    --
    amos
    , May 17, 2005

  2. David Floyd Guest

    In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
    >Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
    >number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
    >https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
    >
    >All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.

    That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based
    David Floyd, May 17, 2005

  3. Ivor Jones Guest

    "David Floyd" <> wrote in message
    > In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
    >>Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
    >>number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
    >>https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
    >>
    >>All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.
    >>

    > That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

    Correct, you can only obtain geographic numbers from a UK IP address.

    Note that if you change your Sipgate PSTN number, your 7 digit SIP number
    will *not* change and therefore your SIP number (dialled by another
    Sipgate user) and PSTN number will bear no relation to one another, which
    might get confusing..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 17, 2005
  4. Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:44:26 +0100, David Floyd <>
    wrote:

    >In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
    >>Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
    >>number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
    >>https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
    >>
    >>All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.
    >>

    >That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

    Well unless BTBB (not yahoo) have done a flit I reckon the problem may
    lay elsewhere. Did you try to change your number and see what you
    were offered?

    --
    amos
    , May 17, 2005
  5. Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:52:38 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"David Floyd" <> wrote in message
    >> In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
    >>>Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
    >>>number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
    >>>https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
    >>>
    >>>All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.
    >>>

    >> That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

    >Correct, you can only obtain geographic numbers from a UK IP address.
    >
    >Note that if you change your Sipgate PSTN number, your 7 digit SIP number
    >will *not* change and therefore your SIP number (dialled by another
    >Sipgate user) and PSTN number will bear no relation to one another, which
    >might get confusing..!

    BTBB is not UK based? I give up.I got my original UK geo number
    using BTBB as my ISP.

    --
    amos
    , May 17, 2005
  6. Guest

    Re: Sipgate - change numbe.

    wrote:

    >In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
    >>Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
    >>number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
    >>https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
    >>
    >>All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.
    >>

    >That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

    Hi David
    I got my JD details today not tried any phone calls but the voicemail
    is nothing short of perfect and what do you know it is all in perfect
    English !!not that I am hinting at any other voip providers voicemail
    service of course !! .
    , May 17, 2005
  7. David Floyd Guest

    Re: Sipgate - change numbe.

    In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
    >On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:44:26 +0100, David Floyd <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
    >>>Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
    >>>number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
    >>>https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
    >>>
    >>>All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.
    >>>

    >>That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

    >Hi David
    >I got my JD details today not tried any phone calls but the voicemail
    >is nothing short of perfect and what do you know it is all in perfect
    >English !!not that I am hinting at any other voip providers voicemail
    >service of course !! .

    Just had by first bill too!

    It's pro-rata 3/5/05 to 10/5/05 = 60p to be taken DD on 3/6/05

    I thought they might take a month in advance as well - but no.

    All OK so far.

    David
    David Floyd, May 17, 2005
  8. Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote:

    >"David Floyd" <> wrote in message
    >> In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
    >>>Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
    >>>number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
    >>>https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
    >>>
    >>>All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.
    >>>

    >> That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

    >Correct, you can only obtain geographic numbers from a UK IP address.
    >
    >Note that if you change your Sipgate PSTN number, your 7 digit SIP number
    >will *not* change and therefore your SIP number (dialled by another
    >Sipgate user) and PSTN number will bear no relation to one another, which
    >might get confusing..!

    BTBB is not UK based? I give up.I got my original UK geo number
    using BTBB as my ISP.

    You never mentioned BTBB, you said Sipgate. Or am I misreading
    something..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 17, 2005
  9. Ivor Jones Guest

    wrote:

    >In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
    >>Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
    >>number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
    >>https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
    >>
    >>All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.
    >>

    >That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

    Well unless BTBB (not yahoo) have done a flit I reckon the problem may
    lay elsewhere. Did you try to change your number and see what you
    were offered?

    What has BTBB got to do with a Sipgate number..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 17, 2005
  10. Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:19:56 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:52:38 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>"David Floyd" <> wrote in message
    >>> In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes

    >>> That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

    >>Correct, you can only obtain geographic numbers from a UK IP address.
    >>
    >>Note that if you change your Sipgate PSTN number, your 7 digit SIP number
    >>will *not* change and therefore your SIP number (dialled by another
    >>Sipgate user) and PSTN number will bear no relation to one another, which
    >>might get confusing..!

    >BTBB is not UK based? I give up.I got my original UK geo number
    >using BTBB as my ISP.
    >
    >You never mentioned BTBB, you said Sipgate. Or am I misreading
    >something..?

    My ISP is BTBB and I cannot see, and that is probably me, what the
    confusion is between Sipgate, who issued me with a geo number and BT
    who is my ISP.

    To recap. I have a number 0114 xxx xxxx issued by sipgate. I want to
    change it. The facility on sipgate web site is available to do this.
    My IP lies in the 86.128.x.x to 86.135.255.255 range, assigned to BT
    GB. I am in the UK. The change number option in the 'my account' page
    on https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
    only offers me the German, 0845 or 0870 numbers.

