    know if I'm right in thinking that this number can only be used from
    within Germany? If so, that will suit him fine but it will be no good
    him giving out the number to people outside Germany.

    Jupiter, Feb 16, 2007

  2. Jupiter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jupiter" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > A friend of mine has relatives in Germany so when
    > registering with Sipgate he chose the option of a German
    > number for incoming/outgoing PSTN calls. The number
    > allocated is 0048 1801 ************
    > German 01801 numbers appear to be like our 0845 numbers,
    > i.e. 'shared cost'
    > I can't call his German number from the UK as I get a
    > recorded message 'this number is not available' as soon
    > as 1801 is dialled. I don't think you can dial our 0845
    > numbers from abroad either, so does anyone know if I'm
    > right in thinking that this number can only be used from
    > within Germany? If so, that will suit him fine but it
    > will be no good him giving out the number to people
    > outside Germany.

    Are you sure of the number..? The country code for Germany is 49 not 48.
    I'm not sure if 1801 numbers are generally usable from outside Germany as
    I've never used one. However the number will be callable from Sipgate, but
    do remember you will have to dial the full PSTN number as you can't dial
    SIP ID's in Germany from the UK and vice versa.

    Did he email Sipgate tech support..? What did they say..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 16, 2007

  3. Jupiter

    Jono Guest

    on 16/02/2007, Ivor Jones supposed :
    > "Jupiter" <> wrote in message
    >> A friend of mine has relatives in Germany so when
    >> registering with Sipgate he chose the option of a German
    >> number for incoming/outgoing PSTN calls. The number
    >> allocated is 0048 1801 ************
    >> German 01801 numbers appear to be like our 0845 numbers,
    >> i.e. 'shared cost'
    >> I can't call his German number from the UK as I get a
    >> recorded message 'this number is not available' as soon
    >> as 1801 is dialled. I don't think you can dial our 0845
    >> numbers from abroad either, so does anyone know if I'm
    >> right in thinking that this number can only be used from
    >> within Germany? If so, that will suit him fine but it
    >> will be no good him giving out the number to people
    >> outside Germany.

    > Are you sure of the number..? The country code for Germany is 49 not 48. I'm
    > not sure if 1801 numbers are generally usable from outside Germany as I've
    > never used one. However the number will be callable from Sipgate, but do
    > remember you will have to dial the full PSTN number as you can't dial SIP
    > ID's in Germany from the UK and vice versa.
    >
    > Did he email Sipgate tech support..? What did they say..?

    It's also worth pointing out that if the subject of this thread applies
    for a completely fresh Sipgate.de account, using their German
    relative's address, he will get a proper German "geographic" number.

    Jono, Feb 16, 2007
  4. Jupiter

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:14:51 GMT, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >on 16/02/2007, Ivor Jones supposed :
    >> "Jupiter" <> wrote in message
    >>> A friend of mine has relatives in Germany so when
    >>> registering with Sipgate he chose the option of a German
    >>> number for incoming/outgoing PSTN calls. The number
    >>> allocated is 0048 1801 ************
    >>> German 01801 numbers appear to be like our 0845 numbers,
    >>> i.e. 'shared cost'
    >>> I can't call his German number from the UK as I get a
    >>> recorded message 'this number is not available' as soon
    >>> as 1801 is dialled. I don't think you can dial our 0845
    >>> numbers from abroad either, so does anyone know if I'm
    >>> right in thinking that this number can only be used from
    >>> within Germany? If so, that will suit him fine but it
    >>> will be no good him giving out the number to people
    >>> outside Germany.

    >> Are you sure of the number..? The country code for Germany is 49 not 48. I'm
    >> not sure if 1801 numbers are generally usable from outside Germany as I've
    >> never used one. However the number will be callable from Sipgate, but do
    >> remember you will have to dial the full PSTN number as you can't dial SIP
    >> ID's in Germany from the UK and vice versa.
    >>
    >> Did he email Sipgate tech support..? What did they say..?
    >>

    >It's also worth pointing out that if the subject of this thread applies
    >for a completely fresh Sipgate.de account, using their German
    >relative's address, he will get a proper German "geographic" number.

