    to? Does anyone know if I can claim my credit back from them, as I am
    wanting to move to another company who (hopefully) can deliver a better
    service and I have around 22 quid on sipagte last time I looked.

    Sass, Sep 6, 2005

  2. Sass

    Mr T Guest

    "Sass" <sass4488@nospam.532563.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Well I've been with sipgate now for a few months and I have to say that my
    > personal experience of the service is not a good one. It's been plagued
    > with lost calls, both outgoing and incoming and last night I had three
    > silent calls close together, which appeared to have no-one there at the
    > other end, but after I logged into their website, the calls turned out to
    > be my sister trying to call me. Three calls she made, and all three were
    > silent both ways. Hey and I'd better not mention that crazy voicemail too
    > much, it continues to talk to me in German/English/Male/Female all at the
    > same time : (
    >
    > Cant they be bothered to sort out their problems, or are they just not
    > able to? Does anyone know if I can claim my credit back from them, as I
    > am wanting to move to another company who (hopefully) can deliver a better
    > service and I have around 22 quid on sipagte last time I looked.

    get out befor eit goes tits up, or maybe eyevor jones could help you as he
    is associated directly with the company as eyevor himself has freely
    admitted.

    "Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."

    Mr T, Sep 6, 2005

  3. Sass

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sass" <sass4488@nospam.532563.com> wrote in message
    > Well I've been with sipgate now for a few months and I
    > have to say that my personal experience of the service is
    > not a good one. It's been plagued with lost calls, both
    > outgoing and incoming and last night I had three silent
    > calls close together, which appeared to have no-one there
    > at the other end, but after I logged into their website,
    > the calls turned out to be my sister trying to call me. Three calls she
    > made, and all three were silent both
    > ways. Hey and I'd better not mention that crazy voicemail
    > too much, it continues to talk to me in
    > German/English/Male/Female all at the same time : (
    > Cant they be bothered to sort out their problems, or are
    > they just not able to? Does anyone know if I can claim
    > my credit back from them, as I am wanting to move to
    > another company who (hopefully) can deliver a better
    > service and I have around 22 quid on sipagte last time I
    > looked.

    Can you give more details of the equipment used at both ends..? Were the
    calls Sipgate to Sipgate or were the incoming calls from the PSTN..? Are
    you or the other person using softphones (PC's) or hardware, i.e. IP
    phones or ATA's with landline phones plugged in..?

    Lack of audio and one-way audio are more often than not the reault of
    misconfiguration, particularly port forwarding. I had this problem when I
    first started until I figured out that my router was not compatible. After
    I changed it I had no major problems at all.

    I agree about the voicemail, but despite its language difficulties it does
    work, in that it saves messages if you're offline or can't get to the
    phone.

    Please let me know if you want to do any direct tests, I may be able to
    help once I know the hardware/software situation.

    Ivor

    (PS take no notice of Stefan)

    Ivor Jones, Sep 6, 2005
  4. Sass

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:54:34 +0100, "Sass" <sass4488@nospam.532563.com>
    wrote:

    >Well I've been with sipgate now for a few months and I have to say that my
    >personal experience of the service is not a good one. It's been plagued
    >with lost calls, both outgoing and incoming and last night I had three
    >silent calls close together, which appeared to have no-one there at the
    >other end, but after I logged into their website, the calls turned out to be
    >my sister trying to call me. Three calls she made, and all three were
    >silent both ways. Hey and I'd better not mention that crazy voicemail too
    >much, it continues to talk to me in German/English/Male/Female all at the
    >same time : (
    >
    >Cant they be bothered to sort out their problems, or are they just not able
    >to? Does anyone know if I can claim my credit back from them, as I am
    >wanting to move to another company who (hopefully) can deliver a better
    >service and I have around 22 quid on sipagte last time I looked.

    Your experience is not unusual. If you look among the postings on this
    group you would be pressed to find a good word about Sipgate other
    than their free geographic numbers. However, if they don't work a lot
    of the time what use are they.
    I spent a great deal of time trying to get my ATA going with Sipgate -
    it really wasn't worth it.
    I have just gone on to voipfone.co.uk.
    I set up the ATA with the settings they recommend and it worked
    straight away. They have a good reputation for reliability on this
    group. They have a good voice mail system, call waiting and caller
    display as standard.
    You can choose to have a geographic number for £2/month.
    However, if you choose to have an free 0506 number then that can be
    dialled for the same cost as a standard geographic number on 18866 -
    most of my friends have that so no problem.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Sep 6, 2005
  5. Sass

    Mr T Guest

    eyevor will be asking for details as he works fro sipgate

    "Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."

    Mr T, Sep 6, 2005
  6. Sass

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Mr T" <> wrote in message
    > eyevor will be asking for details as he works fro sipgate

    I'm trying to help, why don't you do something positive for a change,
    Stefan..?

