    telemarketing outfits ?????? I am not accusing only wondering if it
    is a possibility ! .

    , Jul 7, 2005

  2. JuliusP Guest

    Could it be they are just going through the ranges sequentially, since
    these number allocations are available via Ofcom???

    JuliusP, Jul 7, 2005

  3. Guest

    On 6 Jul 2005 17:58:33 -0700, "JuliusP" <> wrote:

    >Could it be they are just going through the ranges sequentially, since
    >these number allocations are available via Ofcom???

    A possibility I must admit but what I cannot understand is if they are
    trying to sell me something why hang up when I answer it does not make
    sense .A fauty line I can understand once but not three times in the
    space of ten days on two different numbers .

    , Jul 7, 2005
  4. Martin² Guest

    >Could it be they are just going through the ranges sequentially, since
    >these number allocations are available via Ofcom???

    That's illegal. If you answer the phone and they don't know your/registered
    name then you should report them to the Data Commissioner.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jul 7, 2005
  5. JuliusP Guest

    I totally agree, I was suggesting how they could have obtained the
    numbers in the first place

    JuliusP, Jul 7, 2005
  6. JuliusP Guest

    Perhaps the application they are using is faulty, perhaps it doesn't
    recognize that you've answered the line and that the call should be
    handed to an agent for live processing

    JuliusP, Jul 7, 2005
  7. Martin² wrote:
    >>Could it be they are just going through the ranges sequentially, since
    >>these number allocations are available via Ofcom???

    > That's illegal. If you answer the phone and they don't know your/registered
    > name then you should report them to the Data Commissioner.
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Illegal it may be but I swear that's how we get an advert for holiday
    clubs at least once a week, we have 2 unlisted numbers that are
    sequentially very close to each other, and when the one that has a lower
    number is called, you can guarantee when the other one will be.

    Surely the law will be broken in the country of origin, and I'm sure
    there are some countries where this is not illegal.

    Thomas Rankin, Jul 7, 2005
  8. Ian Guest

    "JuliusP" <> wrote in message
    > Perhaps the application they are using is faulty, perhaps it doesn't
    > recognize that you've answered the line and that the call should be
    > handed to an agent for live processing

    Hi

    most powerdialer work in an slightly oversquare configeration. Ie more lines
    than agents, The dialer thn uses an alogrithum based on average ring time,
    average number of calls answered and average call duration to work out when
    to dial and on how many lines for each free agent. so you can imagine quite
    a few calls will be dead. The skill is getting the maths correct.

    Ian

    Ian, Jul 7, 2005
  9. Don Carter Guest

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:26:45 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >most powerdialer work in an slightly oversquare configeration. Ie more lines
    >than agents, The dialer thn uses an alogrithum based on average ring time,
    >average number of calls answered and average call duration to work out when
    >to dial and on how many lines for each free agent. so you can imagine quite
    >a few calls will be dead. The skill is getting the maths correct.
    >
    >Ian

    No, the skill lies in getting the perpetrators accurately lined up in
    the crosshairs!

    Don Carter, Jul 7, 2005
  10. Martin² Guest

    Coincidentally I have looked on my sipgate account and I see I have missed
    four calls from
    02089034122, 02089034442 and 02072867059 (2).

    As still use Xten softphone I haven't given my No. to anyone...
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jul 8, 2005
  11. Joe Harrison Guest

    I'm getting similar silent calls coming in either on my Sipgate or IPKall
    numbers. As the b'stard things seem to come in the middle of the night my
    money currently is on IPKall. But ta for "Telefocus" heads-up.

    Joe Harrison, Jul 9, 2005
  12. Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 08:17:47 GMT, "Joe Harrison"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm getting similar silent calls coming in either on my Sipgate or IPKall
    >numbers. As the b'stard things seem to come in the middle of the night my
    >money currently is on IPKall. But ta for "Telefocus" heads-up.

    I am not saying who my money is on Joe :))) .

    , Jul 9, 2005
  13. Silent Calls

    Silent Calls such as those described are covered by powers held by
    Ofcom.

    For information on how to stop these, and stuff on related telephone
    nuisance please visit:
    http://www.users.waitrose.com/~SilentCalls

    David

    Silent Calls Victim, Jul 9, 2005
  14. Terry Guest

    Re: Silent Calls

    "Silent Calls Victim" <> wrote in message
    > Silent Calls such as those described are covered by powers held by
    > Ofcom.
    >
    > For information on how to stop these, and stuff on related telephone
    > nuisance please visit:
    >

    > David

    I doubt the contents of your website has any relevance to this particular
    case.

    Terry, Jul 9, 2005
  15. Re: Silent Calls

    Terry

    Please help me (offline if you need to be rude). I cannot see how the
    nuisance being suffered is any different to that experienced on a
    conventional landline.

