Sipgate outage Sunday

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Ivor Jones, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    This has just been posted on the info page on Sipgate's website:

    > Sunday evening Sept 18, we experienced a problem where users could
    > not make outbound chargeable calls. Basically there was an interface
    > break where networks integrated with sipgate could not see if the user
    > had credit in the account and so would not complete the call. We have
    > fixed this by using multiple notifications for redundancy. This problem
    > should not occur again. We apologise for any inconvenience this may
    >have caused.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 22, 2005

  2. Ivor Jones

    Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:14:59 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >This has just been posted on the info page on Sipgate's website:

    Oh dear me I see Sipgate are at it again with their excuses for bad
    service thank God for Voipfone .
    , Sep 22, 2005

  3. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:14:59 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > This has just been posted on the info page on Sipgate's
    > > website:

    > Oh dear me I see Sipgate are at it again with their
    > excuses for bad service thank God for Voipfone .

    So a problem external to Sipgate was their fault..? How do you work that
    out..? Granted it perhaps should have been picked up on sooner but it
    wasn't directly their fault.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 22, 2005
  4. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > This has just been posted on the info page on Sipgate's website:
    >
    > > Sunday evening Sept 18, we experienced a problem where users could
    > > not make outbound chargeable calls. Basically there was an interface
    > > break where networks integrated with sipgate could not see if the user
    > > had credit in the account and so would not complete the call. We have
    > > fixed this by using multiple notifications for redundancy. This problem
    > > should not occur again. We apologise for any inconvenience this may
    > >have caused.

    > Ivor

    May be i read this wrong but it sounds like a third party network needs
    to look at the users account to see the balance firstly what the hell
    for and secondly the words security alert and data protection springs
    to mind

    Mat
    Mathew Curtis, Sep 22, 2005
  5. Ivor Jones

    Guest

    On 22 Sep 2005 07:11:45 -0700, "Mathew Curtis"
    <> wrote:

    >May be i read this wrong but it sounds like a third party network needs
    >to look at the users account to see the balance firstly what the hell
    >for and secondly the words security alert and data protection springs
    >to mind

    Sipgate is all excuses and no service half the time they come up with
    all kinds of excuses to try and hide their own incompetence Mat .
    , Sep 22, 2005
  6. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On 22 Sep 2005 07:11:45 -0700, "Mathew Curtis"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > May be i read this wrong but it sounds like a third
    > > party network needs to look at the users account to see
    > > the balance firstly what the hell for and secondly the
    > > words security alert and data protection springs to mind

    > Sipgate is all excuses and no service half the time they
    > come up with all kinds of excuses to try and hide their
    > own incompetence Mat .

    Dex, you complain when they say nothing and even when they do..! What on
    earth is going to satisfy you..?

    It's far more likely that any 3rd party network merely gets a yes/no as to
    whether the user has sufficient credit or not to make the call, they
    wouldn't need to see the exact balance nor any personal user details.

    Since the Germans have far stricter data protection laws than the UK (they
    even have auditors that go in to check compliance) I very much doubt any
    access to confidential data happens.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 22, 2005
  7. Ivor Jones

    Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:35:00 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >What on earth is going to satisfy you..?

    A service level that other providers give and I get from other
    providers I left Sipgate because they are totally incapable of
    providing that level of service .
    , Sep 22, 2005
  8. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:35:00 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > What on earth is going to satisfy you..?

    > A service level that other providers give and I get from
    > other providers I left Sipgate because they are totally
    > incapable of providing that level of service .

    You're complaining about the level of service from a company you are not a
    customer of..? That's rather a tall order..!

    BTW I notice you are only selectively replying to my post, what are your
    comments on the rest of it..? Also I am still waiting for your proof of
    the serious allegations you have made against me personally.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 22, 2005
  9. Ivor Jones

    Ian Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:14:59 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > > > This has just been posted on the info page on Sipgate's
    > > > website:

    > > Oh dear me I see Sipgate are at it again with their
    > > excuses for bad service thank God for Voipfone .

    > So a problem external to Sipgate was their fault..? How do you work that
    > out..? Granted it perhaps should have been picked up on sooner but it
    > wasn't directly their fault.

