    Sean Browne
    Cardiff IT Support Ltd
    www.cardiffitsupport.com

    Cardiff IT Support Ltd, Feb 15, 2007

  2. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    Jono Guest

    on 15/02/2007, Cardiff IT Support Ltd supposed :
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been using a sipgate incoming number for well over a year now. I send
    > all my calls out via various providers but sipgate isn't one of them.
    >
    > I feel that a free number for life is too good to be true, especially when I
    > don't spend any money with them.
    >
    > In my opinion I am taking the mic, and if I was sipgate I would have a word
    > with me.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas regarding the security of numbers with sipgate?

    Do you not feel compelled to at least deposit a tenner or something
    into your account?

    Certainly, they are under no obligation to continue to offer the
    service for free.

    Jono, Feb 15, 2007

  3. >
    > Do you not feel compelled to at least deposit a tenner or something into
    > your account?
    >
    > Certainly, they are under no obligation to continue to offer the service
    > for free.

    There is a few quid on there but for the purpose of the question, there
    might not have been. I have not yet read / heard that incoming numbers
    are more secure if you have a positive balance I was just wondering if
    anyone here had any facts as I am not one for reading small print.

    Thanks,

    ---
    Sean Browne
    Cardiff IT Support Ltd
    www.cardiffitsupport.com

    Cardiff IT Support Ltd, Feb 15, 2007
  4. Cardiff IT Support Ltd wrote:

    >> Do you not feel compelled to at least deposit a tenner or something
    >> into your account?
    >>
    >> Certainly, they are under no obligation to continue to offer the
    >> service for free.

    I had a couple of numbers set-up when I first started using voip both at
    home and work.

    Whether I was just unfortunate with timing I don't know, but the
    incoming call quality was so hit & miss I stopped using them and went to
    voipfone Since no calls have been going through the numbers all the
    sipgate accounts refuse to register with my draytek.

    I suppose I could try setting up another account and see what happens.
    If call quality is reliable I would even be happy to deposit a £10r into
    their coffers... (Last time I tried even giving them money was
    impossible to do on the web-site)

    --
    http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Gym Equipment,Fitness Equipment,Supplements
    http://www.water-rower.co.uk - Uk's leading WaterRower retailer

    Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk, Feb 15, 2007
  5. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    J Clavox Guest

    On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:47:45 GMT, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >Do you not feel compelled to at least deposit a tenner or something
    >into your account?

    Anyone with any sense will not give money to anyone unless they are
    forced to do so and get a good deal from doing so and Sipgate just
    don't fit in into this category .
    Fools and their money are soon parted .

    J Clavox, Feb 15, 2007
  6. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    Jono Guest

    J Clavox formulated on Thursday :
    > On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:47:45 GMT, Jono <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Do you not feel compelled to at least deposit a tenner or something
    >> into your account?

    > Anyone with any sense will not give money to anyone unless they are
    > forced to do so and get a good deal from doing so and Sipgate just
    > don't fit in into this category .
    > Fools and their money are soon parted .

    Why the name change M/N.Dexter?

    Jono, Feb 15, 2007
  7. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    RH Guest

    "Cardiff IT Support Ltd" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been using a sipgate incoming number for well over a year now. I
    > send all my calls out via various providers but sipgate isn't one of them.
    >
    > I feel that a free number for life is too good to be true, especially when
    > I don't spend any money with them.
    >
    > In my opinion I am taking the mic, and if I was sipgate I would have a
    > word with me.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas regarding the security of numbers with sipgate?

    I had just this thought about 6 months ago, having a nice free local number
    is great for when
    the use is not critical, but for business use last thing anyone needs is a
    bad line or for the provider to go
    belly up and lose my number.

    By paying monthly for my number I am hoping the company has more money to
    reinvest and stay solvent.unlike
    some other VOIP providers

    Voipfone quality is always superb, and the fallover to PSTN means you never
    have to lose a call.

    I get the impression sipgate is not bothered about the UK market, the
    website and features never seem to change.

    RH, Feb 16, 2007
  8. RH wrote:

    > Voipfone quality is always superb, and the fallover to PSTN means you never
    > have to lose a call.

    We have been using voipfone since the new-year a few hiccups for one day
    when audio was only going one way or the other and pstn fall over didn't
    cut in, but a £1.99 / month/number is a small price to pay.

    On a tangent... does their fax2email service work very well?
    I have just added a free 0870 number to the account. Our fax is mainly
    used for outgoing faxes but it would be nice to know the service works well.

    Cheers
    Pete

    Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk, Feb 16, 2007
  9. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Cardiff IT Support Ltd" <>
    wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been using a sipgate incoming number for well over
    > a year now. I send all my calls out via various
    > providers but sipgate isn't one of them.
    > I feel that a free number for life is too good to be
    > true, especially when I don't spend any money with them.
    >
    > In my opinion I am taking the mic, and if I was sipgate I
    > would have a word with me.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas regarding the security of
    > numbers with sipgate?

    They reserve the right to disconnect a number, but AFAIK have never done
    so. A friend has had one for 2 years with no credit on it, he uses it to
    call me and that's about it, it's still there.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 16, 2007
  10. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "J Clavox" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:47:45 GMT, Jono
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > Do you not feel compelled to at least deposit a tenner
    > > or something into your account?

    > Anyone with any sense will not give money to anyone
    > unless they are forced to do so and get a good deal from
    > doing so and Sipgate just don't fit in into this category
    > .
    > Fools and their money are soon parted .

    Do shut up Ron, there's a good boy.

    Yawn...

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 16, 2007
  11. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > J Clavox formulated on Thursday :
    > > On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 21:47:45 GMT, Jono
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > > > Do you not feel compelled to at least deposit a
    > > > tenner or something into your account?

