Sipgate / NETGEAR TA612V

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Paul, Nov 27, 2005.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I'm thinking of getting a Sipgate free number and a NETGEAR TA612V adaptor,
    so as to be able to receive incoming calls and to make calls via a standard
    DECT phone plugged into the adaptor.

    Have at present a standard combined broadband 'modem' and integral router,
    capable of providing several wireless and several hard-wired network
    connections.

    Am I correct in thinking that the Netgear TA612V could be connected via a
    standard ethernet patch cable to one of the network sockets on the
    modem/router? Would an ordinary patch cable be adequate, if so?

    I read somewhere in the group that a UK-spec phone may not necessarily work
    properly in such a set-up (may not ring when an incoming call is received)
    as the equipment expects a US-spec phone. Is this the case (as I'm hoping to
    use a Binatone DECT phone) and is there a work-around if so?

    Any helpful comments appreciated (these things are not entirely clear in the
    online product literature).

    Regards,

    --
    Paul
    Paul, Nov 27, 2005

  2. Paul

    Martin² Guest

    Yes, std. patch cable, it may even be included ?
    Few (older ?) phones do not ring (due to different ways US and our phones
    are made to ring),
    but most do.
    Please note that the Netgear will be locked to sipgate, which could be
    problem at some time in the future.
    Perhaps Linksys PAP2 would be better bet (but don't buy a Vonage one - yes,
    locked to Vonage !).
    Personally I favour VoIP equipped routers, you get QoS and sometimes PSTN
    pass trough.
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Nov 27, 2005

  3. Paul

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking of getting a Sipgate free number and a
    > NETGEAR TA612V adaptor, so as to be able to receive
    > incoming calls and to make calls via a standard DECT
    > phone plugged into the adaptor.
    > Have at present a standard combined broadband 'modem' and
    > integral router, capable of providing several wireless
    > and several hard-wired network connections.
    >
    > Am I correct in thinking that the Netgear TA612V could be
    > connected via a standard ethernet patch cable to one of
    > the network sockets on the modem/router? Would an
    > ordinary patch cable be adequate, if so?

    The TA612V is not designed to plug into an existing router, it prefers to
    be the router itself and plug into a modem. They work fine with cable
    modems but I've known several people have problems with ADSL modems and
    routers.

    For your situation I would recommend a unit like the AVM Fritz!Box Fon
    which you can see on the shop page on Sipgate's site. They do both wired
    and wireless versions. They have a single ethernet port so you'd need an
    external switch to connect more wired devices, but they are cheap enough
    these days. There are two independent phone ports and the device will
    accept details of up to 10 SIP accounts, all with different providers if
    you like. They are not the cheapest around but they do work, I have had
    one in continuous use here for the last three months with no problems at
    all. I even have a Sipura 2000 plugged into the switch connected to the
    LAN port for an additional two numbers..!

    > I read somewhere in the group that a UK-spec phone may
    > not necessarily work properly in such a set-up (may not
    > ring when an incoming call is received) as the equipment
    > expects a US-spec phone. Is this the case (as I'm hoping
    > to use a Binatone DECT phone) and is there a work-around
    > if so?

    No problems with UK phones on any of my equipment, although if the
    impedance of the FXS port is configurable (as it is on Sipura ATA's) make
    sure it is set to UK spec 270+750||150nF.

    Ivor

    (replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)
    Ivor Jones, Nov 27, 2005
  4. Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm thinking of getting a Sipgate free number and a
    >> NETGEAR TA612V adaptor, so as to be able to receive
    >> incoming calls and to make calls via a standard DECT
    >> phone plugged into the adaptor.
    >> Have at present a standard combined broadband 'modem' and
    >> integral router, capable of providing several wireless
    >> and several hard-wired network connections.
    >>
    >> Am I correct in thinking that the Netgear TA612V could be
    >> connected via a standard ethernet patch cable to one of
    >> the network sockets on the modem/router? Would an
    >> ordinary patch cable be adequate, if so?

    > The TA612V is not designed to plug into an existing router, it
    > prefers to be the router itself and plug into a modem. They work fine
    > with cable modems but I've known several people have problems with
    > ADSL modems and routers.
    >
    > For your situation I would recommend a unit like the AVM Fritz!Box Fon
    > which you can see on the shop page on Sipgate's site. They do both
    > wired and wireless versions. They have a single ethernet port so
    > you'd need an external switch to connect more wired devices, but they
    > are cheap enough these days. There are two independent phone ports
    > and the device will accept details of up to 10 SIP accounts, all with
    > different providers if you like. They are not the cheapest around but
    > they do work, I have had one in continuous use here for the last
    > three months with no problems at all. I even have a Sipura 2000
    > plugged into the switch connected to the LAN port for an additional
    > two numbers..!
    >> I read somewhere in the group that a UK-spec phone may
    >> not necessarily work properly in such a set-up (may not
    >> ring when an incoming call is received) as the equipment
    >> expects a US-spec phone. Is this the case (as I'm hoping
    >> to use a Binatone DECT phone) and is there a work-around
    >> if so?

    > No problems with UK phones on any of my equipment, although if the
    > impedance of the FXS port is configurable (as it is on Sipura ATA's)
    > make sure it is set to UK spec 270+750||150nF.
    >
    > Ivor
    >
    > (replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

    I keep reading that 370+620||310nF is used in the UK.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Nov 27, 2005
  5. Paul

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
    wrote in message
    > Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:

    [snip]

    > > No problems with UK phones on any of my equipment,
    > > although if the impedance of the FXS port is
    > > configurable (as it is on Sipura ATA's) make sure it is
    > > set to UK spec 270+750||150nF.

    > I keep reading that 370+620||310nF is used in the UK.

    I was told the 270 setting, in any case that's what I use and I have no
    problems..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Nov 27, 2005