Sipgate... Hardware options or an alternative

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Justin, Oct 5, 2006.

  1. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Hi.. I have browsed through this forum from time to time and the one
    before it.

    I know sometimes Sipgate is used as a swear word on this forum but for
    our particular use it is wonderful. The saving is considerable with no
    monthly charge or joining fee. Having just changed electricity/gas
    supplier I'm in the mood for checking out other household suppliers for
    cheap/better alternatives. Prior to Sipate we were paying over £50 a
    quarter in international calls. Our BT bills are now just line rental
    and the occasional local/national call.

    We took up a PC Format offer to join Sipgate and have used it for
    longer than I can remember and set up two geographical telephone
    numbers, both 01223 3. One is ours and the other we manage for my
    partners parents in Spain. The numbers are used primarily for England
    to Spain calls and allow both households to call each other at a very
    cheap rates, particularly from my partner's parents point of view as it
    enables them to call their friends and family in the UK and only pay
    the Sipgate national rate, having a UK geographical number.

    We do not do the Sipgate to Sipgate calls as it requires both computers
    to be on and, although our Sipgate works on our cordless DECT phones
    throughout the house, when our PC is on, theirs is only a mic/headset
    arrangement and their office is a long way from the living area.

    Is there any cheap hardware around that would enable a link into the
    existing 'house' telephone system that doesn't require a PC to be
    running somewhere. We both have multiple port routers and 3+ cordless
    DECT phones each.

    Thanks...

    Justin

    Justin, Oct 5, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    Justin <> wrote:

    >Is there any cheap hardware around that would enable a link into the
    >existing 'house' telephone system that doesn't require a PC to be
    >running somewhere. We both have multiple port routers and 3+ cordless
    >DECT phones each.

    An ATA.

    Ethernet one side, analog phone socket on the other. (Which you can
    plug a DECT phone into)

    Examples at:

    http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/adapters

    or

    http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Analogue VoIP Adaptors

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Oct 5, 2006

  3. Justin

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in
    message news:eg31s4$2k7$
    > In article
    > <>,
    > Justin <> wrote:
    >
    > > Is there any cheap hardware around that would enable a
    > > link into the existing 'house' telephone system that
    > > doesn't require a PC to be running somewhere. We both
    > > have multiple port routers and 3+ cordless DECT phones
    > > each.

    > An ATA.
    >
    > Ethernet one side, analog phone socket on the other.
    > (Which you can plug a DECT phone into)

    Or you can do what I do and plug the ATA outputs into spare exchange line
    ports on a PABX, but that's probably overkill for most people ;-)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 5, 2006
  4. Justin

    Scope Guest

    Justin wrote:

    >[snip]

    > Justin

    I would consider voip.co.uk aswell if I were you.. No monthly charge and
    option to join their £1.99 free UK phonecall option should you find you
    need to make more phone calls. You also get a free local area number,
    similar to sipgate.

    Scope, Oct 5, 2006
  5. Justin

    speckled hen Guest

    Scope wrote:
    > Justin wrote:
    >
    > >[snip]

    > > Justin
    > >

    > I would consider voip.co.uk aswell if I were you.. No monthly charge and
    > option to join their £1.99 free UK phonecall option should you find you
    > need to make more phone calls. You also get a free local area number,
    > similar to sipgate.

    Have you seen the answers I have been given in a previous post to
    yours?
    looks like we are looking for the same solution.

    speckled hen, Oct 6, 2006
  6. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Thanks for the interest everyone. Which is thread are you referring
    too?

    The ATA solution sounds expensive. I was kind of hoping that someone
    had brought out a more realistically priced model. At £50 thats
    equivalent to me running my PC for 800 hours of telephone calls.

    Are there any routers will this facility built in as I might be in the
    market for a new adsl modem/router?

    Justin, Oct 6, 2006
  7. Justin

    Tony Blare Guest

    On 5 Oct 2006 06:03:21 -0700, Justin wrote:

    >I know sometimes Sipgate is used as a swear word on this forum but for
    >our particular use it is wonderful. The saving is considerable with no
    >monthly charge or joining fee.

    I've never understood sipgate charging. Looking at their website
    suggests you need to sign up to sipgate 1000 @ £5.99 / month. Minutes
    can't be rolled over to another month. If you make a small number of
    calls, it doesn't sound like a good deal at all.

    Tony Blare, Oct 7, 2006
  8. Justin

    Herman Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    Thanks for the interest everyone. Which is thread are you referring
    too?

