    So, I hate paying BT, I never use the damm phone for incoming or outgoing.

    So, should I take up this deal and get rid of the phone.

    Basically my daughter is the only one who uses it for her friends etc..
    PhilÅ, Sep 10, 2005

  2. PhilÅ

    Anon Y Mous Guest

    PhilÅ wrote:
    > Ok, for £6 PCM 1000 mins.
    >
    > So, I hate paying BT, I never use the damm phone for incoming or outgoing.
    >
    > So, should I take up this deal and get rid of the phone.
    >
    > Basically my daughter is the only one who uses it for her friends etc..

    Sounds good except that minimum top-up is £10 and then the £6 is
    deducted from your balance, they don't refund usused credit so in effect
    it's £10PCM, which strangely enough is what Vonage charge for unlimited
    calls. Look at them and also www.voipfone.co.uk before making a decision.
    Anon Y Mous, Sep 10, 2005

  3. PhilÅ

    Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:25:01 GMT, "PhilÅ" <>
    wrote:

    >Ok, for £6 PCM 1000 mins.
    >
    >So, I hate paying BT, I never use the damm phone for incoming or outgoing.
    >
    >So, should I take up this deal and get rid of the phone.

    Getting rid of the phone if you have a cable connection is a good idea
    but getting rid of your phone in favor of a VOIP line from Sipgate is
    a very bad idea go with any other VOIP provider but not Sipgate.
    But it isn't £ 6.00 for 1000mins is it !! it is £ 10.00 with £ 4.00
    held in credit but at the end of the first month you will have to
    shell out a further £ 10.00 to make up the £ 4.00 held in credit to £
    £6.00 again. I wonder how much interest the Bundesbank is paying
    Sipgate on all the left over's that Sipgate are holding .
    , Sep 10, 2005
  4. PhilÅ

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Anon Y Mous" <..@..> wrote in message
    > PhilÅ wrote:
    > > Ok, for £6 PCM 1000 mins.
    > >
    > > So, I hate paying BT, I never use the damm phone for
    > > incoming or outgoing. So, should I take up this deal and get rid of
    > > the phone.
    > >
    > > Basically my daughter is the only one who uses it for
    > > her friends etc..

    > Sounds good except that minimum top-up is £10 and then
    > the £6 is deducted from your balance, they don't refund
    > usused credit so in effect it's £10PCM, which strangely
    > enough is what Vonage charge for unlimited calls. Look at
    > them and also www.voipfone.co.uk before making a
    > decision.

    Not quite. Yes you have to topup by £10 the first time you put credit on
    your account, but if you go for the 1000 minutes option you only get
    charged £5.90 per month after that. If you decide to stop using this
    option the remaining credit can be used at the normal PAYG rates so yes
    you're £4.10 in credit over the amount you need to be, but that cash is
    not inaccessible it can be used for calls once you come off the 1000
    option.

    The 1000 option is really only of value if you can guarantee to make
    enough calls for it to be worthwhile, otherwise it's better to stay on the
    normal PAYG tariff.

    Don't get rid of the landline altogether, Sipgate as with most VoIP
    services is really designed as an extra line not a replacement one. Unless
    you have cable you'll still need a BT line anyway.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 10, 2005
  5. PhilÅ

    Ian Guest

    "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, for £6 PCM 1000 mins.
    >
    > So, I hate paying BT, I never use the damm phone for incoming or outgoing.
    >
    > So, should I take up this deal and get rid of the phone.
    >
    > Basically my daughter is the only one who uses it for her friends etc..

    The 1000 mins ONLY cover landline calls all other calls are charged at
    sipgates normal rates and billed by the minute not second as per other
    suppliers (And how Sipgate are billed by their suppliers). Their mobile rate
    is nearly 15ppm so beware.

