Sipgate and Grandstream GPX2020 Problems

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Rik, Feb 27, 2008.

  1. Rik

    Rik Guest

    Hi All

    I am getting to the end of my teather here. I am new to VOIP
    although
    have work in IT for about 10 years now on network infrustructure.

    I recently signed up for a SipGate account and tested the quality and
    reliability using Sipgate X-Lite, and it seemed like a very good
    system. So I invested in 2 Hardware phones (Grandstream GPX2020) for
    my small business, for me the advantage was its 6 Sipgate account
    abilityper phone, also a HandyTone 503 (Not even going to get

    For the first week or so everything worked fine, I had 3 accounts on
    one phone, and another 3 on the other, with Account1 being shared on
    both phones. As I said all was well.

    Then the problems started, outgoing work fine, no poblems. Incoming
    calls became intermitant, sometimes you would just get a busy tone
    (not even forward to VM), Other times you would pick up and it would
    just cut off, and sometimes it would work.

    I have tried having only one phone online with one account, and same
    problem existed.

    I have 2 x GPX2020 running through a 8 port Netgear Prosafe switch
    FS108P with 4 POE ports (of which the phones use 2) and 4 standard
    10/100 ports. This in turn goes to a NetGear 5 Port Fast Ethernet
    Switch FS105, and is then connected to a Netgear ADSL/Firewall/Router
    DG834G.

    I run 2 PC's, 2 Laptops and an SBS2003 Server.

    I was advised to open Ports 5060 UDP (Local SIP Port), Port 5004 UDP
    (RTP) and Port 10000 UDP (STUN). I created these services, and then
    added them to the Firewall Rules allowing them to forward to the
    Static IP of the phone (192.168.16.202) under Inbound Services. I
    have no rules on the Outbound Services apart from the dealfault which
    allows any serivce out.

    Still the problem didn't go away.

    I don't know if I am doing something stupid, SipGate supplied a Phone
    Configuration sheet for each account with all the relevant settings,
    which have been followed to the letter.

    Server, Outboud Proxy, Sip User ID, Auth ID and password etc.

    The second question which I guess is related is that I have 5 SipGate
    accounts with different telephone numbers, do I need to set the local
    SIP ports as follows:

    Phone 1:
    Account1: 5060 (Shared Number)
    Account2: 5062
    Account3: 5064

    Phone 2:
    Account1: 5060 (Shared Number)
    Account2: 5162
    Account3: 5164

    I have asked SipGate and Grandstream for help but most of what they
    ask me to do, doesn't work either.

    I was just wondering if any one else has had or has a similar issue
    and how I go about setting this up to run reliabaly.

    Many Thanks

    Richard

    Rik, Feb 27, 2008

  2. Rik

    Al Guest

    "Rik" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I am getting to the end of my teather here. I am new to VOIP
    > although
    > have work in IT for about 10 years now on network infrustructure.
    >

    > I recently signed up for a SipGate account and tested the quality and
    > reliability using Sipgate X-Lite, and it seemed like a very good
    > system. So I invested in 2 Hardware phones (Grandstream GPX2020) for
    > my small business, for me the advantage was its 6 Sipgate account
    > abilityper phone, also a HandyTone 503 (Not even going to get
    >

    > For the first week or so everything worked fine, I had 3 accounts on
    > one phone, and another 3 on the other, with Account1 being shared on
    > both phones. As I said all was well.
    >

    > Then the problems started, outgoing work fine, no poblems. Incoming
    > calls became intermitant, sometimes you would just get a busy tone
    > (not even forward to VM), Other times you would pick up and it would
    > just cut off, and sometimes it would work.
    >

    > I have tried having only one phone online with one account, and same
    > problem existed.
    >

    > I have 2 x GPX2020 running through a 8 port Netgear Prosafe switch
    > FS108P with 4 POE ports (of which the phones use 2) and 4 standard
    > 10/100 ports. This in turn goes to a NetGear 5 Port Fast Ethernet
    > Switch FS105, and is then connected to a Netgear ADSL/Firewall/Router
    > DG834G.
    >

