Sipgate and Asterisk, Calls cut if silence detected

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Sparks, Jul 10, 2005.

  1. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    I have a problem with Sipgate and.or Asterisk...

    Calls are fine. both in and out, the problem is this

    Caller calls my Sipgate number
    I don't answer it, because I am on the phone or not near any of my phones
    Asterisk then diverts the call to my local voicemail (not the Sipgate one)
    The caller hears the announcement, and is prompted to leave a message
    If the message is under about 30 seconds, there isn't a problem
    If the message is longer, they get cut off after 30 seconds.

    I am using Asterisk@home 1.3 (I was using Xorcom Rapid, this had the same
    problem.)

    Someone said it was because there was no data transmitted from my asterisk
    box to the caller for 30 seconds, so the call was terminated, if this is the
    case, what can I do about it!?

    Ta!

    Sparks...
    Sparks, Jul 10, 2005

  2. "Sparks" wrote:
    > If the message is under about 30 seconds, there isn't a problem
    > If the message is longer, they get cut off after 30 seconds.

    Unfortunately this is a known problem.

    > Someone said it was because there was no data transmitted from my asterisk
    > box to the caller for 30 seconds, so the call was terminated, if this is
    > the case, what can I do about it!?

    The ideal solution is for Asterisk to get a full RTCP implementation, which
    will happen in time. However, as a temporary work-around we have a patch
    that you can try. It works by sending a periodic "hiss" to the caller while
    they are leaving a message, which prevents the 30s timer from expiring.

    You can download the patch from http://www.vipadia.com/vcms.py?page=20

    --
    Neil Stratford [Vipadia Limited - www.vipadia.com]
    Neil Stratford, Jul 12, 2005