    The ATA solution sounds expensive. I was kind of hoping that someone
    had brought out a more realistically priced model. At £50 thats
    equivalent to me running my PC for 800 hours of telephone calls.

    Are there any routers will this facility built in as I might be in the
    market for a new adsl modem/router?

    £40 is the absolute cheapest with non-adsl router. Some at that price can
    be a bit challenging to set up though (avoid Grandstream for example)

    If you want an adsl router, you will need something like
    http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/avm_fritzbox_fon_for_dsl.

    If you also want wifi try
    http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/avm/fritzbox_fon_wlan. I have the one up
    from this but they operate on the same principles.

    Herman, Oct 7, 2006
  9. Justin

    Guest

    On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 00:43:56 +0100, Tony Blare
    <µçÓ°...@ÊÖúÁæ»åÉù?.invalid> wrote:

    >If you make a small number of
    >calls, it doesn't sound like a good deal at all.

    It isn't supposed to be a good idea from a customers point of view.

    , Oct 7, 2006
  10. Justin

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Tony Blare" <µçÓ°@ÊÖúÁæ»åÉù?.invalid> wrote in message
    > On 5 Oct 2006 06:03:21 -0700, Justin wrote:
    >
    > > I know sometimes Sipgate is used as a swear word on
    > > this forum but for our particular use it is wonderful.
    > > The saving is considerable with no monthly charge or
    > > joining fee.

    > I've never understood sipgate charging. Looking at their
    > website suggests you need to sign up to sipgate 1000 @
    > £5.99 / month. Minutes can't be rolled over to another
    > month. If you make a small number of calls, it doesn't
    > sound like a good deal at all.

    You don't *have* to use the 1000 minutes option, it's just that, an
    option. It's of use if you make that many minutes of calls in a month,
    otherwise it isn't..! Just pay as you go -
    https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php

    If most of your calls are to other Sipgate users, or to users of networks
    with a peering agreement, as mine are, then the calls will be free.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 7, 2006
  11. Justin

    Tony Blare Guest

    On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 02:13:09 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >You don't *have* to use the 1000 minutes option, it's just that, an
    >option. It's of use if you make that many minutes of calls in a month,
    >otherwise it isn't..! Just pay as you go -
    >https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php

    Ah, they don't make the non-sipgate1000 option terribly clear. So are
    you saying I can load my account with credit and then use up the
    credit on a pay as you go basis? If so, what's the minimum amount of
    credit I can add. Also will remaining credit run on indefinitely till
    it runs out (without the end of the month loss like sipgate1000)?

    I wish they would make the website clearer for those of us who might
    sign up but don't want the sipgate1000 option.

    Tony Blare, Oct 7, 2006
  12. Justin

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Tony Blare" <µçÓ°@ÊÖúÁæ»åÉù?.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 02:13:09 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    > > You don't *have* to use the 1000 minutes option, it's
    > > just that, an option. It's of use if you make that many
    > > minutes of calls in a month, otherwise it isn't..! Just
    > > pay as you go -
    > > https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php

    > Ah, they don't make the non-sipgate1000 option terribly
    > clear. So are you saying I can load my account with
    > credit and then use up the credit on a pay as you go
    > basis? If so, what's the minimum amount of credit I can
    > add. Also will remaining credit run on indefinitely till
    > it runs out (without the end of the month loss like
    > sipgate1000)?

    £10 and it lasts indefinitely, it will not run out. I still have credit on
    my accounts that was added when I opened them almost 2 years ago..!

    Note that on the *first* occasion that you credit an account, you'll have
    to call the sipgate number 10200 from your sipgate account and enter the
    provided security code. This only applies if using a credit/debit card.

    > I wish they would make the website clearer for those of
    > us who might sign up but don't want the sipgate1000
    > option.

    Hmm, can you explain why you thought it was required to use the 1000
    option..? I can't see anything that implies it's not merely an option. It
    says quite clearly on the tariff page on the left hand side "Tariff

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 7, 2006
  13. Justin

    Tony Blare Guest

    On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 08:20:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    >£10 and it lasts indefinitely, it will not run out. I still have credit on
    >my accounts that was added when I opened them almost 2 years ago..!
    >
    >Note that on the *first* occasion that you credit an account, you'll have
    >to call the sipgate number 10200 from your sipgate account and enter the
    >provided security code. This only applies if using a credit/debit card.

    Thanks, that is very helpful.

