providers.
    >>

    >Broad sweeping statements like that are both useless and inaccurate for
    >those who use routeing rules to direct outgoing calls through one VOIP
    >provider or another, based on the number being called. My routing rules
    >include the following routes - Landline, Landline using 18185, justvoip,
    >voip.co.uk and sipgate. Not one of those is cheapest for all
    >destinations and not one is most expensive for all destinations!
    >
    >For me sipgate is cheapest by miles for calls to Zimbabwean mobiles and
    >nearer to home, 0871 numbers. Justvoip wins hands down on UK
    >geographic, European and USA calls at 0.00p/minute using free minutes
    >earned by calling Zimbabwean landlines at the justvoip rate which is
    >lower than anyone else's - I currently have 355 free days!
    >
    >Does anyone use a single VOIP provider for ALL outgoing calls?
    >
    >Malcolm

    Yes, VoIPfone...

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Apr 10, 2013
  8. Guest

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 14:10:11 +0100, Malcolm Loades <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone use a single VOIP provider for ALL outgoing calls?

    I do, but then I only use Sipgate.co.uk for one specific purpose. It
    gives me a UK geographical number which I can receive calls at home in
    the Philippines on, and I can make calls back to the UK at local
    rates. That's just about all I need normally.

    My average total spend with them is less than £10 a year.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Apr 11, 2013
  9. Guest

    Ria Elaine Guest

    On 06/04/13 12:18, J G Miller wrote:
    > On Saturday, April 6th, 2013, at 10:24:57h +0000, Bob Eager explained:
    >
    >> a.k.a. "Our password database has been compromised"

    > And most ominously at
    >
    > <https://secure.sipgate.COM/register/unavailable>
    >
    > QUOTE
    >
    > Unfortunately, due to issues outside of our control we
    > are not able to offer our services to new customers anymore.
    >
    > UNQUOTE
    >

    > If they cannot take on new customers, the best course of action for
    > existing customers would be to drop their service as soon as possible.

    sipgate.com is the US site. The UK site is, surprisingly, sipgate.co.uk
    where I see no such notice.

    Ria
    Ria Elaine, Apr 14, 2013
  10. Guest

    Chris Davies Guest

    å <=?x-user-defined?Q? ? @ ?.? ?=> wrote:
    > I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
    > sipgate changed their log-in system.
    > "We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
    > means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will
    > shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account email
    > address."

    This first happened to me about four years ago. I lost one of my VoIP
    accounts with them because I couldn't provide the associated identity
    information (it had originally been set up for a contractor. They'd left
    but I'd not updated the personal information to point back to me).

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Apr 15, 2013
  11. Guest

    Chris Davies Guest

    Malcolm Loades <> wrote:
    > Does anyone use a single VOIP provider for ALL outgoing calls?

    I think (BCBBTC) that I use smslisto for all my outgoing. (Calling
    pattern is mostly UK mobiles with some Europe/US/NZ/AU landlines.)

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Apr 15, 2013
  12. Guest

    Mark Evans Guest

    å <=?x-user-defined?Q? ? @ ?.? ?=> wrote:
    > Unfortunately my email address has changed so clicking the link
    > doesn't work. I've explained this to sipgate support. Despite my
    > having correct log in information, sipgate say this is not sufficient.
    > They are demanding I send them ID by email including:
    > 1 My full name
    > 2 Full postal address
    > 3 Date of birth
    > 4 Passport or driving licence.
    > Since I never gave them all this information in the first place I
    > don't see how it helps them to check my ID. As a matter of goodwill I
    > sent them the first 3 pieces of information but they say this is
    > insufficient. I MUST provide them with a digitised passport or driving
    > licence. I am not prepared to do this as it may put me at risk of
    > identity fraud.

    AFAIK there is no requirement actually have either document in the
    first place.

    Have you contacted the Information Commisioner's Office about this?
    Mark Evans, Apr 21, 2013