    my speaking clock on 1431320 (020 7043 1320 from PSTN) is feeling a little
    neglected ;-)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 1, 2006

  2. Ivor Jones

    Dellboy Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Just tried several test calls on my 3 Sipgate lines, to/from other Sipgate
    > numbers, the PSTN and a Gradwell number, all went through first time with
    > no problems, so maybe they are finally getting things done. We can but
    > hope, anyway..!
    >
    > Incidentally, if anyone wants a Sipgate number to make some test calls to,
    > my speaking clock on 1431320 (020 7043 1320 from PSTN) is feeling a little
    > neglected ;-)
    >
    > Ivor

    Sorry for my previous coment in another thread, wasn`t suppose to be
    personal :0)

    But anyway, I got a PAP2 on Vonage did the do and now it`s running on
    Sipgate, i`ve noticed it`s excellent service ATM, I didn`t know if it was
    the PAP2 or that Sipgate had upgraded.

    Hopefully they will continue to upgrade and provide a good service.

    Dellboy, Mar 1, 2006

  3. Ivor Jones

    Alex Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > Just tried several test calls on my 3 Sipgate lines, to/from other Sipgate
    > numbers, the PSTN and a Gradwell number, all went through first time with
    > no problems, so maybe they are finally getting things done. We can but
    > hope, anyway..!
    >
    > Incidentally, if anyone wants a Sipgate number to make some test calls to,
    > my speaking clock on 1431320 (020 7043 1320 from PSTN) is feeling a little
    > neglected ;-)
    >
    > Ivor

    Without wanting to tempt fate, I have called several mobiles today, each
    time it connected within about 10 seconds AND I got a ringing tone before
    they answered. Lets hope that they've put some new servers in and that the
    service lasts!

    Alex

    Alex, Mar 1, 2006
  4. Ivor Jones

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:14:22 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Just tried several test calls on my 3 Sipgate lines, to/from other Sipgate
    >numbers, the PSTN and a Gradwell number, all went through first time with
    >no problems, so maybe they are finally getting things done. We can but
    >hope, anyway..!

    I noticed the same improvement on a call to a landline today. Ringing
    tone received exactly as would have been expected, and voice quality
    as good as its ever been.

    Chris

    Chris Blunt, Mar 1, 2006
  5. Ivor Jones

    Nick B. Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > Incidentally, if anyone wants a Sipgate number to make some test calls to,
    > my speaking clock on 1431320 (020 7043 1320 from PSTN) is feeling a little
    > neglected ;-)

    Takes me back a few years since it had that voice!
    Just called from my sipgate number using X-lite and the audio level
    seemed a bit low...

    --
    Nick B.

    Nick B., Mar 1, 2006
  6. Thus spaketh Nick B.:
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Incidentally, if anyone wants a Sipgate number to make some test
    >> calls to, my speaking clock on 1431320 (020 7043 1320 from PSTN) is
    >> feeling a little neglected ;-)

    > Takes me back a few years since it had that voice!
    > Just called from my sipgate number using X-lite and the audio level
    > seemed a bit low...

    I too have noticed the low audio level on the speaking clock.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 1, 2006
  7. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Nick B." <> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > Incidentally, if anyone wants a Sipgate number to make
    > > some test calls to, my speaking clock on 1431320 (020
    > > 7043 1320 from PSTN) is feeling a little neglected ;-)

    > Takes me back a few years since it had that voice!
    > Just called from my sipgate number using X-lite and the
    > audio level seemed a bit low...

    It's a digitised copy of the Pat Simmons voice, who was the clock from
    1963 to 1985. More info here:

    http://www.g6urp.co.uk/tim2004.htm

    which is my site, links from there to other relevant sites :)

    Re. the audio level, it could be x-lite, I am not keen on softphones, it's
    ok from my phones here, just a thought.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 1, 2006
  8. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message
    > Thus spaketh Nick B.:
    > > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > >
    > > > Incidentally, if anyone wants a Sipgate number to
    > > > make some test calls to, my speaking clock on 1431320
    > > > (020 7043 1320 from PSTN) is feeling a little
    > > > neglected ;-)

    > > Takes me back a few years since it had that voice!
    > > Just called from my sipgate number using X-lite and the
    > > audio level seemed a bit low...

    > I too have noticed the low audio level on the speaking
    > clock.

    Not sure why that is, sounds ok to me, even calling through Sipgate and
    not direct. I'll have a look but I don't think there is much I can do with
    it.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 1, 2006
  9. Ivor Jones

    Nick B. Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Nick B." <> wrote in message
    >> Takes me back a few years since it had that voice!
    >> Just called from my sipgate number using X-lite and the
    >> audio level seemed a bit low...

    > It's a digitised copy of the Pat Simmons voice, who was the clock from
    > 1963 to 1985. More info here:
    > http://www.g6urp.co.uk/tim2004.htm

    I vaguely remember it changing over to Brian Cobby, then at some point
    they added that awful "sponsored by accurist" bit. Used to call it daily
    at work for a few years as an official "time check" for our voice
    recorders but superseeded by MSF clocks and then GPS-locked ntp.

    > which is my site, links from there to other relevant sites :)

    At risk of drifting OT, I ran a BBS for a while too...

    > Re. the audio level, it could be x-lite, I am not keen on softphones, it's
    > ok from my phones here, just a thought.

    I downloaded X-lite courtesy of Sipgate. A bit hit & miss so I've been
    lurking on this NG for a few weeks, took the plunge and ordered a Sipura
    ATA. I'm hoping it will be an improvement over softphones, but expect to
    see a few questions for me on configuring the thing when it finally arrives.