    > > Anyone with any sense will not give money to anyone
    > > unless they are forced to do so and get a good deal
    > > from doing so and Sipgate just don't fit in into this
    > > category . Fools and their money are soon parted .

    > Why the name change M/N.Dexter?

    Perhaps his last ISP finally saw sense and kicked him off..?!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 16, 2007
  12. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote on 16/02/2007 :

    >> Why the name change M/N.Dexter?

    > Perhaps his last ISP finally saw sense and kicked him off..?!
    >
    > Ivor

    I know he went on to ADSL from cable - that doesn't mean he needs to
    change his nom de plume.

    Interestingly, he always stated that if he had a BT line he would stop
    using VoIP. Perhaps that explains why he's been so quiet.

    Jono, Feb 16, 2007
  13. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    Jono Guest

    It happens that Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk formulated :
    > RH wrote:
    >
    >> Voipfone quality is always superb, and the fallover to PSTN means you never
    >> have to lose a call.

    > We have been using voipfone since the new-year a few hiccups for one day when
    > audio was only going one way or the other and pstn fall over didn't cut in,
    > but a £1.99 / month/number is a small price to pay.
    >
    > On a tangent... does their fax2email service work very well?
    > I have just added a free 0870 number to the account. Our fax is mainly used
    > for outgoing faxes but it would be nice to know the service works well.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Pete

    It works very well does the fax to email service. You do have to be
    patient whilst waiting for the email - longest I've waited is 10
    minutes.

    Jono, Feb 16, 2007
  14. Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk, Feb 16, 2007
  15. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    J Clavox Guest

    On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 07:57:10 GMT, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >Ivor Jones wrote on 16/02/2007 :
    >
    >>> Why the name change M/N.Dexter?

    >> Perhaps his last ISP finally saw sense and kicked him off..?!
    >>
    >> Ivor

    >I know he went on to ADSL from cable - that doesn't mean he needs to
    >change his nom de plume.
    >
    >Interestingly, he always stated that if he had a BT line he would stop
    >using VoIP. Perhaps that explains why he's been so quiet.

    Exactly most of my calls are off peak I now have Primus telecom
    running over the BT line so now I only pay the line rental without the
    need for messing around with voip adapters and useless providers like
    Sipgate .

    J Clavox, Feb 16, 2007
  16. In article <un4Bh.7798$>,
    Cardiff IT Support Ltd <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I have been using a sipgate incoming number for well over a year now. I
    >send all my calls out via various providers but sipgate isn't one of them.
    >
    >I feel that a free number for life is too good to be true, especially
    >when I don't spend any money with them.
    >
    >In my opinion I am taking the mic, and if I was sipgate I would have a
    >word with me.
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas regarding the security of numbers with sipgate?

    Who knows, but I've done exactly the same myself for about a year now. I
    stuck a tenner in the account back then too, but haven't had the need
    to top it up yet.

    I guess their business model relies on people who do want to use it and
    top up their account more than once. (or even regularly!)

    At least I'd hope that they did. Been looking into all this myself
    (Wholesale IP <-> PSTN termination), and still trying to work out a
    pricing model that might work ...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Feb 16, 2007
  17. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    Tim Guest

    Cardiff IT Support Ltd wrote:

    > I have been using a sipgate incoming number for well over a year now. I
    > send all my calls out via various providers but sipgate isn't one of them.

    You could always port your number to another provider.

    Tim

    Tim, Feb 16, 2007
  18. "Cardiff IT Support Ltd" <> schreef in bericht

    > Does anyone have any ideas regarding the security of numbers with sipgate?

    I have, since years, a german (+49 40) and a UK number (+44 20) with
    Sipgate.
    There is a few Euro on the german account, no credit at all on the UK
    account.
    Both working fine for incoming calls, numbers never were deleted because no
    credit or so...

    Using sipgate.co.uk only for outging 0800 numbers in UK
    Same for sipgate.de: only for special numbers in Germany.
    For all other outgoing I'm using one of the Betamax free calls providers

    But indeed, I guess no guarantee that these will be numbers for life ;)

    rgds
    Philippe
    Belgium

    Philippe Deleye, Feb 17, 2007
  19. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    Guest

    On 15 Feb, 21:36, Cardiff IT Support Ltd <>
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been using a sipgate incoming number for well over a year now. I
    > send all my calls out via various providers but sipgate isn't one of them.
    >
    > I feel that a free number for life is too good to be true, especially
    > when I don't spend any money with them.
    >
    > In my opinion I am taking the mic, and if I was sipgate I would have a
    > word with me.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas regarding the security of numbers with sipgate?
    >
    > ---
    > Sean Browne
    > Cardiff IT Support Ltdwww.cardiffitsupport.com

    Check out www.connexin.co.uk click the sign up button on the left u
    choose from over 2 million numbers including 0845!

    , Feb 20, 2007
  20. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    Mr Man Guest

    <snip>

    Lovely, how helpful....... SPAM!

    on a slightly more helpful note "3.In the event of a retail member
    ceasing to trade, the wholesale member will reserve their customers’
    numbers. The wholesaler will enable the transfer of these reserved
    numbers to another retail member when requested to do so by the end user
    through another retail member. In these circumstances the wholesaler
    will not reallocate a number used by the retailer for a minimum of three
    months."

    The above is Common Practice Document - Number Porting between ITSPA members

    Sipgate are not ITSPA members, but a good amount of nicer companies in
    the UK are.

    I guess the con...nooobs above are not planning on becoming ITSPA
    members anytime soon.

    Mr Man, Feb 23, 2007