    I have since tried to register as a new user. All I get offered is
    the same German 0870 or 0845 numbers.

    That is why I asked if anyone else had tried. Sipgate say there is no
    problem. I am of the opinion they do have a problem. The problem now
    appears to be that they are incorrectly referencing IPs to the wrong
    country.

    It would be helpful if you could try to change your sipgate geo number
    and let me know what numbers you are offered (you don't have to take
    the offered number(s)). I will persue sipgate over the problem, but
    whilst there is only me complaining they seem reluctant to do
    anything. I guess they can't simulate the problem if it is dependant
    on IP address.

    --
    amos
    , May 17, 2005
  11. Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:20:53 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:44:26 +0100, David Floyd <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
    >>>Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
    >>>number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
    >>>https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
    >>>
    >>>All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.
    >>>

    >>That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

    >Well unless BTBB (not yahoo) have done a flit I reckon the problem may
    >lay elsewhere. Did you try to change your number and see what you
    >were offered?
    >
    >What has BTBB got to do with a Sipgate number..?

    Nothing at all. I was replying David Floyds suggestion that the
    problem was probably due to using a non UK based ISP.

    --
    amos
    , May 17, 2005
  12. Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:51:14 +0100, David Floyd <>
    wrote:

    >In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
    >>
    >>To recap. I have a number 0114 xxx xxxx issued by sipgate. I want to
    >>change it. The facility on sipgate web site is available to do this.
    >>My IP lies in the 86.128.x.x to 86.135.255.255 range, assigned to BT
    >>GB. I am in the UK. The change number option in the 'my account' page
    >>on https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
    >>only offers me the German, 0845 or 0870 numbers.
    >>
    >>I have since tried to register as a new user. All I get offered is
    >>the same German 0870 or 0845 numbers.
    >>
    >>That is why I asked if anyone else had tried. Sipgate say there is no
    >>problem. I am of the opinion they do have a problem. The problem now
    >>appears to be that they are incorrectly referencing IPs to the wrong
    >>country.
    >>
    >>It would be helpful if you could try to change your sipgate geo number
    >>and let me know what numbers you are offered (you don't have to take
    >>the offered number(s)). I will persue sipgate over the problem, but
    >>whilst there is only me complaining they seem reluctant to do
    >>anything. I guess they can't simulate the problem if it is dependant
    >>on IP address.
    >>

    >Yes, I've just tried and I was offered a UK number as well as 0845,0870
    >and German. My ISP is Pipex.

    Thanks, I will now report the problem differently to Sipgate.

    --
    amos
    , May 17, 2005
  13. David Floyd Guest

    David Floyd, May 17, 2005
  14. David Floyd Guest

    In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
    >On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:20:53 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >><> wrote in message
    >>On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:44:26 +0100, David Floyd <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes

    >>>That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

    >>Well unless BTBB (not yahoo) have done a flit I reckon the problem may
    >>lay elsewhere. Did you try to change your number and see what you
    >>were offered?
    >>
    >>What has BTBB got to do with a Sipgate number..?

    >Nothing at all. I was replying David Floyds suggestion that the
    >problem was probably due to using a non UK based ISP.

    Don't worry, Ivor must be having a funny 5 mins. He knows that you need
    a UK ISP too.

    :)

    David
    David Floyd, May 17, 2005
  15. Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:19:56 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >>You never mentioned BTBB, you said Sipgate. Or am I misreading
    >>something..?

    >My ISP is BTBB and I cannot see, and that is probably me, what the
    >confusion is between Sipgate, who issued me with a geo number and BT
    >who is my ISP.

    Ah, I understand now. As long as you are using an ISP with a UK based IP
    range then you shouldn't have a problem, this is very strange.

    >To recap. I have a number 0114 xxx xxxx issued by sipgate. I want to
    >change it. The facility on sipgate web site is available to do this.
    >My IP lies in the 86.128.x.x to 86.135.255.255 range, assigned to BT
    >GB. I am in the UK. The change number option in the 'my account' page
    >on https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
    >only offers me the German, 0845 or 0870 numbers.

    >I have since tried to register as a new user. All I get offered is
    >the same German 0870 or 0845 numbers.

    The only thing I can think of is that there are no numbers currently
    available in the area code you wish to use. Have you tried selecting a
    different area to see if a number comes up there..? Some areas like London
    often have periods where no numbers are available, simply because they are
    popular and there isn't an unlimited supply.

    That is why I asked if anyone else had tried. Sipgate say there is no
    problem. I am of the opinion they do have a problem. The problem now
    appears to be that they are incorrectly referencing IPs to the wrong
    country.

    It would be helpful if you could try to change your sipgate geo number
    and let me know what numbers you are offered (you don't have to take
    the offered number(s)). I will persue sipgate over the problem, but
    whilst there is only me complaining they seem reluctant to do
    anything. I guess they can't simulate the problem if it is dependant
    on IP address.