    --
    Nick B.

    Nick B., Mar 1, 2006
  10. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Nick B." <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I downloaded X-lite courtesy of Sipgate. A bit hit & miss
    > so I've been lurking on this NG for a few weeks, took the
    > plunge and ordered a Sipura ATA. I'm hoping it will be an
    > improvement over softphones, but expect to see a few
    > questions for me on configuring the thing when it finally
    > arrives.

    No problems, I think I have most of the UK-specific ones written down
    somewhere.

    I may see if I can crank up the audio gain on the PABX outside line card
    that the clock uses. The clock is actually an extension on my PABX with a
    dedicated exchange line card (plugged into a Sipura SPA-2000) mapped to
    it, so it may be possible.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 1, 2006
  11. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Just tried several test calls on my 3 Sipgate lines, to/from other Sipgate
    > numbers, the PSTN and a Gradwell number, all went through first time with
    > no problems, so maybe they are finally getting things done. We can but
    > hope, anyway..!
    >
    > Incidentally, if anyone wants a Sipgate number to make some test calls to,
    > my speaking clock on 1431320 (020 7043 1320 from PSTN) is feeling a little
    > neglected ;-)
    >
    > Ivor

    I must be the only person who didn't really have any problems with them
    then.

    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 2, 2006
  12. Ivor Jones

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 20:34:13 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    >wrote in message
    >> Thus spaketh Nick B.:

    >> > Takes me back a few years since it had that voice!
    >> > Just called from my sipgate number using X-lite and the
    >> > audio level seemed a bit low...

    >> I too have noticed the low audio level on the speaking
    >> clock.

    >Not sure why that is, sounds ok to me, even calling through Sipgate and
    >not direct. I'll have a look but I don't think there is much I can do with
    >it.

    I just tried a couple of calls and got one ring, then just silence. If
    its a low level problem then its *very* low level because I could hear
    nothing at all. Calls made at 11:06am and 11:07am Friday.

    Chris

    Chris Blunt, Mar 3, 2006
  13. "Chris Blunt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 20:34:13 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    >>wrote in message
    >>> Thus spaketh Nick B.:

    >>> I too have noticed the low audio level on the speaking
    >>> clock.

    >>Not sure why that is, sounds ok to me, even calling through Sipgate and
    >>not direct. I'll have a look but I don't think there is much I can do with
    >>it.

    > I just tried a couple of calls and got one ring, then just silence. If
    > its a low level problem then its *very* low level because I could hear
    > nothing at all. Calls made at 11:06am and 11:07am Friday.
    >
    > Chris

    yes it seems to have gone back to normal today- some calls not connecting on
    first attempt and sometimes no ring tone - yesterday worked almost
    flawlessly.

    Roger Barrett, Mar 3, 2006
  14. Ivor Jones

    Dellboy Guest

    "Roger Barrett" <> wrote in message
    > yes it seems to have gone back to normal today- some calls not connecting
    > on first attempt and sometimes no ring tone

    Yep same here, Oh well :0(

    Dellboy, Mar 3, 2006
  15. Ivor Jones

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:30:45 GMT, "Roger Barrett"
    <> wrote:

    >"Chris Blunt" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 20:34:13 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    >>>wrote in message

    >>>Not sure why that is, sounds ok to me, even calling through Sipgate and
    >>>not direct. I'll have a look but I don't think there is much I can do with
    >>>it.

    >> I just tried a couple of calls and got one ring, then just silence. If
    >> its a low level problem then its *very* low level because I could hear
    >> nothing at all. Calls made at 11:06am and 11:07am Friday.
    >>
    >> Chris

    >yes it seems to have gone back to normal today- some calls not connecting on
    >first attempt and sometimes no ring tone - yesterday worked almost
    >flawlessly.

    Actually I was referring specifically to Ivor's speaking clock there,
    not to Sipgate calls in general.

    Chris

    Chris Blunt, Mar 3, 2006
  16. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    > "Chris Blunt" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > > I just tried a couple of calls and got one ring, then
    > > just silence. If its a low level problem then its
    > > *very* low level because I could hear nothing at all.
    > > Calls made at 11:06am and 11:07am Friday.

    > yes it seems to have gone back to normal today- some
    > calls not connecting on first attempt and sometimes no
    > ring tone - yesterday worked almost flawlessly.

    Fine here, just tried a couple of calls from my other Sipgate lines,
    connected ok. Yes the audio is a little on the low side, I've increased
    the FSX port gain on the Sipura so try again and see if it's any better.
    It seems a little better to me, but maybe that's psychological..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 3, 2006
  17. Ivor Jones

    <> wrote:

    >Just tried several test calls on my 3 Sipgate lines, to/from other Sipgate
    >numbers, the PSTN and a Gradwell number, all went through first time with
    >no problems, so maybe they are finally getting things done. We can but
    >hope, anyway..!
    >
    >Incidentally, if anyone wants a Sipgate number to make some test calls to,
    >my speaking clock on 1431320 (020 7043 1320 from PSTN) is feeling a little
    >neglected ;-)

    What software/hardware are you using to run the speaking clock?

    , Mar 5, 2006
  18. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > What software/hardware are you using to run the speaking
    > clock?

    It's a variant of this:

    http://www.sigtel.com/tel_info_tim2000.html

    The TIM2000 was a standalone unit, the TIM2004 which I use is a card that
    plugs into the London 16 PABX
    (http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/london16.htm) that runs my internal
    phone system.

    More info on my site here: http://www.g6urp.co.uk/tim2004.htm where there
    are some links to the history of the GPO speaking clock.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 5, 2006