    money to the account.

    --
    Michael Chare

    Michael Chare, Jan 10, 2008

  2. Michael Chare

    alexd Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:16:52 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

    > Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
    > Sipgate?

    What model is it? What software are you using? ISTR hearing grumblings
    that the Nokia SIP implementation doesn't work behind NAT.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:46:31 up 5 days, 9:10, 2 users, load average: 1.54, 1.56, 1.54

    alexd, Jan 10, 2008

  3. "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:16:52 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:
    >
    >> Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
    >> Sipgate?

    > What model is it? What software are you using? ISTR hearing grumblings
    > that the Nokia SIP implementation doesn't work behind NAT.
    >
    > --
    > <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    > 18:46:31 up 5 days, 9:10, 2 users, load average: 1.54, 1.56, 1.54
    > 2x Broadband/IT/Telecoms support positions in Newcastle city centre.
    > For more info call 0191 229 8870 and ask for Steve. No agencies.

    It is an E65 and it has the latest firmware which I updated today.

    --
    Michael Chare

    Michael Chare, Jan 10, 2008
  4. "Michael Chare" <> wrote in message
    > Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
    > Sipgate?
    >
    > The phone can establish a Wifi connection because the email works.
    >
    > I have done my best to enter the settings are per the sipgate website
    > following the Nokia instructions.
    >
    > I have the sipgate 'light' PC software (on my PC) and that can dial the
    > 10200 number to get a code for adding money to my account.
    >
    > One odd point I have noticed is that I get an error 916 when I try and add
    > money to the account.

    What a coincidence. I got the SIP Client in a Nokia E65 working today.
    However, I had to replace the Vodafone firmware on the phone with generic
    (non-Vodafone) firmware before it would work at all.

    I've seen some suggestions that Vodafone cripple the SIP client in the Nokia
    firmware so it only works when you connect via a Vodafone wireless access
    point.

    Piers Finlayson, Jan 10, 2008
  5. Michael Chare

    mr deo Guest

    > What a coincidence. I got the SIP Client in a Nokia E65 working today.
    > However, I had to replace the Vodafone firmware on the phone with generic
    > (non-Vodafone) firmware before it would work at all.
    >
    > I've seen some suggestions that Vodafone cripple the SIP client in the

    Nokia
    > firmware so it only works when you connect via a Vodafone wireless access
    > point.

    This may be correct, but they were just having Wifi disabled by default, I
    guess we might see why they are now allowing Wifi.

    mr deo, Jan 10, 2008
  6. "Piers Finlayson" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael Chare" <> wrote in message
    >> Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
    >> Sipgate?
    >>
    >> The phone can establish a Wifi connection because the email works.
    >>
    >> I have done my best to enter the settings are per the sipgate website
    >> following the Nokia instructions.
    >>
    >> I have the sipgate 'light' PC software (on my PC) and that can dial the
    >> 10200 number to get a code for adding money to my account.
    >>
    >> One odd point I have noticed is that I get an error 916 when I try and
    >> add money to the account.
    >>

    > What a coincidence. I got the SIP Client in a Nokia E65 working today.
    > However, I had to replace the Vodafone firmware on the phone with generic
    > (non-Vodafone) firmware before it would work at all.
    >
    > I've seen some suggestions that Vodafone cripple the SIP client in the
    > Nokia firmware so it only works when you connect via a Vodafone wireless
    > access point.

    I bought a SIM free phone which I am using with an old Virgin SIM, so I
    guess I am using the standard Nokia software.

    Having googled after alexd's reply I see that there have been problems
    operating behind NAT routers. I don't know if this is my problem. There
    have been promises by Nokia to have this fixed by now.

    Are you running behind a NAT router? What VOIP service provider are you
    using?

    --
    Michael Chare

    Michael Chare, Jan 10, 2008
  7. Michael Chare

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message <>
    "Michael Chare" <> wrote:

    > One odd point I have noticed is that I get an error 916 when I try and add
    > money to the account.

    I had this too, and an Internet search shows that others have too.
    I contacted Sipgate and they fixed the problem.

