    --
    Les Desser
    (The Reply-to address IS valid)

    Les Desser, Aug 17, 2006

  2. Les Desser

    alexd Guest

    Les Desser wrote:

    > I just put some credit into my Sipgate account for the first time and
    > had to call 10200 from my sip line to obtain a security code to be able
    > to process the payment.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why this should be necessary. What are they trying
    > to stop?

    Credit card fraud, presumably by bots.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:28:59 up 23 days, 23:51, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.18

    alexd, Aug 17, 2006

  3. Les Desser

    Les Desser Guest

    In article <>, alexd <> Thu, 17 Aug
    2006 17:29:19 writes

    >Les Desser wrote:
    >
    >> I just put some credit into my Sipgate account for the first time and
    >> had to call 10200 from my sip line to obtain a security code to be able
    >> to process the payment.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me why this should be necessary. What are they trying
    >> to stop?

    >Credit card fraud, presumably by bots.

    Don't quite follow that.

    I can see that the need to call would eliminate the possibility of bots
    being involved, but I still do not see what type of fraud would be
    involved that could not be equally well done by a human.

    Les Desser, Aug 17, 2006
  4. Les Desser

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Les Desser" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > I can see that the need to call would eliminate the
    > possibility of bots being involved, but I still do not
    > see what type of fraud would be involved that could not
    > be equally well done by a human.

    It only ever needs to be done once, the first time you ever credit the
    account. Any further payments won't require a code.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 18, 2006
  5. Les Desser

    Les Desser Guest

    In article <>, Ivor Jones
    <> Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:33:18 writes

    >"Les Desser" <> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> I can see that the need to call would eliminate the
    >> possibility of bots being involved, but I still do not
    >> see what type of fraud would be involved that could not
    >> be equally well done by a human.

    >It only ever needs to be done once, the first time you ever credit the
    >account. Any further payments won't require a code.

    I accept that, but just like to understand what fraud (or other) is
    being stopped by having this requirement.

    Not something I will loose sleep over but just intrigued as to what harm
    can be done by anyone crediting an account with some money.

    Les Desser, Aug 18, 2006
  6. Les Desser

    PhilT Guest

    Les Desser wrote:

    > I accept that, but just like to understand what fraud (or other) is
    > being stopped by having this requirement.

    a stupidity check that you are putting the money on the right account ?

    Phil

    PhilT, Aug 18, 2006
  7. Les Desser

    Les Desser Guest

    In article <>,
    PhilT <> Fri, 18 Aug 2006 05:41:58 writes

    >Les Desser wrote:
    >
    >> I accept that, but just like to understand what fraud (or other) is
    >> being stopped by having this requirement.

    >a stupidity check that you are putting the money on the right account ?

    Possibly, but then I think it would be appropriate to do this on every
    top-up. The only cause for confusion I can think of is someone having
    several accounts, in which case the confusion could arise every time.

    Les Desser, Aug 18, 2006