    > I run 2 PC's, 2 Laptops and an SBS2003 Server.
    >

    > I was advised to open Ports 5060 UDP (Local SIP Port), Port 5004 UDP
    > (RTP) and Port 10000 UDP (STUN). I created these services, and then
    > added them to the Firewall Rules allowing them to forward to the
    > Static IP of the phone (192.168.16.202) under Inbound Services. I
    > have no rules on the Outbound Services apart from the dealfault which
    > allows any serivce out.
    >

    > Still the problem didn't go away.
    >

    > I don't know if I am doing something stupid, SipGate supplied a Phone
    > Configuration sheet for each account with all the relevant settings,
    > which have been followed to the letter.
    >

    > Server, Outboud Proxy, Sip User ID, Auth ID and password etc.
    >

    > The second question which I guess is related is that I have 5 SipGate
    > accounts with different telephone numbers, do I need to set the local
    > SIP ports as follows:
    >

    > Phone 1:
    > Account1: 5060 (Shared Number)
    > Account2: 5062
    > Account3: 5064
    >

    > Phone 2:
    > Account1: 5060 (Shared Number)
    > Account2: 5162
    > Account3: 5164
    >

    > I have asked SipGate and Grandstream for help but most of what they
    > ask me to do, doesn't work either.
    >

    > I was just wondering if any one else has had or has a similar issue
    > and how I go about setting this up to run reliabaly.
    >

    > Many Thanks
    >

    > Richard

    I have a GPX 2020 as well as a GPX 2000 with one Sipgate A/C on it and 3
    other providers.
    Although I don't use Sipgate a lot it is still there and working.
    They should traverse OK without opening those ports up in my experience.

    I assume that these phones are connected before the SBS 2003 Server. Or how
    is the SBS box connected.
    2 NIC system with WAN/LAN ?

    Just musing

    Al

    Al, Feb 27, 2008

  3. Rik

    Jono Guest

    Rik pretended :
    > Hi All
    >
    > I am getting to the end of my teather here. I am new to VOIP
    > although
    > have work in IT for about 10 years now on network infrustructure.
    >

    > I recently signed up for a SipGate account and tested the quality and
    > reliability using Sipgate X-Lite, and it seemed like a very good
    > system. So I invested in 2 Hardware phones (Grandstream GPX2020) for
    > my small business, for me the advantage was its 6 Sipgate account
    > abilityper phone, also a HandyTone 503 (Not even going to get
    >

    > For the first week or so everything worked fine, I had 3 accounts on
    > one phone, and another 3 on the other, with Account1 being shared on
    > both phones. As I said all was well.
    >

    > Then the problems started, outgoing work fine, no poblems. Incoming
    > calls became intermitant, sometimes you would just get a busy tone
    > (not even forward to VM), Other times you would pick up and it would
    > just cut off, and sometimes it would work.
    >

    > I have tried having only one phone online with one account, and same
    > problem existed.
    >

    > I have 2 x GPX2020 running through a 8 port Netgear Prosafe switch
    > FS108P with 4 POE ports (of which the phones use 2) and 4 standard
    > 10/100 ports. This in turn goes to a NetGear 5 Port Fast Ethernet
    > Switch FS105, and is then connected to a Netgear ADSL/Firewall/Router
    > DG834G.
    >

    > I run 2 PC's, 2 Laptops and an SBS2003 Server.
    >

    > I was advised to open Ports 5060 UDP (Local SIP Port), Port 5004 UDP
    > (RTP) and Port 10000 UDP (STUN). I created these services, and then
    > added them to the Firewall Rules allowing them to forward to the
    > Static IP of the phone (192.168.16.202) under Inbound Services. I
    > have no rules on the Outbound Services apart from the dealfault which
    > allows any serivce out.
    >

