    X-Lite, at different locations been connected to the same account at the
    same time? Would this cause any technical problems? Would Sipgate care?
    Thanks in advance?
    Phil, Aug 3, 2007

  2. Phil

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Phil" <> wrote in message
    news:46b27379$0$24764$
    > I was wondering if Sipgate have a problem with lots of
    > devices namely X-Lite, at different locations been
    > connected to the same account at the same time? Would
    > this cause any technical problems? Would Sipgate care?
    > Thanks in advance?

    It depends on your definition of "lots" really..! I've never had a problem
    with two devices; the Fritz!Box is permanently connected at home, but when
    I'm away I'll either use my laptop with X-Pro or a Sipura 1001 and it
    works fine.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 3, 2007

  3. Phil

    Phil Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > "Phil" <> wrote in message
    >> I was wondering if Sipgate have a problem with lots of
    >> devices namely X-Lite, at different locations been
    >> connected to the same account at the same time? Would
    >> this cause any technical problems? Would Sipgate care?
    >> Thanks in advance?

    > It depends on your definition of "lots" really..! I've never had a problem
    > with two devices; the Fritz!Box is permanently connected at home, but when
    > I'm away I'll either use my laptop with X-Pro or a Sipura 1001 and it
    > works fine.
    >
    > Ivor

    We're probably talking about 10 X-Lite's being connected to the same account
    at the same time, maybe slightly more maybe less.
    Phil, Aug 3, 2007
  4. In article <46b27379$0$24764$>,
    Phil <> wrote:
    >I was wondering if Sipgate have a problem with lots of devices namely
    >X-Lite, at different locations been connected to the same account at the
    >same time? Would this cause any technical problems? Would Sipgate care?
    > Thanks in advance?

    SIP isn't designed to have more than 1 device connected to one account
    at any one time. I'm surprised it works at all - My suspicion is that
    the last device to register is the only one which will take incoming
    calls though.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Aug 3, 2007
  5. Phil

    mattpark Guest

    mattpark, Aug 3, 2007
  6. Phil wrote:
    > I was wondering if Sipgate have a problem with lots of devices namely
    > X-Lite, at different locations been connected to the same account at
    > the same time? Would this cause any technical problems? Would Sipgate
    > care? Thanks in advance?

    I have tested having both lines of my PAP2 ATA set-up with the same account
    and 3 PCs running X-Lite with the same Sipgate account.

    All 5 rang when called, and could be answered, taking a call on the PAP2 I
    could select call transfer and dial my own Sipgate number and the other
    available lines would ring and you could answer the call, you could also
    set-up 3-Way calling.

    --
    Items for sale: http://www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 3, 2007
  7. Phil

    Tim Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > SIP isn't designed to have more than 1 device connected to one account
    > at any one time. I'm surprised it works at all - My suspicion is that
    > the last device to register is the only one which will take incoming
    > calls though.

    Actually, SIP is definitely designed to have more than one device connected.

    Providing the SIP registrar can cope with forking the calls, then there
    is no problem. sipgate use SER, so probably no problem here (unless
    they have specifically disabled it).

    Usually, both phones will ring together.

    On the other hand, Asterisk can only really cope with 1 phone per account.

    Tim
    Tim, Aug 3, 2007
  8. In article <46b31f14$0$647$>,
    Tim <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> SIP isn't designed to have more than 1 device connected to one account
    >> at any one time. I'm surprised it works at all - My suspicion is that
    >> the last device to register is the only one which will take incoming
    >> calls though.

    >Actually, SIP is definitely designed to have more than one device connected.
    >
    >Providing the SIP registrar can cope with forking the calls, then there
    >is no problem. sipgate use SER, so probably no problem here (unless
    >they have specifically disabled it).
    >
    >Usually, both phones will ring together.
    >

    >On the other hand, Asterisk can only really cope with 1 phone per account.

    That's probably where my confusion is arising from then, but I did try
    multiple phones with a sipgate account some time back and it all went
    horribly wrong. Maybe things have changed in Sipgate since ...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Aug 3, 2007
  9. Phil

    Tim Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > That's probably where my confusion is arising from then, but I did try
    > multiple phones with a sipgate account some time back and it all went
    > horribly wrong. Maybe things have changed in Sipgate since ...

    Could be a nat problem or router ALG problem.

    Tim
    Tim, Aug 3, 2007
  10. In article <46b325b2$0$642$>,
    Tim <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> That's probably where my confusion is arising from then, but I did try
    >> multiple phones with a sipgate account some time back and it all went
    >> horribly wrong. Maybe things have changed in Sipgate since ...

    >Could be a nat problem or router ALG problem.

