sipgate tries to force customer to send passport / driving licence

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2013.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
    sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says:
    "We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
    means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will
    shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account email
    address. "
    Unfortunately my email address has changed so clicking the link
    doesn't work. I've explained this to sipgate support. Despite my
    having correct log in information, sipgate say this is not sufficient.
    They are demanding I send them ID by email including:
    1 My full name
    2 Full postal address
    3 Date of birth
    4 Passport or driving licence.
    Since I never gave them all this information in the first place I
    don't see how it helps them to check my ID. As a matter of goodwill I
    sent them the first 3 pieces of information but they say this is
    insufficient. I MUST provide them with a digitised passport or driving
    licence. I am not prepared to do this as it may put me at risk of
    identity fraud.

    What is wrong with sipgate when they refuse to accept valid log in
    credentials for updating my email address?
    Guest, Apr 6, 2013

  2. ? wrote:

    > insufficient. I MUST provide them with a digitised passport or driving
    > licence. I am not prepared to do this as it may put me at risk of
    > identity fraud.

    This sounds like an anti-money laundering requirement. Are VoIP
    services being used for money laundering these days?

    Other possibilities are that it is because they are providing the
    service on credit and they don't want to be the victim of identity
    fraud, or that they are being put under pressure by governments to be
    able to associated traffic flow data with specific individuals.

    Your identity was probably grand-fathered in, but as you are changing
    the one item that actually allows the authorities or debt collectors, to
    trace back to your true identity, they are now in a stricter
    environment, and need another way of doing so.

    Have you changed from an ISP based email address to a throwaway one, as
    that would increase the need to verify your true identity.
    David Woolley, Apr 6, 2013

  3. Guest

    Woody Guest

    "?" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? ? @ ?.? ?="> wrote in message
[...]

    Explains why it is better to use a domain address with forwarding
    then it matters not what your real address is they will always
    get, see, and use the domain alias which gets around the problem.

    ?15 for two years to my mind is a small price to pay, plus if it
    gets spammed or turns up where you don't want it you can change
    it very easily.

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
    Woody, Apr 6, 2013
  4. Guest

    Bob Eager Guest

    Re: sipgate tries to force customer to send passport / drivinglicence

    On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, å wrote:

    > I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
    > sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says: "We
    > have recently changed the security policy on our website. This means
    > that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will shortly
    > receive an email from us at your sipgate account email address. "

    a.k.a. "Our password database has been compromised"

    Bob Eager, Apr 6, 2013
  5. "J G Miller" <miller@yoyo_ORG> wrote in message
    > On Saturday, April 6th, 2013, at 10:24:57h +0000, Bob Eager explained:
    >
    >> a.k.a. "Our password database has been compromised"

    > And most ominously at
    >
    > <https://secure.sipgate.COM/register/unavailable>
    >
    > QUOTE
    >
    > Unfortunately, due to issues outside of our control we
    > are not able to offer our services to new customers anymore.
    >
    > UNQUOTE
    >

    > If they cannot take on new customers, the best course of action for
    > existing customers would be to drop their service as soon as possible.

    I believe the issue(s) relate to sipgate.co.uk rather than sipgate.com.

    I believe sipgate.com have been closed to new registrations for quite some
    time now as they ran out of DIDs.

    --
    Peter <X-Files fan>
    Trust No One?, Apr 6, 2013
  6. Guest

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On 6 Apr 2013 10:24:57 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, ? wrote:
    >
    >> I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
    >> sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says: "We
    >> have recently changed the security policy on our website. This means
    >> that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will shortly
    >> receive an email from us at your sipgate account email address. "

    >a.k.a. "Our password database has been compromised"

    If that were true then you'd expect them to ask all their customers to
    change their passwords. I can still log-in as normal with the same
    password I've been using on the account for several years.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Apr 7, 2013
  7. Guest

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, ? < ? @ ?.? > wrote:

    >I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
    >sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says:
    >"We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
    >means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will
    >shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account email
    >address. "
    >Unfortunately my email address has changed so clicking the link
    >doesn't work. I've explained this to sipgate support. Despite my
    >having correct log in information, sipgate say this is not sufficient.
    >They are demanding I send them ID by email including:
    >1 My full name
    >2 Full postal address
    >3 Date of birth
    >4 Passport or driving licence.
    >Since I never gave them all this information in the first place I
    >don't see how it helps them to check my ID. As a matter of goodwill I
    >sent them the first 3 pieces of information but they say this is
    >insufficient. I MUST provide them with a digitised passport or driving
    >licence. I am not prepared to do this as it may put me at risk of
    >identity fraud.
    >
    >What is wrong with sipgate when they refuse to accept valid log in
    >credentials for updating my email address?

    Are you sure they're asking for the actual passport or license itself,
    and not just copies of either document? They are a German company, and
    the language issues might have caused some misunderstanding.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Apr 7, 2013
  8. In message <>, Chris Blunt
    <> writes
    >On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, ? < ? @ ?.? > wrote:
    >
    >>I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
    >>sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says:
    >>"We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
    >>means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will
    >>shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account email
    >>address. "
    >>Unfortunately my email address has changed so clicking the link
    >>doesn't work. I've explained this to sipgate support. Despite my
    >>having correct log in information, sipgate say this is not sufficient.
    >>They are demanding I send them ID by email including:
    >>1 My full name
    >>2 Full postal address
    >>3 Date of birth
    >>4 Passport or driving licence.
    >>Since I never gave them all this information in the first place I
    >>don't see how it helps them to check my ID. As a matter of goodwill I
    >>sent them the first 3 pieces of information but they say this is
    >>insufficient. I MUST provide them with a digitised passport or driving
    >>licence. I am not prepared to do this as it may put me at risk of
    >>identity fraud.
    >>
    >>What is wrong with sipgate when they refuse to accept valid log in
    >>credentials for updating my email address?

    >Are you sure they're asking for the actual passport or license itself,
    >and not just copies of either document?

    He's not saying that at all.

    See above which says "They are demanding I send them ID by email ...".
    It would be a little difficult to send anything other than a copy by
    e-mail!

    > They are a German company, and
    >the language issues might have caused some misunderstanding.

    Plain English seems to be causing the confusion here :)

    Malcolm
    Malcolm Loades, Apr 7, 2013
  9. Guest

    On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 14:23:42 +0800, Chris Blunt wrote:

    > On 6 Apr 2013 10:24:57 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, å wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
    >>> sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says:
    >>> "We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
    >>> means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will
    >>> shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account email
    >>> address. "

    >>a.k.a. "Our password database has been compromised"

    > If that were true then you'd expect them to ask all their customers to
    > change their passwords. I can still log-in as normal with the same
    > password I've been using on the account for several years.

    Just for laughs, I tried to log in and was immediately forced to change
    my password.

    Bob Eager, Apr 7, 2013
  10. Guest

    Harold Finch Guest

    On 7 Apr 2013 07:50:46 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:

    >Just for laughs, I tried to log in and was immediately forced to change
    >my password.

    Just for interest, how long is it since you last logged into your Sipgate web
    page Bob?

    I only ask because about nine months ago I was forced to change the passwords
    for the three Sipgate accounts I administer. I also know of one other person
    who this happened to at the same time. Is it possible you haven't used web
    access for several months and this is a hang back to that time?

    FWIW, the three accounts I administer are working perfectly with the passwords
    I changed nine months ago with no indication (so far) that I need to change
    them again.

    H.
    Harold Finch, Apr 7, 2013
  11. Re: sipgate tries to force customer to send passport / drivinglicence

    In article <>,
    Bob Eager <> wrote:

    >Just for laughs, I tried to log in and was immediately forced to change
    >my password.

    Just done the same - although I've never used my sipgate accout for
    some years now... Going through old email from them, they emailled my
    original password in plain-text to me!

    Maybe they're trying to make up for that glaring goof now...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Apr 7, 2013
  12. Guest

    On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 10:22:09 +0100, Harold Finch wrote:

    > On 7 Apr 2013 07:50:46 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just for laughs, I tried to log in and was immediately forced to change
    >>my password.