    > Still the problem didn't go away.
    >

    > I don't know if I am doing something stupid, SipGate supplied a Phone
    > Configuration sheet for each account with all the relevant settings,
    > which have been followed to the letter.
    >

    > Server, Outboud Proxy, Sip User ID, Auth ID and password etc.
    >

    > The second question which I guess is related is that I have 5 SipGate
    > accounts with different telephone numbers, do I need to set the local
    > SIP ports as follows:
    >

    > Phone 1:
    > Account1: 5060 (Shared Number)
    > Account2: 5062
    > Account3: 5064
    >

    > Phone 2:
    > Account1: 5060 (Shared Number)
    > Account2: 5162
    > Account3: 5164
    >

    > I have asked SipGate and Grandstream for help but most of what they
    > ask me to do, doesn't work either.
    >

    > I was just wondering if any one else has had or has a similar issue
    > and how I go about setting this up to run reliabaly.

    It's funny you mention that!

    I've had a recent similar issue with Sipgate connecting to an Asterisk
    PBX. Outgoing fine, incoming no-worky.

    Nothing particularly strange in the setup of the PBX; indeed, I have
    others that were working fine.

    Oddly, in the end, it all sprang to life when I changed Sipgate's
    server address from the IP address that had been entered to
    sipgate.co.uk.

    Another thought occurs - your phone has a static address, have you told
    it what the DNS server addresses are for your network?

    Jono, Feb 27, 2008
  4. Rik

    Al Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> Account1: 5060 (Shared Number)
    >> Account2: 5162
    >> Account3: 5164
    >>

    >> I have asked SipGate and Grandstream for help but most of what they
    >> ask me to do, doesn't work either.
    >>

    >> I was just wondering if any one else has had or has a similar issue
    >> and how I go about setting this up to run reliabaly.
    >>

    > It's funny you mention that!
    >
    > I've had a recent similar issue with Sipgate connecting to an Asterisk
    > PBX. Outgoing fine, incoming no-worky.
    >
    > Nothing particularly strange in the setup of the PBX; indeed, I have
    > others that were working fine.
    >
    > Oddly, in the end, it all sprang to life when I changed Sipgate's server
    > address from the IP address that had been entered to sipgate.co.uk.
    >
    > Another thought occurs - your phone has a static address, have you told it
    > what the DNS server addresses are for your network?

    I missed that bit about IP allocatation whetehreRik. Was waiting for his
    answer re how he was splitting with his SBS etc

    Al

    Al, Feb 27, 2008
  5. Rik

    alexd Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:35:14 -0800, Rik wrote:

    > For the first week or so everything worked fine, I had 3 accounts on one
    > phone, and another 3 on the other, with Account1 being shared on both
    > phones. As I said all was well.
    >
    > Then the problems started, outgoing work fine, no poblems. Incoming
    > calls became intermitant, sometimes you would just get a busy tone (not
    > even forward to VM), Other times you would pick up and it would just cut
    > off, and sometimes it would work.

    How long ago? Mine was a bit rubbish last week, incoming was intermittent
    from a BT line, although seems to be fine now.

    > I have tried having only one phone online with one account, and same
    > problem existed.

    Do you see any hits in your firewall from Sipgate's IPs or to likely-
    looking port numbers when attempting to make calls in? You may need to
    increase logging on your firewall to see this.

    > I was advised to open Ports 5060 UDP (Local SIP Port), Port 5004 UDP
    > (RTP) and Port 10000 UDP (STUN). I created these services, and then
    > added them to the Firewall Rules allowing them to forward to the Static
    > IP of the phone (192.168.16.202) under Inbound Services. I have no
    > rules on the Outbound Services apart from the dealfault which allows any
    > serivce out.

    If you've got the ports only forwarded to one phone, I don't see how the
    other phone is going to work.