    At the time I tried, there was no NAT involved and no "clever" routers
    either... I was working in a place who had a real /24 routed to them down
    an E1 line fronted by a Cisco, but it was maybe a year back, and it was
    Sipgate, and TBH, I don't really care for them anymore. (Taking 3 days to
    answer what should have been a simple query email wasn't acceptable!) So
    I solved what I wanted to do with other means... (Which has let me into
    all sorts of other bother in the past year - some of which you know about :)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Aug 3, 2007
  11. Phil

    Phil Guest

    > I have tested having both lines of my PAP2 ATA set-up with the same
    > account and 3 PCs running X-Lite with the same Sipgate account.
    >
    > All 5 rang when called, and could be answered, taking a call on the PAP2 I
    > could select call transfer and dial my own Sipgate number and the other
    > available lines would ring and you could answer the call, you could also
    > set-up 3-Way calling.

    Sounds promising. I guess the only way to find out for sure is for me to try
    it and see.
    Thanks for the help everyone.
    Phil, Aug 3, 2007
  12. Phil

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in
    message news:46b2e6e7$0$31724$
    > In article <46b27379$0$24764$>,
    > Phil <> wrote:
    > > I was wondering if Sipgate have a problem with lots of
    > > devices namely X-Lite, at different locations been
    > > connected to the same account at the same time? Would
    > > this cause any technical problems? Would Sipgate care?
    > > Thanks in advance?

    > SIP isn't designed to have more than 1 device connected
    > to one account at any one time. I'm surprised it works at
    > all - My suspicion is that the last device to register is
    > the only one which will take incoming calls though.

    Sipgate to mention that their system allows it (although not sure of the
    number of acceptable devices) - it's called call forking - all registered
    devices will ring, the first to pick up will get the call. It's always
    worked for me with 2 or 3 devices, never tried 10 though.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 3, 2007
  13. Phil

    Tim Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > At the time I tried, there was no NAT involved and no "clever" routers
    > either... I was working in a place who had a real /24 routed to them down
    > an E1 line fronted by a Cisco, but it was maybe a year back, and it was
    > Sipgate, and TBH, I don't really care for them anymore. (Taking 3 days to
    > answer what should have been a simple query email wasn't acceptable!) So

    Possibly in the days before Sipgate upgraded all their servers and
    things started working nicely?

    Tim
    Tim, Aug 5, 2007
  14. In article <46b5b70a$0$645$>,
    Tim <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> At the time I tried, there was no NAT involved and no "clever" routers
    >> either... I was working in a place who had a real /24 routed to them down
    >> an E1 line fronted by a Cisco, but it was maybe a year back, and it was
    >> Sipgate, and TBH, I don't really care for them anymore. (Taking 3 days to
    >> answer what should have been a simple query email wasn't acceptable!) So

    >Possibly in the days before Sipgate upgraded all their servers and
    >things started working nicely?

    It was a year back, so very possibly. But taking 3 days to answer an email
    and not having a phone number (for a telco FFS!) wasn't acceptable...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Aug 5, 2007
  15. Phil

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in
    message news:46b602b5$0$24751$
    > In article <46b5b70a$0$645$>,
    > Tim <> wrote:
    > > Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > > > At the time I tried, there was no NAT involved and no
    > > > "clever" routers either... I was working in a place
    > > > who had a real /24 routed to them down an E1 line
    > > > fronted by a Cisco, but it was maybe a year back, and
    > > > it was Sipgate, and TBH, I don't really care for them
    > > > anymore. (Taking 3 days to answer what should have
    > > > been a simple query email wasn't acceptable!) So

    > > Possibly in the days before Sipgate upgraded all their
    > > servers and things started working nicely?

    > It was a year back, so very possibly. But taking 3 days
    > to answer an email and not having a phone number (for a
    > telco FFS!) wasn't acceptable...

    Minor points which are more than compensated for by amongst other things
    the lack of line rental. For an outlay of absolutely nothing you can have
    an incoming geographic number on any area code in the UK. Worth a little
    delay in reply to me.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 5, 2007
  16. Phil

    Tim Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > It was a year back, so very possibly. But taking 3 days to answer an email
    > and not having a phone number (for a telco FFS!) wasn't acceptable...

    You get exactly what you pay for :)

    I'm sure if it was economic to run a similar service (ie, no line rental
    charges) with a decent support desk whilst still breaking even, then I'm
    sure somebody would have done it by now.

    Tim
    Tim, Aug 5, 2007
  17. Phil

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    : : Gordon Henderson wrote:
    : : : It was a year back, so very possibly. But taking 3
    : : : days to answer an email and not having a phone number
    : : : (for a telco FFS!) wasn't acceptable...
    : : :
    : :
    : : You get exactly what you pay for :)

    I get an excellent service from Sipgate. I am willing to forego instant
    phone access to support for the lack of line rental. After all, if the
    system is working well, which it currently is, there is no need to call
    support. If I ever do want them, it's almost always for a minor issue
    which can wait a day or two for an email answer.

