Sipgate - I can't add credit to my account!

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Peter X, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    Hi all,

    First time I've tried to credit my Sipgate account, so _maybe_ I'm doing
    something wrong. I bunged in my Visa Debit Card number (note: *not* a
    credit card), the CVC number, etc. I left the "security code" box
    empty.... because I couldn't find out what it was for!

    I clicked next and it just said it couldn't credit my account and to
    contact support for further information.

    But I can't see how to contact support.

    Not massively impressed right at the minute! (that said, I'm not
    interesting in hearing from the sipgate-trolls either :p )

    --
    Cheers,

    Peter.

    Peter X, Oct 6, 2005

  2. Peter X

    Guest

    Just to the right of the security box on
    https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/kontoaufladen.php are the following
    words:

    "Before you can credit your account for the first time you'll have to
    call the sipgate number 10200 from your sipgate account and enter the
    provided security code".

    HTH,
    Stuart

    , Oct 6, 2005

  3. Peter X

    Guest

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:05:37 +0100, Peter X <>
    wrote:

    >But I can't see how to contact support.

    Email IS the only way to contact them and you could get an answer
    straight away or you could have to wait a week bit dodgy this late on
    in the week tomorrow is Friday and they will be jumping ship again
    until Monday .

    , Oct 6, 2005
  4. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:05:37 +0100, Peter X <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>But I can't see how to contact support.

    > Email IS the only way to contact them and you could get an answer
    > straight away or you could have to wait a week bit dodgy this late on
    > in the week tomorrow is Friday and they will be jumping ship again
    > until Monday .

    Yeah, I found where I could email them after -- the "contact/about us"
    link. Although I've held off since I'd posted here!

    Peter X, Oct 6, 2005
  5. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    wrote:
    > Just to the right of the security box on
    > https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/kontoaufladen.php are the following
    > words:
    >
    > "Before you can credit your account for the first time you'll have to
    > call the sipgate number 10200 from your sipgate account and enter the
    > provided security code".

    Cheers!! :)
    I must be blind not seeing that. And I've no excuse, because I do recall
    reading something about needing to do that on this group a few weeks
    back. [/me slaps self around the head]

    Anyway, I did that, and promptly got an error!

    "
    Error!

    An error has occurred. Please send an email to support with the error
    code \"902\" and your Sip-ID \"XXXXXXX\" to Support.
    "

    (I've X'ed out my Sip-ID). So I've emailed support..... the last word in
    the message, "Support", was meant to be a mailto: link, but it was broken!

    So, without wishing to feed the trolls, Sipgate does appear to be a
    little rough around the edges.

    I'll post back on this thread whatever the results are when I get a
    response. Most likely they'll just ask me to try it again.

    --
    Peter.

    Peter X, Oct 6, 2005
  6. Peter X

    Guest

    Peter,

    I thought I might try and replicate your problem. I called 10200 and
    got a 4 digit number. Entered it and got "error". Called again, got
    another 4 digit number and again error. Tried a third time with a third
    number and it worked!

    So Peter - you have cost me a tenner ... but persistance may bring
    reward. I was using a proper CC. Debit cards are not quite as
    international (remember we are dealing with deutchland) so that may be
    a complicating factor.

    Best wishes,
    Stuart

    , Oct 6, 2005
  7. Peter X

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Peter,
    >
    > I thought I might try and replicate your problem. I
    > called 10200 and got a 4 digit number. Entered it and got
    > "error". Called again, got another 4 digit number and
    > again error. Tried a third time with a third number and
    > it worked!
    >
    > So Peter - you have cost me a tenner ... but persistance
    > may bring reward. I was using a proper CC. Debit cards
    > are not quite as international (remember we are dealing
    > with deutchland) so that may be a complicating factor.

    It shouldn't be, I can't see any reason why a debit card shouldn't appear
    to online systems exactly as a credit card does. I've never once had a
    debit card refused on any online transaction, be it Sipgate or anyone
    else. In fact I've *never* used my CC online.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 7, 2005
  8. Peter X

    Guest

    On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 01:10:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Peter,
    >>
    >> I thought I might try and replicate your problem. I
    >> called 10200 and got a 4 digit number. Entered it and got
    >> "error". Called again, got another 4 digit number and
    >> again error. Tried a third time with a third number and
    >> it worked!
    >>
    >> So Peter - you have cost me a tenner ... but persistance
    >> may bring reward. I was using a proper CC. Debit cards
    >> are not quite as international (remember we are dealing
    >> with deutchland) so that may be a complicating factor.

    >It shouldn't be, I can't see any reason why a debit card shouldn't appear
    >to online systems exactly as a credit card does. I've never once had a
    >debit card refused on any online transaction, be it Sipgate or anyone
    >else. In fact I've *never* used my CC online.
    >
    >Ivor

    It took me four goes to get the Sipgate system to accept mine also I
    have found out in the last couple of days some systems will not except
    cards that are due to expire within three months Freetalk would not
    except my Visa Delta it expiries December but accepted my Electron
    expires June next year .

    , Oct 7, 2005
  9. On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 01:10:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >It shouldn't be, I can't see any reason why a debit card shouldn't appear
    >to online systems exactly as a credit card does.

    because its a debit card, so it has less functionality (car rental
    deposits come to mind) and is flagged up as a debit card. You'll see
    separate entry boxes on most online forms for debit cards.

    If its a Visa branded (delta) card then it'll probably be OK, but
    does Switch or Maestro exist in Germany ?