    Dave

    Dave Higton, Jan 10, 2008
  8. "Michael Chare" <> wrote in message
    > "Piers Finlayson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Michael Chare" <> wrote in message
    >>> Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
    >>> Sipgate?
    >>>
    >>> The phone can establish a Wifi connection because the email works.
    >>>
    >>> I have done my best to enter the settings are per the sipgate website
    >>> following the Nokia instructions.
    >>>
    >>> I have the sipgate 'light' PC software (on my PC) and that can dial the
    >>> 10200 number to get a code for adding money to my account.
    >>>
    >>> One odd point I have noticed is that I get an error 916 when I try and
    >>> add money to the account.
    >>>

    >> What a coincidence. I got the SIP Client in a Nokia E65 working today.
    >> However, I had to replace the Vodafone firmware on the phone with generic
    >> (non-Vodafone) firmware before it would work at all.
    >>
    >> I've seen some suggestions that Vodafone cripple the SIP client in the
    >> Nokia firmware so it only works when you connect via a Vodafone wireless
    >> access point.

    > I bought a SIM free phone which I am using with an old Virgin SIM, so I
    > guess I am using the standard Nokia software.
    >
    > Having googled after alexd's reply I see that there have been problems
    > operating behind NAT routers. I don't know if this is my problem. There
    > have been promises by Nokia to have this fixed by now.
    >
    > Are you running behind a NAT router? What VOIP service provider are you
    > using?

    Yes I am behind a NAT router, but I'm using a proprietary (private) provider
    I'm afraid.

    If I get a chance I'll see if I can get it working with Sipgate tomorrow.

    Piers Finlayson, Jan 10, 2008
  9. In article <47866870$0$514$>,
    alexd <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:16:52 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:
    >
    >> Why might my Nokia VOIP mobile not be able to register itself with
    >> Sipgate?

    >What model is it? What software are you using? ISTR hearing grumblings
    >that the Nokia SIP implementation doesn't work behind NAT.

    The E90 works OK behind NAT, although I don't quite know how as I
    never gave it a STUN server, have no ports forwarded, not using uPNP,
    etc. ... Not had time to sniff the packets though, to see how it's
    doing it.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jan 10, 2008
  10. "Piers Finlayson" <> wrote in message

    > If I get a chance I'll see if I can get it working with Sipgate tomorrow.

    Thanks, I shall look forward to hearing the outcome! At the moment even the
    preconfigured Sipgate X-Lite PC software won't accept incoming calls (except
    once!)

    I only discovered the other day that you could get mobiles with VOIP as
    well, and I thought it would be useful on holiday as often hotels have WiFi
    networks.
    It is such a good idea if only it would work!

    --
    Michael Chare

    Michael Chare, Jan 10, 2008
  11. "Michael Chare" <> wrote in message
    > "Piers Finlayson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> If I get a chance I'll see if I can get it working with Sipgate tomorrow.

    > Thanks, I shall look forward to hearing the outcome! At the moment even
    > the preconfigured Sipgate X-Lite PC software won't accept incoming calls
    > (except once!)

    Worked a treat with sipgate - nothing special over and above the sipgate
    settings required. It does sound like you're having general network
    problems though - given your X-lite problems.

    Piers Finlayson, Jan 11, 2008
  12. "Piers Finlayson" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael Chare" <> wrote in message
    >> "Piers Finlayson" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> If I get a chance I'll see if I can get it working with Sipgate
    >>> tomorrow.

    >> Thanks, I shall look forward to hearing the outcome! At the moment even
    >> the preconfigured Sipgate X-Lite PC software won't accept incoming calls
    >> (except once!)
    >>

    > Worked a treat with sipgate - nothing special over and above the sipgate
    > settings required. It does sound like you're having general network
    > problems though - given your X-lite problems.

    Thanks for the info. Right now there is some fault within Pipex which has
    broken my ADSL connection.

    X-lite did work with a BTinternet dial up connection, whether this is
    because Sipgate have done something with my account after I complained about
    not being able to add money or because I am avoiding my Speedtouch 510 NAT
    router I don't yet know.

    It is nice to know that the phone should work though. Thanks for your help.

    --
    Michael Chare

    Michael Chare, Jan 11, 2008
  13. "Michael Chare" <> wrote in message

    Looks like my Speedtouch 510 is the cause of the problem. Google has found
    a couple of possible fixes but they look to be more than a 2 minute job to
    implement!

    --
    Michael Chare

    Michael Chare, Jan 11, 2008
  14. "Michael Chare" <> wrote in message
    > "Michael Chare" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Looks like my Speedtouch 510 is the cause of the problem. Google has
    > found a couple of possible fixes but they look to be more than a 2 minute
    > job to implement!

    Rings bells. I had to do something to my Speedtouch 546 before SIP would
    work through it. The Speedtouch does some horrible things to SIP packets.
    Off the top of I head I can't remember what I did, but I had to telnet into
    the thing and poke around until I turned the SIP ALG function off.

    Piers Finlayson, Jan 11, 2008