Sipgate - SMS Problem - Not much help from Customer Services

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Gul Dukat, Apr 20, 2006.

  1. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    Hello.

    Some of you may remember that I had a problem sending SMS from my
    Sipgate web pages to Spanish mobiles on the Movistar network, whilst
    it seems SMS to Vodafone Spain work OK.

    Well I lodged a ticket and despite a bit of ineffective help it has
    all gone quiet not, even though I have demonstrated the problem to
    them. Even a response to say that the solution is out of their hands
    would be something.

    I guess this is 'normal' judging by the comments made by several folk
    in this group and the only thing keeping me from moving to another
    provider is an excellent geographical number I got because I was the
    first applicant for my virtual exchange.

    I gather from another thread that number portability is possible with
    VOIP and as soon as I find out how to do this, I'm off.

    I can't be bothered with an organisation that ignores a definite
    problem despite being provided with detailed fault finding.

    Dukat.
    Gul Dukat, Apr 20, 2006

  2. Gul Dukat

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gul Dukat" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > Some of you may remember that I had a problem sending SMS
    > from my Sipgate web pages to Spanish mobiles on the
    > Movistar network, whilst it seems SMS to Vodafone Spain
    > work OK.
    >
    > Well I lodged a ticket and despite a bit of ineffective
    > help it has all gone quiet not, even though I have
    > demonstrated the problem to them. Even a response to say
    > that the solution is out of their hands would be
    > something.

    If it works to one foreign network but not another, surely this indicates
    a problem with that network..? Have you asked Movistar why it doesn't work
    to them..?

    I agree you should have had a better response though, but it does seem to
    me that the problem *isn't* with Sipgate. How many times have you asked,
    just out of interest..?

    > I guess this is 'normal' judging by the comments made by
    > several folk in this group and the only thing keeping me
    > from moving to another provider is an excellent
    > geographical number I got because I was the first
    > applicant for my virtual exchange.
    >
    > I gather from another thread that number portability is
    > possible with VOIP and as soon as I find out how to do
    > this, I'm off.

    It's only possible to port to some providers (such as Gradwell) and then
    only with certain number ranges such as London 020. Unless you are
    prepared to pay for call diversion.

    > I can't be bothered with an organisation that ignores a
    > definite problem despite being provided with detailed
    > fault finding.

    Would you care to elaborate..? How many times have you requested help..?
    One email can go missing, but if you have asked 10 times that's a
    different matter.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 20, 2006

  3. Gul Dukat

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:00:22 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Gul Dukat" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> Some of you may remember that I had a problem sending SMS
    >> from my Sipgate web pages to Spanish mobiles on the
    >> Movistar network, whilst it seems SMS to Vodafone Spain
    >> work OK.
    >>
    >> Well I lodged a ticket and despite a bit of ineffective
    >> help it has all gone quiet not, even though I have
    >> demonstrated the problem to them. Even a response to say
    >> that the solution is out of their hands would be
    >> something.

    >If it works to one foreign network but not another, surely this indicates
    >a problem with that network..? Have you asked Movistar why it doesn't work
    >to them..?
    >
    >I agree you should have had a better response though, but it does seem to
    >me that the problem *isn't* with Sipgate. How many times have you asked,
    >just out of interest..?

    Regardless as to where we might speculate the fault lies, he's a
    customer of Sipgate so they are the correct point of contact for him
    to report any problems. Only Sipgate have the ability to trace what
    initially happened to the message in their network when it was sent.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Apr 20, 2006
  4. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    <> wrote:

    >If it works to one foreign network but not another, surely this indicates
    >a problem with that network..? Have you asked Movistar why it doesn't work
    >to them..?

    How's your Spanish? Technical enough to formulate a technical question
    and understand a technical reply? Thought not.

    >I agree you should have had a better response though, but it does seem to
    >me that the problem *isn't* with Sipgate. How many times have you asked,
    >just out of interest..?

    I have exchanged 7 ticketed messages with support. Now they seem to
    have lost interest.

    >It's only possible to port to some providers (such as Gradwell) and then
    >only with certain number ranges such as London 020. Unless you are
    >prepared to pay for call diversion.

    I will be looking into this.

    >Would you care to elaborate..? How many times have you requested help..?
    >One email can go missing, but if you have asked 10 times that's a
    >different matter.

    I have answered this question above. As a later poster has stated,
    this is a Sipgate problem as I am able to send SMS to Voda Es by any
    other means. I'm not too worried that there is a technical issue but
    rather that Sipgate can't or won't take remedial action and seem to
    have lost interest in the problem because there isn't a quick fix.