    > Just for interest, how long is it since you last logged into your
    > Sipgate web page Bob?
    >
    > I only ask because about nine months ago I was forced to change the
    > passwords for the three Sipgate accounts I administer. I also know of
    > one other person who this happened to at the same time. Is it possible
    > you haven't used web access for several months and this is a hang back
    > to that time?
    >
    > FWIW, the three accounts I administer are working perfectly with the
    > passwords I changed nine months ago with no indication (so far) that I
    > need to change them again.

    Probably quite a while ago. The Sipgate account is only for backup and
    testing, and I don't use it much. My primary VoIP is with AAISP.

    Bob Eager, Apr 7, 2013
  13. On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 08:08:17 +0100, Malcolm Loades <>
    wrote:

    >In message <>, Chris Blunt
    ><> writes
    >>On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, ? < ? @ ?.? > wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
    >>>sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says:
    >>>"We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
    >>>means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will
    >>>shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account email
    >>>address. "
    >>>Unfortunately my email address has changed so clicking the link
    >>>doesn't work. I've explained this to sipgate support. Despite my
    >>>having correct log in information, sipgate say this is not sufficient.
    >>>They are demanding I send them ID by email including:
    >>>1 My full name
    >>>2 Full postal address
    >>>3 Date of birth
    >>>4 Passport or driving licence.
    >>>Since I never gave them all this information in the first place I
    >>>don't see how it helps them to check my ID. As a matter of goodwill I
    >>>sent them the first 3 pieces of information but they say this is
    >>>insufficient. I MUST provide them with a digitised passport or driving
    >>>licence. I am not prepared to do this as it may put me at risk of
    >>>identity fraud.
    >>>
    >>>What is wrong with sipgate when they refuse to accept valid log in
    >>>credentials for updating my email address?

    >>Are you sure they're asking for the actual passport or license itself,
    >>and not just copies of either document?

    >He's not saying that at all.
    >
    >See above which says "They are demanding I send them ID by email ...".
    >It would be a little difficult to send anything other than a copy by
    >e-mail!
    >
    >> They are a German company, and
    >>the language issues might have caused some misunderstanding.

    >Plain English seems to be causing the confusion here :)

    It seems like that!

    Nowadays it is quite common for an ID check that you provide driving
    licence or passport *number*. But the name and postal address on those
    documents *must* be the same name and postal address you provided on
    whatever you are applying for.

    --
    bightdidr S9r
    brightside S9, Apr 7, 2013
  14. Guest

    Harold Finch Guest

    On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 09:27:29 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    >Just done the same - although I've never used my sipgate accout for
    >some years now...

    I've just gone through my old emails. For me, they requested the password
    change on 2/12/2011, stating that they had just changed the security policy on
    their website.

    Have to say it didn't seem that long ago. Time flies as you get older.
    Harold Finch, Apr 7, 2013
  15. Guest

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, R. Mark Clayton
    <> scribeth thus

    >"?" <"=?x-user-defined?Q? ? @ ?.? ?="> wrote in message
    >I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
    >sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says:
    >"We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
    >means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will
    >shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account email
    >address. "
    >Unfortunately my email address has changed so clicking the link
    >doesn't work. I've explained this to sipgate support. Despite my
    >having correct log in information, sipgate say this is not sufficient.
    >They are demanding I send them ID by email including:
    >1 My full name
    >2 Full postal address
    >3 Date of birth
    >4 Passport or driving licence.
    >Since I never gave them all this information in the first place I
    >don't see how it helps them to check my ID. As a matter of goodwill I
    >sent them the first 3 pieces of information but they say this is
    >insufficient. I MUST provide them with a digitised passport or driving
    >licence. I am not prepared to do this as it may put me at risk of
    >identity fraud.
    >
    >What is wrong with sipgate when they refuse to accept valid log in
    >credentials for updating my email address?
    >
    >1. ONLY send them a certified copy of your passport / license.
    >or

    That sounds like a scam in the making..