    Ok a few points.

    They say "networks" this means more than 1 so I would from that assume that
    the failed interface was theirs, secondly they should have had resiliancy
    in place and finaly monitoring this type of thing is very simple and should
    have been picked up almost straight away, Any network fault that stops
    service and more importantly REVENUE should be resolved ASAP and have been
    monitored.

    This is not knocking Sipgate this goes for any supplier of
    telecommunications, The thing with many of the VOIP suppliers, Is that they
    have come from the data arena and some seem a bit lax when it comes to
    resilancy.

    Ian
    Ian, Sep 22, 2005
  10. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Ok a few points.
    >
    > They say "networks" this means more than 1 so I would
    > from that assume that the failed interface was theirs,
    > secondly they should have had resiliancy in place and
    > finaly monitoring this type of thing is very simple and
    > should have been picked up almost straight away, Any
    > network fault that stops service and more importantly
    > REVENUE should be resolved ASAP and have been monitored.

    Indeed, I agree, but they say this has now been done, so hopefully it will
    be a one-off. It doesn't necessarily mean the interface was at their end
    though, it could have been midway between them and whoever; unlike BT,
    there are an awful lot of intermediate links in the chain on a VoIP
    connection. I don't know, I'm just speculating.

    > This is not knocking Sipgate this goes for any supplier of
    > telecommunications, The thing with many of the VOIP
    > suppliers, Is that they have come from the data arena and
    > some seem a bit lax when it comes to resilancy.

    They're not alone in that, but you're right.

    Anyway, with luck it's ok now. (Cue Dexter)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 22, 2005
  11. Ivor Jones

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Ivor Jones writes

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:35:00 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >> > What on earth is going to satisfy you..?

    >> A service level that other providers give and I get from
    >> other providers I left Sipgate because they are totally
    >> incapable of providing that level of service .

    >You're complaining about the level of service from a company you are not a
    >customer of..? That's rather a tall order..!
    >
    >BTW I notice you are only selectively replying to my post, what are your
    >comments on the rest of it..? Also I am still waiting for your proof of
    >the serious allegations you have made against me personally.

    For Christ's sake Ivor - give a rest, otherwise the kids will still get
    at you.
    David Floyd, Sep 22, 2005
  12. Ivor Jones

    peter Guest

    David Floyd wrote:
    > In message of Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Ivor Jones writes
    > >

    > ><> wrote in message

    > >> A service level that other providers give and I get from
    > >> other providers I left Sipgate because they are totally
    > >> incapable of providing that level of service .

    > >You're complaining about the level of service from a company you are not a
    > >customer of..? That's rather a tall order..!
    > >
    > >BTW I notice you are only selectively replying to my post, what are your
    > >comments on the rest of it..? Also I am still waiting for your proof of
    > >the serious allegations you have made against me personally.
    > >

    > For Christ's sake Ivor - give a rest, otherwise the kids will still get
    > at you.

    Hear hear - by now everybody knows who's got what axe to grind, and
    frankly my dear, we don't give damn :=) (about allegations or any other
    other not-pertinent BS). We are all looking forward to a garbage-free
    discussion group: a valuable resource for both newbies and veterans,
    but hitherto despoiled by a few brats. So please Ivor - don't reply to
    the garbage.
    peter, Sep 22, 2005
  13. Ivor Jones

    Mark Cohen Guest

    Brown, we have enough trolls in this group as it is. We don't need another.
    You only joined a couple of weeks ago? Then shut the hell up before you
    start and you might learn something in the bargain. Who are you to say that
    anyone is ruining this forum mister. Why don't you and Dex and Stefan go
    start uk.telecom.trolls or better yet uk.telecom.trolls.idiots (I'm sure you
    know the 3 moderators I think would be good).

    Incidentally, there is no 4 in forum.

    M.

    Mark Cohen, Sep 22, 2005
  14. Ivor Jones

    Guest

    wrote:

    >For Christ's sake Ivor - give a rest, otherwise the kids will still get
    >at you.