    I is well documented in this group Ivor, that you are an ardent
    supporter of Sipgate. Perhaps just for once you will consider that
    they do have some failings.

    Dukat.
    Gul Dukat, Apr 20, 2006
  5. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:06:46 +0100, Chris Blunt
    <> wrote:

    >Regardless as to where we might speculate the fault lies, he's a
    >customer of Sipgate so they are the correct point of contact for him
    >to report any problems. Only Sipgate have the ability to trace what
    >initially happened to the message in their network when it was sent.

    Thanks for this Chris. The issue is that pressing the send button on
    the web page rejects the message immediately stating that it is not a
    valid number. I have tried using both the 0034 and +34 prefix but both
    fail in the same manner.

    This applies to both +34 650 and +34 649 prefixes, both of which are
    Movistar network in Spain. A message sent to a +34 617 or +34 627
    prefix, which is Vodafone Spain is instantly accepted and is
    delivered. All mobile prefixes in Spain start with 6.

    This looks to me like a parsing error in the web page script which
    Sipgate appear unwilling to investigate or rectify.

    Dukat.
    Gul Dukat, Apr 20, 2006
  6. Gul Dukat

    paul123 Guest

    Gul Dukat wrote:
    > the only thing keeping me from moving to another
    > provider is an excellent geographical number I got because I was the
    > first applicant for my virtual exchange.

    If you're using a multi-account device (gxp2000, asterisk, avm router
    etc), you could keep the number just for incoming and still change to
    another provider for outgoing. If not....

    On the SMS thing - is it possible that it is certain prefixes that
    don't work as opposed to Movistar? If you want to text me on my, or my
    wife's Spanish mobiles (610 or 629 prefixes), let me know. They are
    also vodafones, but as I mentioned in a previous thread the 629 number
    was originally Movistar, but is now a vodafone number.
    paul123, Apr 20, 2006
  7. Gul Dukat

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:05:37 +0100, Gul Dukat <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:06:46 +0100, Chris Blunt
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Regardless as to where we might speculate the fault lies, he's a
    >>customer of Sipgate so they are the correct point of contact for him
    >>to report any problems. Only Sipgate have the ability to trace what
    >>initially happened to the message in their network when it was sent.

    >Thanks for this Chris. The issue is that pressing the send button on
    >the web page rejects the message immediately stating that it is not a
    >valid number. I have tried using both the 0034 and +34 prefix but both
    >fail in the same manner.
    >
    >This applies to both +34 650 and +34 649 prefixes, both of which are
    >Movistar network in Spain. A message sent to a +34 617 or +34 627
    >prefix, which is Vodafone Spain is instantly accepted and is
    >delivered. All mobile prefixes in Spain start with 6.
    >
    >This looks to me like a parsing error in the web page script which
    >Sipgate appear unwilling to investigate or rectify.

    I get the same result when sending to +34650 numbers.

    I notice Sipgate's help page has the following to say about SMS:

    "2. To what countries may I send an SMS?
    You may send an SMS to any UK mobile and almost all foreign networks.
    Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that foreign SMS systems will
    always work."

    Perhaps Sipgate just don't support sending of SMS to Moviestar
    numbers. You'd have thought they would be able to tell you in advance
    if that were the case, or else provide a more meaningful error
    message.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Apr 20, 2006
  8. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:56:12 +0100, Chris Blunt
    <> wrote:

    >I get the same result when sending to +34650 numbers.

    Thanks for that Chris. At least that indicates that it isn't my fault
    :)

    >Perhaps Sipgate just don't support sending of SMS to Moviestar
    >numbers. You'd have thought they would be able to tell you in advance
    >if that were the case, or else provide a more meaningful error
    >message.

    You are most likely right. I just wish the guy at CS who was dealing
    with my ticket had been able to establish that before 'giving up' on
    my case.

    Many thanks,

    Dukat.
    Gul Dukat, Apr 20, 2006
  9. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    On 20 Apr 2006 12:43:40 -0700, "paul123" <> wrote:

    >If you're using a multi-account device (gxp2000, asterisk, avm router
    >etc), you could keep the number just for incoming and still change to
    >another provider for outgoing. If not....

    Thanks for the suggestion Paul. I'm using a self unlocked PAP2 so I
    can configure one line for outgoing and one line for incoming calls.
    I'm actually going over to Spain on Saturday, so will look at another
    provider when I get back.

    >On the SMS thing - is it possible that it is certain prefixes that
    >don't work as opposed to Movistar? If you want to text me on my, or my
    >wife's Spanish mobiles (610 or 629 prefixes), let me know. They are
    >also vodafones, but as I mentioned in a previous thread the 629 number
    >was originally Movistar, but is now a vodafone number.