    If you want/need instant phone support, then as others have said, it'll
    cost you. It's up to you to decide if that cost is justified.

    : : I'm sure if it was economic to run a similar service
    : : (ie, no line rental charges) with a decent support desk
    : : whilst still breaking even, then I'm sure somebody
    : : would have done it by now.

    Indeed.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 5, 2007
  18. In article <>,
    Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    >"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in
    >message news:46b602b5$0$24751$
    >> In article <46b5b70a$0$645$>,
    >> Tim <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Possibly in the days before Sipgate upgraded all their
    >> > servers and things started working nicely?

    >> It was a year back, so very possibly. But taking 3 days
    >> to answer an email and not having a phone number (for a
    >> telco FFS!) wasn't acceptable...

    >Minor points which are more than compensated for by amongst other things
    >the lack of line rental. For an outlay of absolutely nothing you can have
    >an incoming geographic number on any area code in the UK. Worth a little
    >delay in reply to me.

    I know what you're saying, Ivor, I've heard you before, and I've even
    said myself that the service Sipgate gives is good - from a technical
    point of view. I still have a Sipgate account and use it from time to
    time to test various bits of hardware, etc on.

    At the time I was doing some consultation for a client and came to
    the conclusion that while it was OK for home use, it was going to be a
    complete no-no for a business service, and that was that, so I went
    elsewhere, and, er, setup and now run my own "sipgate" purely for my
    own business clients.

    (And I agree with Tim in that you get what you pay for - a client of
    mine had other issues with them recently when they tried to buy some
    hardware through them. It took 3 weeks to get a refund on their credit
    card when the items they ordered were clearly not in stock at the time
    of order. That's the trouble with bloody standard kit /mutter/grumble/
    give me locked-in, vendor only stuff, you can only buy from one supplier
    [preferably me] any day ;-)

    I'm also surprised you're not going down the "buy british" route,
    Ivor. All your call pennies going to a German company.. ;-)
    and sipgate.co.uk is still in Germany as far as I can see.

    Or maybe it's just because I live in Devon and have been assimilated by
    the whole buy local thing here. Burts crisps, Luscombe ginger beer,
    and Riverford vegetables, anyone?

    Still, it's Monday and the sun is shining and it's going to be a good
    week, I can tell!!!

    Cheers,

    Gordon
    (Guardian of the secret location of the Devonshire Custard fields :)
    Gordon Henderson, Aug 6, 2007
  19. Phil

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in
    message news:46b6d750$0$31727$

    [snip]

    : : I'm also surprised you're not going down the "buy
    : : british" route,
    : : Ivor. All your call pennies going to a German company..
    : : ;-)
    : : and sipgate.co.uk is still in Germany as far as I can
    : : see.

    Pennies, literally..! I think in the 3 years I've been on Sipgate (ever
    since they started in the UK) I've spent less than a tenner over three
    accounts..!

    As for British, well I do have a Gradwell account as fallback, which I
    took out when Sipgate were going through a bad patch, but it gets so
    little use now that I may cancel it. Although the number is well known and
    even though it's also a number from Magrathea I can't seem to port it, so
    I'll probably hang on to it. It's less than a fiver a month after all.

    In any case, I happen to like Germany. I've spent time in Düsseldorf
    (where Sipgate is based, although I've never been to their offices,
    despite one person in particular being convinced I work for them..!), it's
    a nice place and the beer is good..! They do what I need and that's it,
    really.

    : : Or maybe it's just because I live in Devon and have
    : : been assimilated by the whole buy local thing here.
    : : Burts crisps, Luscombe ginger beer,
    : : and Riverford vegetables, anyone?
    : :
    : : Still, it's Monday and the sun is shining and it's
    : : going to be a good week, I can tell!!!

    Hmm, I'm not so sure. I've got to go in to work this morning, boss is in a
    flap..! (I'm supposed to be on lates today starting 1800).....!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 6, 2007
  20. Phil

    alexd Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > I get an excellent service from Sipgate. I am willing to forego instant
    > phone access to support for the lack of line rental. After all, if the
    > system is working well, which it currently is, there is no need to call
    > support. If I ever do want them, it's almost always for a minor issue
    > which can wait a day or two for an email answer.

    Lets be honest - who's ever wanted to call Sipgate when they've had a
    problem, and found out in the end it was actually a Sipgate problem?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    15:26:56 up 19 days, 21:11, 3 users, load average: 1.83, 1.44, 1.11
    alexd, Aug 6, 2007