    You don't say, in your post, whether you use voip. If so you really
    don't need to call a landline number. Just find out his IP address
    and call that. Alternatively call via a Sipbroker access code, or, if
    you haven't got voip, try calling the Sipbroker number via a
    Sipbroker PSTN number, such as 0161-660-8447 (Manchester number).
    When it answers enter *777 (for Sipgate Germany) followed by your
    friend's sipgate IP number, then #.
    For other access codes etc. check out sipbroker.com.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Feb 16, 2007
  5. Jupiter

    Jupiter Guest

    On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:06:06 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jupiter" <> wrote in message
    >> A friend of mine has relatives in Germany so when
    >> registering with Sipgate he chose the option of a German
    >> number for incoming/outgoing PSTN calls. The number
    >> allocated is 0048 1801 ************
    >> German 01801 numbers appear to be like our 0845 numbers,
    >> i.e. 'shared cost'
    >> I can't call his German number from the UK as I get a
    >> recorded message 'this number is not available' as soon
    >> as 1801 is dialled. I don't think you can dial our 0845
    >> numbers from abroad either, so does anyone know if I'm
    >> right in thinking that this number can only be used from
    >> within Germany? If so, that will suit him fine but it
    >> will be no good him giving out the number to people
    >> outside Germany.

    >Are you sure of the number..? The country code for Germany is 49 not 48.
    >I'm not sure if 1801 numbers are generally usable from outside Germany as
    >I've never used one. However the number will be callable from Sipgate, but
    >do remember you will have to dial the full PSTN number as you can't dial
    >SIP ID's in Germany from the UK and vice versa.
    >
    >Did he email Sipgate tech support..? What did they say..?
    >
    >Ivor

    You're quite right about the 0049 - my typing error!
    We've established that the number works fine within Germany. He
    arranged calls from relatives in Wurzen and Leipzig. No problems at
    all and they got charged the local rate for 0801. The number is not
    useable from outside Germany but that's not a problem to him.
    BTW, I have called him from Sipgate with his Sipgate ID several times
    and not had to use the full PSTN number.

    Jupiter, Feb 17, 2007
  6. Jupiter

    Jupiter Guest

    wrote:

    >on 16/02/2007, Ivor Jones supposed :
    >> "Jupiter" <> wrote in message
    >>> A friend of mine has relatives in Germany so when
    >>> registering with Sipgate he chose the option of a German
    >>> number for incoming/outgoing PSTN calls. The number
    >>> allocated is 0048 1801 ************
    >>> German 01801 numbers appear to be like our 0845 numbers,
    >>> i.e. 'shared cost'
    >>> I can't call his German number from the UK as I get a
    >>> recorded message 'this number is not available' as soon
    >>> as 1801 is dialled. I don't think you can dial our 0845
    >>> numbers from abroad either, so does anyone know if I'm
    >>> right in thinking that this number can only be used from
    >>> within Germany? If so, that will suit him fine but it
    >>> will be no good him giving out the number to people
    >>> outside Germany.

    >> Are you sure of the number..? The country code for Germany is 49 not 48. I'm
    >> not sure if 1801 numbers are generally usable from outside Germany as I've
    >> never used one. However the number will be callable from Sipgate, but do
    >> remember you will have to dial the full PSTN number as you can't dial SIP
    >> ID's in Germany from the UK and vice versa.
    >>
    >> Did he email Sipgate tech support..? What did they say..?
    >>

    >It's also worth pointing out that if the subject of this thread applies
    >for a completely fresh Sipgate.de account, using their German
    >relative's address, he will get a proper German "geographic" number.

    Good point, but wouldn't Sipgate know that his IP address was in a
    block allocated to a UK ISP and sus out the ploy?
    They'll have to be careful about this because it's a legal requirement
    in Germany that the user be resident there.