    > The second question which I guess is related is that I have 5 SipGate
    > accounts with different telephone numbers, do I need to set the local
    > SIP ports as follows:
    >
    > Phone 1:
    > Account1: 5060 (Shared Number)
    > Account2: 5062
    > Account3: 5064
    >
    > Phone 2:
    > Account1: 5060 (Shared Number)
    > Account2: 5162
    > Account3: 5164

    You should only need one port per physical device. Any sensible SIP
    implementation will know that calls for user@device make user's line
    ring. Can't speak for the Grandstream, however.

    > I was just wondering if any one else has had or has a similar issue and
    > how I go about setting this up to run reliabaly.

    In any situation where I've had more than one SIP device behind NAT, I've
    used a PBX to handle the call routing and I've never had problems.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:54:15 up 3 days, 5:45, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.15, 0.29

    alexd, Feb 27, 2008
  6. Rik

    Rik Guest

    Both phones have their own static IP (192.168.16.201 &
    192.168.16.202), and use the SBS server for DNS (192.168.16.1).
    Gateway is 192.168.16.254 (Although for some reason when ever I make
    a change to the configuration and reboot and logon the Gateway changes
    to 192.168.255.0 ???)

    The phones are on the same switch as the server (which has a single
    NIC) and the PC's, which in turn is connected to the ADSL Modem.

    5 Port Switch
    Port 1=SBS, Port2=PC1, Port3=Spare, Port4= 8port Switch, Port5=ADSL
    Modem

    8 Port Switch
    Port1 (POE)= Phone1 (192.168.16.201), Port2 (POE) = Phone 2
    (192.168.16.202), Port7 = PC2, Port8= Unplink to 5 Port Switch. The
    rest are spare.

    It was sort of worked before I opened up the ports, this was done on
    the advice of SipGate support FAQ.

    It all seems a bit hit and miss at the moment.

    Rik, Feb 27, 2008
  7. Rik

    Rik Guest

    On 27 Feb, 23:03, alexd <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:35:14 -0800, Rik wrote:
    >

    > How long ago? Mine was a bit rubbish last week, incoming was intermittent
    > from a BT line, although seems to be fine now.

    When I first configured them towards the end of last week it seemed
    fine.

    > Do you see any hits in your firewall from Sipgate's IPs or to likely-
    > looking port numbers when attempting to make calls in? You may need to
    > increase logging on your firewall to see this.

    Most say Rule match, although no recognisanle ports that I can see.

    > If you've got the ports only forwarded to one phone, I don't see how the
    > other phone is going to work.

    I have doubled up on each port eg, STUN 1000 service is configured
    twice to forward to both IP's

    > You should only need one port per physical device. Any sensible SIP
    > implementation will know that calls for user@device make user's line
    > ring. Can't speak for the Grandstream, however.

    So all line should be on the same port i.e 5060

    Rik, Feb 27, 2008
  8. Rik

    alexd Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:16:31 -0800, Rik wrote:

    > On 27 Feb, 23:03, alexd <> wrote:

    >> Do you see any hits in your firewall from Sipgate's IPs or to likely-
    >> looking port numbers when attempting to make calls in? You may need to
    >> increase logging on your firewall to see this.

    > Most say Rule match, although no recognisanle ports that I can see.

    Can you actually see traffic coming from Sipgate then? One method of
    testing would be to register some of the accounts from a PC with a
    softphone. You could then use Wireshark to capture traffic while making a
    call in and see what happens.

    >> If you've got the ports only forwarded to one phone, I don't see how
    >> the other phone is going to work.

    > I have doubled up on each port eg, STUN 1000 service is configured twice
    > to forward to both IP's

    With different port numbers I presume.

    > So all line should be on the same port i.e 5060

    Yes that's how it /should/ work. If the web interface on the Grandstream
    doesn't complain when you try to configure it that way, then you should
    be fine. Obviously you can't forward 5060 to more than one phone at once
    unless you've got several public IPs, so if you're forwarding ports then
    one of the handsets will have to be 5061.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    08:55:46 up 3 days, 16:46, 1 user, load average: 0.13, 0.11, 0.09

    alexd, Feb 28, 2008