    Ivor (note the Capital I at the start)

    Ivor Jones, Sep 6, 2005
  7. Sass

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:54:34 +0100, "Sass"
    > <sass4488@nospam.532563.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Well I've been with sipgate now for a few months and I
    > > have to say that my personal experience of the service
    > > is not a good one. It's been plagued with lost calls,
    > > both outgoing and incoming and last night I had three
    > > silent calls close together, which appeared to have
    > > no-one there at the other end, but after I logged into
    > > their website, the calls turned out to be my sister
    > > trying to call me. Three calls she made, and all three
    > > were silent both ways. Hey and I'd better not mention
    > > that crazy voicemail too much, it continues to talk to
    > > me in German/English/Male/Female all at the same time :
    > > (
    > >
    > > Cant they be bothered to sort out their problems, or
    > > are they just not able to? Does anyone know if I can
    > > claim my credit back from them, as I am wanting to move
    > > to another company who (hopefully) can deliver a better
    > > service and I have around 22 quid on sipagte last time
    > > I looked.
    > >

    > Your experience is not unusual. If you look among the
    > postings on this group you would be pressed to find a
    > good word about Sipgate other than their free geographic
    > numbers. However, if they don't work a lot of the time
    > what use are they.

    They work 99% of the time for me. Stefan and Dex will have you believe
    it's because I have a connection with them or even work for them (I don't)
    but even if I did, do they supply a separate working network for just a
    few people..?!

    > I spent a great deal of time trying to get my ATA going
    > with Sipgate - it really wasn't worth it.

    I'd be interested to know what problems. Most issues are down to
    misconfiguration. I had almighty problems with Sipgate when I first
    started, it took me weeks to find out it was my router that was
    incompatible, after I replaced it I had no major problems at all, that was
    a year ago. Yes, Sipgate have had more than their fair share of troubles
    with outages, etc (several of which were caused by problems elsewhere in
    the network, not within Sipgate) but other systems aren't faultless
    either, despite what Stefan says about Vonage..!

    > I have just gone on to voipfone.co.uk.
    > I set up the ATA with the settings they recommend and it
    > worked straight away. They have a good reputation for
    > reliability on this group. They have a good voice mail
    > system, call waiting and caller display as standard.
    > You can choose to have a geographic number for £2/month.
    > However, if you choose to have an free 0506 number then
    > that can be dialled for the same cost as a standard
    > geographic number on 18866 - most of my friends have that
    > so no problem.

    A lot of people, myself included, don't like non-geographic numbers. Are
    these 0506 numbers charged at the same rate as a normal landline number
    from BT or Telewest *without* using any callthrough service..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 6, 2005
  8. Sass

    Sass Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > A lot of people, myself included, don't like non-geographic numbers.

    > Ivor

    I'm not too keen on the poor service from Sipgate either : (

    Sass, Sep 6, 2005
  9. Sass

    Anon Y Mous Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
> [...]

    > the network, not within Sipgate) but other systems aren't faultless
    > either, despite what Stefan says about Vonage..!
    >

    >>I have just gone on to voipfone.co.uk.
    >>I set up the ATA with the settings they recommend and it
    >>worked straight away. They have a good reputation for
    >>reliability on this group. They have a good voice mail
    >>system, call waiting and caller display as standard.
    >>You can choose to have a geographic number for £2/month.
    >>However, if you choose to have an free 0506 number then
    >>that can be dialled for the same cost as a standard
    >>geographic number on 18866 - most of my friends have that
    >>so no problem.

    > A lot of people, myself included, don't like non-geographic numbers. Are
    > these 0506 numbers charged at the same rate as a normal landline number
    > from BT or Telewest *without* using any callthrough service..?

    From BT yes, I'm not sure about the others

    Anon Y Mous, Sep 6, 2005
  10. Sass

    Anon Y Mous Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > Ivor (note the Capital I at the start)

    I was wondering how long it would take before you reacted! Surely the
    best way to deal with someone like that is to ignore them

    Anon Y Mous, Sep 6, 2005
  11. Sass

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Anon Y Mous" <..@..> wrote in message
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > Ivor (note the Capital I at the start)

    > I was wondering how long it would take before you
    > reacted! Surely the best way to deal with someone like
    > that is to ignore them

    True, but sometimes Stefan-baiting is fun ;-)

    I know, I know, this is my last word on it (for now..!)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 6, 2005
  12. Sass

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sass" <sass4488@nospam.532563.com> wrote in message
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > > A lot of people, myself included, don't like
    > > non-geographic numbers.

