    Sipgate number?

    If so how? I can't get it to work.

    Thanks.
    Lars Homestead, Aug 28, 2009

  2. Lars Homestead

    Graham. Guest

    "Lars Homestead" <> wrote in message
    news:I4Plm.4761$2...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyonne know if it is possible to point an IPkall number to a UK
    > Sipgate number?
    >
    > If so how? I can't get it to work.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes, well no,l not directly.

    What I do is point the IPKall number at an Orbtalk account,
    then use pbxes.com to terminate the Orbtalk trunk and
    set an inbound route to forward calls to

    Alternitivly you could just answer the Orbtalk account directly,
    but Sipgate voicemail etc is nice to have.

    Did you see Ivor's recent post about Sipgate.COM?
    I have managed to get a US number I can use directly
    in a phone etc.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 28, 2009

  3. Lars Homestead

    R Johnson Guest

    On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:26:13 +0100, Graham. wrote:

    > Did you see Ivor's recent post about Sipgate.COM? I have managed to get
    > a US number I can use directly in a phone etc.

    I've not had the same luck - never got your proxy email :-(
    R Johnson, Aug 28, 2009
  4. Lars Homestead

    Graham. Guest

    "R Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:26:13 +0100, Graham. wrote:
    >
    >> Did you see Ivor's recent post about Sipgate.COM? I have managed to get
    >> a US number I can use directly in a phone etc.

    > I've not had the same luck - never got your proxy email :-(

    Its your poxy email, they keep bouncing!
    Only joking Richard.

    Here is it again in a different format for you and anyone else who needs it.
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/proxy.jpg

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 28, 2009
  5. Lars Homestead

    R Johnson Guest

    On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:23:23 +0100, Graham. wrote:

    > "R Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:26:13 +0100, Graham. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Did you see Ivor's recent post about Sipgate.COM? I have managed to
    >>> get a US number I can use directly in a phone etc.

    >> I've not had the same luck - never got your proxy email :-(

    > Its your poxy email, they keep bouncing! Only joking Richard.
    >
    > Here is it again in a different format for you and anyone else who needs
    > it. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/proxy.jpg

    Thanks - but it was a no-go here. The proxy aspect was not an issue in
    the end, I found plenty that could cope (Ultrasurf is useful - but
    windows based, so I threw it onto Virtual Box). The serious issue with
    proxies is that the sign up uses https - afair there is *not such thing*
    as an https proxy server, it would be a 'man in the middle'.That pretty
    much puts that to bed. In the end I just asked a friend in the USA if I
    could log in via his box and all was mustard. Sometimes it's the simple
    fix that solve the problem!

    Thanks Graham :)
    R Johnson, Aug 29, 2009
  6. Lars Homestead

    alexd Guest

    R Johnson wrote:

    > The serious issue with proxies is that the sign up uses https - afair
    > there is *not such thing* as an https proxy server, it would be a 'man in
    > the middle'.

    There certainly is such a thing. For example, I work in a branch office [or
    in the field], and use one at head office to access systems that can only be
    accessed from head office's public IP. Also, many organisations have
    policies in place that don't allow direct internet access from client
    machines, and use proxy servers to grant access.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    "If being trapped in a tropical swamp with Anthony Worral-Thompson and
    alexd, Aug 29, 2009
  7. Lars Homestead

    Graham. Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    >R Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> The serious issue with proxies is that the sign up uses https - afair
    >> there is *not such thing* as an https proxy server, it would be a 'man in
    >> the middle'.

    > There certainly is such a thing. For example, I work in a branch office
    > [or
    > in the field], and use one at head office to access systems that can only
    > be
    > accessed from head office's public IP. Also, many organisations have
    > policies in place that don't allow direct internet access from client
    > machines, and use proxy servers to grant access.

    We have a lot of customers that access the public internet via a
    common gateway. A regular complaint I get is when they can't
    sign up for a Hotmail account "You have exceeded the maximum
    number of signup attempts"

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 29, 2009
  8. Lars Homestead

    R Johnson Guest

    On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 14:40:52 +0100, alexd wrote:

    > R Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> The serious issue with proxies is that the sign up uses https - afair
    >> there is *not such thing* as an https proxy server, it would be a 'man
    >> in the middle'.

    > There certainly is such a thing. For example, I work in a branch office
    > [or in the field], and use one at head office to access systems that can
    > only be accessed from head office's public IP. Also, many organisations
    > have policies in place that don't allow direct internet access from
    > client machines, and use proxy servers to grant access.

    But this *breaks* end to end encryption for https and defeats the point
    of it :) anyone with access to the proxy can potentially sniff the clear
    data. It appears that this is now a 'feature'. Mmmm. http://wiki.squid-
    cache.org/Features/SslBump
    R Johnson, Aug 30, 2009
  9. Lars Homestead

    Paulg0 Guest

    "R Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 14:40:52 +0100, alexd wrote:
    >
    >> R Johnson wrote:
    >>
    >>> The serious issue with proxies is that the sign up uses https - afair
    >>> there is *not such thing* as an https proxy server, it would be a 'man
    >>> in the middle'.

    >> There certainly is such a thing. For example, I work in a branch office
    >> [or in the field], and use one at head office to access systems that can
    >> only be accessed from head office's public IP. Also, many organisations
    >> have policies in place that don't allow direct internet access from
    >> client machines, and use proxy servers to grant access.

    > But this *breaks* end to end encryption for https and defeats the point
    > of it :) anyone with access to the proxy can potentially sniff the clear
    > data. It appears that this is now a 'feature'. Mmmm. http://wiki.squid-
    > cache.org/Features/SslBump

    My uderstanding is that if https traffic is allowed through a proxy server
    it is simply tunelled through it untouched. Take a look at
    http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Understanding_SSL_bridging_and_tunneling_within_ISA.html
    for an example of this with ISA server

    Paul
    Paulg0, Aug 30, 2009
  10. Lars Homestead

    R Johnson Guest

    On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 06:05:51 +0000, Paulg0 wrote:

    > "R Johnson" <> wrote in message

    >>> There certainly is such a thing. For example, I work in a branch
    >>> office [or in the field], and use one at head office to access systems
    >>> that can only be accessed from head office's public IP. Also, many
    >>> organisations have policies in place that don't allow direct internet
    >>> access from client machines, and use proxy servers to grant access.

    >> But this *breaks* end to end encryption for https and defeats the point
    >> of it :) anyone with access to the proxy can potentially sniff the
    >> clear data. It appears that this is now a 'feature'. Mmmm.
    >> http://wiki.squid- cache.org/Features/SslBump

    > My uderstanding is that if https traffic is allowed through a proxy
    > server it is simply tunelled through it untouched. Take a look at
    > http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/

    Understanding_SSL_bridging_and_tunneling_within_ISA.html
    > for an example of this with ISA server
    >
    > Paul

    Forgive my stupidity - I was having a mad few moments. Of course you can
    proxy SSL. My confusion came from my time spent with a web filtering
    company where *filtering* the SSL was the issue, not the connecting or
    proxying itself. Derrrrrr. Just ignore me. It's my time of the month.
    R Johnson, Aug 30, 2009