    David this Jones bloke is ruining this forum, I only joined the forum
    a couple of weeks ago and I am sick of Jones constantly backing up
    Sipgate and I know two of my friends have left the forum so far .
    I would suggest that he leaves before this fourum becomes none
    existent or get it re named uk.telecom.sipgate then we will all know
    where we stand .
    , Sep 22, 2005
  15. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:24:08 +0100, David Floyd
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > For Christ's sake Ivor - give a rest, otherwise the
    > > kids will still get at you.

    > David this Jones bloke is ruining this forum, I only
    > joined the forum a couple of weeks ago and I am sick of
    > Jones constantly backing up Sipgate and I know two of my
    > friends have left the forum so far .
    > I would suggest that he leaves before this fourum becomes
    > none existent or get it re named uk.telecom.sipgate then
    > we will all know where we stand .

    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You, Dex, Stefan etc. don't like
    Sipgate, fine, I couldn't care less and I doubt that Sipgate give two
    hoots either. However, constantly having a go at me just because I say I
    am satisfied with their service gets us nowhere. Other people are
    constantly saying how much they like Vonage, Voipfone or whoever, you
    don't see me slagging them off for it and I don't see you doing so,
    either.

    Treat everyone equally, ok..?

    By the way, this is a newsgroup not a forum, there's a difference.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 22, 2005
  16. Ivor Jones

    themgt Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You, Dex, Stefan etc.

    He IS Dex.
    themgt, Sep 22, 2005
  17. Ivor Jones

    themgt Guest

    Mark Cohen wrote:
    > Brown, we have enough trolls in this group as it is. We don't need another.

    and are the same person
    posting from freedom2surf and blueyonder respectively.
    themgt, Sep 22, 2005
  18. Ivor Jones

    Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:19:51 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:24:08 +0100, David Floyd
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >> > For Christ's sake Ivor - give a rest, otherwise the
    >> > kids will still get at you.

    >> David this Jones bloke is ruining this forum, I only
    >> joined the forum a couple of weeks ago and I am sick of
    >> Jones constantly backing up Sipgate and I know two of my
    >> friends have left the forum so far .
    >> I would suggest that he leaves before this fourum becomes
    >> none existent or get it re named uk.telecom.sipgate then
    >> we will all know where we stand .

    >Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You, Dex, Stefan etc. don't like
    >Sipgate, fine, I couldn't care less and I doubt that Sipgate give two
    >hoots either. However, constantly having a go at me just because I say I
    >am satisfied with their service gets us nowhere. Other people are
    >constantly saying how much they like Vonage, Voipfone or whoever, you
    >don't see me slagging them off for it and I don't see you doing so,
    >either.

    There are only 2 posters. Dexter is using one of his many aliases but
    not attacking me for once. The other one is using many aliases and
    usually attacks 'Dexter' on uk.people.disability but this time it
    suits his purpose to side with him. Just check google and you will see
    these aliases have no history. I know who they are though and they
    know it but I would prefer to leave it there and just have a peaceful
    and informative ng where voip can be discussed so please Dexter and
    Brown/Stefan just let sleeping dogs lie and stick to voip.
    pete
    , Sep 22, 2005
  19. Ivor Jones

    themgt Guest

    wrote:
    <snip>
    > please Dexter and Brown/Stefan just let sleeping dogs lie and stick to voip.

    (sigh)

    It's not really credible for Stefan and to be the
    same person as one posts from NTL in Rochdale and the other from
    Blueyonder in Preston.
    themgt, Sep 22, 2005
  20. Ivor Jones

    Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:55:35 GMT, themgt <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    ><snip>
    >> please Dexter and Brown/Stefan just let sleeping dogs lie and stick to voip.

    >(sigh)
    >
    >It's not really credible for Stefan and to be the
    >same person as one posts from NTL in Rochdale and the other from
    >Blueyonder in Preston.

    Dexter and his partner live near Preston. The other poster lives in
    Hampshire but has access to servers at NTL. He has posted in Dexters
    style to throw folks off the scent IMO. However Dexter and the other
    poster are both known for the number of ISP's they use and the
    different names too.
    pete
    , Sep 23, 2005