Sipgate Phishing scam found

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Ivor Jones, Mar 29, 2007.

  1. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    If anyone has had emails purportedly from Sipgate with the following
    content, they are phishing scams and are NOT from Sipgate. A friend has
    had two recently, one with an executable, so take care:

    >Dear Sipgate Member,
    >
    >We have temporarily suspended your email account
    >mailto:.
    >
    >This might be due to either of the following reasons:
    >
    >1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
    >2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
    >3. An innability to accurately verify your selected option of
    >subscription due to an internal error within our processors.
    >See the details to reactivate your Sipgate account.
    >
    >Sincerely,The Sipgate Support Team

    also

    >Dear user xxxxxx,
    >
    >It has come to our attention that your Sipgate User Profile ( x ) records
    >are out of date. For further details see the attached document.
    >
    >Thank you for using Sipgate!
    >The Sipgate Support Team
    >+++ Sipgate Antivirus - http://www.sipgate.co.uk

    I never heard of Sipgate Antivirus..!

    Please be on the lookout for this.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 29, 2007

  2. Ivor Jones

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:05:18 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >If anyone has had emails purportedly from Sipgate with the following
    >content, they are phishing scams and are NOT from Sipgate. A friend has
    >had two recently, one with an executable, so take care:

    YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN
[...]
    YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN

    -ip.co.uk, Mar 29, 2007

  3. Ivor Jones

    Rob Guest

    <-ip.co.uk> wrote in message

    > YAWN.....YAWN

    Now there's a surprise!

    Rob

    Rob, Mar 29, 2007
  4. Ivor Jones

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > If anyone has had emails purportedly from Sipgate with the following
    > content, they are phishing scams and are NOT from Sipgate. A friend has
    > had two recently, one with an executable, so take care:
    >
    >> Dear Sipgate Member,
    >>
    >> We have temporarily suspended your email account
    >> mailto:.
    >>
    >> This might be due to either of the following reasons:
    >>
    >> 1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
    >> 2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
    >> 3. An innability to accurately verify your selected option of
    >> subscription due to an internal error within our processors.
    >> See the details to reactivate your Sipgate account.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,The Sipgate Support Team

    > also
    >
    >> Dear user xxxxxx,
    >>
    >> It has come to our attention that your Sipgate User Profile ( x ) records
    >> are out of date. For further details see the attached document.
    >>
    >> Thank you for using Sipgate!
    >> The Sipgate Support Team
    >> +++ Sipgate Antivirus - http://www.sipgate.co.uk

    > I never heard of Sipgate Antivirus..!
    >
    > Please be on the lookout for this.
    >

    > Ivor

    Nothing new. Its the W32/Mytob virus that has been around since
    2005-ish. Any half decent AV package will find it and kill it.

    http://www.sophos.co.uk/virusinfo/analyses/w32mytobat.html

    Now, if you had posted the headers we might have been able to trace the
    source which would have been far more useful.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 29, 2007
  5. Ivor Jones

    Graham Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > If anyone has had emails purportedly from Sipgate with the following
    > content, they are phishing scams and are NOT from Sipgate. A friend has
    > had two recently, one with an executable, so take care:
    >
    >>Dear Sipgate Member,
    >>
    >>We have temporarily suspended your email account
    >>mailto:.
    >>
    >>This might be due to either of the following reasons:
    >>
    >>1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
    >>2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
    >>3. An innability to accurately verify your selected option of subscription
    >>due to an internal error within our processors.
    >>See the details to reactivate your Sipgate account.
    >>
    >>Sincerely,The Sipgate Support Team

    > also
    >
    >>Dear user xxxxxx,
    >>
    >>It has come to our attention that your Sipgate User Profile ( x ) records
    >>are out of date. For further details see the attached document.
    >>
    >>Thank you for using Sipgate!
    >>The Sipgate Support Team
    >>+++ Sipgate Antivirus - http://www.sipgate.co.uk

    > I never heard of Sipgate Antivirus..!
    >
    > Please be on the lookout for this.
    >

    > Ivor

    Hi Ivor,
    its W32/Zotob.J or one of its varients.
    This explains how it works, as you can see "Sipgate" can be replaced with
    any string gleaned randomly from the victims email "from" headers.

    http://www.protectorplus.com/virus_info/worms/zotobj.htm

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Mar 30, 2007
  6. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Nothing new. Its the W32/Mytob virus that has been around
    > since 2005-ish. Any half decent AV package will find it
    > and kill it.

    Almost certainly, as you say. But I hadn't seen the message text
    purporting to be from Sipgate before.

    > http://www.sophos.co.uk/virusinfo/analyses/w32mytobat.html
    >
    > Now, if you had posted the headers we might have been
    > able to trace the source which would have been far more
    > useful.

    Unfortunately I wasn't given them, only what you see, the emails were to a
    friend not me.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 30, 2007
  7. Ivor Jones

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Nothing new. Its the W32/Mytob virus that has been around
    >> since 2005-ish. Any half decent AV package will find it
    >> and kill it.

    > Almost certainly, as you say. But I hadn't seen the message text
    > purporting to be from Sipgate before.

    The domain name is a variable in the virus code, it just as easily been
    bbc.co.uk etc..

    >> http://www.sophos.co.uk/virusinfo/analyses/w32mytobat.html
    >>
    >> Now, if you had posted the headers we might have been
    >> able to trace the source which would have been far more
    >> useful.

    > Unfortunately I wasn't given them, only what you see, the emails were to a
    > friend not me.

    Then ask your friend for the headers.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 30, 2007
  8. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > > > Now, if you had posted the headers we might have been
    > > > able to trace the source which would have been far
    > > > more useful.

    > > Unfortunately I wasn't given them, only what you see,
    > > the emails were to a friend not me.

    > Then ask your friend for the headers.

    I have done so, awaiting reply.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 30, 2007
  9. Rob wrote:
    > <-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    > > YAWN.....YAWN

    > Now there's a surprise!

    It's only the Anti-Sipgate / Anti-Ivor idiot (Dexter)... Ignore him!

    Nick.

    The Last Outpost, Mar 31, 2007
  10. Ivor Jones

    -ip.co.uk Guest

    On 31 Mar 2007 09:12:44 -0700, "The Last Outpost"
    <> wrote:

    >Rob wrote:
    >> <-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > YAWN.....YAWN

    >> Now there's a surprise!

    >Anti-Ivor idiot (Dexter).
    >
    >Nick.

    Takes one to know one Nick and incidently it WAS Ivor who started the
    yawn stupidity but I fully intend to finish it and if you are anyone
    else dosen't like it tough .
    Now FOAD .

    -ip.co.uk, Mar 31, 2007
  11. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On 31 Mar 2007 09:12:44 -0700, "The Last Outpost"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > Rob wrote:
    > > > <-ip.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > > Now there's a surprise!

    > > Anti-Ivor idiot (Dexter).
    > >
    > > Nick.

    > Takes one to know one Nick and incidently it WAS Ivor who
    > started the yawn stupidity but I fully intend to finish
    > it and if you are anyone else dosen't like it tough .
    > Now FOAD .

    If only you would, Ron.....

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 31, 2007