    David

    Silent Calls Victim, Jul 10, 2005
  16. Terry Guest

    Re: Silent Calls

    > Terry
    >
    > Please help me (offline if you need to be rude). I cannot see how the
    > nuisance being suffered is any different to that experienced on a
    > conventional landline.
    >
    > David

    David, I wasn't being rude, forgive me if you think I was, but the pure fact
    of the matter is that Vo-ip and the technology surrounding it is still
    fairly new. The providers in many cases are still beta testing their
    services to some extent, and there are many other services online offering
    links from different countries/continents all over the world, many of which
    probably don't come under the rule of Ofcom or any UK based rules. Your
    website, is useful regarding silent calls I agree, but vo-ip is so complex
    in some cases, you may appear to be getting silent calls, when infact all
    that is happening is the provider is either having problems, or maybe the
    user has something incorectly configured which is causing the silent call
    effect. I don't doubt that your website is wholly correct in what
    information it gives, but does it really apply to vo-ip, which is still in
    its early stages of development, especially when we are talking about
    providers of vo-ip from other countries, I'm not sure. At no point on your
    page does it mention iax, sip, or any other new technologies that people are
    testing out at the moment, and it has to be asked whether of not the rules
    defined by Ofom apply to internet related telephone companies, some of which
    reside entirely outside the UK. Many companies also provide free services,
    that are hit and miss and they have their fair share of problems, so with
    all due respect, anything can happen whilst all the problems are ironed out
    and this unfortunately includes the problem of 'silent calls', 'placed calls
    not being connected properly', 'service outages', and any number of other
    problems. Besides these fact, I'm sure the regulators in this country have
    enough on their plates trying to sort out problems reported to them relating
    to the standard telephone systems in place in the UK, without adding the
    problems of vo-ip to the growing pile.

    Terry, Jul 11, 2005
  17. Re: Silent Calls

    Terry

    Thank you. I feared that I may have totally misunderstood the situation
    and needed a sharp rebuke.

    The "persistent misuse" powers held by Ofcom and the Statement of
    Policy which indicates how they will be used are very deliberately
    neutral with regard to technology. Anyone persistently using a
    telecommunications network or telecommunications service in a way that
    causes annoyance, inconvenience or anxiety through a pattern of
    deliberate behaviour or recklessness is subject to use of the powers.

    "Anyone" is a person or company that falls within Ofcom's jurisdiction,
    regardless of how or from where the calls are made. This is about users
    of the networks or services, carriers are regulated separately.

    If I understood the earlier example given in the thread correctly it
    seemed as though the only significance of voip was that use of a voip
    number marked out the user as a target for direct marketing.

    I understand the point about voip being in its early stages and that
    there are perhaps greater current prioirities for Ofcom. If however
    voip is likely to carry the potential for significant public nuisance
    it is important that this is properly addressed at the earliest
    possible opportunity. It is also important that we are not dazzled by
    the technology into losing sight of basic values.

    Excitement about the technology of the power dialler allowed a degree
    of blindness about what is simple unacceptable nuisance to prevail. I
    would not wish the same thing to happen with voip. This should have
    nothing to do with standing for or against advances in technology;
    nuisance is nuisance.

    If anyone believes that the website,
    http://www.users.waitrose.com/~SilentCalls, should include something
    about voip I would be very happy to include it.

    David

    Silent Calls Victim, Jul 11, 2005
  18. Ivor Jones Guest

    Re: Silent Calls

    "Silent Calls Victim" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > If anyone believes that the website,
    > http://www.users.waitrose.com/~SilentCalls, should include something
    > about voip I would be very happy to include it.
    >
    > David

    You might like to include a statement to the fact that sometimes, if there
    are problems with a VoIP configuration, or network problems, then one way
    audio is sometimes experienced on a VoIP system. I have a problem in fact
    at the moment on one of my lines where the caller can hear me but I can't
    hear them.

    Something along the lines of

    "If you or a caller are using a Voice over Internet (VoIP) phone system,
    then be aware that due to problems that can sometimes occur, one way
    audio, where one party can hear the other but not the other way round, can
    occur. Sometimes, no audio in either direction can happen. This can be
    entirely random and should not be taken as a deliberate malicious or
    silent call."

    What do you think..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 11, 2005
  19. Terry Guest

    Re: Silent Calls

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    >I have a problem in fact at the moment on one of my lines where the caller
    >can hear me but I can't hear them.

    Same problem I had Ivor. I cured mine by turning 'STUN Test Enable:' to off
    under the SIP configuration in the sipura.

    Terry

    Terry, Jul 11, 2005
  20. Ivor Jones Guest

    Re: Silent Calls

    "Terry" <> wrote in message

    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>I have a problem in fact at the moment on one of my lines where the
    >>caller can hear me but I can't hear them.

    > Same problem I had Ivor. I cured mine by turning 'STUN Test Enable:' to
    > off under the SIP configuration in the sipura.
    >
    > Terry

    Thanks Terry..! That has been bugging me for ages..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 11, 2005