    You could be right, it could be prefix specific rather than network. I
    know a few friends on Movistar who have different prefixes and whilst
    I'm over, I'll arrange to do a few tests with them when I get back to
    UK. It could simply be that Sipgate haven't programmed the 649 and 650
    prefixes in their system although that would be poor as they have been
    in use for at least a couple of years.

    Many thanks for all the help.

    Dukat.
    Gul Dukat, Apr 20, 2006
  10. Gul Dukat

    paul123 Guest

    paul123, Apr 20, 2006
  11. Gul Dukat

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gul Dukat" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I is well documented in this group Ivor, that you are an
    > ardent supporter of Sipgate. Perhaps just for once you
    > will consider that they do have some failings.

    Indeed they do, but if the fault is elsewhere, such as somewhere in one of
    the Spanish systems, it's hardly their fault is it, although I agree you
    should have been better informed.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 21, 2006
  12. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 01:53:46 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Indeed they do, but if the fault is elsewhere, such as somewhere in one of
    >the Spanish systems, it's hardly their fault is it, although I agree you
    >should have been better informed.

    I'm not going to drag this thread on and on. Simply to point out that
    after tests the 'fault' appears to be with the web page parsing at
    Sipgate. If Sipgate are not able to send to certain other networks
    then an indication as part of the error message is needed, rather than
    telling me that the number is incorrect, which it clearly is not.

    This also does not excuse the shoddy actions of Sipgate customer
    service who give up if they lose interest because they cannot solve a
    'basic' problem.

    Very poor.

    Dukat.
    Gul Dukat, Apr 21, 2006
  13. Gul Dukat

    Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 06:46:58 +0100, Gul Dukat <> wrote:

    >service who give up if they lose interest because they cannot solve a
    >'basic' problem.
    >
    >Very poor.
    >

    >Dukat.

    Course they offer poor service at BEST at worst they are downright
    totally unusable .
    , Apr 21, 2006
  14. Gul Dukat

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gul Dukat" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 01:53:46 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Indeed they do, but if the fault is elsewhere, such as
    > > somewhere in one of the Spanish systems, it's hardly
    > > their fault is it, although I agree you should have
    > > been better informed.

    > I'm not going to drag this thread on and on. Simply to
    > point out that after tests the 'fault' appears to be with
    > the web page parsing at Sipgate. If Sipgate are not able
    > to send to certain other networks then an indication as
    > part of the error message is needed, rather than telling
    > me that the number is incorrect, which it clearly is not.
    >
    > This also does not excuse the shoddy actions of Sipgate
    > customer service who give up if they lose interest
    > because they cannot solve a 'basic' problem.
    >
    > Very poor.
    >

    > Dukat.

    The problem has now been fixed. Try it.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 21, 2006
  15. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:13:53 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >The problem has now been fixed. Try it.

    And how do you know this information?

    Dukat.
    Gul Dukat, Apr 21, 2006
  16. Gul Dukat

    Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:53:01 +0100, Gul Dukat <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:13:53 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>The problem has now been fixed. Try it.

    >And how do you know this information?

    He works for them didn't you know .
    , Apr 21, 2006
  17. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:41:45 GMT, wrote:

    >He works for them didn't you know .

    I thought he drove a bus or something. Maybe he's got two jobs?

    Dukat.
    Gul Dukat, Apr 21, 2006
  18. Gul Dukat

    Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:44:43 +0100, Gul Dukat <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:41:45 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>He works for them didn't you know .

    >I thought he drove a bus or something. Maybe he's got two jobs?

    Considering how he defends them at every given opportunity and also
    seems to have more info available about them at any given time one
    must assume that he works for them .
    , Apr 21, 2006
  19. Gul Dukat

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gul Dukat" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:41:45 GMT,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > He works for them didn't you know .

    > I thought he drove a bus or something. Maybe he's got two
    > jobs?
    >
    > Dukat.

    Don't believe everything Dexter tells you. No I don't work for them, but
    try it anyway. Maybe I did..?!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 22, 2006
  20. Gul Dukat

    paul123 Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Gul Dukat" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:41:45 GMT,
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > He works for them didn't you know .

    > > I thought he drove a bus or something. Maybe he's got two
    > > jobs?
    > >
    > > Dukat.

    > Don't believe everything Dexter tells you. No I don't work for them, but
    > try it anyway. Maybe I did..?!
    >
    > Ivor

    Sorry, not sure if I understood the final "Maybe I did..?!"
    Did what? Try it or work for them (or drive a bus)?
    paul123, Apr 22, 2006