    the SIP account ID

    I was wondering if this will cause problems, since it is possible for
    two users with unique Geo numbers to have the same last seven digits
    Julius, Sep 13, 2005

  2. Julius

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On 12 Sep 2005 17:15:29 -0700, "Julius" <> wrote:

    >I noticed that sipgate uses the last seven digits of the Geo number as
    >the SIP account ID
    >
    >I was wondering if this will cause problems, since it is possible for
    >two users with unique Geo numbers to have the same last seven digits

    My Sipgate number is "1", followed by the last six digits of my
    assigned number. If someone else were ever assigned a number with the
    same last six digits, they could always use a different prefix from
    the "1" I have.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Sep 13, 2005

  3. Julius

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Julius" <> wrote in message
    > I noticed that sipgate uses the last seven digits of the
    > Geo number as the SIP account ID
    >
    > I was wondering if this will cause problems, since it is
    > possible for two users with unique Geo numbers to have
    > the same last seven digits

    On PSTN lines, yes. VoIP isn't the PSTN. No two SIP ID's on the same
    network can be the same, Sipgate is a worldwide network, so no two SIP
    ID's on their entire system can be the same. You actually have it the
    wrong way round - the SIP ID is usually (but not always) used as the last
    part of the associated PSTN number, not vice versa.

    Note also that the first of the 7 digits of the SIP number is usually the
    same as the corresponding digit in the PSTN number, but it isn't always
    so. London numbers are the obvious example - the SIP ID 143xxxx will
    normally have the PSTN number 020 7043 xxxx. Sometimes the SIP ID and the
    PSTN number can be completely different; if you change your PSTN number
    the SIP ID will stay the same, as it is the SIP number that identifies
    your account.

    Hope this helps,

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 13, 2005
  4. Julius

    Julius Guest

    > My Sipgate number is "1", followed by the last six digits of my
    > assigned number

    Well for me and a friend who registered in different cities, it is
    exactly the last seven digits of the telephone number

    It could cause issues, unless they've got some mechanism to make sure
    each ID is unique

    Of course I'm not saying there is any issue, just that there could be,
    I'm sure they've considered it

    Julius.
    Julius, Sep 14, 2005
  5. Julius

    Julius Guest

    > On PSTN lines, yes. VoIP isn't the PSTN. No two SIP ID's on the same
    > network can be the same

    Oh I know and understand that, but if they are using the4 last seven
    digits without pre-cautions to ensure uniqueness, this could be a
    problem.

    Having said that, there probably isn't any issue. I was just posing the
    question

    In my reply to Chris, bboth a friend and myselfs SIPgate ID are exactly
    the last seven digits of our respective telephone numbers

    As a further test, I just changed the telephone number to something
    different within the account management website and the SIP ID remains
    the previous last seven digits, but I have a new number completely

    BTW, I have no complaints with this service so far, call quality is
    good, no registration issues experienced like I did with 'voipfone', so
    far, so good

    Julius
    Julius, Sep 14, 2005
  6. Wait till the weekend come Friday night you will find sipgate virtually
    grinds to a halt
    LordSmickerAbacha, Sep 14, 2005
  7. Julius

    Julius Guest

    >Wait till the weekend come Friday night you will find sipgate virtually
    >grinds to a halt

    OK, we'll give it a shot around then
    Julius, Sep 14, 2005
  8. Good Luck and do report back if you have any issues as we have a resident
    sipgate employee in these forums i do believe.
    LordSmickerAbacha, Sep 14, 2005
  9. Julius

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Julius" <> wrote in message
    > > On PSTN lines, yes. VoIP isn't the PSTN. No two SIP
    > > ID's on the same network can be the same

    > Oh I know and understand that, but if they are using the4
    > last seven digits without pre-cautions to ensure
    > uniqueness, this could be a problem.

    As I said, the PSTN numbers issued are usually (but not always) based on
    the SIP ID, *not* the other way round.

    > Having said that, there probably isn't any issue. I was
    > just posing the question
    >
    > In my reply to Chris, bboth a friend and myselfs SIPgate
    > ID are exactly the last seven digits of our respective
    > telephone numbers

    Yes, that's usually the case, but they may not be. I suspect that where
    they are not, there is already a number in existence with those digits.