    Ian
    Ian, Sep 10, 2005
  6. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    "Anon Y Mous" <..@..> wrote in message
    > PhilÅ wrote:
    >> Ok, for £6 PCM 1000 mins.
    >>
    >> So, I hate paying BT, I never use the damm phone for incoming or
    >> outgoing.
    >>
    >> So, should I take up this deal and get rid of the phone.
    >>
    >> Basically my daughter is the only one who uses it for her friends etc..
    >>

    > Sounds good except that minimum top-up is £10 and then the £6 is deducted
    > from your balance, they don't refund usused credit so in effect it's
    > £10PCM, which strangely enough is what Vonage charge for unlimited calls.
    > Look at them and also www.voipfone.co.uk before making a decision.

    Just having a look at voipfone.

    Interesting thing is that for £1 I can have 100 SMS txts, which is great.

    No I think from a quick read it is on the PC, but is there a fancy handset,
    pref hands free that can send sms's??
    PhilÅ, Sep 10, 2005
  7. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    "Anon Y Mous" <..@..> wrote in message
    > PhilÅ wrote:
    >> Ok, for £6 PCM 1000 mins.
    >>
    >> So, I hate paying BT, I never use the damm phone for incoming or
    >> outgoing.
    >>
    >> So, should I take up this deal and get rid of the phone.
    >>
    >> Basically my daughter is the only one who uses it for her friends etc..
    >>

    > Sounds good except that minimum top-up is £10 and then the £6 is deducted
    > from your balance, they don't refund usused credit so in effect it's
    > £10PCM, which strangely enough is what Vonage charge for unlimited calls.
    > Look at them and also www.voipfone.co.uk before making a decision.

    I don't understand it being £10 PCM, if I credit my account with £20, than
    that will last at least 3 months??
    PhilÅ, Sep 10, 2005
  8. PhilÅ

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message
    > "Anon Y Mous" <..@..> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > > Sounds good except that minimum top-up is £10 and then
    > > the £6 is deducted from your balance, they don't refund
    > > usused credit so in effect it's £10PCM, which strangely
    > > enough is what Vonage charge for unlimited calls. Look
    > > at them and also www.voipfone.co.uk before making a
    > > decision.

    > I don't understand it being £10 PCM, if I credit my
    > account with £20, than that will last at least 3 months??

    Correct. Although it is still only of value if you will use all the time
    as the minutes don't roll over. Also it is only to geographic landline
    numbers not 0870 or mobiles.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 10, 2005
  9. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    > The 1000 option is really only of value if you can guarantee to make
    > enough calls for it to be worthwhile, otherwise it's better to stay on the
    > normal PAYG tariff.
    >
    > Don't get rid of the landline altogether, Sipgate as with most VoIP
    > services is really designed as an extra line not a replacement one. Unless
    > you have cable you'll still need a BT line anyway.
    >
    > Ivor

    Hi Ivor

    I currently have 2 incomming BT lines.

    One is on a In Contact tarrif, well hidden within BT. Cost £3 PCM. Incomming
    calls only, no 1471 or any features.
    I would keep this as this is what people call me on.

    The other line I am paying the standard £10.50, with CPS calls with onetel.
    I would get rid of this line... And why the hell not??

    I am only cable for the BB.

    Will checkout sipgates standard tarrif, me thinks
    PhilÅ, Sep 10, 2005
  10. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message
    >> "Anon Y Mous" <..@..> wrote in message

    > [snip]
    >
    >> > Sounds good except that minimum top-up is £10 and then
    >> > the £6 is deducted from your balance, they don't refund
    >> > usused credit so in effect it's £10PCM, which strangely
    >> > enough is what Vonage charge for unlimited calls. Look
    >> > at them and also www.voipfone.co.uk before making a
    >> > decision.

    >> I don't understand it being £10 PCM, if I credit my
    >> account with £20, than that will last at least 3 months??

    > Correct. Although it is still only of value if you will use all the time
    > as the minutes don't roll over. Also it is only to geographic landline
    > numbers not 0870 or mobiles.

    Hmmm, sipgate 1.2p landlines, she chats to local friends of a night.. I have
    asked my daughter to ask her friends to get a sipgate account, but they
    haven't got a clue... shame...
    PhilÅ, Sep 10, 2005
  11. PhilÅ

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message

    > Hi Ivor
    >
    > I currently have 2 incomming BT lines.
    >
    > One is on a In Contact tarrif, well hidden within BT.
    > Cost £3 PCM. Incomming calls only, no 1471 or any
    > features. I would keep this as this is what people call me on.