    Jupiter, Feb 17, 2007
  7. Jupiter

    Jupiter Guest

    On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 20:44:48 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:14:51 GMT, Jono <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>on 16/02/2007, Ivor Jones supposed :
    >>> "Jupiter" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Are you sure of the number..? The country code for Germany is 49 not 48. I'm
    >>> not sure if 1801 numbers are generally usable from outside Germany as I've
    >>> never used one. However the number will be callable from Sipgate, but do
    >>> remember you will have to dial the full PSTN number as you can't dial SIP
    >>> ID's in Germany from the UK and vice versa.
    >>>
    >>> Did he email Sipgate tech support..? What did they say..?
    >>>

    >>It's also worth pointing out that if the subject of this thread applies
    >>for a completely fresh Sipgate.de account, using their German
    >>relative's address, he will get a proper German "geographic" number.

    >You don't say, in your post, whether you use voip. If so you really
    >don't need to call a landline number. Just find out his IP address
    >and call that. Alternatively call via a Sipbroker access code, or, if
    >you haven't got voip, try calling the Sipbroker number via a
    >Sipbroker PSTN number, such as 0161-660-8447 (Manchester number).
    >When it answers enter *777 (for Sipgate Germany) followed by your
    >friend's sipgate IP number, then #.
    >For other access codes etc. check out sipbroker.com.
    >
    >Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    It wasn't for me. It's for relatives in Germany without computers to
    be able to call him at local rates. We've established that they can,
    without problems, but the 01801 numbers don't work from outside
    Germany, just like our 0845. When my son was working in Holland, he
    had a hell of a job contacting the Halifax Bank because they would
    only provide an 0845 Call Centre number. I had to act as intermediary
    for him and argue with them until they gave me a geographic branch
    number which he was able to call.

    Jupiter, Feb 17, 2007
  8. Jupiter

    Jono Guest

    Jupiter wrote :

    >> It's also worth pointing out that if the subject of this thread applies
    >> for a completely fresh Sipgate.de account, using their German
    >> relative's address, he will get a proper German "geographic" number.
    >>

    > Good point, but wouldn't Sipgate know that his IP address was in a
    > block allocated to a UK ISP and sus out the ploy?

    Nope.

    > They'll have to be careful about this because it's a legal requirement
    > in Germany that the user be resident there.

    Who'll have to be careful? Your friend or his relatives? His relatives
    would be users - they want to be able to call a German number when
    speaking to a relative in the UK. What's wrong with that?

    Jono, Feb 17, 2007
  9. Jupiter

    Jono Guest

    Jupiter used his keyboard to write :

    > It wasn't for me. It's for relatives in Germany without computers to
    > be able to call him at local rates. We've established that they can,
    > without problems, but the 01801 numbers don't work from outside
    > Germany, just like our 0845.

    Why would you want to ring a German non-geo from outside Germany?
    Simply have a UK local number as well as the German number.....and call
    the UK number instead.

    Jono, Feb 17, 2007
  10. In message of 17 Feb, Jupiter <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > It wasn't for me. It's for relatives in Germany without computers to
    > be able to call him at local rates. We've established that they can,
    > without problems, but the 01801 numbers don't work from outside
    > Germany, just like our 0845. When my son was working in Holland, he
    > had a hell of a job contacting the Halifax Bank because they would
    > only provide an 0845 Call Centre number. I had to act as intermediary
    > for him and argue with them until they gave me a geographic branch
    > number which he was able to call.

    This site usually solves that sort of problem:

    http://www.saynoto0870.co.uk/

    --
    Tim Powys-Lybbe
                 For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/

    Tim Powys-Lybbe, Feb 17, 2007
  11. Jupiter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jupiter" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > You're quite right about the 0049 - my typing error!
    > We've established that the number works fine within
    > Germany. He arranged calls from relatives in Wurzen and
    > Leipzig. No problems at all and they got charged the
    > local rate for 0801. The number is not useable from
    > outside Germany but that's not a problem to him.
    > BTW, I have called him from Sipgate with his Sipgate ID
    > several times and not had to use the full PSTN number.