    > As a further test, I just changed the telephone number to
    > something different within the account management website
    > and the SIP ID remains the previous last seven digits,
    > but I have a new number completely

    The SIP ID is your account number and never alters. You can change the
    PSTN number as often as you like.

    > BTW, I have no complaints with this service so far, call
    > quality is good, no registration issues experienced like
    > I did with 'voipfone', so far, so good

    Glad to hear it..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 14, 2005
  10. Julius

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Julius" <> wrote in message
    > > Wait till the weekend come Friday night you will find
    > > sipgate virtually grinds to a halt

    > OK, we'll give it a shot around then

    Ye gods this is getting boring.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 14, 2005
  11. Just watch as the Krauts get off to the pub about 12 on Friday watch the
    service steadily
    slip.............................................................................
    away until magically reappearing on Monday morning when Hanz and Fritz
    decide to make it into the cowshed.
    LordSmickerAbacha, Sep 14, 2005
  12. Julius

    Julius Guest

    I might have guessed

    This group is becoming boring
    Julius, Sep 14, 2005
  13. Julius

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Julius" <> wrote in message
    > I might have guessed
    >
    > This group is becoming boring

    I apologise for any part I may have played. Sometimes it's difficult to
    sit and watch while you're being personally attacked in public.

    I really don't think saying I am happy with Sipgate warrants all this.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 14, 2005
  14. Ivor give it a rest yes even i am bored but all you have to do is admit
    how you get the inside information faster than anyone else, thats the only
    reason some of us believe your involved with sipgate, why are you hiding it
    ?
    LordSmickerAbacha, Sep 14, 2005
  15. I would also like to state i have no issues with you as a person but the
    only issues i do have is with your involvement with sipgate, set the record
    straight eyevor, if youre not involved say so, if you are at least tell us
    how you get all the information before anyone else seems to do.
    LordSmickerAbacha, Sep 14, 2005
  16. Julius

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "LordSmickerAbacha" <> wrote in message
    > Ivor give it a rest yes even i am bored but all you
    > have to do is admit how you get the inside information
    > faster than anyone else, thats the only reason some of us
    > believe your involved with sipgate, why are you hiding it
    > ?

    Give it a rest..?! That's a laugh coming from you. I don't have to admit
    anything to you, continually referring to what you believe exists won't
    change that. I have said I have an interest in Sipgate, so I have but what
    that interest is is nothing to do with you or anyone else and that is the
    end of the matter as far as I am concerned. It has no bearing whatsover on
    why I say I am a satisfied customer, nor does it have anything to do with
    where I get information from, which is the same place anyone else gets
    information from Sipgate from. If you want to read something mysterious
    and deep into that go right ahead but stop trolling this group because of
    it.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 14, 2005
  17. Julius

    > I would also like to state i have no issues with you as a
    > person but the only issues i do have is with your
    > involvement with sipgate, set the record straight eyevor,
    > if youre not involved say so, if you are at least tell us
    > how you get all the information before anyone else seems
    > to do.

    See my previous post.

    End of discussion, if you can call it that.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 14, 2005
  18. "Im sorry ivor youve done it again totally sidestepped the point in
    question, i will now sit back in my big leather cahir which by the way cost
    me over £600 and watch you carry on defending sipgate to the hilt when the
    truth is IVOR JONES IS PART OF THE SIPGATE MANAGEMNET BUT WILL NOT ADMIT IT

    Im bored of this now so you wont hear much from me for a long time to come

    Enjoy the buses Olive bwahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    LordSmickerAbacha, Sep 14, 2005
  19. Julius

    Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:44:39 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >If you want to read something mysterious
    >and deep into that go right ahead but stop trolling this group because of
    >it.

    There you go again telling some one what to do when you have no
    authority what so ever to do so oh I forgot you own this group don't
    you .
    , Sep 14, 2005
  20. Julius

    David Floyd Guest

    In message of Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Julius writes

    >> On PSTN lines, yes. VoIP isn't the PSTN. No two SIP ID's on the same
    >> network can be the same

    >Oh I know and understand that, but if they are using the4 last seven
    >digits without pre-cautions to ensure uniqueness, this could be a
    >problem.

    They are not. This discussion has been on here before.

    I have two Bristol numbers where the last seven digits are the and I
    also have a Devizes number ( on a new account) and the 7 digit SIP
    number is COMPLETELY different.

    David
    David Floyd, Sep 15, 2005