    I just tried to obtain an 0114 (Sheffield) number and was successful. I
    didn't take it of course <g>

    Try a different area code and see what happens.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 17, 2005
  16. Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:51:14 +0100, David Floyd <>
    wrote:

    [snip]

    >>It would be helpful if you could try to change your sipgate geo number
    >>and let me know what numbers you are offered (you don't have to take
    >>the offered number(s)). I will persue sipgate over the problem, but
    >>whilst there is only me complaining they seem reluctant to do
    >>anything. I guess they can't simulate the problem if it is dependant
    >>on IP address.
    >>

    >Yes, I've just tried and I was offered a UK number as well as 0845,0870
    >and German. My ISP is Pipex.

    Thanks, I will now report the problem differently to Sipgate.

    I suspect it is because no numbers are currently available for the area
    code you want. Like I said, try a different one and see what happens.
    Places like London and Manchester etc. are very popular and the supply of
    numbers is limited.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 17, 2005
  17. Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:53:11 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:19:56 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >>>You never mentioned BTBB, you said Sipgate. Or am I misreading
    >>>something..?

    >>My ISP is BTBB and I cannot see, and that is probably me, what the
    >>confusion is between Sipgate, who issued me with a geo number and BT
    >>who is my ISP.

    >Ah, I understand now. As long as you are using an ISP with a UK based IP
    >range then you shouldn't have a problem, this is very strange.

    Yup. David Floyd has tried changing his number and he gets offered UK
    geo numbers. His ISP is Pipex.

    >>To recap. I have a number 0114 xxx xxxx issued by sipgate. I want to
    >>change it. The facility on sipgate web site is available to do this.
    >>My IP lies in the 86.128.x.x to 86.135.255.255 range, assigned to BT
    >>GB. I am in the UK. The change number option in the 'my account' page
    >>on https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
    >>only offers me the German, 0845 or 0870 numbers.

    >>I have since tried to register as a new user. All I get offered is
    >>the same German 0870 or 0845 numbers.

    >The only thing I can think of is that there are no numbers currently
    >available in the area code you wish to use. Have you tried selecting a
    >different area to see if a number comes up there..? Some areas like London
    >often have periods where no numbers are available, simply because they are
    >popular and there isn't an unlimited supply.

    I never get offered any UK area codes, only 0845 0870 or German
    numbers.

    >That is why I asked if anyone else had tried. Sipgate say there is no
    >problem. I am of the opinion they do have a problem. The problem now
    >appears to be that they are incorrectly referencing IPs to the wrong
    >country.
    >
    >It would be helpful if you could try to change your sipgate geo number
    >and let me know what numbers you are offered (you don't have to take
    >the offered number(s)). I will persue sipgate over the problem, but
    >whilst there is only me complaining they seem reluctant to do
    >anything. I guess they can't simulate the problem if it is dependant
    >on IP address.
    >
    >I just tried to obtain an 0114 (Sheffield) number and was successful. I
    >didn't take it of course <g>

    OK so I guess your ISP isn't BTBB. I am not inclined to decode the
    news.individual.net trace field just to find your IP :cool:

    Thoughts of conspiracy come to mind. Is it BT screwing Sipgate or
    Sipgate screwing BT. I'll have to think about this one!

    Thanks for your test of the number change. I will report the problem
    differently to Sipgate.

    --
    amos
    , May 17, 2005
  18. Guest

    Re: Sipgate - change numbe.

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:17:46 +0100, David Floyd <>
    wrote:

    >Just had by first bill too!
    >
    >It's pro-rata 3/5/05 to 10/5/05 = 60p to be taken DD on 3/6/05
    >
    >I thought they might take a month in advance as well - but no.
    >
    >All OK so far.

    What is the score regarding calls do we get any free calls or not
    can't seem to find any info regarding this .
    , May 17, 2005
  19. David Floyd Guest

    Re: Sipgate - change numbe.

    In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
    >On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:17:46 +0100, David Floyd <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Just had by first bill too!
    >>
    >>It's pro-rata 3/5/05 to 10/5/05 = 60p to be taken DD on 3/6/05
    >>
    >>I thought they might take a month in advance as well - but no.
    >>
    >>All OK so far.

    >What is the score regarding calls do we get any free calls or not
    >can't seem to find any info regarding this .

    It's on their web page.

    You get 75mins UK 01/02 OffPeak/weekend.

    What's not clear is whether this is per call or per month.

    David
    David Floyd, May 17, 2005
  20. Guest

    Re: Sipgate - change numbe.

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:01:49 +0100, David Floyd <>
    wrote:

    >You get 75mins UK 01/02 OffPeak/weekend.
    >
    >What's not clear is whether this is per call or per month.
    >
    >David

    I shall drop them a mail and try to get this clarified .
    , May 17, 2005