    I use mine for a fax number as FoIP (Fax over IP) is still rather
    problematic and Sipgate doesn't yet support the T38 protocol. But
    certainly if you have 2 lines get rid of one of them.

    > The other line I am paying the standard £10.50, with CPS
    > calls with onetel. I would get rid of this line... And
    > why the hell not??

    None at all, see above..!

    > I am only cable for the BB.

    What speed/tariff are you on..? You may be better off with ADSL on the
    remaining BT line, although it may not be available on the tariff you
    have..!

    > Will checkout sipgates standard tarrif, me thinks

    It's basically 1.19p per minute (billed per minute) for all geo numbers,
    the rates for 0845/0870 and mobiles are rather high, you'll almost
    certainly be better off using the BT line for these. Check out the tariffs
    here https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php. However there is no
    monthly fee.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 10, 2005
  12. PhilÅ

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Hmmm, sipgate 1.2p landlines, she chats to local friends
    > of a night.. I have asked my daughter to ask her friends
    > to get a sipgate account, but they haven't got a clue...
    > shame...

    Indeed, or any other VoIP provider that Sipgate peer with. Most of the
    people I call on Sipgate are also users, I put £20 on one of my lines (it
    was the minimum amount at the time) almost a year ago and I've used around
    £4..!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Sep 10, 2005
  13. PhilÅ

    Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:43:57 GMT, "PhilÅ" <>
    wrote:

    >One is on a In Contact tarrif, well hidden within BT. Cost £3 PCM. Incomming
    >calls only, no 1471 or any features.

    If it is well hidden how did you find it ? I would like to know more
    about this .
    , Sep 10, 2005
  14. PhilÅ

    SK Guest

    sipgate are rubbish
    SK, Sep 10, 2005
  15. PhilÅ

    Jono Guest

    wrote:
    || On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:43:57 GMT, "PhilÅ" <>
    || wrote:
    ||| One is on a In Contact tarrif, well hidden within BT. Cost £3 PCM.
    ||| Incomming calls only, no 1471 or any features.
    || If it is well hidden how did you find it ? I would like to know more
    || about this .

    I thought he meant the fact he had the line was well hidden - BT's In
    Contact service prohibits any other phone lines to the house, including
    mobiles.
    Jono, Sep 10, 2005
  16. PhilÅ

    Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:13:25 GMT, "SK" <>
    wrote:

    >sipgate are rubbish

    Please tell us something that we don't know .
    , Sep 10, 2005
  17. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    PhilÅ, Sep 10, 2005
  18. PhilÅ

    Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:26:28 GMT, "Jono" <>
    wrote:
    >I thought he meant the fact he had the line was well hidden - BT's In
    >Contact service prohibits any other phone lines to the house, including
    >mobiles.

    So how are they going to know if you have a mobile ? .
    , Sep 10, 2005
  19. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    > || If it is well hidden how did you find it ? I would like to know more
    > || about this .
    >
    > I thought he meant the fact he had the line was well hidden - BT's In
    > Contact service prohibits any other phone lines to the house, including
    > mobiles.

    I moved into a house three years ago which was flats, converted, but BT
    still has it down as flat 1 flat 2 etc...

    You are right, I am not supposed to have the service as I already have a
    other line available.

    Also have a mobile.

    Have had my incontact line for 6 years now.
    PhilÅ, Sep 10, 2005
  20. PhilÅ

    Jono Guest

    wrote:
    || On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:26:28 GMT, "Jono" <>
    || wrote:
    ||| I thought he meant the fact he had the line was well hidden - BT's
    ||| In Contact service prohibits any other phone lines to the house,
    ||| including mobiles.
    || So how are they going to know if you have a mobile ? .

    I didn't say they'd know. Eligibility of the scheme states that it is not
    available if you have any other telephone supplier. It relys on honesty.

    The amusing thing is, you'd expect them to know that they are the supplier
    of at least one of the other telephone services the OP receives.
    Jono, Sep 10, 2005