    >Hmm, can you explain why you thought it was required to use the 1000
    >option..? I can't see anything that implies it's not merely an option. It
    >says quite clearly on the tariff page on the left hand side "Tariff

    sipgate have a page called "tariffs" which is fine. However, there
    they give a link to "tariff options". When I read that I assumed it
    would contain ALL options for signing up on tariffs, but it only
    mentions sipgate1000. Therefore I assumed this was the only option
    available to sipgate customers (ie Hobson's Choice). I think it would
    help if they clearly stated that there are two options, viz PAYG or
    sipgate1000. Then under PAYG say something along the lines of your
    explanation above. Certainly, I've browsed sipgate pages and haven't
    found the PAYG option stated as clearly and lucidly as you gave above.

    Tony Blare, Oct 7, 2006
  14. Justin

    Joe Harrison Guest

    The Sipgate 1000 is actually pretty good if you think you will be home a
    lot. You can turn the 1000 on and off on a monthly basis so if I know I am
    going to be making an unusually large number of calls I activate it, then
    turn it off again next month for normal family usage. I mean anyway six quid
    is not like you have to make a big financial forecast.

    Joe Harrison, Oct 7, 2006
  15. Justin

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Joe Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > The Sipgate 1000 is actually pretty good if you think you
    > will be home a lot. You can turn the 1000 on and off on a
    > monthly basis so if I know I am going to be making an
    > unusually large number of calls I activate it, then turn
    > it off again next month for normal family usage. I mean
    > anyway six quid is not like you have to make a big
    > financial forecast.

    I've probably not spent much more than 6 quid on PSTN calls since I
    started on Sipgate two years ago, and that's spread over 4 accounts..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 7, 2006
  16. Justin

    Mark Ingle Guest

    Justin <> wrote:

    >The ATA solution sounds expensive. I was kind of hoping that someone
    >had brought out a more realistically priced model. At £50 thats
    >equivalent to me running my PC for 800 hours of telephone calls.

    If you don't mind being tied to Sipgate, Staples have the Netgear ATA on
    clearance (which unfortunately is locked to Sipgate) for under 30
    pounds. It does come with bundled minutes.

    Mark Ingle, Oct 9, 2006
  17. Justin

    Guest

    On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:18:03 +0100,
    (Mark Ingle) wrote:

    >Justin <> wrote:
    >>
    >>The ATA solution sounds expensive. I was kind of hoping that someone
    >>had brought out a more realistically priced model. At £50 thats
    >>equivalent to me running my PC for 800 hours of telephone calls.

    >If you don't mind being tied to Sipgate, Staples have the Netgear ATA on
    >clearance (which unfortunately is locked to Sipgate) for under 30
    >pounds. It does come with bundled minutes.

    You sure about this Mark I only ask because I have just trawled
    through the clearance pages and others besides on the staples site
    and found no mention of this item . This did not surprise me actually
    I never thought a UK supplier would stock any equipment that even
    mentioned the name of Sipgate, Staples don't even stock Vonage ATA's
    anymore .

    , Oct 9, 2006
  18. Justin

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:18:03 +0100,
    > (Mark Ingle) wrote:
    >
    > > Justin <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > The ATA solution sounds expensive. I was kind of
    > > > hoping that someone had brought out a more
    > > > realistically priced model. At £50 thats equivalent
    > > > to me running my PC for 800 hours of telephone calls.

    > > If you don't mind being tied to Sipgate, Staples have
    > > the Netgear ATA on clearance (which unfortunately is
    > > locked to Sipgate) for under 30 pounds. It does come
    > > with bundled minutes.

    > You sure about this Mark I only ask because I have just
    > trawled through the clearance pages and others besides on
    > the staples site and found no mention of this item . This
    > did not surprise me actually I never thought a UK
    > supplier would stock any equipment that even mentioned
    > the name of Sipgate, Staples don't even stock Vonage
    > ATA's anymore .

    They do, I have seen it in my local Staples. Being locked isn't a problem
    any more as Sipgate do now provide an unlocking option on their website.
    However doing this does mean you will not be eligible to tech support if
    you use it on Sipgate.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 10, 2006
  19. Justin

    Guest

    On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 01:43:49 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >They do, I have seen it in my local Staples.

    No ATA's of any description mentioned on their web site Ivor .
    and our local store doesn't have them anymore and now Vonage do not
    list any UK stockist's like they used to do .

    , Oct 10, 2006
  20. Justin

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 01:43:49 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > They do, I have seen it in my local Staples.

    > No ATA's of any description mentioned on their web site
    > Ivor .
    > and our local store doesn't have them anymore and now
    > Vonage do not list any UK stockist's like they used to do

    The website doesn't list everything. The Netgear boxes were on clearance
    so were probably taken out of the catalogue.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 10, 2006