    Ah, I am beginning to see the light. Was the German 01801 number obtained
    from sipgate.co.uk or sipgate.de..? You can get 01801 numbers (but not
    gerographic German numbers) from the UK site, so even though it's a German
    number it's still effectively a UK SIP ID. That would work.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 17, 2007
  12. "Ivor Jones" <> schreef in bericht

    > I'm not sure if 1801 numbers are generally usable from outside Germany as
    > I've never used one. However the number will be callable from Sipgate, but
    > do remember you will have to dial the full PSTN number as you can't dial
    > SIP ID's in Germany from the UK and vice versa.

    Ivor, have to correct you;
    You can dial the the SIP ID's between german Sigate (sipgatde.de) and
    british Sipgate (sipgate.co.uk) numbers WITHOUT having to dial the full PSTN
    numbers
    remember we called each other before;)

    Philippe Deleye, Feb 17, 2007
  13. "Jupiter" <> schreef in bericht

    > You're quite right about the 0049 - my typing error!
    > We've established that the number works fine within Germany. He
    > arranged calls from relatives in Wurzen and Leipzig. No problems at
    > all and they got charged the local rate for 0801. The number is not
    > useable from outside Germany but that's not a problem to him.
    > BTW, I have called him from Sipgate with his Sipgate ID several times
    > and not had to use the full PSTN number.

    non geographical (german) Sipgate numbers used to start with +49 1801 555
    xxx xxxx
    - these numbers can be dialed from within Germany from most landlines
    (Telekom), but NOT from ALL providers !!!
    - these numbers are not at local rate, but can be sometimes expensive
    depending the provider or the price plan of the caller.
    - these numbers can usually be dialed from abroad, therefore NOT TRUE that
    it is not useable from outside Germany
    - you can apply for local german numbers with Sipgate, but there is a tough
    check: Name, Date of birth and adress need to match exactely with the entry
    in the "Shufa" Database
    (Shufa is a database containing the names of EVERY person who has opened a
    German account (Bank account, Visa, etc...)
    If the name you are using (incl. date of birth and complete adress) to
    register does not exactly match, then your request for a german geographical
    number gets denied.

    rgds
    Philippe

    Philippe Deleye, Feb 17, 2007
  14. Jupiter

    Jono Guest

    Philippe Deleye has brought this to us :
    > "Jupiter" <> schreef in bericht
    >
    >> You're quite right about the 0049 - my typing error!
    >> We've established that the number works fine within Germany. He
    >> arranged calls from relatives in Wurzen and Leipzig. No problems at
    >> all and they got charged the local rate for 0801. The number is not
    >> useable from outside Germany but that's not a problem to him.
    >> BTW, I have called him from Sipgate with his Sipgate ID several times
    >> and not had to use the full PSTN number.

    > non geographical (german) Sipgate numbers used to start with +49 1801 555 xxx
    > xxxx
    > - these numbers can be dialed from within Germany from most landlines
    > (Telekom), but NOT from ALL providers !!!
    > - these numbers are not at local rate, but can be sometimes expensive
    > depending the provider or the price plan of the caller.
    > - these numbers can usually be dialed from abroad, therefore NOT TRUE that it
    > is not useable from outside Germany
    > - you can apply for local german numbers with Sipgate, but there is a tough
    > check: Name, Date of birth and adress need to match exactely with the entry
    > in the "Shufa" Database
    > (Shufa is a database containing the names of EVERY person who has opened a
    > German account (Bank account, Visa, etc...)
    > If the name you are using (incl. date of birth and complete adress) to
    > register does not exactly match, then your request for a german geographical
    > number gets denied.