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))

    Phil Thompson, Oct 7, 2005
  10. Peter X

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in
    message news:
    > On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 01:10:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > It shouldn't be, I can't see any reason why a debit
    > > card shouldn't appear to online systems exactly as a
    > > credit card does.

    > because its a debit card, so it has less functionality
    > (car rental deposits come to mind) and is flagged up as a
    > debit card. You'll see separate entry boxes on most
    > online forms for debit cards.

    Not on any I've filled in (Amazon, Ebay, etc.)

    > If its a Visa branded (delta) card then it'll probably be
    > OK, but does Switch or Maestro exist in Germany ?

    It should still be accepted. Only in the USA have I ever come across a
    credit card being accepted but not a debit card, and that was only when
    hiring a car.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 7, 2005
  11. On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:28:07 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >It should still be accepted.

    why ? its the retailers choice what cards to accept.

    Plenty of web forms differentiate debit and credit cards - asking for
    Issue numbers and Start dates, for example.

    Maestro is part of mastercard and appears to be known in Germany
    anyway.

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))

    Phil Thompson, Oct 7, 2005
  12. Peter X

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in
    message news:
    > On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:28:07 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > It should still be accepted.

    > why ? its the retailers choice what cards to accept.
    >
    > Plenty of web forms differentiate debit and credit cards
    > - asking for Issue numbers and Start dates, for example.

    Hmm, I didn't see that as differentiating, but you could be right. Nobody
    has ever refused a debit card from me though, except as I said when hiring
    a car in the US, but that was in person not online.

    > Maestro is part of mastercard and appears to be known in
    > Germany anyway.

    My debit card is a Visa one.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 7, 2005
  13. On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:03:45 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >My debit card is a Visa one.

    which does overcome most issues.

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))

    Phil Thompson, Oct 7, 2005
  14. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    Peter X wrote:

    > I'll post back on this thread whatever the results are when I get a
    > response. Most likely they'll just ask me to try it again.

    Well, I got a "thank you for your email. We'll deal with it within
    48hours" confirmation email last night, and then I got 3 (yes, three!)
    emails this morning.

    08:43 "I will report Your problem to the responsible section. They will
    take care of it."

    09:01 Much the same email, but in German!

    09:08 "You should be able to credit Your account now. Please try it again."

    I just new they'd say that! Anyway, I've just done it and it all worked.

    The interesting thing is: I didn't have to dial 10200 or enter a
    security code! They seem to have dropped that, so I can only assume they
    were noodling around with the software yesterday and broke something, or
    perhaps I just caught it when they were mid-upgrade?

    So, it all works and after my being mean to Sipgate yesterday, it's only
    fair that I commend them on a swift resolution. :)

    Thanks for everyones help!!

    --
    Peter.

    Peter X, Oct 7, 2005
  15. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    Phil Thompson wrote:
    > On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 01:10:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>It shouldn't be, I can't see any reason why a debit card shouldn't appear
    >>to online systems exactly as a credit card does.

    > because its a debit card, so it has less functionality (car rental
    > deposits come to mind) and is flagged up as a debit card. You'll see
    > separate entry boxes on most online forms for debit cards.
    >
    > If its a Visa branded (delta) card then it'll probably be OK, but
    > does Switch or Maestro exist in Germany ?

    In the end (see my other post), it has all worked using the same
    Visa/Delta debit card, so they were presumably having "technical" problems!

    Just to concur with Ivor on this, normally I use my Visa/Delta debit
    card *exactly* as a regular CC -- the same boxes on forms and
    everything. As far as I know, it's only Switch (and I guess Maestro)
    that are a bit weird and require different information like the "issue
    number".

    As you rightly point out, the main draw back with a debit card is not
    being able to do that "pre-authorised" thing that car hire places do
    where they've basically authorised the payment of your deposit, without
    actually needing to draw it unless they need it.
    Apart from that though, debit cards are great!

    --
    Best regards,

    Peter.

    Peter X, Oct 7, 2005
  16. Peter X

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Peter X" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > The interesting thing is: I didn't have to dial 10200 or
    > enter a security code! They seem to have dropped that,
    > so I can only assume they were noodling around with
    > the software yesterday and broke something, or perhaps
    > I just caught it when they were mid-upgrade?

    The code from dialling 10200 should only ever be required once, when you
    first credit the account after having set it up, so perhaps the system
    remembered it from your previous attempts..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 7, 2005
  17. Peter X

    Peter X Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Peter X" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >

    >>The interesting thing is: I didn't have to dial 10200 or
    >>enter a security code! They seem to have dropped that,
    >>so I can only assume they were noodling around with
    >>the software yesterday and broke something, or perhaps
    >>I just caught it when they were mid-upgrade?

    > The code from dialling 10200 should only ever be required once, when you
    > first credit the account after having set it up, so perhaps the system
    > remembered it from your previous attempts..?

    Ah! I guess that must be it.

    Peter X, Oct 7, 2005
  18. Peter X

    TKD Guest

    > As you rightly point out, the main draw back with a debit card is not being able to do that
    > "pre-authorised" thing that car hire places do where they've basically authorised the payment of
    > your deposit, without actually needing to draw it unless they need it.
    > Apart from that though, debit cards are great!

    Until the card is used fraudulently. With a credit card the issuer has to
    do all the legwork and will immediately "limbo" all and any transactions
    you dispute, while with a debit card it is your responsibility to contact
    the police and then wait for the fraud to be confirmed before the money
    is returned and even then there is no guarantee you will recoup the total
    amount. Meanwhile your direct debits bounce or you are forced to apply
    for an "temporary" overdraft to cover it.

    TKD, Oct 7, 2005