    >2. Move to Voipfone

    Yes much better in many ways:)..

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Apr 7, 2013
  16. On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, ? < ? @ ?.? > wrote:

    > I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
    > sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says:
    > "We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
    > means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will
    > shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account email
    > address. "

    I wonder how rarely you log in. I was asked to change my password in January
    2012 and have not (yet) been asked to add or change anything since then.
    Anthony R. Gold, Apr 7, 2013
  17. Guest

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On 7 Apr 2013 07:50:46 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 14:23:42 +0800, Chris Blunt wrote:

    >>>a.k.a. "Our password database has been compromised"

    >> If that were true then you'd expect them to ask all their customers to
    >> change their passwords. I can still log-in as normal with the same
    >> password I've been using on the account for several years.

    >Just for laughs, I tried to log in and was immediately forced to change
    >my password.

    Maybe they're tightening up on the types of passwords used on the
    system. My password contains two alpha characters and six numeric. It
    could be that some simpler combinations may no longer be acceptable.

    I've been using the same password for over eight years, so it can't be
    anything to do with when you last changed the password.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Apr 8, 2013
  18. Guest

    Chris Blunt Guest

    wrote:

    >In message <>, Chris Blunt
    ><> writes
    >>On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 09:10:46 +0100, ? < ? @ ?.? > wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've been a user of sipgate for many years without problem. Recently
    >>>sipgate changed their log-in system. When trying to log-in it says:
    >>>"We have recently changed the security policy on our website. This
    >>>means that you will need to create a new log-in password. You will
    >>>shortly receive an email from us at your sipgate account email
    >>>address. "
    >>>Unfortunately my email address has changed so clicking the link
    >>>doesn't work. I've explained this to sipgate support. Despite my
    >>>having correct log in information, sipgate say this is not sufficient.
    >>>They are demanding I send them ID by email including:
    >>>1 My full name
    >>>2 Full postal address
    >>>3 Date of birth
    >>>4 Passport or driving licence.
    >>>Since I never gave them all this information in the first place I
    >>>don't see how it helps them to check my ID. As a matter of goodwill I
    >>>sent them the first 3 pieces of information but they say this is
    >>>insufficient. I MUST provide them with a digitised passport or driving
    >>>licence. I am not prepared to do this as it may put me at risk of
    >>>identity fraud.
    >>>
    >>>What is wrong with sipgate when they refuse to accept valid log in
    >>>credentials for updating my email address?

    >>Are you sure they're asking for the actual passport or license itself,
    >>and not just copies of either document?

    >He's not saying that at all.
    >
    >See above which says "They are demanding I send them ID by email ...".
    >It would be a little difficult to send anything other than a copy by
    >e-mail!

    OK, I missed that. The subject line of the message suggested they
    wanted the document itself.

    Then what does he expect Sipgate to do? Would he be happy for them to
    allow access to his account to anyone who happens to know his name,
    postal address and date of birth?

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Apr 8, 2013
  19. Guest

    On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 20:20:01 +0800, Chris Blunt wrote:

    > On 7 Apr 2013 07:50:46 GMT, Bob Eager <> wrote:

    >>> If that were true then you'd expect them to ask all their customers to
    >>> change their passwords. I can still log-in as normal with the same
    >>> password I've been using on the account for several years.

    >>Just for laughs, I tried to log in and was immediately forced to change
    >>my password.

    > Maybe they're tightening up on the types of passwords used on the
    > system. My password contains two alpha characters and six numeric. It
    > could be that some simpler combinations may no longer be acceptable.

    My old one contained six alpha and two numeric...arguably slightly better
    than yours!

    Bob Eager, Apr 8, 2013
  20. Guest

    Guest

    brightside S9 <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote:

    > Nowadays it is quite common for an ID check that you provide driving
    > licence or passport *number*. But the name and postal address on those
    > documents *must* be the same name and postal address you provided on
    > whatever you are applying for.

    UK passports at least don't have an address on them.

    --
    Chris Green
    , Apr 8, 2013