    Erm, no it doesn't - at least it didn't with me. Admittedly, I googled
    for an address that had an occupant with the same surname as mine,
    however, even if it asked for birthdate during the sign up (I can't
    remember that it did) It's very unlikely that this person in Wuppertal
    has the same name & birthdate as me.

    Jono, Feb 17, 2007
  15. Jupiter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Philippe Deleye" <> wrote in
    message news:45d6e53b$0$3146$
    > "Ivor Jones" <> schreef in bericht
    >
    > > I'm not sure if 1801 numbers are generally usable from
    > > outside Germany as I've never used one. However the
    > > number will be callable from Sipgate, but do remember
    > > you will have to dial the full PSTN number as you can't
    > > dial SIP ID's in Germany from the UK and vice versa.

    > Ivor, have to correct you;
    > You can dial the the SIP ID's between german Sigate
    > (sipgatde.de) and british Sipgate (sipgate.co.uk) numbers
    > WITHOUT having to dial the full PSTN numbers
    > remember we called each other before;)

    It used to work but it doesn't any more. The link between the databases
    was disconnected as it took too long to check every time a number was
    dialled. If you still have my number, try it now. I have a German SIP
    number as well as the UK ones and it doesn't work between the two for me.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 17, 2007
  16. Jupiter

    Jupiter Guest

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 09:19:45 GMT, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >Jupiter wrote :
    >

    >>> It's also worth pointing out that if the subject of this thread applies
    >>> for a completely fresh Sipgate.de account, using their German
    >>> relative's address, he will get a proper German "geographic" number.
    >>>

    >> Good point, but wouldn't Sipgate know that his IP address was in a
    >> block allocated to a UK ISP and sus out the ploy?

    >Nope.
    >
    >> They'll have to be careful about this because it's a legal requirement
    >> in Germany that the user be resident there.

    >Who'll have to be careful? Your friend or his relatives? His relatives
    >would be users - they want to be able to call a German number when
    >speaking to a relative in the UK. What's wrong with that?

    Sipgate are the ones who'll have to be careful. Presumably they are
    regulated by German authorities as they are allocating telephone
    numbers. Users won't be at risk.

    Jupiter, Feb 17, 2007
  17. Jupiter

    Jupiter Guest

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:06:47 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jupiter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> You're quite right about the 0049 - my typing error!
    >> We've established that the number works fine within
    >> Germany. He arranged calls from relatives in Wurzen and
    >> Leipzig. No problems at all and they got charged the
    >> local rate for 0801. The number is not useable from
    >> outside Germany but that's not a problem to him.
    >> BTW, I have called him from Sipgate with his Sipgate ID
    >> several times and not had to use the full PSTN number.

    >Ah, I am beginning to see the light. Was the German 01801 number obtained
    >from sipgate.co.uk or sipgate.de..? You can get 01801 numbers (but not
    >gerographic German numbers) from the UK site, so even though it's a German
    >number it's still effectively a UK SIP ID. That would work.
    >

    >Ivor

    Obtained from sipgate.co.uk

    Jupiter, Feb 17, 2007
  18. Jupiter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jupiter" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:06:47 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > > Ah, I am beginning to see the light. Was the German
    > > 01801 number obtained from sipgate.co.uk or
    > > sipgate.de..? You can get 01801 numbers (but not
    > > gerographic German numbers) from the UK site, so even
    > > though it's a German number it's still effectively a UK
    > > SIP ID. That would work.
    > >

    > > Ivor
    > >

    > Obtained from sipgate.co.uk

    That explains it. He effectively has a UK SIP account, but with a German
    non-geo number. My German number is a genuine one from sipgate.de so is
    not directly available from the UK domain.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 17, 2007
  19. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > It used to work but it doesn't any more. The link between the databases
    > was disconnected as it took too long to check every time a number was
    > dialled. If you still have my number, try it now. I have a German SIP
    > number as well as the UK ones and it doesn't work between the two for me.

    Indeed, you are right. It does not work anymore
    Philippe

    Philippe Deleye, Feb 24, 2007