    > > Ivor

    > I'm not too keen on the poor service from Sipgate either
    > : (

    So tell me more and I may be able to help. Like I said, most problems stem
    from misconfiguration. I had terrible problems with them but I persevered
    and sorted most of them and I have a reasonably reliable service, and
    despite what some would have you believe I don't work for them.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 6, 2005
  13. On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:16:42 +0100, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >If you look among the postings on this
    >group you would be pressed to find a good word about Sipgate other
    >than their free geographic numbers.

    providing you have Ivor in your killfile ?

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Sep 6, 2005
  14. Thus spaketh Sass:
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> A lot of people, myself included, don't like non-geographic numbers.

    >> Ivor

    > I'm not too keen on the poor service from Sipgate either : (

    I never get any of these problems others 'seem' to have.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 6, 2005
  15. Sass

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:53:02 +0100, Anon Y Mous <..@..> wrote:

    >Ivor Jones wrote:
    >> "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    >>>Your experience is not unusual. If you look among the
    >>>postings on this group you would be pressed to find a
    >>>good word about Sipgate other than their free geographic
    >>>numbers. However, if they don't work a lot of the time
    >>>what use are they.

    >> They work 99% of the time for me. Stefan and Dex will have you believe
    >> it's because I have a connection with them or even work for them (I don't)
    >> but even if I did, do they supply a separate working network for just a
    >> few people..?!
    >>

    >>>I spent a great deal of time trying to get my ATA going
    >>>with Sipgate - it really wasn't worth it.

    >> I'd be interested to know what problems. Most issues are down to
    >> misconfiguration. I had almighty problems with Sipgate when I first
    >> started, it took me weeks to find out it was my router that was
    >> incompatible, after I replaced it I had no major problems at all, that was
    >> a year ago. Yes, Sipgate have had more than their fair share of troubles
    >> with outages, etc (several of which were caused by problems elsewhere in
    >> the network, not within Sipgate) but other systems aren't faultless
    >> either, despite what Stefan says about Vonage..!
    >>

    >>>I have just gone on to voipfone.co.uk.
    >>>I set up the ATA with the settings they recommend and it
    >>>worked straight away. They have a good reputation for
    >>>reliability on this group. They have a good voice mail
    >>>system, call waiting and caller display as standard.
    >>>You can choose to have a geographic number for £2/month.
    >>>However, if you choose to have an free 0506 number then
    >>>that can be dialled for the same cost as a standard
    >>>geographic number on 18866 - most of my friends have that
    >>>so no problem.

    >> A lot of people, myself included, don't like non-geographic numbers. Are
    >> these 0506 numbers charged at the same rate as a normal landline number
    >> from BT or Telewest *without* using any callthrough service..?
    >>
    >> Ivor
    >>

    > From BT yes, I'm not sure about the others

    TW charge exactly the same as BT. However, I thought that the charges
    were a little more on BT than stasndard landline. Charges are approx
    5/2/1 p/min.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Sep 6, 2005
  16. Sass

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message news:
    > Thus spaketh Sass:
    > > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > > > A lot of people, myself included, don't like
    > > > non-geographic numbers.

    > > > Ivor

    > > I'm not too keen on the poor service from Sipgate
    > > either : (

    > I never get any of these problems others 'seem' to have.

    You don't work for them as well as me, do you..?! ;-)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 6, 2005
  17. Sass

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in
    message news:
    > On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:16:42 +0100, Brian A
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > If you look among the postings on this
    > > group you would be pressed to find a good word about
    > > Sipgate other than their free geographic numbers.

    > providing you have Ivor in your killfile ?
    >
    > Phil

    Stefan keeps saying he's put me in his, but he keeps replying to me..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 6, 2005
  18. Sass

    Mr T Guest

    Sorry whos stefan

    "Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."

    Mr T, Sep 6, 2005
  19. Sass

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Mr T" <> wrote in
    message news:AngTe.3223$
    > Sorry whos stefan

    The person using the IP address 81.110.218.193, proving you haven't
    killfiled me.

    That was 17 minutes from when you said you had.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 6, 2005
  20. Sass

    Mike Guest

    Mr T wrote:
    > Sorry whos stefan

    Duh! You are. Proof below. You need to do more than just change your
    email address and name. Try using a different IP address than the
    81.110.218.193 you always post from.

    From: "Mr T" <>
    Newsgroups: uk.telecom.voip
    Subject: Re: Sipgate, not delivering a relaible service here....
    Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:58:08 GMT

    Sorry whos stefan

    From: "Stefan Kaniuk" <>
    Newsgroups: uk.telecom.voip
    Subject: Re: VONAGE
    Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:31:35 GMT

    youre always afgainst things arent you-- i have seven lines and it took me
    10 mins to set up--if you dont like it dont moan--its certainly much better
    than all the other crap voip services

    Mike, Sep 6, 2005